Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I dunno, still sounds pretty Thunderdomey considering you were expecting a slash on the back of the leg and got cup checked instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

But it's been so non-Thunderdomey all season so far :(

So how did game 1 go again?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Doctor Butts posted:

I dunno, still sounds pretty Thunderdomey considering you were expecting a slash on the back of the leg and got cup checked instead.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/mike-richards-kenora-beer-league-1.3440067

The ringiest ringer whoever rung a ring

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would vacate goal if I ever had to face that kind of bullshit. Then again I could use the "hey bro, when are you getting your call up?" chirp with sincerity.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody here have experience with having gloves repalmed by Eagle? How is it? Can they do gussets as well?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shyduck posted:

Anybody here have experience with having gloves repalmed by Eagle? How is it? Can they do gussets as well?

Yes and yes. It owns.

They did all leather palms, tan for my tan h34s and black for my black h34s.

They'll also do ppf palms if that's your thing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I would vacate goal if I ever had to face that kind of bullshit. Then again I could use the "hey bro, when are you getting your call up?" chirp with sincerity.

Doubt that ever gonna be a problem for ya, ace

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

sellouts posted:

Yes and yes. It owns.

They did all leather palms, tan for my tan h34s and black for my black h34s.

They'll also do ppf palms if that's your thing.
Thanks, good to hear. They actually got back to my email super quickly. I have a pair of X70s from over 10 years ago that I want to repair. The palms are so crusty they're pretty much solid. I think I'm going to do MSH3 and some mesh gussets

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't know if they do anything other brands than their own anymore though.

I know they cut off supplying their palms to repair shops ... now you have to send them in direct for repair so I'm not sure that they service competitor gloves ...

You might want to check

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

sellouts posted:

Doubt that ever gonna be a problem for ya, ace

Well I guess I need to get some experience for when I sign my ATO with the local ECHL team.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hey xzzy honestly answer me, when you see me chirp vargatron with nonsense do you just kind of laugh and remember when it was you?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not really, it's more like "oh look that salty geezer who's been skating for a million years is picking on the rookies again."

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

aren't you older than i am

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes but you're a hockey geezer, big difference.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

sellouts posted:

hey xzzy honestly answer me, when you see me chirp vargatron with nonsense do you just kind of laugh and remember when it was you?

Can I get a sample of these nonsense chirps?

Also someone said "gently caress you" and dodged my hand in the handshake line the other day. These pusses need to play soccer if they don't like any contact.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DeNofa posted:

Can I get a sample of these nonsense chirps?

Also someone said "gently caress you" and dodged my hand in the handshake line the other day. These pusses need to play soccer if they don't like any contact.

"Good game."
"Good game."
"gently caress You."
"Good game."

- Standard Beer League Handshake Line.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Vargatron posted:

"Good game."
"Good game."
"gently caress You."
"Good game."

- Standard Beer League Handshake Line.

I guess I'm just not old/cranky enough to have this mentality. Yet.

That said, it was a semi-final game and we get to play at PNC Arena since we won... I can understand the butthurt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll say gently caress you in a handshake line, but only to my friends.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Same. Always fun to get a good chirp in.

Have you guys seen the Mammoth hockey bag? Interesting but I don't think I'd pay that much money for one.

calandryll fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 12, 2016

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DeNofa posted:

I guess I'm just not old/cranky enough to have this mentality. Yet.

That said, it was a semi-final game and we get to play at PNC Arena since we won... I can understand the butthurt.

What up fellow Carolinian?

I try and let things go in the handshake line and be a good sport. There's really not much you can get mad about in D league anyway.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

xzzy posted:

I'll say gently caress you in a handshake line, but only to my friends.

last night in the handshake line, I told each one that they have pretty feet.

7-1 loss. our goalie continues to play more like a b-movie robot in pads than an actual goalie. at one point, I deflected a shot that ended up hitting him in the cage and dropping in the crease next to him. I couldn't get around to get it out before they poked it in, but the best part was our goalie blaming the forwards for not back checking, cuz yeah... that's why they lit you up blocker side like a traffic light.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Saw my first fight on the ice last game, weird being that close to it as opposed to seeing it on TV. Definitely not something I desire to get involved in into the future.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

delpheye posted:

last night in the handshake line, I told each one that they have pretty feet.

7-1 loss. our goalie continues to play more like a b-movie robot in pads than an actual goalie. at one point, I deflected a shot that ended up hitting him in the cage and dropping in the crease next to him. I couldn't get around to get it out before they poked it in, but the best part was our goalie blaming the forwards for not back checking, cuz yeah... that's why they lit you up blocker side like a traffic light.

No you see what the forwards have to do is stand right in front of the oncoming shot and screen his goaltender.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
i just pretend we are all in the same hockey locker room here and everyone just casually shits on eachother lovingly

sellouts is the veteran who shakes his head and laughs at me when i fall down and yells at me when i pass it directly to the other team

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vargatron posted:

No you see what the forwards have to do is stand right in front of the oncoming shot and screen his goaltender.

This is necessary because the defense stopped giving a poo poo midway through the first and are trying to catch their breath in the corners, meaning someone has to cover the slot. The center? Yeah that nicely describes where on the ice he's standing around waiting for a pass.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

communist kangaroo posted:

sellouts is the veteran who shakes his head and laughs at me when i fall down and yells at me when i pass it directly to the other team

This is very accurate.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

Vargatron posted:

What up fellow Carolinian?

:hfive:

It'll be fun to play at PNC. Regular season is at IcePlex in Raleigh. I think I've seen that you're out in Cha'lott?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

calandryll posted:

Have you guys seen the Mammoth hockey bag? Interesting but I don't think I'd pay that much money for one.

I got the Oglethorpe for christmas and I like it, much better then the graf and easton bags I had before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those mammoth bags review really highly, but I think you could do just as good hunting down an old school canvas bag.

Like these guys:

http://www.americanhockeycenter.net/cat-custom-hockey-equipment-bags.cfm

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Are the Mammoth bags the ones with the bottle opener on the strap that did a Kickstarter a couple of years ago?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

DeNofa posted:

:hfive:

It'll be fun to play at PNC. Regular season is at IcePlex in Raleigh. I think I've seen that you're out in Cha'lott?

I frequent the Saturday skates at Extreme Ice since the rink here in Greenville, SC is down. I'm the goalie in Vaughn pads that's terrible most the time.

I come up to PNC a couple times a season to see Carolina play.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
During a game last night, I was defending in my own end, keeping the puck carrier to the outside and giving him a few token whacks against the shins as I tried for the sweep check. Eventually dispossessed him and the puck left the zone. I was skating on to it to start the breakout when the dude skated right into my path. With few options, I just lowered my shoulder into his chest and blew him up. Probably the closest thing to an actual body check I've ever done. There was a lot of grumbling from the guy and his bench, and I guess it was probably pretty borderline contact, but drat if it didn't feel neat to put him on his butt.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

re: Bag chat

I really like the Warrior bag I picked up a few years ago. Fits all my gear nicely, has some nice compartments, but also has the mesh top to it, which lets jerseys and socks air out nicely that I keep in there (I hang all my equipment on a stand). I'll use it until it rips or the straps come undone.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/warrior-hockey-equipment-bag-pro-player.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Added bonus, it's big enough to stash bodies in.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

Added bonus, it's big enough to stash bodies in.

I proved this to be true when I got it, first thing I did was get inside and zipped it up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

communist kangaroo posted:

i just pretend we are all in the same hockey locker room here and everyone just casually shits on eachother lovingly

the first part is very true, i would skate with anyone here and have a good time because i have skated with like 7 or 8 people in this thread and it has been fun every time

i don't yell when you pass to other team. way too try hard. i just make fun of you

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
How do you separate the man from the puck or just impede progress/potentially steal the puck in the neutral without hitting the guy? I see guys who manage to come away with the puck more often than not when they're pressuring forecheckers and I can't figure it out what it is they're doing, or what I'm doing wrong.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

prom candy posted:

How do you separate the man from the puck or just impede progress/potentially steal the puck in the neutral without hitting the guy? I see guys who manage to come away with the puck more often than not when they're pressuring forecheckers and I can't figure it out what it is they're doing, or what I'm doing wrong.

Stick lift is one obvious trick.

I see a lot of players do what I call "Skating through their stick." Not much explanation to it but I will offer it anyway. You have to be able to get a step in front of them, then slide through the area between the body and the puck.

They can defeat that by flipping, pulling etc. the puck to whatever side you are coming from and switching sides so they are basically now behind you. You see this play in lots of highlight videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

We always did a lot of "get big" practice. You get arms out, try to get parallel to the guy with the puck, get your stick parallel to the body, and just try and take up as much physical space as you can. The bigger you are the more likely he is to hit you with the puck, or make a bad pass because he can't see where he's sending it.