Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
The last mission is some grade A bullshit. It's not even the difficulty, it's the absurd amount of time wasted on animation and teleporting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

The first, and only, time the instakill chance repeater I put on my ranger's shotgun worked was against the third and final Avatar, which never even got to finish running to cover after it activated

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Long War guys' SMG and Muton Centurion are so well integrated I can't take them out

The officer training school seems like butts though. If it worked like the Psi Ops training I might like it.
Yeah how is that by the way? SMGs I understand well enough from LW, but what's the Centurion like?
And is the Officer School worth it, for anyone who's tried it?

As long as we're talking mods I really want one that retools that T3 sword. Burning is not good enough to replace a 2-turn stun that even works on mechs. Sorry.

...actually, what exactly does burning do?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I am having a strange problem with the SDK, I'm sharing it in hopes somebody know what the hell is up.

My SDK window does not update when I click something. Say I click on an option, it does not highlights until I've, say, minimized and maximized the window again. Same if open an in-project tree or something similar. It does not show up until I've done something like I just mentioned.

Anyone else is having this problem?

^^^^^
Burning do damage overtime, Centurion I... have no idea, they're supposed to have a sort of AoE buff for their fellow aliens, but they never lived long enough for me to pull it off.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fat Samurai posted:

I haven't found Death from Above to be very useful, to be honest. Maybe in missions without a time limit, because otherwise I usually don't have time to hang around if I want to extract everyone. Kill Zone is loving amazing, though.

Speaking of extracting, the first time I had to extract a VIP I was panicking because I didn't have any stun weapons (I was expecting an Arc Thrower equivalent somewhere). I love that they went with "no fancy gadgets, just hit them in the noggin really hard".

Extraction missions are really the bane of bringing a sniper, since they still need to get across the map. Once you learn which missions have that factor it can be worked around, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They're semi-worthless on Advent Facilities too. Just run in, plant the bomb and pop extraction out the nearest wall/window.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Swords in general need a rebalancing relative to shotguns.

Making them 100% chance to hit like Rose did is a start, and fair considering they can still be dodged, but they need more to really be viable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Anyway, here's my idea for a mod.

I'm Russian. There is no Russian voice pack in XCOM 2. I am actually cool with this - I didn't like the voices they recorded for the first game. On the other hand, it would be nice not to have everyone speak like they're from US/UK. I think a good compromise would be to record some voice packs of people speaking English in lightly accented catch-all regional accents.

To my ear there isn't much, if any, discernible difference between, say, Russian, Lithuanian, Polish, Czech and Serbian English accents and I've heard a lot of these in my life. You could really cover most of Eastern Europe with a generic Slavic Accent voice pack. Likewise, I think you could get away with Middle Eastern, Sub-Saharan, South Asian and Latin American packs and cover a lot of potential recruits, giving them some flavor. Not sure about Asia - in the East Asian region Japanese and Chinese accents do sound a little different to my ear and I have little experience with South Asian accents. The major Western European languages are already covered by Firaxis, but it would be nice to get alternate Accented English options anyway - but I suspect given that a lot of the playerbase lives there, that will happen anyway.

Bruceski posted:

Extraction missions are really the bane of bringing a sniper, since they still need to get across the map. Once you learn which missions have that factor it can be worked around, though.

I dunno. Usually I manage to set up in the first couple of turns, then shoot poo poo hard halfway across the map, then double-time it to the exit. I've done extractions with, like, three snipers in the team.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is approaching joke territory

One failed campaign, part way into a second.

I have yet to succeed in a hack.

Other than 100% mission ones obviously, but this is loving ridiculous. My 'Special'ists.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Replace Blademaster with an ability called "To the Death". When used on an enemy the ranger runs up and engages in RULES OF NATURE where only one man or alien can be left standing. Success chance is based on relative HP and equipment.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A Sectoid resurrected my dead Mimic Beacon and my Ranger had to fight a zombie version of himself :stare:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The plated armour really is a total game changer. I'd done a ton of missions without it where I was reloading constantly as my guys were dying and sometimes entirely starting the mission again.

With the new armour I did the Avenger attack and the Black Site all without even getting wounded, apart from an annoying bit at the end of the Avenger where a stun trooper was missed on seven overwatch and one bladestorm attack and killed a guy. I reloaded that one.
Still it's like night and day, I can't recommend upgrading to the new armour enough.

Also Josef Bugman - I don't know if you're reading the thread still and I can't PM you but I had a very similar problem in Xcom 1 to what you're having loading wise. Installing the game under a different, none-primary username fixed it. I don't know why. 2K support was absolute and utter poo poo about it, I only discovered it when I had the same problem with Dragon Age Inquisition and it's what EA recommended to me.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Replace Blademaster with an ability called "To the Death". When used on an enemy the ranger runs up and engages in RULES OF NATURE where only one man or alien can be left standing. Success chance is based on relative HP and equipment.

And a hidden 100% success rate against sectopods and I agree

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

victrix posted:

This is approaching joke territory

One failed campaign, part way into a second.

I have yet to succeed in a hack.

Other than 100% mission ones obviously, but this is loving ridiculous. My 'Special'ists.

Is there a gremlin mk3 by any chance? Otherwise yea I don't think I have succeeded in a hack either. Still haywire protocol is a life saver in many occasions.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How do my soldiers miss stationary, shut down targets? Come on, guys. So uncool. :negative:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

keyframe posted:

Is there a gremlin mk3 by any chance? Otherwise yea I don't think I have succeeded in a hack either. Still haywire protocol is a life saver in many occasions.
How does haywire help you if you never succeed with it?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

keyframe posted:

Yes, you only need to disassemble a sectopod for it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like people are finally getting started on mods that aren't cheats. I'm not using any until my first playthrough ends, but here's some cool looking ones:

Capnbubs Accessories Pack - New high-quality character creation stuff. Currently consists of two types of beret, but they look Firaxis-quality.

Evac All - Adds an ability to make everyone in an Evac zone trigger the Evac ability simultaneously. Which is a nice little time saver.

True Concealment - Timers don't tick down while you're in concealment, but are reduced to offset that advantage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah I still need to get to grips with this, because not moving my snipers close enough for evac is losing me a lot of dudes.

I'm on my 4th playthrough now and considering starting over again because I currently have no rangers or sharpshooters going into month 2 after 4 straight missed sword attacks.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Vib Rib posted:

How does haywire help you if you never succeed with it?

You still succeed with the %100 success hacks (like shutdown for two rounds). I was talking about the other hacks where you have a lesser chance of succeeding. Those never happened for me so far.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
An all-gunslinging Sharpshooter's pretty good, especially after you tech into the next tier of pistols. Spreading around four-five damage plus burning to all targets in sight range, plus a free one with that perk's pretty good. Plus, still got Squadsight.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Demiurge4 posted:

Some sort of "Duel" ability that taunts melee aliens into charging you would be cool. Good potential synergy with Overwatch and Blademaster.

If the melee guy reaches you, both you and the alien melee attack each other with a coinflip deciding who goes first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Spider Suit makes Snipers truly powerful, since you can just grapple (huge range) onto any elevation, still shoot with the sniper, and do Lightning Hands+Kill From Above to get some great starting damage.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So I published my version of the mod for unlocking armour customization: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=619159905

Unlike the other mods it lets you change any armour to any other armour. Also when you first equip an armour on a soldier they'll randomly draw from the available customizations so be ready for silly clownsuits before you change everything. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I'm at the endgame (facing Sectopods and the like) but I think I need to call this campaign done. Because I lost too many experienced troops, and those game-changing abilities our colonels can have are really absolutely necessary against the end-game baddies.

Some items are really great at making up the difference, though. For example, bluescreen rounds are amazingly good at wrecking sectopods or mecs or basically anything tough and mechanical. Does so much extra damage they might as well not have armor, plus I think it disrupts Shieldbearer shields. AND it makes them more vulnerable to hacking attacks if they're still alive afterwards.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Speedball posted:

Man, I'm at the endgame (facing Sectopods and the like) but I think I need to call this campaign done. Because I lost too many experienced troops, and those game-changing abilities our colonels can have are really absolutely necessary against the end-game baddies.

Some items are really great at making up the difference, though. For example, bluescreen rounds are amazingly good at wrecking sectopods or mecs or basically anything tough and mechanical. Does so much extra damage they might as well not have armor, plus I think it disrupts Shieldbearer shields. AND it makes them more vulnerable to hacking attacks if they're still alive afterwards.

My experience was that once I got a psi trooper with stasis I could clown basically any pod. You should aim to get psi up by the mid game and get that ability out, it was instrumental to my non-failure against Andromedons.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah how is that by the way? SMGs I understand well enough from LW, but what's the Centurion like?
And is the Officer School worth it, for anyone who's tried it?

As long as we're talking mods I really want one that retools that T3 sword. Burning is not good enough to replace a 2-turn stun that even works on mechs. Sorry.

...actually, what exactly does burning do?

Centurion is indistinguishable from anything. I guess it has more hp than normal mutons? And some ability it has to live to use so who knows what it does. I'm pretty sure it makes the game easier because I didn't get a single 3 muton pack the entire way after installing it. Centurion always ran around with snakes and poo poo that died on reveal.

Also officer school is garbage. The training time is way too high and the abilities are far too mediocre for requiring turns. The passives are whatever, small poo poo that is small poo poo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Some sort of "Duel" ability that taunts melee aliens into charging you would be cool. Good potential synergy with Overwatch and Blademaster.

If the melee guy reaches you, both you and the alien melee attack each other with a coinflip deciding who goes first.

The Commandos in The Bureau had an ability called Provoke that did this. They basically yelled "HEY rear end in a top hat OVER HERE" to an alien and the alien would run out of cover to toward the provoker.

Something like this would be cool in XCOM 2. Provoking an enemy makes them run toward you (or gives them an aim boost toward the provoker) but gives aim and crit boosts to everyone attacking that enemy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm just making sure, letting psi ops get kills is essentially wasting EXP since they have their own method of leveling up?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tae posted:

So I'm just making sure, letting psi ops get kills is essentially wasting EXP since they have their own method of leveling up?

Yes, they only level up by spending time in the training room. But hey, a dead enemy is a dead enemy, they can still shoot a rifle like a normal person.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
I think the proving grounds gear is super strong. The upgrades experimental grenades you get in there are monstrous, plus the advanced ammo types are huge game changers.

I think gunslingers are pretty good if only because they get a poo poo ton of free pistol shots and both their high level specials (face off and fan fire) combo insanely well with special ammo.

When you jack up a squadsight sniper though they are literal gods of death. I think they're even stronger than in EU (barring archangel armor shenanigans) due to kill zone being a ridiculous skill

Vengarr posted:

Swords in general need a rebalancing relative to shotguns.

Making them 100% chance to hit like Rose did is a start, and fair considering they can still be dodged, but they need more to really be viable.

I really don't get what the hell the design intent is with swords. I guess you get a worse run and gun from the start now? Except you can actually pick up run and gun again later down the line.

Most of the time I'm looking at a 100% hit/75% crit chance shotgun with special ammo compared to a 90% sword with only 15% crit that is almost guaranteed to do less damage. How is that even a choice, especially when you put rapid fire into the mix? Bladestorm is cool, I guess, in fringe cases, and reaper is sort of ok. But then I could be taking rapid fire instead.

Operant fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 8, 2016

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
Just a public service announcement:

Mind Controlled Chryssalids will melee civies if you aren't careful with your mouse placement. Uh... don't ask me how I know that.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VextheGrey posted:

The last mission is some grade A bullshit. It's not even the difficulty, it's the absurd amount of time wasted on animation and teleporting.

The you-know-whats can be shot and damaged but won't teleport away if they're nestled snuggly between snake boobs, just fyi. Makes that segment a good deal easier, and you can control a couple vipers just before it.

Tae posted:

I think they still get stat level up bonuses from mission XP, they have their own rank list(with magus at the top, iirc).

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Demiurge4 posted:

My experience was that once I got a psi trooper with stasis I could clown basically any pod. You should aim to get psi up by the mid game and get that ability out, it was instrumental to my non-failure against Andromedons.

Mine got void rift as first picked ability(AoE damage, chance to apply insanity to organic enemy) and then schism(adds rupture effect and damage to insanity). It's amazingly good, like a rocket launcher that goes through walls and armor and applies debuffs.
Got void lance later, by comparison it's :mediocre:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Mine got void rift as first picked ability(AoE damage, chance to apply insanity to organic enemy) and then schism(adds rupture effect and damage to insanity). It's amazingly good, like a rocket launcher that goes through walls and armor and applies debuffs.
Got void lance later, by comparison it's :mediocre:

Yeah psi is super OP.

As an aside I had basically written off my ranger because I was sure that berserker was gonna punch him down because I didn't have the firepower to chew through it's HP. Turns out enraged berserkers will engage the closest target so it turned around and pummeled an ADVENT trooper :xcom:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Going for the overpowered achievement in style.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Does anyone's graphic settings keep resetting every time they launch the game? Rather annoying having to reconfigure them every single time I start it up...

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Acid grenades and a explosive specked grenadier, is amazing fun. Shreds armor, does a lot of damage and apply a hefty dot.

The final bosses kept mind controlling my soldiers, but I had a psi trooper with the null aura, she was just running back and forth dispelling poo poo the entire fight.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Pyromancer posted:

Yes, you only need to disassemble a sectopod for it

Do you have to do something special to get a sectopod wreck? I've killed probably a half-dozen in non-evac missions and I have yet to get a research project from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

dmccaff posted:

Does anyone's graphic settings keep resetting every time they launch the game? Rather annoying having to reconfigure them every single time I start it up...

Same here. Especially since my card doesn't meet the minimum specs, so I have to wait an extra time.