Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Eryxias posted:

As attached as I am to this game, I still feel no malice or anger towards any other voters on any side of our votes.
It's a game, people have a million different ways of looking at things, and just because one person deems their way is the best, doesn't always mean it's the right choice, even if half of the thread agrees.
The right choice is whatever the thread decides, because that's the game.
It's led us through an amazing journey, and that's really the end goal, to follow that journey wherever it goes, not to keep the journey going forever.

It's actually quite amazing that we've been at it for so long, we're at what? 2 1/2 years on just one story?
Crazy!

The OP is time stamped May 19, 2013 6:07 PM.

So not far from three years. If this thread was a kid it'd be walking and talking by now.

That being the case, it's not shocking so many of us have strong feelings about the characters. The only thing that's surprising is that Diog hasn't gotten totally sick of our goony shenanigans yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

B

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

FoxTerrier posted:

I feel bad for Ish. He tried to protect us, but went to far shielding us and keeping us in the dark, and much of the thread now resents him terribly for it. Even though I think he genuinely loves us and tried to do right by us.

It's sad.

Yeah, but you know what? His style of parenting didn't work for the child he was raising and he never modified it.

We, as Enkidel, ask millions of questions in order to, hopefully, when the time comes, make the right decision. We were never given the information we needed and instead actively discouraged form knowing it. Then people like Ish and the Melachim whine when we do something wrong or experiment. Tell me fire is hot before I stick my goddamned hand in it and burn myself!

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Yeah, but you know what? His style of parenting didn't work for the child he was raising and he never modified it.

We, as Enkidel, ask millions of questions in order to, hopefully, when the time comes, make the right decision. We were never given the information we needed and instead actively discouraged form knowing it. Then people like Ish and the Melachim whine when we do something wrong or experiment. Tell me fire is hot before I stick my goddamned hand in it and burn myself!

I agree, but I still find it sad.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Asahel is basically playing the game as originally planned fwiw

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Honestly I would just like to read about Ashael's adventures - without goon input. We ruin everything.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

hollylolly posted:

Honestly I would just like to read about Ashael's adventures - without goon input. We ruin everything.

I feel like goons probably would succeed best in a game where we were second in command and our main job was to provide sick burns.

Unfortunately we'd probably plan a coup after about three turns and die anyway. Oh well!

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
It also seems like ignorance is a valid way not to draw the attention of powerful demons, so their method might have done a great deal to protect us and been perfectly valid if it wasn't for our insatiable curiosity.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

hollylolly posted:

Or play one of Uriahs mighty sons in the donut, ditch home and go exploring and being mighty. Like being awesome in Ur is awesome, and some of our best moments have been delivering beatdowns to demons. I'd sign up for more adventuring, where the only stakes were our death, and not all our closest friends, and our reputation

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

[quote="B.B. Rodriguez" post="456201069"]
We were never given the information we needed and instead actively discouraged form knowing it.

Except for a few posts ago when the Queen gave us a larva that was told to teach us a lot about the world in an effort to fix our ignorance. The one that is probably about to die via demon.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

There Bias Two posted:

[quote="B.B. Rodriguez" post="456201069"]
We were never given the information we needed and instead actively discouraged form knowing it.

Except for a few posts ago when the Queen gave us a larva that was told to teach us a lot about the world in an effort to fix our ignorance. The one that is probably about to die via demon.

Yeah, and it would only tell when it got older.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I just realized something. El just means god in the old tounge. It was a source of confusion with amok. So when Uriah said the whole "behold el king of the world" thing, and we channeled power, he was unkwoingly referering to us.

The melachim are exploiting a loophole in the old tounge! They named El El, and therefore, when people call to him, it taps the nearest "god" or melachim!

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I think I'd like to switch to Asahel, but...only after. If that becomes an option then, sure.

A

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

UppaTree posted:

I dunno, Denziroh didn't have wild-rear end theories coming out've every orifice, mostly because he was allowed to experiment and had people who'd actually tell him poo poo. Pretty much ALL the knowledge Enkidel has, he has because he's broken the rules, or someone else broke them on his behalf.

True, Denziroh could make those wild-rear end theories into reality though. I agree though, Enkidel doesn't have that voice of reason with him at all times though since we're more like Narod.

A

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
A, let's see this one through to the end. I'm betting Sojenus is somewhere behind that door.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
A

Assuming we don't end the world.

I'm ready for some badassery or a new adventure.
I'm afraid that playing as our kids/grandkids may end up being more of the same, in a more vanilla flavor.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Tsyni posted:

I just don't believe Diog, A won't be the end. This from a person with emotional attachment to the game.

This. Diog has been an unreliable narrator and this sounds like a last ditch attempt to lead us astray.

Someone or something doesn't want us to know what is behind that door.

A

Edit:

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm afraid that playing as our kids/grandkids may end up being more of the same, in a more vanilla flavor.

This too. Switching to someone else will just leave us even more powerless and frustrated.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Or maybe we could play as third class cirizen, Ruth. Getting discriminated and shunned constantly by Malechim is about the same experience we have as Enkidel.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
A.

Sorry, angry IRC man.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The way I see it is that we've spent nearly three years being Og/Enkidel, why would we jump ship at the last moment and not get to see his ultimate fate?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dyzzy posted:

The way I see it is that we've spent nearly three years being Og/Enkidel, why would we jump ship at the last moment and not get to see his ultimate fate?

I guess Enkidel is secondary to some players' interest in Ur?

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

A

One of Uriahs bastards in the donut would be fun. Maybe we could journey to Kavodel and recruit Asahel for an adventure.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

John_A_Tallon posted:

L. Lefkandi!

This! mad inventor! Let's invent everything!

Nope actually. We'd just gently caress it up. Sticking with A.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 12, 2016

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

There Bias Two posted:

I guess Enkidel is secondary to some players' interest in Ur?

I respect that. Not the case for me, personally.

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
Enkidel is secondary to adventuring in Ur, character independent, for me.

And I do see now the previous vote, that if you do trust Ishamel and don't think he's deliberately holding us back / is just a different-deity version of Shushem, it makes sense in a way to vote B?.
Still, fate worse than death..but how surely are we going to die? We've survived so many near-deaths with ludicrous diog-ex-machinas that I stopped believing in the ability of the Enkidel narrative to die.

Edit: but if death is the end of the CYOA, risking any fate worse than death is worth it because that might just continue the game.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Outrail posted:

Nope actually. We'd just gently caress it up. Sticking with A.

We will be stoned to death before we can even gently caress it up. Ur isn't a good place to be an inventor.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ubern00b posted:

Still, fate worse than death..but how surely are we going to die? We've survived so many near-deaths with ludicrous diog-ex-machinas that I stopped believing in the ability of the Enkidel narrative to die.

I'm not even convinced that the bad ending and reset we got awhile back was real. Diog knows we can't be trusted with that kind of information and there has been a history in this game of dreams that appear to be reality. It seemed to heavily influence our votes for at least a few weeks.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Eryxias posted:

I think we all know what is behind that door, and it's going to make Enkidel great again.

Look, it's gonna be a HUUUUGE upset in Ur. Period. Let's be honest, this "monster" is a lightweight, we're gonna show it who is in charge.

Next, we're gonna build a wall, we're just gonna do it. No more monsters. Geeeniuuuss.

Diogines posted:

ÀAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Diog, can you edit your post to quote this? When anyone starts to read this thread it will make it visible in Diog-Only-Mode.

...because people will want to start reading this active and ongoing thread to get caught up with us.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm not even convinced that the bad ending and reset we got awhile back was real. Diog knows we can't be trusted with that kind of information and there has been a history in this game of dreams that appear to be reality. It seemed to heavily influence our votes for at least a few weeks.

Or there never was a reset and we've been living a simulation on Mt. Har all this time...and we open the door and fail the test.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

A Every time I see a bunch of new replies to this thread I expect to come in and see that we've died horribly. Let's see this through to the end.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

There Bias Two posted:

Or there never was a reset and we've been living a simulation on Mt. Har all this time...and we open the door and fail the test.
Their test about us not being a submissive good boy who refuse to choose the death of everyone and didn't ignore the soul violation that they installed?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nyaa posted:

Their test about us not being a submissive good boy who refuse to choose the death of everyone and didn't ignore the soul violation that they installed?

Why is the argument always staged in these terms? It's false. It's choosing the death of everyone here over the death of everyone! We constantly underestimate the amount of damage we're capable of completely unintentionally.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

Why is the argument always staged in these terms? It's false. It's choosing the death of everyone here over the death of everyone! We constantly underestimate the amount of damage we're capable of completely unintentionally.

I think the amount of damage we can do is pretty overhyped. We were no match for that Ox-God while in hunger demon form and Amok's children were a joke offensively.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
D let's be Shushem and fish lightning poo poo

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Slaan posted:

D let's be Shushem and fish lightning poo poo

Changing my vote from A to This.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Update ETA: Less than two hours.

And you can't pick Shushem Slaan. Asherah's feelings are hurt and he-she-it will never forgive you. He-she-it said so.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Nyaa posted:

I don't think there is any evidence that Ishamal or the Melachim installed this door. We were originally under Ashera's jurisdiction, and we didn't have any obvious signs of being a Nephelim then. This door is probably something we've been carrying our whole lives.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Let's play as Slaan, the ex-cultist who recently abandoned Asherel for uhhh... the great queen?

Jester Mcgee posted:

This door is probably something we've been carrying our whole lives.
Again, if they would bother to tell us this is Ashera's door, B will win.

Edit: I can't spell ashererateta

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 12, 2016

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Diogines posted:

Update ETA: Less than two hours.

And you can't pick Shushem Slaan. Asherah's feelings are hurt and he-she-it will never forgive you. He-she-it said so.

General question ;
In sweden there's a word for non-defined gender and that's hen, the male pronoun is han and the female is hon. Is there anything like it in the english language?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Jester Mcgee posted:

I don't think there is any evidence that Ishamal or the Melachim installed this door. We were originally under Ashera's jurisdiction, and we didn't have any obvious signs of being a Nephelim then. This door is probably something we've been carrying our whole lives.
So what your saying is, it might not be Ishamal or the Melachim or any of them who are responsible, maybe you always had it, or a demon put it there or something-?

And now you opened it?

....oops?