Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tippis posted:

Braben also still seems like has a grasp of programming, and wasn't exactly clueless back when he squeezed 1024 systems into 32kb RAM. Roberts prowess seems to extend as far as claiming he had reverse-engineered Lucasart's engine, when in reality he hadn't… :cheeky:

Braben also keeps all his people in a single building, has a well defined plan for his release schedule, has steadily monetized his game in a manner that isn't hilariously abusive, and seems to underpromise and then overdeliver.

Meanwhile Roberts seems to set up new studios on a whim, routinely fails to maintain a schedule due to his own ineptitude, has constructed his business model around exploiting gullible idiots, and can't stop hyping his utter failure of a product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think Braben has enough sense to be hands off. He doesn't brag that he personally stays up coding all night, in fact I'm pretty sure he's flat out said he doesn't do any programming at all and hasn't for years.

I think part of it is also that Frontier have spent years building their teams, they know their people can work together and they know they can trust them to get poo poo done without constant micromanagement. CIG expanded exponentially practically overnight, and despite their protestations that they're hiring the "most talented developers ever!!" not everyone's going to be stellar, and not everyone's going to gel. It's just a fact of life. That might be one of the reasons their management is so top heavy.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 8, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Braben also keeps all his people in a single building, has a well defined plan for his release schedule, has steadily monetized his game in a manner that isn't hilariously abusive, and seems to underpromise and then overdeliver.

Meanwhile Roberts seems to set up new studios on a whim, routinely fails to maintain a schedule due to his own ineptitude, has constructed his business model around exploiting gullible idiots, and can't stop hyping his utter failure of a product.

I remember, many moons ago, when beer believed in Star Citizen. Now we all love to hate CIG together, and it seems there are fewer and fewer white knights daily. :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Premium Miriel's RSI signature posted:

"Make something idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot"

Premium Miriel is that "better idiot."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

Braben also still seems like has a grasp of programming, and wasn't exactly clueless back when he squeezed 1024 systems into 32kb RAM. Roberts prowess seems to extend as far as claiming he had reverse-engineered Lucasart's engine, when in reality he hadn't… :cheeky:

It's interesting to compare the two, and how much their base personalities, goals, and methods haven't changed.

Braben had a vision of what he wanted to do, and squeezed as much of that vision as he could given the practical limitations of the day. He made a great game. Now he's expanding on his original vision, squeezing in even more, yet still respecting the practical limitations of this day. It's an even better game, and I now have reason to believe he will build the things he says he will without relying on faith.

Chris had a vision of what he wanted to do, and didn't give a gently caress about limitations. People needed to upgrade and tweak their machines to get it running. The game was a financial mess that actually caused damage to the industry (according to the earlier linked 2004 article.) It was an ok game, nonetheless. Now he's expanding his original vision to infinity and beyond, with practically unlimited funds, no accountability, still no respect for practical limitations, no understanding of how the industry has changed, and a legacy of failures to his name that have long since overshadowed his original success. I have no reason to believe anything he says.

Chris. Chris never changes.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sperglord posted:

It is no exaggeration to say that Star Plebian will have better space combat than Star Citizen. What has been made by CIG has the mechanical depth of a undergraduate project, probably less than that.

On this extremely shallow base, CIG is selling three AAA space sim games, including a console port. What a joke.

I think you'll find it's actually FOUR triple-AAA titles, not counting console ports.

Remember folks, Squadron 42 will be released in at least THREE installments, the first two being called SQUADRON 42 and BEHIND ENEMY LINES. Each will be their own triple-AAA title in their own right, featuring 20 HOURS of :airquote:GAMEPLAY:airquote:

(All-caps for immersion)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Mirificus posted:

Poor TommyNoble tried to give positive feedback yesterday on some good communication from CIG and was essentially ignored for their trouble.

Why is he still in not-our-thread?

That's a good question.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Kimsemus posted:

I remember, many moons ago, when beer believed in Star Citizen. Now we all love to hate CIG together, and it seems there are fewer and fewer white knights daily. :v:

Speaking of White Knights, if you read the reddit thread posted above, about a youtuber pledging to Star Citizen, you can see that they're already consoling themselves if CIG fails.

Examples:
DragonTHC- Golden Ticket 24 points

quote:

I may never get all I wanted out of star citizen, but generations of future gamers will benefit from it's leap forward in tech.

Kant_Lavar- Vice Admiral 6 points

quote:

But hey, even if Star Citizen fails, at least they loving tried.
This sentence sums up a good chunk of why I have dropped more money than I'd actually care to admit on a game that isn't even in beta yet.
Innovation should be praised, loudly and publicly, even if it doesn't achieve everything it sets out for.

The White Knights are already planning for a failure, they're already preparing their mental landscape to handle the incoming blow.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Kimsemus posted:

From my perspective, having only been in the loop since about August, it seems crazy that seemingly reasonably sane people went on believing for so long

The crazy must have slipped in very slowly and successively

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Toops posted:

I'm legit stressed about probably having to add multiplayer. The destructo-derby paaaarpmatch arena definitely needs to be multiplayer.

Feature creep you guys.

But don't worry. Birds first.

Also, new Plebe'rena design, now with more parp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVG3U3wZNNk

I really wish I had the skills to offer tons of help, but alas all I can add is my voice. Hit me up when it's time for voice-overs. I wanna play an exasperated engineer. I got some good ideas watching the developers sigh their way through some CIG videos.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kimsemus posted:

If they gave a poo poo this wouldn't be happening.

gently caress them.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sperglord posted:

Speaking of White Knights, if you read the reddit thread posted above, about a youtuber pledging to Star Citizen, you can see that they're already consoling themselves if CIG fails.

Examples:

The White Knights are already planning for a failure, they're already preparing their mental landscape to handle the incoming blow.

Well. Good for them I guess :3:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Sperglord posted:

Examples:

This is a classic case of "moving the goal posts until I can feel like I didn't waste my money"

From my perspective, having only been in the loop since about August, it seems crazy that seemingly reasonably sane people went on believing for so long

The crazy must have slipped in very slowly and successively

I backed back in September 2012, and spent a little bit more money in 2013 on SC. I think for a little while, it actually seemed possible. I think the wheels began falling of the court for me, personally, when they passed the 6.5M mark of their final stretch goal to give the Bengal Carrier in the PU, and then just started adding more and more absurd poo poo that to me just translated into +1 month of dev time, +3 months, etc etc.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mirificus posted:

Why is he still in not-our-thread?

Hey cobblers I think they unbanned you, how 'bout you give him our love

e: also quoting nested quotes is broken lowtax plz fix

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If they gave a poo poo this wouldn't be happening.

gently caress them.

They did mention on the last RtV that they are looking for another community manager.

Maybe s/he will turn things around. :unsmith:

or at least save us from over-exposure to Huckaby's vomitous cynicism.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

tooterfish posted:

I think Braben has enough sense to be hands off.

He doesn't brag that he personally stays up coding all night, in fact I'm pretty sure he's flat out said he doesn't do any programming at all and hasn't for years.

I'm still amused by my own headcannon where the SC "devs" get into work each morning, boot up everything, and each morning someone cries out "Oh god. My work files say "last changed by C_Roberts 5:29 am". There goes my last month of work."

I honestly doubt that potato in a man suit could program a microwave to warm up some food without trying to reinvent it, then cause the whole thing to explode.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Even BFL_Josh is looking at CIG marketing and PR and shaking his head.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sperglord posted:

Examples:

quote:

I may never get all I wanted out of star citizen, but generations of future gamers will benefit from it's leap forward in tech.

quote:

But hey, even if Star Citizen fails, at least they loving tried.
This sentence sums up a good chunk of why I have dropped more money than I'd actually care to admit on a game that isn't even in beta yet.
Innovation should be praised, loudly and publicly, even if it doesn't achieve everything it sets out for.

But even while constructing their preplanned excuses, they're wrong. There is no leap forward in tech. There is no innovation. CIG is failing so hard FailArmy could feature them in a year's worth of YouTube videos. "At least they tried." rear end in a top hat, they tried with someone who can only fail, and with other people's money. Chris Roberts should not have been allowed to try in the first place. He's almost custom-designed to fail at this endeavor. This is why they don't send 90-year old paraplegic men on space shuttle missions - they will die during the launch. They don't get to go on TV and say "at least we tried" - they'd be flayed alive for putting that man on the shuttle in the first place. This is no different. Admit it backers, you hosed up by trusting this used car salesman. Nobody else.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 8, 2016

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Happy 1812!

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Innovation:

https://giant.gfycat.com/AmusedInbornJaguar.webm

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Hey /r/starcitizen! I think my videos were submitted to your lovely sub a few times and even reached your frontpage. In them, I was defending Star Citizen from unfair criticism, whilst not being a backer myself. I have now finally given in, and made another vid to explain to my viewers what convinced me in the end. With you I just want to share the script of said video so I don't bore you with my YT shenanigans, but if you are interested in the visual part, I'll link to the video at the end of the post.
Today, I want to talk about something that happened to me recently. An epiphany, so to say. As some of you know, I'm opposed to funding early-access games. I still find that whole concept silly and against the best interests of consumers. BUT, and that is quite the big BUT indeed, I was always fond of Chris Roberts' work, fond of spaceflight simulators, and fond of games that try to do something that others haven't tried before. Yet, in all my previous videos I proudly stated that I was not a backer, keeping true to my pro-consumer colours. This has changed. I have betrayed my principles. I have pledged 45 dollars to Star Citizen. And now, let me explain to you why I deem this betrayal of principles the best game purchase I have made in a long time.
My opposition against early-access games, as I elaborated in previous videos, is explained by two core statements: I'm not willing to pay a company for the quote-on-quote 'privilege' of being a beta-tester for their unfinished product and I don't see any incentive for early-access developers to actually finish their games, due to them being able to keep a game in early-access indefinitely, circumventing the consumer expectation of delivering a finished product whilst ALREADY demanding the full price for it. So in order to lure me into spending money on a product that is unfinished and may never come out, something extraordinary has to happen. After thinking about this a lot, I have come to the conclusion that Star Citizen as a whole is exactly that extraordinary thing.
First off, I have been craving for some proper innovation in gaming for a very long time. In a gaming world in which triple A publishers get praised by their corporate slaves for releasing the same drivel over and over, the only way to show them that Call of Duty kids are not the only demographic worth catering to is to vote with ones wallet. This usually means NOT buying a product you deem unworthy of your money. But it CAN also mean buying another product. So in order to cast my vote, I chose to spend money on a company that promises me a literal universe filled with content, a company that says to me: 'You can fly a spaceship! But you can also walk around in it, and float in space in your spacesuit! How about shooting other pilots in the face after you've spent the night drinking in a space bar?' Or in other words, a company that is trying to combine many features and playstyles that are usually seen in separate games, into one. The ambition to create a wholesome simulated universe is therefore my number one reason for betting my money on the Robert Space Industries horse, but this reason alone would have never convinced me to do so.
Hilariously, the other reason for pledging, the one that gave me a virtual push to finally take that leap of faith, were the critics of Star Citizen. Do you remember that Escapist article by Liz Finnegan in which ominous and anonymous sources claimed to be able to prove that Roberts and his wife were evil personified, and that their hiring practices were racist and sexist? Not only did we never hear of them again after RSI threatened to sue - or at least I haven't - but these allegations made me research the whole project deeper, delving into dev logs and speeches Chris Roberts gave, and made me watch a couple of the countless videos that the developers produce on a regular basis in which they explain what they are up to right now and how the progress is going. And guess what? The buggers are transparent as gently caress! Never before have I seen the development of a game so well documented, never before have I seen the devs showcasing their work on such a regular basis. I would not have done that research without all the voices on the internet trying to cut down the tall poppy, as they say here in Australia. And that is what much of the criticism of Star Citizen is: trying to drag an ambitious team down into the mud that said critics are used to swim in.
Of course there is valid criticism, and there are valid concerns too, but when most of the criticism boils down to 'Vapourware LOL' or 'cash grab scam ROFL' in spite of the obvious progress being made, and in spite of the current playable version of Star Citizen, then a person like me ALSO gets the urge to support that game just to spite those who want to obviously continue to live with a gaming industry in which creativity gets punished, and ambition gets called a pipe-dream. Yes, you heard that right. One of the reasons to pledge for me was to prove those who willingly fellate the megalomaniac corporate publisher blobs wrong. To be part of what may very well be the second coming of PC gaming. Or its biggest failure. But hey, even if Star Citizen fails, at least they loving tried.
So here I am, a newly pledged Star Citizen, and proud of it. In the end, it all boils down to to the concept that if I want the game industry to change, I figured that voicing my criticism and NOT buying games I abhor isn't enough. I decided to put my money where my mouth is. Now, please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, don't prove me wrong, Star Citizen.
Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiE80VNHmY

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Please nobody think of this next time you masturbate

lol

Sadly, after I wrote it, I should have made the version 2.2.1 or whatever the gently caress version SC is on. After all, we need to merge code and versions in the verse.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Scruffpuff posted:

But even while constructing their preplanned excuses, they're wrong. There is no leap forward in tech. There is no innovation.
I think you'll find.......... no one else is doing procedurally generated Crysis planets.........

The closest is NMS' tiny cartoon planetoids.... checkmate goonies.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LOL :five:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

tooterfish posted:

I think Braben has enough sense to be hands off. He doesn't brag that he personally stays up coding all night, in fact I'm pretty sure he's flat out said he doesn't do any programming at all and hasn't for years.

I don't know. He strikes me as the kind of old engineer who hacks together his own SMTP responder because whatever he had before just didn't do it properly… but it doesn't count as “programming” because that's a term reserved for something you don't do on a lazy Sunday afternoon. :v:

Then again…

Xaerael posted:

I'm still amused by my own headcannon where the SC "devs" get into work each morning, boot up everything, and each morning someone cries out "Oh god. My work files say "last changed by C_Roberts 5:29 am". There goes my last month of work."

I honestly doubt that potato in a man suit could program a microwave to warm up some food without trying to reinvent it, then cause the whole thing to explode.
…I also have no problem buying into this canon, so I should probably not trust myself.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hopper posted:

What are the odds Squadron 42 will be Wing Commander with mocap instead of FMV and absolutely 0 FPS? Because "that is what Star Marine is, and uh... backers.. well they misunderstood. It was never intended to uhh *flails hands* have like both FPS and Spaceships in Squadron inter...twined like *more finger acrobatics*... You see the... fidelity of both will be so unprecedented you would ... kinda be drowned in it if both was unified into one experience. It will be much easier to ahh.. you see ... experience it as two magnum opuses so to speak..."

Speaking of 0 fps I upgraded from a gtx 770 to a 970 and it got me from a steady 20 fps in star shitizen to a massive 24 fps. so cinematic and immersive.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Andrew Jackson Action Jackson 1812

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sperglord posted:

Examples:

quote:

hahahahah these stupid fucks

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wafflz posted:

Speaking of 0 fps I upgraded from a gtx 770 to a 970 and it got me from a steady 20 fps in star shitizen to a massive 24 fps. so cinematic and immersive.

Jesus H. Roberts, you are living the dream.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I got bored halfway through, oh well, probably put in more effort than CIG

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Daztek posted:

I got bored halfway through, oh well, probably put in more effort than CIG

Nice. Off topic, is dildonics Latin for something?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Star Citizen is the Puppy-Monkey-Baby of space sims, but not in the fun way. Just the "Horrifying assortment of random poo poo that looks terrible" way

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I really hope somehow the Church of Scientology is tied to CR or CIG; I'd love to see the reactions to something like that coming out

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

For anybody who hasn't yet done so, you NEED to play The Magic Circle. It is "Star Citizen: The Game And Experience"

It follows a company that never follows through on their scope creep promises and will never release a game, complete with a lead designer that needs to just direct a loving moviewrite a loving book instead of making a sequel to a game that's a decade old

It is impossible for me to play without constantly thinking of Star Citizen. Ben* and Sandi are even in the game! The lead designer's nickname is Star Father!

the Ben analogue of the story is a young woman primarily known for writing fan fiction and being Chris RobertStar Father's biggest fan.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if there's a crossover between Star Citizens and Sovereign Citizens, the both seem to have an obsession with the power of names. One response to that video mentions a "Darak Smart" and a "David Braden." That's not even a childish attempt at insult, it's just refusing to spell people's names correctly as if doing so will somehow be a victory for Smart and Braben.

Particularly amusing what with Braben probably not giving a poo poo about SC given that he's busy with his actually-released, functioning game. Which I bought last night, you fuckers.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

Well you only upgraded one digit of your GPU, what would you expect :confused:

Also performance in Star Citizen is primarily cash limited

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sunswipe posted:

I wonder if there's a crossover between Star Citizens and Sovereign Citizens, the both seem to have an obsession with the power of names. One response to that video mentions a "Darak Smart" and a "David Braden." That's not even a childish attempt at insult, it's just refusing to spell people's names correctly as if doing so will somehow be a victory for Smart and Braben.

Particularly amusing what with Braben probably not giving a poo poo about SC given that he's busy with his actually-released, functioning game. Which I bought last night, you fuckers.

I'm betting this is another gamergate tactic, like their insistence on "archiving" rather than linking

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well you only upgraded one digit of your GPU, what would you expect :confused:

Also performance in Star Citizen is primarily cash limited

Star Citizen: Alt-tab baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
So did we confirm that Zecumbe is a goon or is that just wishful thinking?

• Locked thread