Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
personally I think producing more and more media makes complete sense for CIG. Basically make the smog of information as dense as possible so that bad information can be diluted. It's a form of gaslighting.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It's terrifying and kind of beautiful that we have preserved (perversed?) this maniac's fantasy and enshrined it in a place of infamy/respect? in this weird rear end thread community

The Stimperor hasn't really done anything interesting lately. I'm hoping Commander Crypt will produce something entertaining.

Edit:

Well, we know the kind of "harsh regime" Zealot has in mind

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A Neurotic Jew posted:

personally I think producing more and more media makes complete sense for CIG. Basically make the smog of information as dense as possible so that bad information can be diffused. It's a form of gaslighting.

I dont know about media but some of their communications to other news sites have all been designed to sort of flood search engines with possible hits. Like if someone goes "Oh poo poo Elite and Valkyrie look really good on VR I wonder if that SC is going to have it" and they google Star Citizen VR their first hits will be the whole "Star Citizen to refocus on VR" news site from earlier in the year. Despite there being 0 work done to actually make Star Citizen VR friendly.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ostentatious posted:

where does star citizen rank on the "immersion" scale

Ankle-deep.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

It's my hope that the last episode of the new season of X-Files is about Mulder and Scully searching for hapless gamers tapped in "THE VERSE" a space sim so immersive and incomplete that if they glitch in the game they glitch out in real life.

All the while Gillian Anderson keeps remarking on how familiar everything seems...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

personally I think producing more and more media makes complete sense for CIG. Basically make the smog of information as dense as possible so that bad information can be diluted. It's a form of gaslighting.

I'm not convinced that tactic will work given the enthusiasm of the community and the ability of social media to find and distribute interesting information.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

its true, star citizens require more immersion than your average gamer, and i'm glad they realise this

it's just a shame that they try and find it from games, rather than bathtubs

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

I got insider information that squadron 42 will be renamed into Squandered 42.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

It's nice seeing a post like this getting upvotes

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/456h02/ive_only_just_realised_how_desensitized_sc_has/czw74gd

On the other hand :stare:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/456h02/ive_only_just_realised_how_desensitized_sc_has/czwwk72

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Did backers demand an 85-piece symphony orchestra? Because that's what they're getting!

quote:

One of the 800 pages I wrote this last week and a half for #StarCitizen. Tomorrow a 85 piece symphony orchestra will perform it here in Bratislava smile emoticon
Also is the score more or fewer pages than the script?

Also why is this the Arena Commander theme when that module has been out for over year, the only part of Star Citizen that's out?

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Or is it a Stimphony Orchestra?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Dear newbies to the thread. We get you're here to hate on idiot star citizens, and dig your eagerness to mock a lovely community and a bad game. But sometimes people go overboard and say lovely things. Amongst these lovely things is hating on "batgirl" for being apparently trans. This isn't cool, and you're acting like a lovely redditor by doing so, and makes the thread look less like a comedic critique of a washed up has-been, who was given too much money, and more like a hatemongering platform for transphobic idiots.

As we've said many times before, hate the choices star citizens make, not the hand they were dealt at birth. Hating on trans folk makes you look like a moron who can't accept modern day science.

We're better than that. Don't lower yourself to reddit standards.

This was a public service announcment, please return to your regular scheduled parping.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

It's my hope that the last episode of the new season of X-Files is about Mulder and Scully searching for hapless gamers tapped in "THE VERSE" a space sim so immersive and incomplete that if they glitch in the game they glitch out in real life.

All the while Gillian Anderson keeps remarking on how familiar everything seems...

enter Sandi, the actress succubus who drains the talent from other actresses...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/456h02/ive_only_just_realised_how_desensitized_sc_has/czvzsmu

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Xaerael posted:

Dear newbies to the thread. We get you're here to hate on idiot star citizens, and dig your eagerness to mock a lovely community and a bad game. But sometimes people go overboard and say lovely things. Amongst these lovely things is hating on "batgirl" for being apparently trans. This isn't cool, and you're acting like a lovely redditor by doing so, and makes the thread look less like a comedic critique of a washed up has-been, who was given too much money, and more like a hatemongering platform for transphobic idiots.

As we've said many times before, hate the choices star citizens make, not the hand they were dealt at birth. Hating on trans folk makes you look like a moron who can't accept modern day science.

This was a public service announcment, please return to your regular scheduled parping.

gently caress. yes. time for an argument if being fat is genetic or not.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Xaerael posted:

wait barbara gordon is trans

wow, and people thought the she-thor backlash was bad

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Now that we can detect gravitational waves, you spastic twerps over there on the last page, can you detect this message coming from p1870?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

"Fly Free!" Promo + "Last Chance 2-for-1 Game Deal!" Promo = Lackluster Sales
After the split I guess we'll see a return to Full Speed Ahead on Ship Sales. Money will have to come from somewhere and it's probably not going to presales of SQ42 so time to add some more engineering debt to the ledger. They can worry about delivering on it later. Much later.

They probably know by now that nobody - except Croberts - gives a poo poo about SQ42. Especially since they haven't shown much of it anyway.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

"Fly Free!" Promo + "Last Chance 2-for-1 Game Deal!" Promo = Lackluster Sales
After the split I guess we'll see a return to Full Speed Ahead on Ship Sales. Money will have to come from somewhere and it's probably not going to presales of SQ42 so time to add some more engineering debt to the ledger. They can worry about delivering on it later. Much later.

I just checked the funding goals page. Who the gently caress gave these assholes $100K on a Friday? Seriously, am I the only one who thinks those numbers can't be real?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

Just went through a few of those. Let me make sure I understand - RSI has developed absolutely no in-game systems at all, at any level - not even a design document. But these guys have written entire manuals about precisely how things will work in a non-existent game, and are sharing their fantastic insight with the world. People will read "Interstellar Doctrine - Rules of Engagement" and internalize these rules. And goons will just ignore all that pap and just shoot the fuckers stone dead on sight, all day, every day.

Yes.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

D_Smart posted:

I just checked the funding goals page. Who the gently caress gave these assholes $100K on a Friday? Seriously, am I the only one who thinks those numbers can't be real?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Fleshlight logic. Why would you go out and MAYBE have fun for $50 when you could CERTAINLY own a jpg for $250.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Xaerael posted:

the gently caress are you on about

I keep skipipng pages but I only ever see weird posts about the shape of sandi's face that are weird

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galarox posted:

From the Stimpire Cookbook of Pain

Excruciating agony soup (serves 6)

Ingredients:
Ground glass (not too finely ground)
Iron filings
I test tube of Ebola pathogens (available from your local grocers)
2 pints silicate based lifeform blood
1 pint carbon based lifeform blood
1/2 ounce small lego bits
4 small steel ball bearings
2 ounces caltrops
3 blatella americana

Method
Plug yourself into the kitchen pain amplifier
To a large painpan add the silicate and carbon based lifeform blood & bring to the boil
In a small painbowl mix the iron filings, lego, caltrops and ground glass with your hands
Add the mixture to the pan
Drive the steel ball bearings into your eyes one at a time then add to the soup
Drink the Ebola pathogen testube. When you begin to hemorrhage add the resultant blood and mucus to the soup
Garnish with the blatella
Serve

:perfect:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Galarox posted:

From the Stimpire Cookbook of Pain

Excruciating agony soup (serves 6)

Ingredients:
Ground glass (not too finely ground)
Iron filings
I test tube of Ebola pathogens (available from your local grocers)
2 pints silicate based lifeform blood
1 pint carbon based lifeform blood
1/2 ounce small lego bits
4 small steel ball bearings
2 ounces caltrops
3 blatella americana

Method
Plug yourself into the kitchen pain amplifier
To a large painpan add the silicate and carbon based lifeform blood & bring to the boil
In a small painbowl mix the iron filings, lego, caltrops and ground glass with your hands
Add the mixture to the pan
Drive the steel ball bearings into your eyes one at a time then add to the soup
Drink the Ebola pathogen testube. When you begin to hemorrhage add the resultant blood and mucus to the soup
Garnish with the blatella
Serve

You dont go to a Masseuse in the Fourth Stimpire

You got a Massocheuse :getin:

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I have been looking all over but I cant really figure out what the gently caress this game actually is. Even in alpha...I dont understand the premise or Squadron 42 or anything.

So Squadron 42 is going AAA on its own but its only Singleplayer?

I am sorry to come in here like this but as a avid PC gamer that has heard about this game for loving ever I never really understood what it is? Is it a better EVE?

Edit-Sorry for the shitposting, I just seriously dont really understand what the game is, go easy on me frands.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Alan Smithee posted:

the gently caress are you on about

I keep skipipng pages but I only ever see weird posts about the shape of sandi's face that are weird

smellmycheese posted:

Batgirl is a trap, surely?

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Okay, that's a dude right? I mean seriously...

I was avoiding pointing fingers originally, but whatever.

Xaerael fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 13, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Alan Smithee posted:

You dont go to a Masseuse in the Fourth Stimpire

You got a Massocheuse :getin:

Acupire/Stimpuncture

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Someone did post about Batgirl's appearance after her latest video was posted to the thread, and people have commented in the past with jibes at her gender. If anyone is curious, just google her name and you'll find that she's been very open with her transition from male to female. I actually really enjoy her shows, as she has a way of asking Ben questions nobody else is willing to ask, and he has a false sense of security with her, resulting in slip-ups.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

all apologies posted:

I have been looking all over but I cant really figure out what the gently caress this game actually is. Even in alpha...I dont understand the premise or Squadron 42 or anything.

I am sorry to come in here like this but as a avid PC gamer that has heard about this game for loving ever I never really understood what it is? Is it a better EVE?

Edit-Sorry for the shitposting, I just seriously dont really understand what the game is, go easy on me frands.

You've got SQ42 down.

Star Citizen is billed as an MMO that's using the same engine. It's meant to have a bunch of solar systems you can fly to and various jobs like a mercenary or a miner or a space trucker or whatever.

It doesn't matter though because the game is a scam and never coming out.

Also this thread is very pro poo poo posts so no worries on that front.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

all apologies posted:

Squadron 42: A single-player only game about CRobberts boring vision of space war, or something, where the good humans are attacked by the evil alien bad guys and if you've seen Wing Commander than you probably know the plot of SQ42.

Is it playable? Nope. In fact, it still has nothing to show for itself and it was something initially promised which means they've had 5(?) years to work on it. Criticism against CiG and co. levelled at the fact that even gaming news groups haven't seen anything behind closed doors either is met with delusions by the faithful.

Something something "The Morrow Tour" is maybe a thing in SQ42, but its so broken and ugly that I have a hard time accepting that any of it will be kept and/or see the light of day again.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh, and they don't show anything on their livestreams or anything because SPOILERS!

Everything is spoilers

The color of the walls? Spoilers

A space combat mission where they could just cut the subtitles and talk over poo poo? Spoilers

Uhh... a cutscene that talks about absolutely nothing plot critical? Can't do that with 60 hours of footage!

A trailer (that wasn't about Gary Oldguy talking) would probably help lift spirits for those who doubt CiG, but apparently keeping silent near the "end" of development is how you generate hype. Not like those Konami idiots who kept showing off a mission in MGSV or those Bethesda losers who put out videos about Fallout 4.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Xaerael posted:

I was avoiding pointing fingers originally, but whatever.

Alternatively you could just ignore those posts like everyone else instead of looking like a crazy person yourself

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

all apologies posted:

It's cool. CIG don't know what it's supposed to be either.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

did Bishop solve Earth defenses for the Vandull by telling them they can glitch/clip right through them?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
I think it's terrifying that we're talking about the stimpire more then the guy who wrote the stimpire.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

:yikes:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

all apologies posted:

shitposts are welcome here

because that's as much as star citizen deserves

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

HapiMerchant posted:

I think it's terrifying that we're talking about the stimpire more then the guy who wrote the stimpire.

we don't know how much 'lore' he's produced at home, and if our luck holds we never will

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Wasn't CERN used in 2015 to determine whether or not our universe is actually a simulation of a universe? I don't remember hearing about the outcome of the experiment.

Maybe we're all in Star Citizen right now. Maybe this is fidelity...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

all apologies posted:

The premise is an ex-videogame maker come Hollywood failiure in exile, and his wannabe actress wife found one wierd trick to extract millions of dollars from simple minded nerds.

quote:

If AAA is now some clever anacronym for "likely to be canceled without refunds", you got it in one.

quote:

You hear about it because the fanbase is a horde of frothing idiots who put extremist religious groups to shame with their fanaticism.

If you ask any of them, I'm sure they will tell you at great length how it will be better than Eve, even though there is no evidence it will be. Ever.

quote:

It's all good man, welcome to the ride, enjoy your stay.

• Locked thread