Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Voting Plan Theantero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Rumble in the warehouse
Month 2, week three, day five
Twilight

Telling Konnie and Johakim to stay back and look for trouble, Abigail and Tommy to flank and Skvababt to snipe as best as she is able, you take the rest of the team and goad them into a furious charge.

Skvababt trembles, her giant eyes watering a bit as she takes aim for one of the Kobolds that fled into the warehouse ahead of you [e8]. A miss.

You rush out towards the rightmost group, yelling furiously. They respond by hissing and yelling back. One of the ones to the right clambers into one of the nearby open crates [g10->h10] one of the ones to the north climb up another stack of crates [b6-b8] but the rest counter-charge.

Kvelar gets off a crossbow bolt before the meleé begins in earnest. A perfect shot, slipping between the cover the crude kobod shield provides, puncturing it's heart through it's even cruder armour. The kobold [g7] dies instantly.

---

Abigail and Tommy meanwhile try going around the crates, coming up on a kobold [c2] who up until recently was attempting to pry some crates open with what looks to be an improvised crowbar-sickle. It wears a shoddy animal cloak on its back, and its eyes go wide as it spots them. Screeching, it waves the weapon in front of it like an improvised shield, that it barley manages to hold onto when Abigail attempts to knock it out of its paws with her quarterstaff.

Tommy is less merciful, his greatclub splattering kobold goo all over the warehouse. Two down.

---

Skvababt attempts to fire again, but the impending close quarter combat prevents her from getting a good angle. Another miss.

The northernmost kobold (b8), having climbed to the highest vantage point in the room, readies a large (well, Kobold-relative) crossbow and aims it at said fight, either it feels very confident about its abilities or it does not care for friendly fire.
Knowing what you do about Kobolds, either is just as likely. A bolt flies past you somewhere to the left, sticking into the crate by your side.

The kobold at [h10] pops up out of his box briefly to fire in your general direction, but takes even less time to aim. A miss.

A chaotic mess of fighting ensues. You are paired up with a spear wielding kobold, whom is keeping you at bay with wild swings whilst another, club-wielding one attempts to flank you by jumping onto the nearby crates.
The last you saw, Kvelar had stomped all over the one he killed and was attempting to end another one whilst avoiding stray bolts and Khami was busy with his own lizard, trying to get away to make better use of his chains.

---

1:
You are an inexperienced fighter in the midst of battle. You cannot afford to divide your focus, yet you know that any action you take could turn the tide for better or worse.

A: I try to fight my chosen spearbold as best I can. Focus all attention on the fight.
B: Khami needs help to be able to use his chains for maximum efficiency, I try to get some heat off him. This risks getting a second Kobold onto me (soon to be third), but if successful, will let Khami fight that much better, perhaps speeding up the battle.
C: You are about to get flanked, but you have allies nearby that could help. Focus on getting their attention, perhaps Konnie could back you up? Give an order to someone.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
B

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A. It's three on three, even at a disadvantage we still have the upper hand, the firing kobolds are more likely to hit their friends in the back so just keep going.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Outrail posted:

A. It's three on three, even at a disadvantage we still have the upper hand, the firing kobolds are more likely to hit their friends in the back so just keep going.

This. A

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
C, to be contrarian

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Kobold Spear
Twilight

You turn your full attention to the Kobold in front of you. Adrenaline kicks in as you realize the gravity of your situation, and all else seems a distant worry.

---

In the heat of the moment, all you can think about is your opponent. You had always thought Kobolds to be clumsy, primitive creatures, yet fighting one you are struck by the grace of its movements. Lean, yet muscular with sharp teeth, claws and talons.
Its eyes betraying some of its draconian heritage. You cant help but feel that they look designed somehow, as if to fit some mysterious purpose.

The glamour is broken as it speaks, it's hissing voice a mockery of the Imperial Dialect.

“Silly hunam! Yous face is doomed! All tribe hear battle, all tribe is trap for to kill you! Yip yip! You no chance against strong K-k-obold!”

Your opponent stumbles, together with everyone else in the room as a loud crash is heard from somewhere behind the crates. You hear Abigail yelling something but are to occupied to tell exactly what.

Khami yells in pain at your side. You block a spearthrust with your shield, try to counter with your axe but hit nothing of note.
More yelling, Konnies voice. Whatever he said is lost in the din of battle. He sounded worried.

You see Khami stumble back in the corner of your eye. The Kobold fighting him turns its attention to you, if only briefly, since an arrow (presumably Skvababts) strikes it through its armour, pushing it back and drawing blood.

Somewhere far ahead, beyond the rails, you see streaks of blonde hair rushing forward. The momentary distraction proves enough for the Kobold facing you to find an opening.
You are lightly grazed by the pointy tip of a spear, going through your Fine Leather armour to strike you in the side of the lower abdomen. Pain grips you, but you persevere.

You are thrilled to see two of your allies surround the spearwielder that has been a thorn in your side as of late, but the continued yelling from afar concerns you.
You take advantage of your numerical superiority to cleave with all your might, cutting off the Kobolds spear-arm at the elbow. It dies soon after.

With your sudden respite you get a better view of the chaos surrounding you. The first thing you notice is Tommy crushing yet another Kobold like a petulant child knocking over a sandcastle,
and Abigail laying bleeding from the arm on the other side of the tracks. Konnie and Johakim are busy with something behind you, and Khami is trying to get back on his feet at your side.

Another arrow flies past you, catching a fleeing Kobold in the back, but its armour seems to take most of the hit.
The Kobold archer standing up on the crates shoots down once at your group, missing, and jumps back behind them, disappearing from view.

---

1: The remaining Kobolds are fleeing, but there are only two exists that you can see. One is where you came from, no one is going to be escaping in that direction, and the other is down into the mine.
Do you order a pursuit, or do you order your team to stay put and recuperate?

A: Pursuit!
B: Recuperate!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

B

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Yeah, B.

I realize the kobold might alert its fellows, but we do not want to chase a kobold recklessly through a kobold warren. It is probably leading us towards a trap.

Take a moment to have Johakim look our wounds over.

Ask Skvab if she is alright. She seems to be in a bad way.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B, you don't chase into a possible trap

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

B - take a minute to figure out who's hurt and how bad

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
B, ask the frog girl what's been bothering her but first try to get an arrow into the fleeing kobold if possible at all. Then tend to the wounded.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Mr. Nemo posted:

B, ask the frog girl what's been bothering her but first try to get an arrow into the fleeing kobold if possible at all. Then tend to the wounded.

Yes, please ask sexy frog what's up. She's been off her game, and seems to be drying out. We are concerned. In a platonic way!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Priorities
Late Twilight

“Hold!” You shout. “Intercept them if you can, but don't rush into their warren!”

Kvelar lets loose a bolt, missing the cross'bold by inches as it half runs, half rolls into the mine.

Where the last one went, you have no idea.

---

Seeing the situation de-escalate, you try to take stock of the situation. “We have wounded.” You state, turning your back from the duckwoman lying bleeding on the floor
and the stoic chain warrior struggling to get up at your side. “How are you feeling, Skvababt?”

“Mhmm. Why Mr. Ironscript, how kind of you to ask.
These tight quarters make me quiver, much like you.
Everything just sort of blurs together, like a good night out.
But I feel much more confident with a strong man such as yourself here to protect me.”

---

Johakim comes back with a report. Khami was struck by a crossbow bolt, yet this chainmail proved sufficient to thwart the worst of the blow.
Abigail was not so lucky, her recently purchased bog-standard leather armour proved little deterrent to the arrow sticking out of her arm.
As for your own wound, it will heal with time, but you are going to feel it for some time. Your fighting ability is not diminished overly, however.

---

You briefly go over the battle with your team. Tommy and Abigail swept up north as you had agreed upon, felling the first Kobold with no issue and then splitting up.
Abigail went for the archer but was struck before she could reach him. Tommy meanwhile destroyed the one that was attempting to flank you, before running down to help with the rest of them.

Skvababt fired arrows throughout, hitting at least one but missing most of her shots.

Kvelar killed one with his crossbow and another with his axe, before helping you dispatch the spear'bold and its friends with you and Tommy.

Khami was overwhelmed by the close quarters combat and struck by an arrow.

Konnie, having stayed behind noticed a hiertoo unseen kobod sneaking down from the crates to attempt to flank you, and together with Johakim dispatched it before it could do any harm.

All in all, ITEC killed 7 out of the 9 kobolds in the room and wounded at least one other, at the cost of one large and two minor wounds.
Including the three outside brings the current total up to 10 out of 12.
---

1: What have you learned from this fight? Is there anything you wish to consider doing differently the next time?
Write-In.

---

2: Where do you go now?
A: The workers quarters. If so, do you leave a guard at the mine entrance? Who?
B: Into the mines.
C: Something else, perhaps you wish to set up camp here or something similar?

---

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “Pays ta be thorough, Take Konnie an' me an let's clear the workers quarters right quick, afore we head on in. Tho I fear time is of the essence.”
Tommy: “These Kobold's aint so tough, as long as you surprise them. Don't want to get overwhelmed, they are certainly clever enough.”
Khami: “If we rush; We overextend ourselves. If we go slow, we give them to much time to prepare. Moderation is key.”
Johakim: “Best not tarry, I reckon, what with the prisoner and all. I'm afraid Abigail is out of the fight for now, Although I’m not sure where she could go at this hour.”
Konnie: “Sneaky illegal expletive, I’ll grant 'em that. Always be on yer guard boss. They'll try ta trap or flank ya ever step of the way.”
Abigail: “Don't listen to the doc, I’m right as rain. Just got an arrow sticking out of my arm, so what? I Can still fight.” “I'll show that stupid Kobold what an angry duck can do!”
Skvababt: “Mhm, beware their archers. They might not look like much, but their kiss is the painful sting of rejection.”

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is medium, and unstable, the mood is worried.
You are Lightly Hurt, well fed and somewhat rested. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your side hurts, but not detrimentally]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [02 kills] [01 assist]
Tommy: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [03 kills]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally]
Johakim: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Avoids fighting, tends to wounds. [01 assist]
Konnie: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with newly daggers. [02 kills]
Abigail: Is Hurt. She is well fed and moderately rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [02 assists] [Has an arrow sticking out of her arm. Make of that what you will. It probably hurts a lot.]
Skvababt: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a longbow. [02 kills] [01 assists]

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

1. Kobald are weak in combat, that's why they use trap.
2. C: Leave and go do the snow monster quest. We will come back again in a few days when their security is lower.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. Situational awareness is crucial. It allows you to surprise the enemy and avoid being surprised yourself. If Konnie wasn't there, the sneaking kobold we didn't notice could have done much worse.
2. A. Leave Skvababt to snipe any kobolds coming out of the mine.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Oh, how about we become ghost again and haunt the mine until the kobold give up?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Or become their God and have them situate in the worse possible layout. Then roll in and crush them.

We'd need more cupcakes for that though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

1: Make sure people are on the ball first? Say some morale building stuff.

2: A - Take Kvelar and Konnie and clear the workers quarters.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Aww, Skvababt is claustrophobic.

I dunno what to do for 1, but:

works for me.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

1. Kobolds may not be very strong, but they make up for it in number and shrewdness. Do not rush into a battle with them, or any other enemy for that matter, in a battleground you do not know. Always check your back. Khami needs some space to be effective, try not to put him in situations where he may be overwhelmed. Tommy and Kvelar are our best melee fighters. Skavbat becomes less useful in closed spaces.

The mine will probably make frog lady nearly useless. I don't know useful a bow would be to start with there, so it may not make much of a difference. We definitely make sure we won't get surrounded by killing every Kobold outside before venturing in. And advance into the mine very carefully.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Clear!
Month 2, week three, day five/six
Midnight

You leave most of your crew behind to go clear out the workers quarters. You feel pretty confident in their ability to defend the chokepoint against anything but a mass invasion,
and judging by the size of the building in question clearing our the barracks and cantina shouldn't take too long.

Still, you bring Konnie and Kvelar, grabbing a few lose planks on the way that Tommy helpfully improvised for you accidentally whilst going to town on Kobolds.
Better safe than sorry, and the planks will work wonders in disarming obvious traps, or so you hope.

---

You first enter the dining hall, which seems to have been built to regulation and then torn down to shreds. Not a single item remains whole in the stone-floored room.
A small, ash filled crater is all that remains of the main table, with bits of broken furniture lying strewn about all over the room with some of it even embedded in the wall.
On the ceiling you see fixtures for some sort of chandelier, although the thing itself is missing. With nothing else of interest in the room, you continue onwards.

---

The kitchen is devoid of metal, but you have come to expect as much after dealing with these critters. That leaves nothing but stone and calcified slime shelving, as well as obvious tracks leading from the larder (also empty) deeper into the compound.
The barracks are equally disappointing, just a long series of beds, gouges in the ground indicating the lack of chests which presumably would have held the miners gear as they slept.

---

You turn back in time to hear some commotion from the warehouse, but the situation is dealt with before you get back. The archer kobold what had shot Abigail turned up again, perhaps attempting to finish the job or just trying to sneak back into the mine.
There was an exchange of arrows which ended up with it pinned to the wall, it is screaming and flailing and Tommy is just about to end its life when he is interrupted by your return.

---

You...

1:
A: Raise your hand, say 'hold!' - Most of the Kobolds have spoken some sort of understandable variant of Imperial, perhaps you could interrogate it?
B: Do nothing, let Tommy deal with it.
C: Abigail looks to you, arrow still sticking out of her arm. She doesn't need to say anything for you to understand what she means; She wants to deal with it on her own.

---

2:
The Mine does the opposite of loom ahead of you, as the tunnel descends ominously into the soil. When question #1 is decided and dealt with, what do you wish to do next?

D: Begin the descent. Party composition and order of travel are important here, as the tunnels are sometimes a tight fit. Any additional orders to consider?
You have the time and safety, for now, to gather anything you might need from your carts, or to ask your party members for their input on anything you desire.

E: Something else, perhaps you wish to abandon the mine and go somewhere else? Write-in.

---

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “A prisoners worth its weight in gold aye, but Kobolds don't weigh much. Still, no harm in proddin' it a bit, eh?”
Tommy: “They don't seem to be concerned for their own lives, I don't think you can threaten it.”
Khami: “Its just as likely to lie as tell the truth.”
Johakim: “Maybe it knows about the prisoner?”
Konnie: “Can't trust a Kobold, might as well kill it and be done.”
Abigail: *glares angrily*
Skvababt: “Mhm. I can make it talk, just you watch. It's going to be educational.

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is medium, and unstable, the mood is worried.
You are Lightly Hurt, well fed and somewhat rested. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your side hurts, but not detrimentally]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [02 kills] [01 assist]
Tommy: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [03 kills]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally]
Johakim: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Avoids fighting, tends to wounds. [01 assist]
Konnie: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with newly daggers. [02 kills]
Abigail: Is Hurt. She is well fed and moderately rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [02 assists] [Has an arrow sticking out of her arm. Make of that what you will. It probably hurts a lot.]
Skvababt: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a longbow. [02 kills] [01 assists] [01 takedowns] (+1 since last update)

[Bonus Tactical Information]
You suspect Skvababt to suffer from some sort of claustrophobia, and at any rate a longbow would probably be useless in tight corridors deep underground. You might consider leaving her behind. On the other hand, an extra pair of eyes is always good to have around.

Abigail has an arrow sticking out of her arm. Johakim says she is out of the fight, but she insists she can still handle things. What to do with her is up to you.

The Kobolds you have fought so far favour numerical superiority and ambush, but are quick to flee if things seem to be going badly. You believe Kobolds make up for their individual weakness by employing said ambushes and furthermore in their love of traps.
Having someone to spot your back is crucial so as to no be overwhelmed, and situational awareness is equally important so as not to stumble into hidden death. Something to consider as you continue forward.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A. Raise your hand, slap the kobald silly

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A - interrogate it and then let Abigail finish it off

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

let the horny frog do its thing

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. A: play good cop/bad cop with Skvababt.
2. D: Kvelar first. His shield will help him survive the unexpected, and with axe and crossbow he can respond to threats both near and far.
Then Konnie for close-quarters support and Skvababt for long-range support, and also because both probably have an above-average eye for traps.
Then Khami, so he has a little extra distance to swing his chain.
Abigail and Johakim go in the middle away from the frontlines.
Then Thorgrim so we have a good view of everything going on and don't get ourself killed, and finally Tommy guards the rear.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1: A, and tell Abigail we're very proud of how she's conducted herself during battle

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Interview with a Kobold, part 001
Midnight

“Hold!” you yell “Don't kill it yet. Maybe it knows something?”

Tommy lowers his greatclub, nodding at you.

“Aye boss. Maybe it does at that.”

After making sure it is even more firmly locked in place, with no access to any of its gear and with assurance from Johakim that it probably isn't in danger of bleeding out instantly, you have Tommy slap it to get its attention.

“Ai! Yip yip!”
“Big doof hunam! Come closer, my mouth traps you!! YIP!”

3:
Well, what do you want to know?
Write-in.

4:
If it seems unforthcoming with information, is there anything you'd like to promise it, be it good or bad, carrot or stick, to help with motivation?
Write-in.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Regarding 2:

We are probably going to find some open rooms but also several corridors, trapped corridors.

Ask Skavbat if he feels she would be useful down there.

Ask everyone which position they should take in a line.

I'm thinking our cousin in the front, he has a shield. And the big guy with a club in the back, he can take care of a sneaking kobold on his own.

Ask the Khami if he thinks he can use his chains in a tight space.

Frog lady should come and be somewhere in the middle, she has big eyes and is an archer, probably has a good eye for traps. Let's ask her to be sure.

We are not such a good fighter, we should let the rest take care of enemies if they come in the straight line, we go in the back with Tommy.

Abigail in front of us, away from danger hopefully. Or maybe we should let both her and Skavbat guarding the entry to the mine.

For now: Kvelar, Konnie, Khami, Johakim, Skavbat, Abigail, us, Tommy

As for the questions:

How many kobolds are in the mine?

Let's start with something simple.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Interview with a Kobold, part 002
Midnight

Mr. Nemo posted:

How many kobolds are in the mine?

"Is ours, not yours! You no take kobold haus!
We'z born here, came first!"

You prod it a bit, "no." "HOW MANY KOBOLDS?"

It looks at you quizzically.

"Uhn! I know this, is" it says as it begins counting on its claws silently.

You prod it again.

"Uhm! There ams Slammo and Ploid, altho Slammy is trapped I think and also Nyeet, Yipple and Scorch.
Dorgma, Pia-noes and Zek an Barstock but Barstock fell in a hole haha."

The Kobold looks at you wild-eyed, stiffling more laughter before continuing.
"Gurjan and Xixxor, leafet an' saucepan..."
"uhm" it says, having run out of obvious things to help it count long ago. Thinking a bit more, it continues.
"dat am... pile of clutchmates! dat manies? Ya!! Is more than hunams haahha. You no manies!"
It grins at this realization.
"Yip yip! My clutch it fites you! All the clutches fite for big haus!!"
"You best go home hunam, before you is trapped, FOREVER!!"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why shouldn't we kill you?

This is going to sound crazy, but...I sorta want to kidnap this guy and turn him into a loyal team member. Like if we just show it love and compassion it'll decide to join us. Not that this is realistic...

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

How many clutches are there?

What's so important about the big house that it's worth dying for?

Who's the leader of your clutch? What are they like?

Do you know anything else about the other clutches?

How have you avoided all the traps down there?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Who are the king candidate

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

All these questions are cool, but we should have Skvababt handle the actual questioning.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Are there any traps you're really proud of?

Did the other kobolds make any traps that are dumb and obviously won't work?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Theantero posted:

All these questions are cool, but we should have Skvababt handle the actual questioning.

PLEASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Interview with a Kobold, part 003
Midnight

Your head feels slightly woozy and the air around you takes on a slightly irony tinge as you decide to let Skvababt handle the interrogation from now on.

“Hello there.”

“Yip!”

“Oh yes.” “Yip.” “Mhm.” “Tell me little one, do you fear the sweet release of death?” “Do you want a life, free from bondage? Mhm. What would you give us, should we... prove so pliable?”

“Uhm.” “Wot.” “Is trap?”

“Yes, traps. You make such lovely traps, don’t you? Tell me about your most precious one.”

“Hoh! Is make trap door for two get stuck! Is door; But stuck hand when try open! So trapped, then open door full of kobolds! Jump you! Trap! Yip yip!”

“You must be the brightest kobold, to have make such devious a trap. What about your peers? Surely they can never compare to a trapmaker such as you? What laughable contraptions, have they developed, and how do you evade them?”

“Uhm. Big hole? Is big hole; you fall in. Dunno where tho. Is just hole.”

“You are obviously very important, you must know everyone there is to know down there. Whom would you say is most likely to be the next big chief?”

“Is egg!” “yip!” “Hail Egg!”

“Mhm. Eggs. How Eggciting. How many clutches are there? How many... eggs... have you seen down there? What are the other clutches like?”

“Always egg, always clutch, always Kobold for to make the traps!!”

“I see. And... what makes this big house so important to you?
Why have you decided to live here, on the rugged mountain, bravely facing the daunting perils of the mine?”

“Is... for traps?”