Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SniperWoreConverse posted:

1: i'm pissed fuckin power conduits are staffable and it never told me. I would have prob tried to put it next to a workshop (not that I can afford one)
2: what's the deal with advanced war center, it just increases healing rate or lets you change what perks you picked, that's it? kind of a rip off imo seeing as you don't get extra heals unless it's staffed

trying to max out my ability to use a workshop because I have no fuckin engeneers. I would have reversed the locations of the advanced war and power conduits if I knew

e: prob should have never built this stupid hospital

The AWC gives you a random like 10-15% chance to get a random perk on your soldiers when they get promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Prioritize Skullmining and hope you get a lead from that?

This is why you keep the Blacksite in your back pocket

LordNat
May 16, 2009

1: i'm pissed fuckin power conduits are staffable and it never told me. I would have prob tried to put it next to a workshop (not that I can afford one)
2: what's the deal with advanced war center, it just increases healing rate or lets you change what perks you picked, that's it? kind of a rip off imo seeing as you don't get extra heals unless it's staffed

trying to max out my ability to use a workshop because I have no fuckin engeneers. I would have reversed the locations of the advanced war and power conduits if I knew

It can also make it so classes gain perks from other classes when leveling up. It is retro active (kind of, you need to clear a mission with the person for it to trigger) so it is not a must buy ASAP. It is nice later game so you can keep some of your key players on the field longer.

Also not sure if this was posted in here but the 25% bonus from kills thing from the GTS is also retro active so if you but it mid/late game you will likely get some free levels.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Some days I regret picking Reaper over Rapid Fire on my Colonel Ranger.

This is not one of those days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsUrZyKaJ2M

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

LordNat posted:

It can also make it so classes gain perks from other classes when leveling up. It is retro active (kind of, you need to clear a mission with the person for it to trigger) so it is not a must buy ASAP. It is nice later game so you can keep some of your key players on the field longer.

Also not sure if this was posted in here but the 25% bonus from kills thing from the GTS is also retro active so if you but it mid/late game you will likely get some free levels.

wait so how does the level up perks thing work? Next time a guy levels up they get extra perks from some rando other class?
good to know about wet work, i'm glad they're doing stuff like this retroactively because it'd otherwise pressure you into getting poo poo built in a specific way.

Still pissed about that fuckin power console thing, I would have def swapped positions.

Not as pissed as Bradford is re: alien burgers, he's gonna fuckin murder some rooks.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Also on the note of research. You don't really need to head into Tier 2 stuff early. You are better off unlocking things like Radio Towers and Psi Ops ASAP. Those matter much more then getting T2 stuff before you can really afford it.

wait so how does the level up perks thing work? Next time a guy levels up they get extra perks from some rando other class?

It is a low (15~%) chance any time someone gains a level to gain a random perk from another class. I have had people get end game perks the first time they level. It is very RNG tho so don't expect it, just be happy for it when it does happen.

LordNat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 8, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you have two pips plus a couple of weeks, you should have plenty of time to expand to a facility nation. You should get enough Intel from council missions/ops. You may have to deliberately fail a retaliation mission to clear up comms but that can be fixed at a later date

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This seems so alien to me because it is like the exact opposite of my experience between the two games. The first geoscape was extremely stressful and luck-based. You basically had to go satellite rushing and also hope that you could get enough engineers in time, and managing panic was basically where 90% of your resources were going for the first two months, while also hoping you rolled well on the excavation or steam vents, because otherwise goodbye huge chunk of credits. Blowing off an abduction raised panic in 6 different countries. Blowing off a terror mission was permanent and irrevocable damage.

This is absolutely not the case here. Guerrilla ops are, yeah choose which two bad things you want to hit you, but most of those go away after a month, and you know what those things will be ahead of time so you can plan for them. You can blow off a retaliation mission and lose that country, but then you can always get them back, only a little worse for wear. Hell, having an estimated timer to the next retaliation mission is such a key piece of help in terms of your planning. The black site is always near your start, so you always have a safety valve if you are nearing the end of the countdown timer.

Except Terror missions weren't being done off the back of a constant chain of resistance missions that also would penalize you harshly for disregarding them. The only thing that happened if you blew off a mission was that Panic would rise, which could be fixed at your discretion (relatively speaking). You only really hosed yourself up there if you got lazy. The Geoscape in XCOM2 is a hellish nuisance constantly pestering you about three or four different things, and if you say no to any of them it will punish you then and there for your impudence. Which is not a good thing when you're already being harassed for the other two or three things. Any one of XCOM2 nuisances on their own would not be a bad thing, the issue is they all combine into one big overly taxing experience.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except Terror missions weren't being done off the back of a constant chain of resistance missions that also would penalize you harshly for disregarding them.

What difficulty did you play EU on :confused:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The dark events are usually difficulty modifiers that add some challenge but are usually not back-breaking. And again, you get plenty of notice on what they are.

This is unlike panic management, which can totally gently caress you because of randomness, and which has permanent debilitating consequences, and which you could also screw yourself if you don't launch satellites correctly at the end of the month and end up getting an abduction mission in a continent with already full coverage

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

The Advanced War Center also gives your guys a bonus perk outside their speciality. It happens once randomly on level-up.

So you can get a Sniper with Guardian or a Ranger with Serial. Both of which are pretty crazy.

Besides, with wounds being so common and heal times so long, the 100% heal boost is almost mandatory. It was the first building I built and I don't regret it in the slightest.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except Terror missions weren't being done off the back of a constant chain of resistance missions that also would penalize you harshly for disregarding them. The only thing that happened if you blew off a mission was that Panic would rise, which could be fixed at your discretion (relatively speaking). You only really hosed yourself up there if you got lazy. The Geoscape in XCOM2 is a hellish nuisance constantly pestering you about three or four different things, and if you say no to any of them it will punish you then and there for your impudence. Which is not a good thing when you're already being harassed for the other two or three things. Any one of XCOM2 nuisances on their own would not be a bad thing, the issue is they all combine into one big overly taxing experience.

If you ignored any mission in EU/EW you got critical game ending results. If you ignore a UFO it'll shoot down your satellites and raise panic by 3-4 in that continent, if you ignored an abduction chain panic went up world wide by 3, if you ignored a terror mission you instantly lose a country and panic goes up world wide, and if you gently caress up ID'ing EXALT, you lose a country. EU/EW absolutely did not accept loss or ignoring missions, period.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My Captain got Facelessed and now I don't have any Gunslingers. :( What's a good way to patch up fresh voids in your squad makeup without having to level up rookies? Resistance HQ has only ever offered a couple of expensive engineers, and last I checked the Black Market only had a Ranger (of which I have no lack)

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

If you ignored any mission in EU/EW you got critical game ending results. If you ignore a UFO it'll shoot down your satellites and raise panic by 3-4 in that continent, if you ignored an abduction chain panic went up world wide by 3, if you ignored a terror mission you instantly lose a country and panic goes up world wide, and if you gently caress up ID'ing EXALT, you lose a country. EU/EW absolutely did not accept loss or ignoring missions, period.

I think that is one of the reasons people get more frustrated with failed runs on Xcom 2. It's failure is a slower march to death rather than a cascading explosion.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Kins posted:

My Captain got Facelessed and now I don't have any Gunslingers. :( What's a good way to patch up fresh voids in your squad makeup without having to level up rookies? Resistance HQ has only ever offered a couple of expensive engineers, and last I checked the Black Market only had a Ranger (of which I have no lack)

Use the Guerilla Tactics school to choose a character's class, and also make sure to get the other perks which increase the amount of XP soldiers get.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
If you use the Guerrilla tactics school you can level a guy up to Squadie in your chosen class for free after 5 days without having to take a rookie on missions. They aren't great, but I found it to be good enough to get most guys going, particularly if you give them a weapon with a scope or a few charity kills on their first couple of missions.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does Stock trigger Repeater?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It feels a bit weird that after you break concealment, it's better for enemies to find you than for you to find them. Since if they find you during their turn, they don't get a free turn to attack you.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I've gotten a bunch of requests for more country mods on Steam, so I've set up a Google form for it. If you write in the notes that you're from here, I'll prioritize it over requests from random people.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Substandard posted:

Plus, if you take Implacable, you can generally just Run and Gun right up to the enemy, Rapid fire double tap them in the face for 20+ damage, then retreat back to cover with your extra move after killing a guy.

My preferred ranger setup is Phantom / Shadowstep / Run and Gun / Implacable / Untouchable / Rapid Fire.
run and gun plus implacable is such a good combo that i'm probably gonna mod the ranger tree so that they're opposing skills and I can't take both

plus put implacable over on the sword skills side and have r&g on the scout shotgun side. because a skill that allows you to run up to a guy, slice them in half, and run away before anyone can react is just way better as a sword skill. that way the right side will be a complete RULES OF NATURE build.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LordNat posted:

I think that is one of the reasons people get more frustrated with failed runs on Xcom 2. It's failure is a slower march to death rather than a cascading explosion.

I think that's basically it. If I make a decision that's going to end my campaign, just slap me for it right then. Don't let me play for three more hours only to realize, "poo poo, I hosed up three hours ago and now I don't think I can win this."

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think that's basically it. If I make a decision that's going to end my campaign, just slap me for it right then. Don't let me play for three more hours only to realize, "poo poo, I hosed up three hours ago and now I don't think I can win this."

The thing is that in XCOM 2 you have to gently caress up super hard to be in a completely irrecoverable situation. You can probably get out of any situation so long as you have at least a week left on your doom timer.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So...is there any downside to expanding your territory? I played it really conservative early and didn't extend myself at all because I thought there might be some traps there, but now I'm leading half the planet with no obvious negatives. Should have done this from the start.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Since I restarted my legend game, I've been using rangers as sword rangers and they are pretty bad rear end one shoting stun lancers.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

commander's choice mod when

I want to do a rangers only ninja clan run. SMGs, flashbangs, smoke grenades and honorable blades only. Stupid nicknames and full face masks for everyone.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Vengarr posted:

So...is there any downside to expanding your territory? I played it really conservative early and didn't extend myself at all because I thought there might be some traps there, but now I'm leading half the planet with no obvious negatives. Should have done this from the start.

As far as I can tell the more you expand the request missions you get. Turning one down or failing it can break your connection with an area (and areas it connects you too). The upside is more supplies and rewards from those missions.

IMO the best thing to do is grab the Radio tech and the Skulljack ASAP, do a jack a dude each mission for the free 20~ Intel and hammer out expanding your area. Build order I like is Coms -> Proving Ground -> Power (if you don't get a random power reward scan) -> GTS.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011

The Kins posted:

Besides the already mentioned rookie training, it's also pretty viable to just deploy a pile of rookies with maybe a shredgunner to help them out with tough enemies if you're up to date on standard issue tech.

Even Rookies can be pretty effective with some judicious use of grenades and high tech assault rifles; my best ever terror mission involved four rookies because all my more qualified troops were in the medbay. 3 civvie deaths and only one casualty who walked into a chryssalid nest in the middle of a firefight.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hah, I was just looking at the achievements for this game and I really want to see people pull some of these off.

Beating the final mission with "conventional" gear, beating it on Commander by July 1st, and beating it on Commander without upgrading squad size sound kinda nuts. Beating the game on Commander without losing a single soldier doesn't even seem possible without frequent save-scumming.

Are there any videos floating around yet that show someone who is super good at this game just clearing house on the crazy difficulties / Iron Man runs? I'm learning a lot as I go, but I feel like there are a ton of cool tricks that I just don't know about.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The LoS enemy reveal stuff really pisses me off. I move a concealed Ranger up, coast is clear.

Move a second trooper up BEHIND the Ranger, oh haha, you just tripped a pod the Ranger somehow didn't see!

Eat a dick game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hah, I was just looking at the achievements for this game and I really want to see people pull some of these off.

Beating the final mission with "conventional" gear, beating it on Commander by July 1st, and beating it on Commander without upgrading squad size sound kinda nuts. Beating the game on Commander without losing a single soldier doesn't even seem possible without frequent save-scumming.

Are there any videos floating around yet that show someone who is super good at this game just clearing house on the crazy difficulties / Iron Man runs? I'm learning a lot as I go, but I feel like there are a ton of cool tricks that I just don't know about.

beaglerush

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

victrix posted:

The LoS enemy reveal stuff really pisses me off. I move a concealed Ranger up, coast is clear.

Move a second trooper up BEHIND the Ranger, oh haha, you just tripped a pod the Ranger somehow didn't see!

Eat a dick game.

If you don't enjoy rolling with LOS bugs, I would suggest staying away from the XCOM franchise.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Mods don't disable achievements so I am willing to best 99% of the people who get the hard ones will be "cheating".

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I did an autopsy on a muton, and it said I unlocked Advanced Grenade Launcher and Alien Grenades. I can not find the alien grenades anywhere to build, either as a build item or a proving ground project.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there ever going to be a point where I have to eat 2 out of every 3 Dark Events?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there ever going to be a point where I have to eat 2 out of every 3 Dark Events?

Yeah, around month 2.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Beating it on commander without losing anyone doesn't seem all that difficult if you can survive the randomness of the first two months.
The "beat the game before july 1st" seems insane though.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

how me a frog posted:

Yeah but what's so great about that? You get to find and murder one pod. Whopee. Sword rangers murder kill anything that gets too close for free and take out those loving baton assholes in one hit. I've never seen a sword miss yet either.
Here's what I did just recently with a concealed ranger: Squad sight sniper picks off pod member, other pod member runs close to ranger (not away - he wasn't revealed), slash. No more pod.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I finished my first playthrough on Commander and (ending cutscene) what was teased for the expansion/sequel was amazing.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

quote:

I am raging so hard as I'm writing this. I'm so unbelievably mad right now, my blood pressure is ten times of a normal persons, I think I might have popped a vein or two.

Firaxis, you made an awesome game and a very decent sequel to a very successful and creative Xcom reboot. You make people emotionally invest into your game, and ♥♥♥♥ is so intense and violent, it literally makes your balls sweat. This game is always on your ♥♥♥, and I mean it. I've never played squad tactics that felt like an actual action movie, where there's always a need to rush forward, and you can't just sit back or slowly proceed forward. Everything must be done quick, and this ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ resistance guy that calls you "commander" only makes things worse, ♥♥♥♥♥ing about how slow you are and "we must act faster". Oh ♥♥♥♥ you guy, for ♥♥♥♥s sake, It's not like I'm not trying, but why the ♥♥♥♥ you pushing me so hard?

Eventually player gets used to this mad pace, and gets better stuff and his squad of cold-eyed assassins will chew through packs of aliens like it's nothing. You get them cutting edge tech and armor that looks so badass, it scares even themselves. You start to feel it, you finally start to think you can make it and push Avatar project back to the stone age. You grow attached to this game.

And then game ♥♥♥♥s your ♥♥♥♥ up.

Firaxis, you put this Ironman mode button there for a reason, right? You said something like "Do it only if you want ultimate Xcom experience". Well, I am no ♥♥♥♥♥ when it comes to this, I do want ultimate experience. I want to care, I want to be punished for wrong decisions, and greatly rewarded for success.

What I do not want, is to be ♥♥♥♥ed in the ♥♥♥ after playing for 15 hours, like it happened today. My save file got corrupted. The ONLY save file Ironman mode generates.

What the ♥♥♥♥ happened to your QA for ♥♥♥♥s sake. How could you not see this coming? Where is my backup file? Why do you do this to me?

♥♥♥♥ this, ♥♥♥♥ this ♥♥♥♥, I'm done, not playing it again, even if you fix this. ♥♥♥♥ off.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

LibbyM posted:

I did an autopsy on a muton, and it said I unlocked Advanced Grenade Launcher and Alien Grenades. I can not find the alien grenades anywhere to build, either as a build item or a proving ground project.

Alien Grenades are the Plasma Grenade project in the proving grounds.