Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Toops posted:

I never cease to be impressed by how talented their artists are. Such a loving waste.

They're incredibly talented people working on incredibly stupid ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

fuzzknot posted:

Was there a specific turning point? Derek's threats of legal action, the emails between Sandi and Beer, Bootcha's lucky escape and accompanying revelations of employee abuse, EightAce's posts, etc.? All of the above? Common sense?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sorry for not answering sooner - was backtracking through the thread and I noticed your post. I think for me the turning point was the Sandi sacking incident + Crobblers escapist diatribe - I realised that any company run by people with that sort of attitude was in all probability gonna tank. Also Ben - just Ben being Ben. That coupled with the general and IMO inarguable logic on display here (inbetween Cattes and receipies) made me utilise my critical faculties and decide to get the gently caress out of Dodge.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

Somehow I don't think so. At least not for a lot of the backers. Sure, there's a lot of theorycrafters out there who are buying ships based on how they think they will perform in a fight or what weapons they can put on it, a la MWO or WoT, but I've got a buddy who's in for about $800 and from talking to him about it (he's the guy that got me to put in my original pledge like three years ago) it was never an issue of power creep or whatever. It always came down to wish fulfillment for him, more than any kind of technical superiority. He used to talk about how he wanted to log in and stand on the bridge of his ship and just look at a planet while he had a cup of coffee. Like, he bought his ships based on three factors:

1. Liking the concept art
2. The nebulous description of a ship as "explorer" or "luxury" without any actual idea what that meant
3. When it comes to financial support more = better

In regards to #1, if it makes it to fruition...the outcry of the BMM versus the concept art will be amazing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Colostomy Bag posted:

In regards to #1, if it makes it to fruition...the outcry of the BMM versus the concept art will be amazing.

Oh it's gonna be biblical - except that they already said they aren't even going to touch it until everything else is out, which means that the chances of it ever coming out are about the same as the chances of keeping both your testicles in a visit to the Stimpire.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Galarox posted:

Incindentally, if anyone has some suggestions for classic art/paintings or anything else I can play with/CIG-ify please suggest it. I am laid up with a back injury at the mo so I have the time! :jeb:

Mona lisa with one of those creepy anime masks on.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

Somehow I don't think so. At least not for a lot of the backers. Sure, there's a lot of theorycrafters out there who are buying ships based on how they think they will perform in a fight or what weapons they can put on it, a la MWO or WoT, but I've got a buddy who's in for about $800 and from talking to him about it (he's the guy that got me to put in my original pledge like three years ago) it was never an issue of power creep or whatever. It always came down to wish fulfillment for him, more than any kind of technical superiority. He used to talk about how he wanted to log in and stand on the bridge of his ship and just look at a planet while he had a cup of coffee. Like, he bought his ships based on three factors:

2. The nebulous description of a ship as "explorer" or "luxury" without any actual idea what that meant

I see your point. Would you concede, however, that the elevated prices makes it more likely for people to believe that the project will be a success, and deliver an unprecedented and unparalleled experience, than had the game sold the exact same concept ships for, say, $5 or $10 apiece? The prices alone, outside all other factors, imply incredible quality to those who are otherwise uninformed about the true state of the project.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:rip: commando o9

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Can you do Napoleon on the reeling horse, with croberts face and an idris instead of a sabre?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Galarox posted:

Sorry for not answering sooner - was backtracking through the thread and I noticed your post. I think for me the turning point was the Sandi sacking incident + Crobblers escapist diatribe - I realised that any company run by people with that sort of attitude was in all probability gonna tank. Also Ben - just Ben being Ben. That coupled with the general and IMO inarguable logic on display here (inbetween Cattes and receipies) made me utilise my critical faculties and decide to get the gently caress out of Dodge.

It terrifies me that there are people not only defending Chris but continuing to give him money after that. Seriously? Trusting someone who wrote an eight-hour diatribe with a hundred million dollars? The mind boggles.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Batgirl is a trap, surely?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder if the completely off-the-wall prices of some of these ships (hundreds, even thousands of dollars) is exactly why people bought them. "A $25 mount, a $15 tank, a $75 mech - what a rip, these companies always with their loving P2W microtransactions."

"Wait, what? $2500 for a ship? Holy poo poo, at that price, it must be awesome!!!! Oh here's a smaller one, it's just $250! I can buy two of those fuckers and still be $2000 ahead!"

There was definitely some psychology at work here beyond just donating to a dream. The people that tell you their money was just for "donation and the ship is a bonus" are loving liars. Read the posts where these same people demand their ship do what they expect $2500 should allow it to do.

What makes it even more interesting is when your $250 ship is revealed to be, in point of fact, a pile of hot garbage when compared to the very affordable $290 version, which is being revealed today.

The SC reddit loves losing their pants over ED's Horizon expansion. But when people bought a Freelancer back in the day, billed as an exploration ship, to find that if they want that exploration aspect they'll be asked to kindly drop another $25-30-40 whatever dollars into the donation tray the general population generally just laughs with mild hysteria and sends the signal to the drummers to beat a little louder and a little faster.

Then you fast forward 2 years to find that CIG has no plans for either and no real development has gone into anything. It's crazy.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How long has the PU been out?
It's touching cloth.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

lol, an imaginary space tunnel with the possibility of multiple exits? what a next-gen idea, the whole team didn't even think of that one! :negative:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh it's gonna be biblical - except that they already said they aren't even going to touch it until everything else is out, which means that the chances of it ever coming out are about the same as the chances of keeping both your testicles in a visit to the Stimpire.

Besides the fact they said they tossed out all the concept art for it and are starting from scratch. Which I never read the reason why.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

alf_pogs posted:

forgive my lovely text positioning

oh my god I just now saw this :vince:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

What makes it even more interesting is when your $250 ship is revealed to be, in point of fact, a pile of hot garbage when compared to the very affordable $290 version, which is being revealed today.

The SC reddit loves losing their pants over ED's Horizon expansion. But when people bought a Freelancer back in the day, billed as an exploration ship, to find that if they want that exploration aspect they'll be asked to kindly drop another $25-30-40 whatever dollars into the donation tray the general population generally just laughs with mild hysteria and sends the signal to the drummers to beat a little louder and a little faster.

Then you fast forward 2 years to find that CIG has no plans for either and no real development has gone into anything. It's crazy.

Funny thing about ED, is that I dropped $75 on the base game a few years ago, just to help it hum along. Then last week I dropped another $45, right before I sale I knew was coming the next day, to get a gold paintjob and some other bonus I can't even recall, simply because I wanted to help support a game that exists right now and can be played. So that's $120 - the most I've ever spent on a single game, and the most I'm ever likely to spend on a single game, and I don't begrudge a cent of it.

There was a post in this thread that ended with a simple sentence that had me laughing for 15 straight minutes. It was simply, "Nobody knows what this game is." It was just the purest essence of Star Citizen, distilled into the simplest expression imaginable. That level of truth would have enlightened Buddha.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's something almost childishly innocent about this wish to have a happy universe in a multiplayer game, particularly sad from the second one who doesn't understand what multiplayer is at all, even after playing all those multiplayer games. Wasn't there a great SA thread about how people ganked in many different multiplayer games, even ones you thought were not possible to gank? I feel there's a serious educational opportunity going missing here.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

fuzzknot posted:

I suspected as much. That's EXACTLY what we do at my job. The bosses refuse to listen when someone tells them their ideas are terrible. It's even worse when they ask us for ideas, and somebody comes up with a good one, and they shoot it down immediately and insist on going with their own stupid plan which of course doesn't work. So we either don't do it at all and say we did or else we just half rear end it.

I work for a local office supplier, and we began carrying K-cups a year or so ago. My boss didn't put enough effort into selling the K-cups, so they sat on a shelf in the warehouse and rotted for months.

A few weeks ago, my boss got the bright idea to get rid of about thirty miniature bankers boxes (they were some kind of cutesy sample given to us by a vendor) by placing a sugar packet, creamer, and expired K-cup in each box, slapping a label with the company logo on the box, and having the delivery drivers deliver a mini bankers box with each order. Never mind that 1.) The coffee was EXPIRED, 2.) We have far more customers than that, 3.) It looked absolutely stupid--especially since the labels he had me make were on stained old labels he'd had lying around forever, and 4.) He didn't bother to check which of our customers even had Keurigs. I tried to point out that last one, and his answer was that the free K-cup might inspire the customer to purchase a Keurig.

My coworkers and I talked to the delivery drivers, who then unceremoniously dumped all the mini bankers boxes into the dumpster in the alley behind the building and threw some trash over them to hide them. When the boss asked the drivers how the customers liked the free (expired) coffee, they shrugged and said nobody really said anything.

The best part was that we originally had about a hundred mini bankers boxes, but the warehouse manager secretly threw the remainder away. For my part, I secretly threw away the remaining terrible-looking labels. Every time the boss orders in new labels to have on hand for some stupid project, I make sure to use them for something else first.

I imagine it's very much the same at CIG, except instead of an absolutely loving moronic idea like giving expired coffee to customers in ugly little boxes with gross-looking labels, it's an absolutely loving moronic idea like space Farmville, which the devs toss aside or otherwise half rear end before tossing aside--"Oh yeah, it's in the game, just how you wanted it. It didn't get much response from the public, though."

That's an awesome story, and I can't really see it being otherwise at CIG. TBF, almost every software engineer I've worked with just has a natural disdain for authority - especially "business people" who get paid to have these trite, juvenile ideas, don't have any notion of the implementation cost, and don't actually think their ideas through. Most programmers just want to solve interesting problems, but we laugh, boo, and hiss at the loving bobbleheads that think any of their ideas amount to jack or poo poo. I've worked for plenty of failed start-ups, and they're all the same. Some trust fund kid has a mediocre idea, calls in favors from their infinitely wealthy connections, and builds a team of talented-enough engineers and salespeople. The engineers and sales people work hard at hitting a moving, ill-defined target until the end of the runway gets danger close then everybody fucks off and finds a new job. Wash, rinse, repeat.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh it gets better friend. Not only will refueling be manual, it'll be done from a refueling station ON A CATWALK OUTSIDE IN SPACE.

Check out these WIP pics:

e: and there's a loving main thruster directly above you. Have fun, expendable fuel guy! :laffo:

Here's a better game with manual refueling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vetEg8J-wcw

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ewe2 posted:

There's something almost childishly innocent about this wish to have a happy universe in a multiplayer game, particularly sad from the second one who doesn't understand what multiplayer is at all, even after playing all those multiplayer games. Wasn't there a great SA thread about how people ganked in many different multiplayer games, even ones you thought were not possible to gank? I feel there's a serious educational opportunity going missing here.

Back in my rear end in a top hat heyday, I was a champion passive-aggressive ganker in PvE environment games.

Legends of Kesmai - open up portals through dungeon walls between low-level players and high-level enemies, watch enemies spill through the portal, close portal behind them and listen to death sounds through now-solid walls
Everquest - "train to zone" is far more fun if you don't announce it. Zone back over and step through fresh corpses. Take advantage of pathing problems in Blackburrow to create train over 50 gnolls - roll furball of death over all players
Ultima Online PvE Server - use bard to walk up to locked houses with animals inside - use music through walls to incite animal-on-animal violence - watch as homeowner returns to locked carebear castle containing 49 dead sheep and one highlander sheep
World of Warcraft PvE Server - turn on pvp flag, walk directly in front of enemy faction as he's attempting to right-click npc so click lands on me instead - watch as guards pummel him into paste for inciting non-consensual violence against gnomes

My memory is failing me here, but I remember there being hundreds of tricks to this. The really best tricks allowed you to stand there acting innocent while the horseman of death rode around you doing your bidding.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I wonder how the Stimperor would feel knowing they have a bit of a following here.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Surprise test.
:fuzzknot:
Nothing new to add.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 12, 2016

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Galarox posted:

Incindentally, if anyone has some suggestions for classic art/paintings or anything else I can play with/CIG-ify please suggest it. I am laid up with a back injury at the mo so I have the time! :jeb:

If you're up for something a bit more unconventional, I feel Solar Plebean is still missing an important ship concept.

The huge whale-ship. The Uberdestroyer. A massive modular monstrosity requiring a crew of 20-100 turret gunners, cargo tetris operators, and space poors to properly operate. Needless to say it should be covered in useless turrets, have lots of holes to fall out of the ship through, and not-really-optional modules that cost extra. Module options include a private sequoia forest, a massive media server rack where the individual server blades need constant changing by your teams of poors and faithless late-backers, and a gold-plated stimpire discipline chamber.

Even having one on your server should immediately force all other players out of the instance. Needless to say, the most crucial control on the bridge is the PVP Slider.

Costs $28,000,000 payable in gold krugerrands and there's a two-year waiting list.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

ewe2 posted:

Oh, that second post must be where "kinetic alphabet" came from the other day.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Gilganixon posted:

Digging that stimpire theme (actually listening to it while drawing the Stimpire page for my comic)

is good

i like your concept art too

heres some ambiance for the solar plebeian and longest version of full burn
https://soundcloud.com/dark-off/56-minutes-of-burning

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I really really wish the refueling mechanic was more than just some ideas and question marks scribbled on paper. The last I heard you were going to have to manually operate the fuel boom and hook it up with someone flying behind you, like exactly the way we do in-flight refueling now, which is INSANE.

Does Chris know he's making a game that takes place in space?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Ultima Online PvE Server - use bard to walk up to locked houses with animals inside - use music through walls to incite animal-on-animal violence - watch as homeowner returns to locked carebear castle containing 49 dead sheep and one highlander sheep

Ohh yeah that's trigging vague memories of some terrific UO ganks, it seems that one was almost made for it. I missed out on most of this fun, apart from getting telefragged in id games.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Robotic eyes with heads up displays... Dare we dream? It didn't get shot down so I am going to dream!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Problem is, that's just what they think they want. What they actually want is much deeper and far more insidious than that. These are people who feel they're standing outside the window of the world looking in, unheard, unwanted, with no tactile connection to the things they desire. In reality, it's only themselves they're disconnected from, because looking inward for meaning is scary and hard, and takes work and discipline. So they seek meaning in the castles of thought, in fantasizing about a world where they are heard, felt, and celebrated. As this fantasy begins to formalize and congeal, their emotions get entangled in it, and that's when things turn.

I have no problem with people living a fantasy life in their mind, but they rarely stop there. Because it's not real, their fantasy never fully hardens. So they go out and try to spread it to others, like a virus. If they can see their dream manifest in others, it seems more real. But it's not. A shared hallucination is still a hallucination. And this is why they attack and insult the people who shake the foundations of their delusion: Because it's only useful if they can mistake it for reality. In this way, Chris is the king of the Spergs. He believes it first and most, and is the more lost for it.

These are lost, ugly people. Frankly, I have little to no sympathy for them, because they did this to themselves through the systematic reinforcement of bad ideas. I find the only strategy is to shake their mind prisons so hard they spend all their time defending them and not enjoying them. Maybe, just maybe, they'll realize the dream isn't worth the hassle of its defense. If they have the courage, they'll let the prison of their mind dissolve, and will realize the only dream they ever had was fear, and that the real world has always been there, waiting to delight in them.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Loxbourne posted:

If you're up for something a bit more unconventional, I feel Solar Plebean is still missing an important ship concept.

The huge whale-ship. The Uberdestroyer. A massive modular monstrosity requiring a crew of 20-100 turret gunners, cargo tetris operators, and space poors to properly operate. Needless to say it should be covered in useless turrets, have lots of holes to fall out of the ship through, and not-really-optional modules that cost extra. Module options include a private sequoia forest, a massive media server rack where the individual server blades need constant changing by your teams of poors and faithless late-backers, and a gold-plated stimpire discipline chamber.

Even having one on your server should immediately force all other players out of the instance. Needless to say, the most crucial control on the bridge is the PVP Slider.

Costs $28,000,000 payable in gold krugerrands and there's a two-year waiting list.

Oh yeah, I've been kicking this idea around myself! I'm not sure what form the whale ship would take, but I already have imported a few stock assets and tried adding some ship components. There's no doubt it'll be in game, it'll be massive, useless, bug-ridden, and nothing like what people who wanted the concept expected.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dark Off posted:

i like your concept art too

heres some ambiance for the solar plebeian and longest version of full burn
https://soundcloud.com/dark-off/56-minutes-of-burning

This is awesome dude, thanks. (I got your other stuff as well, much appreesh).

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

Oh yeah, I've been kicking this idea around myself! I'm not sure what form the whale ship would take, but I already have imported a few stock assets and tried adding some ship components. There's no doubt it'll be in game, it'll be massive, useless, bug-ridden, and nothing like what people who wanted the concept expected.

Can we get biodomes on it too? Gotta have somewhere for the Chilldankli poors to work.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Samizdata posted:

Can we get biodomes on it too? Gotta have somewhere for the Chilldankli poors to work.

While we are shooting for the moon, I want Chilldankli supercollider module.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Samizdata posted:

Definitely. Will put a biodome where the blowhole is.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

aleksendr posted:

But... why ?

Any space suit designed for EVA worth something is flameproof and has to be good at temperature control. I could understand bright orange and maybe a red helmet for "Rescue 1" crew but to spend artist hours on a space firefighter helmet ? Really?

Maybe it's like those stories about Final Fantasy XIII development where they had artists that would work for months on texturing a single rock or placing barrels in a room because nobody told them to do something more important.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Toops posted:

That's an awesome story, and I can't really see it being otherwise at CIG. TBF, almost every software engineer I've worked with just has a natural disdain for authority - especially "business people" who get paid to have these trite, juvenile ideas, don't have any notion of the implementation cost, and don't actually think their ideas through. Most programmers just want to solve interesting problems, but we laugh, boo, and hiss at the loving bobbleheads that think any of their ideas amount to jack or poo poo. I've worked for plenty of failed start-ups, and they're all the same. Some trust fund kid has a mediocre idea, calls in favors from their infinitely wealthy connections, and builds a team of talented-enough engineers and salespeople. The engineers and sales people work hard at hitting a moving, ill-defined target until the end of the runway gets danger close then everybody fucks off and finds a new job. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That's probably true of most workplaces; it's certainly the same where I work now. I posted a while back that we changed our name over a year ago, and the bosses only just now got around to changing the name on the invoices. They still haven't repainted the delivery vans or updated the email addresses. Meanwhile, one boss has occasionally mentioned wanting to start a video blog on the company site (which would be incredibly embarrassing, but happily, she seems to have forgotten about it), and the other boss goes on about aforementioned K-cups, etc. It's extremely frustrating watching important stuff getting tossed to the wayside in favor of whatever idiotic gimmick they come up with that they don't actually have to work on. It smacks strongly of "Nah, we don't need to work on the engine; work on sticking a bunch of space scarves in there."

It's more than frustrating, actually—Part of my job is to track our profits, and a few months ago, on a hunch, I made a spreadsheet of all the yearly profits since the company has existed. I wasn't surprised to see that the profits have headed steadily downhill over the last five years or so. Somehow, the bosses are completely oblivious to this.

Exactly half of the office staff is currently seeking employment elsewhere. In the meantime, we're sitting back and watching in horrified delight as the bosses run their own company utterly into the ground.

:fuzzknot: (Thank you, Bootcha. I love it and you. Not necessarily in that order.)

Sedisp posted:

Does Chris know he's making a game that takes place in space?

Pfft. He's not making a game. He's making a MOVIE.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

:gary::wtchris::pgabz::lesnick::eonwe::fuzzknot: IT'S HAPPENING :fuzzknot::eonwe::lesnick::pgabz::wtchris::yarg:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pgabz - finished with the thread
fuzzknot - go gently caress yourself Karl
eonwe - shitposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah I noticed it this morning. It's a word for word copy of a post I made with a super zoomed in version of the face, so I think somebody here was nice enough to spend :10bux: on me in the dark of night.

Whoever it was, I owe them a debt of gratitude.

You are become Pleasurebot: Maid, pleasurer of Rabbitman.

Watch out for his dildo-crossbow. the arrows come pre-lovely.

• Locked thread