Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So my not-quite aunt was telling me that negative thinking is what causes cancer. I mentioned her positive thinking guru who has cancer. Never a connection was made in her mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aramek posted:

It's heaven for nerds.

Will my thread now be upvoted?
Make it now, Lord, make it now.
There's a better home a-waiting
In the Cloud, Lord, in the Cloud.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Geniasis posted:

Will my thread now be upvoted?
Make it now, Lord, make it now.
There's a better home a-waiting
In the Butt, Lord, in the Butt.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I was wavering on looking up the Roko Basilisk stuff again to make fun of cyberpunk doom and gloom apocalyptic preachers, but then I realized this is the perfect thread for it. I haven't had the privilege to actually hear someone talk about this in person, but http://basilisk.neocities.org/

I wanted to find a single thing to pull out and quote, but no direct quotes quite sum up everything without being a big wall of text. Basically, some people fervently believe that if you don't help create a super-advanced AI that will cause the singularity, then that AI will torture you forever. The AI will do that not with time travel, but by using that universe-is-a-simulation idea - their thought is that if everything is perfectly simulated down to the subatomic scale, then there's no difference between the simulated you and the real you, so an infinite number of yous get to be tortured for an infinite amount of time if God the AI doesn't like you. As far as why they're not being tortured at this very second, I guess they drew the lucky straw for which instance of themselves their consciousness is in

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hallq/2014/12/rokos-basilisk-lesswrong/ seems to explain it a bit, but it gets kind of long

Side note, WOW do reddit style comment threads mesh with that color scheme and lack of whitespace to make for a completely unreadable mess, especially with such a linear topic. You'd think on a place that wants to even pretend to host serious discussions people would want to build on others' posts, but nope, gently caress it, just toss a bunch of words into the soup!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Wow, it really does improve everything.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

NLJP posted:

So my not-quite aunt was telling me that negative thinking is what causes cancer. I mentioned her positive thinking guru who has cancer. Never a connection was made in her mind.

10:1 that she said that: "He must have failed the system, the system cannot fail, the system can only be failed.", or words to that effect.

EDIT: Not to mention that if negative thinking caused cancer, the average goon would be dead at 19.

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Feb 13, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

He obviously wasn't a true Scotsman guru

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I was at a wine-tasting at vintner's once, and we were sampling wines and the lady next to me remarked to her friend "Mmm...it tastes like grapes!"

A friend of mine worked at a KFC in the inner city in high school, and he remembered people coming in and ordering "Colonel's (pronounced "kahl-uh-NELS") Chicken Strips," and "Colonial Chicken Strips."

I also once worked at an auto rental place on the outskirts of a really bad ghetto, and had a woman tell me she wanted to "rent one of them Pontiac Grand Prickses."

Count Freebasie has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Feb 13, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

I was wavering on looking up the Roko Basilisk stuff again to make fun of cyberpunk doom and gloom apocalyptic preachers, but then I realized this is the perfect thread for it. I haven't had the privilege to actually hear someone talk about this in person, but http://basilisk.neocities.org/

I wanted to find a single thing to pull out and quote, but no direct quotes quite sum up everything without being a big wall of text. Basically, some people fervently believe that if you don't help create a super-advanced AI that will cause the singularity, then that AI will torture you forever. The AI will do that not with time travel, but by using that universe-is-a-simulation idea - their thought is that if everything is perfectly simulated down to the subatomic scale, then there's no difference between the simulated you and the real you, so an infinite number of yous get to be tortured for an infinite amount of time if God the AI doesn't like you. As far as why they're not being tortured at this very second, I guess they drew the lucky straw for which instance of themselves their consciousness is in

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/hallq/2014/12/rokos-basilisk-lesswrong/ seems to explain it a bit, but it gets kind of long

Side note, WOW do reddit style comment threads mesh with that color scheme and lack of whitespace to make for a completely unreadable mess, especially with such a linear topic. You'd think on a place that wants to even pretend to host serious discussions people would want to build on others' posts, but nope, gently caress it, just toss a bunch of words into the soup!

Wouldn't doing whatever you were doing anyway indirectly be supporting/allowing for a world in which the AI is created? This God AI is a semantic rear end in a top hat

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Count Freebasie posted:

I was at a wine-tasting at vintner's once, and we were sampling wines and the lady next to me remarked to her friend "Mmm...it tastes like grapes!"

That's especially stupid because wine tastes like rotten garbage. Although I guess it's technically rotten grapes so she's kind of right.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wouldn't doing whatever you were doing anyway indirectly be supporting/allowing for a world in which the AI is created? This God AI is a semantic rear end in a top hat

The idea is if you know about the singularity but don't do everything you can to bring it about you're an enemy of the singularity god. Whereas people who don't know about it are shielded by their ignorance. Sounds like a short story by an Isaac Asimov wannabe but w/e.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I really have to wonder why a computer god would waste its CPU cycles simulating the torture of dead people.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

^^^: I think it's that the public threat of the torture is an incentive for its own [faster/better] creation or something like that

The thread-worthiness isn't in the idea itself, but those who accept it as capital-T Truth and go batshit over the present day real world ramifications

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

^^^: I think it's that the public threat of the torture is an incentive for its own [faster/better] creation or something like that
But that makes no sense if the thing already exists, when it exists. You're not going to be able to retroactively make yourself get built sooner by running a billion instances of TOENAIL_REMOVAL.JAR

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Shut up shut up shut up

SHUT

UP

about Yudkowski, Roko's Basilisk, etc. Do not debate it on its merits. Do not engage its logic. Do not attempt to prove or disprove it. We already have/had a thread that was a serious debate on Roko's Basilisk and I can't comprehend how can you unironically mock something while you are chin-deep in it

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
How is anybody in it?

Just seems like a goofy idea, akin to the ontological argument for god.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If you mean in it as in "currently under the direct control of the AI", it comes down to thinking along the lines of

It's possible to know absolutely everything about the universe (or near enough that it doesn't matter)
therefore, it's possible to simulate everything about the universe
therefore, somewhere in the infinite cosmos and time a culture will simulate everything
therefore, said culture will run many simulations of all of history to test various situations or for entertainment
therefore, there are many multiple instances of this current time period of you; one "real", many simulated
therefore, it is mathematically more likely that you are actually a simulation rather than real
therefore, X pseudo religious point is true

Also, knowing absolutely everything about everything is somehow possible even with "infinite" being a requirement for a culture to come up with a simulator

e: Also, we apparently did have this conversation in a different thread already, this should be a fun read http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653939&pagenumber=42&perpage=40#post448485639

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
We don't need an AI god to torture us; this thread is torture enough.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Strudel Man posted:

I really have to wonder why a computer god would waste its CPU cycles simulating the torture of dead people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EddX9hnhDS4

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Oil of Oregano does a good job of preventing colds.

Don't deny the power of oils just to sound cool, dweebs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strudel Man posted:

But that makes no sense if the thing already exists, when it exists. You're not going to be able to retroactively make yourself get built sooner by running a billion instances of TOENAIL_REMOVAL.JAR

They thought of that and came up with some more bullshit (called "timeless decision theory") to explain how someone in the future can make decisions that affect the past.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Practical Demon posted:

I'm used to the only people giving a poo poo about the singularity being very stereotypical white guy shut ins who never get off their computer and are convinced the day will come when technology will make them superstuds with prehensile genitals.

EDIT: Though to be fair, that is a scenario that mom should be rightfully afraid of.

Well mom also believes that soy in baby formula is why there are so many effeminate and gay men and estrogen is the water is giving dudes tits. What's great is that she's super evangelical, so they soy is satan's way of "destroying god's creation." God's creation is apparently really macho dudes, btw.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Oh and my brother thinks Ben Carson is a genius and would be a good president. Though he also helped elect Jesse Ventura, so yeah.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

hackbunny posted:

Shut up shut up shut up

SHUT

UP

about Yudkowski, Roko's Basilisk, etc. Do not debate it on its merits. Do not engage its logic. Do not attempt to prove or disprove it. We already have/had a thread that was a serious debate on Roko's Basilisk and I can't comprehend how can you unironically mock something while you are chin-deep in it

Look I'm just saying that an airplane pushes with it's propeller not with it's wheels! It doesn't matter what the wheels are doing! It's still going to fly.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

CherryCola posted:

Well mom also believes that soy in baby formula is why there are so many effeminate and gay men and estrogen is the water is giving dudes tits. What's great is that she's super evangelical, so they soy is satan's way of "destroying god's creation." God's creation is apparently really macho dudes, btw.

How does she explain lesbians and us half-lesbians?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scathach posted:

If she's anything like a lot of religious people I've known, you don't exist and women who are lesbians are just playing a selfish game of pretend

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CherryCola posted:

Oh and my brother thinks Ben Carson is a genius and would be a good president.

You can be a genius at one specific thing and completely inept and stupid about everything else. That's what Ben Carson is.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Aesop Poprock posted:

If she's anything like a lot of religious people I've known, you don't exist and women who are lesbians are just playing a selfish game of pretend

Women don't like sex, sex is something they have to reluctantly engage in to barter with their husbands for something. It's not like they actually like it.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Oh :smith:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The stupidest poo poo you've ever heard: "Don't deny the power of oils just to sound cool, dweebs"

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

That robot overlord thing sure sounds like someone unironically making Pascal's wager with ai instead of God. I know this is a thread for stupid things but holy gently caress that's so loving stupid it's blowing my mind.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Dr_Amazing posted:

Look I'm just saying that an airplane pushes with it's propeller not with it's wheels! It doesn't matter what the wheels are doing! It's still going to fly.

I have had multi hour debates about the feasibility/infeasibility of this. I'm not sure which part of that factors into the topic of this thread though, that so many people were adamant that it would not fly or that we argued about it at all.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

rodbeard posted:

That robot overlord thing sure sounds like someone unironically making Pascal's wager with ai instead of God. I know this is a thread for stupid things but holy gently caress that's so loving stupid it's blowing my mind.
Seriously. Hell's on thin ice logically even with more mainstream conceptions of god; slotting computers in there instead is just absurd.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Scathach posted:

Maybe baby formula reverses lesbification?

On that note (god there's just so much), a few years back my cousin told me that her sister was hanging out with LESBIANS. (this is in semi-bumfuck, WI) She informed me that these lesbians would actually try to convert young innocent girls into more lesbians. I couldn't help but just picture these roving bands of lesbians wandering the streets of Oshkosh like Mormons and asking people if they had heard the good news of eating pussy.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

CherryCola posted:

I couldn't help but just picture these roving bands of lesbians wandering the streets of Oshkosh like Mormons and asking people if they had heard the good news of eating pussy.
To be fair I'd much rather have these people pestering me on the weekends.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

CherryCola posted:

So God only likes bears?

God's probably some twinky looking power-bottom then.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Why else do you think Jesus is always portrayed as a pale, slender dude with flowing locks? :pervert:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why else do you think Jesus is always portrayed as a pale, slender dude with flowing locks? :pervert:

So he looks like his twink dad? And if God's gay, then it makes sense that his son was born via immaculate conception without him actually having to touch a woman. It's like...artificial insemination with Mary having a kid of a gay guy who wanted a child.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Strudel Man posted:

Just seems like a goofy idea, akin to the ontological argument for god.

Ugh, I once had a very long discussion with someone about the ontological argument. It seems to essentially boil down to something like "I define God as being absolutely perfect in every way. Existence is more perfect than non-existence, therefore God must exist, therefore God exists, therefore Christianity is true. Accept all these definitions uncritically and don't ask any pesky questions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Count Freebasie posted:

A friend of mine worked at a KFC in the inner city in high school, and he remembered people coming in and ordering "Colonel's (pronounced "kahl-uh-NELS") Chicken Strips," and "Colonial Chicken Strips."

I also once worked at an auto rental place on the outskirts of a really bad ghetto, and had a woman tell me she wanted to "rent one of them Pontiac Grand Prickses."
I work at a diner and today we were selling breakfast all day. A woman came in and wanted a "ball-gee-ann" waffle. I had to ask her to repeat herself and she peered closer at our menu and declared she wanted a "beige waffle". Eventually she gave up and told me to give her a "B-something waffle".

Blah blah "blue waffle" low hanging fruit etc.

• Locked thread