Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

What's the line (in which .ini file) that I need to change for the game to load from the character pool first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah, around month 2.

How?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The Spokesman doesn't use contractions, at all. It's kinda disconcerting.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I defintiely waited too long on the first Blacksite. Went in and the Vial room had two Andromedons in it while I still only had ballistic weaponry. Jesus. Lost 2/3 of my squad on that, but i managed to finish them off and finish the mission. Barely. I was dodging overwatch fire dashing into the evac zone.

I'm not sure if I just took too long or what, but I feel like I need to find a tweak that slows down the alien enemy progression, it's a LOT faster than it was in EU, and I'm playing on Rookie.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

You can only counter 1 out of 3 events per month, the other 2 will pretty much always happen.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kiranamos posted:

You can only counter 1 out of 3 events per month, the other 2 will pretty much always happen.

That's kind of gross :\ That bugs me WAY more than timers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kiranamos posted:

You can actually get "guerilla OP" missions from hacking or from random scans though. So if you're lucky you can remove more than one.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
A sectopod just stepped on the VIP it was supposed to be defending, oops.

AlternateAccount posted:

Most of the Dark Events are a lot milder than they sound, really the ones to look out for are Infestation, UFO, and Major Breakthrough.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Hunter Noventa posted:

I defintiely waited too long on the first Blacksite. Went in and the Vial room had two Andromedons in it while I still only had ballistic weaponry. Jesus. Lost 2/3 of my squad on that, but i managed to finish them off and finish the mission. Barely. I was dodging overwatch fire dashing into the evac zone.

I'm not sure if I just took too long or what, but I feel like I need to find a tweak that slows down the alien enemy progression, it's a LOT faster than it was in EU, and I'm playing on Rookie.

Seriously? I just got plasma and I am just now seeing andromedons. I also don't know how you waited that long to do that first mission, I had the doom clock run out long before that point.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Elliotw2 posted:

Most of the Dark Events are a lot milder than they sound, really the ones to look out for are Infestation, UFO, and Major Breakthrough.

The UFO mission is awesome and you should never stop it from happening :colbert:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Notorious QIG posted:

The UFO mission is awesome and you should never stop it from happening :colbert:

Its also super easy to avoid most of the time.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Notorious QIG posted:

Also one of the best ways to farm supply if you really want too.
Just never lift off and insta kill anything that lands with 8+ overwatches.

You just need someone to run around and pick up whatever loot they drop and sell it to the black market. I also think you can drag some of the corpses back to pad but I have not tested it yet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

to be quite honest a game with savegame bugs is not ok, regardless of the ironnman thing.

don't preorder games, don't play stuff week one, etc etc etc.

AlternateAccount posted:

I think they nabbed "dark events" from the xcom boardgame, where one player has to draw two crisis cards (which have bad stuff on them) and pick which one is gonna happen.

Oh, and you have to decide everything while an ipad app is counting down a timer, generally with only 10-20 seconds to make important decisions!

If you've played the boardgame a lot of the high pressure time countdown feel of xcom 2 makes way more sense. Its an excellent adaptation.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I mind controlled a berserker and punched some chryssalids, who went unconscious.

Then the alien AI stopped working.

Then I couldn't win the mission after killing all the other aliens.

Now my save crashes the game when I try to load it.

RIP. Don't play on ironman, folks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the bright side, I have now had two missions where the successful shot percentage on the after-mission score screen is 100%.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

dyzzy posted:

I mind controlled a berserker and punched some chryssalids, who went unconscious.

I find things that make it hard for the AI to act break it. Things like boxing stuff in with Acid/Fire will do it almost 100% of the time. The game will try so hard not to have them move into the Acid/Fire that it will just break the AI entirely and nothing will move or shoot.

Fairly easy to replicate just find a high HP Organic mob and toss a Fire bomb on him in a enclosed area. If there are no non-fire filled spaces to move on the AI just dies.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

dyzzy posted:

We should put this on the OP with flashing sirens.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

It feels a bit weird that after you break concealment, it's better for enemies to find you than for you to find them. Since if they find you during their turn, they don't get a free turn to attack you.

While this strategy sounds fine on paper, it's a bit risky, especially early game when you don't have a lot of toys and descent armor, since they made it so that enemies have a chance to outright shoot you right away before going in to cover if they discover you while patrolling. It's to discourage this specific strategy (overwatching your entire squad then let them find you) that would have been a no brainer you-should-do-it-every-time thing otherwise.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The AI broke shortly after knocking out the first chryssalid but I didn't catch on because the unburrow-melee behavior was still working.

I'm kinda mad, that was a lot of time put into that campaign. I'll play more but obviously without ironman.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

If you've played the boardgame a lot of the high pressure time countdown feel of xcom 2 makes way more sense. Its an excellent adaptation.

I really enjoyed it when I played it, but goddamn does that game evoke vitriol from a lot of boardgame nerds.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hunter Noventa posted:

Weird, I did this mission with all Tier 3 gear like in month seven. I saw like one Muton, one Archon, and one Codex, the rest were just random Advent grunts.

Edit: How are you pulling Andromedons with only Tier 1 gear, does that happen in other missions

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Who needs to shoot :haw:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I guess I had a crazy lucky RNG roll because I did the Black Site mission as soon as it was available and it was pretty drat easy. I think I had two people come out with light injuries and that was it. There was a mutton, a couple sectoids, a few random Advent troops, and a pair of MECs, which I just haywired and let sit around while I shot them to death. If people are running into Andromedons and stuff while they are still using starting gear, that RNG might need a little tweaking, because that just sounds impossible.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I feel like if you only had basic guns when you did the first blacksite, you didn't wait long enough. I would try to have a 5 person squad and magnetic weapons at a minimum.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

dyzzy posted:

There was a silver lining though: I just looked up what the "David and Goliath" achievement actually is, and it turns out you get this achievement if you MC a berserker and get it killed by a chryssalid reaction attack.
Similarly, you get the achievement for controlling a sectopod if you select the stun option and the dice roll would've given you the control result.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I played 16 hours out of a 48 hour period. I never finished a Classic campaign of EU/W, but I'm having the best time with this one, the difficulty curve is perfect. My grenadiers are serial killers. gently caress Codices.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

If you ignored any mission in EU/EW you got critical game ending results. If you ignore a UFO it'll shoot down your satellites and raise panic by 3-4 in that continent, if you ignored an abduction chain panic went up world wide by 3, if you ignored a terror mission you instantly lose a country and panic goes up world wide, and if you gently caress up ID'ing EXALT, you lose a country. EU/EW absolutely did not accept loss or ignoring missions, period.

You also actually got a moments peace between missions for your guys to heal, along with enough rookies to burn through. XCOM2 gives you four guys and middle finger. Early missions were also much much kinder on Rookie and Veteran, with a couple of low-health Sectoids and maybe a Thin Man for flavour. By the time the heavy-bruisers start turning up, you're in a much better position to meet them on equal terms. When the terror missions came, they also gave you a choice of rewards rather than a choice of punishment.

Elliotw2 posted:

The thing is that in XCOM 2 you have to gently caress up super hard to be in a completely irrecoverable situation. You can probably get out of any situation so long as you have at least a week left on your doom timer.

Except your soldiers are probably 8+ days out from being combat-ready, so you're hosed anyway.

Augustus
Oct 10, 2004

God damn it.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I guess I had a crazy lucky RNG roll because I did the Black Site mission as soon as it was available and it was pretty drat easy. I think I had two people come out with light injuries and that was it. There was a mutton, a couple sectoids, a few random Advent troops, and a pair of MECs, which I just haywired and let sit around while I shot them to death. If people are running into Andromedons and stuff while they are still using starting gear, that RNG might need a little tweaking, because that just sounds impossible.

I'm serious when I say this, this is a goddamned miracle. I've basically had five campaigns utterly tank at the Black Site.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't think there's any time pressure either to do the blacksite or on the blacksite?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Substandard posted:

I feel like if you only had basic guns when you did the first blacksite, you didn't wait long enough. I would try to have a 5 person squad and magnetic weapons at a minimum.

Why? It does not have specific spawns itll pick enemies according to the alien progress. It seems counterproductive to wait until dangerous enemies exist when advent grunts are so easy to kill.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone explain how exactly killzone works too me because I'm afraid I don't quite understand it. So you only get shots off when the enemy moves inside of it, not when they do anything else?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

While this strategy sounds fine on paper, it's a bit risky, especially early game when you don't have a lot of toys and descent armor, since they made it so that enemies have a chance to outright shoot you right away before going in to cover if they discover you while patrolling. It's to discourage this specific strategy (overwatching your entire squad then let them find you) that would have been a no brainer you-should-do-it-every-time thing otherwise.

As long as you don't have a timer, letting enemies discover you is overwhelmingly the best strategy unless there is a good opportunity to use a grenade or there are Vipers present.

Oh, and I guess you want to attack fast melee enemies first too.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 8, 2016

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Seriously? I just got plasma and I am just now seeing andromedons. I also don't know how you waited that long to do that first mission, I had the doom clock run out long before that point.

Yeah, one Archon outside, two Andromedons inside. I think I might have really messed something up with some of the ini edits I did to get that result. i wasn't exactly FAST in taking the place down, but I saw Berserkers in my last retaliation mission too.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone explain how exactly killzone works too me because I'm afraid I don't quite understand it. So you only get shots off when the enemy moves inside of it, not when they do anything else?

You get your current ammo worth of normal overwatch shots shots in the cone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

victrix posted:

I don't think there's any time pressure either to do the blacksite or on the blacksite?

I am of the mind that waiting on the blacksite is a good idea. You don't get any special progress advancement for doing it early, and in fact you can't really do anything until you get the Shadow Chamber up anyway. It unlocks the Avenger Defense mission, which just adds another problem. Leaving the blacksite on the map also gives you a safety valve in case you are on your last timer and haven't reached another facility yet.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

LordNat posted:

You get your current ammo worth of normal overwatch shots shots in the cone.

Exmags Repeater Killzone sniping is a good time

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How do you get continent bonuses?

Just make contact? Or do you need towers?

LordNat
May 16, 2009

FairGame posted:

How do you get continent bonuses?

Just make contact? Or do you need towers?

You need towers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

The Iron Rose posted:

Have a working version of the No Avatar Project mod!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=618935868

Requires a new game, as I had to extend an XComGameState unrealclass, which are serialized into gamesaves. That is to say there's no way to update it on an existing savegame.

I mean you can use it on an existing save, but it will only eliminate the doom meter gain from dark events.
Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this and you're cool for making it, will probably use it for my second campaign when I just want to victory lap/stomp aliens for literally forever.
I saw a bunch of neat larger gameplay rebalance mods like this with your name on 'em and I was like "hey, I know who that is!" :dance: You got that fix out fast.

So good work, good mods. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Managed to win a round without taking a shot, I guess. All grenades, overwatch, and sword swings.