Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.

peter gabriel posted:

Stupid video incoming. I lost track of getting on the player bases nerves a bit what with all the bugs and funny glitches, so I am getting back to plan A for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmifDhOphFM

Yeah, this was great. Might be your best yet, the de-activate shields tip will prove vital in the 'universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

Did anyone get any screenshots of Sandi's 3 linkedin accounts before she deleted them?

I believe Dr. Smart has them.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Madcosby posted:

Grap dip ed, commandos

o7 right back at you

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gilganixon posted:

no comic from me today because i've been busy...

Holy fuuuuuck!!!!! I love you :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cobblers posted:

Yeah, this was great. Might be your best yet, the de-activate shields tip will prove vital in the 'universe.

It is our duty to make those bears care commando o9

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ooh. Page Western Front. Hope the next couple of pages are as action packed as their numbers would suggest from previous history.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Gilganixon posted:

no comic from me today because i've been busy

here have this

this is what I was busy with. i give you : the Stimperor

these are amazing dude.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

A Neurotic Jew posted:

these are amazing dude.

peter gabriel posted:

Holy fuuuuuck!!!!! I love you :)

I hope to be doing my bit to drive whoever cares about this kind of stuff completely insane

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gilganixon posted:

I hope to be doing my bit to drive whoever cares about this kind of stuff completely insane

I am by your side commando

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gilganixon posted:

gently caress your frames, gaze upon your Stimperor

Truly you have bestowed the greatest of gifts upon this thread. None could be worthy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Squadron 42: Already a success

The only way Squadron 42 could suck

Don't worry. Squadron 42 won't take away resources from the PU

Squadron 42 has such a great cast it won't be anywhere near a flop

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:psyduck: The game is poo poo right now, every single aspect of it sucks rear end lol

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

peter gabriel posted:

Stupid video incoming. I lost track of getting on the player bases nerves a bit what with all the bugs and funny glitches, so I am getting back to plan A for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmifDhOphFM

this music was balm for my uneasy soul thank you

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kordansk posted:

I also enjoyed The Door Into Summer.

Haven't read that thing but I do recognize the ash lake from Dark Souls.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

These have to be dev alt accounts trying to stir up sentiment for sq42

no backer wanted a single player game (until they released their lovely multiplayer)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

these people aren't smart and i'm glad of their fleecing

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Polish Avenger posted:

Godspeed then, I feel like I get a lot of false positive deja vu so my memory as to whether I saw it or thought of it is unreliable.

I mean it's just so perfect. He called it The Treachery of Images. Was he a prophet?

Appologies if it's been done before:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Galarox posted:

No idea - give me a link or something to work with and I will give it a go

Apologies because I'm assuming it was done before.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bloody hell Mirificus, how do you not go batshit-insane trawling the brown sea like you do? We need to devise some kind of "Medal of Goon" for your efforts. It must be worse than living in the Stimpire :3:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DigitalMocking posted:

So I decided to try Line of Defense.

I think the star citizen PU might be a better game.

500+ people (at peak)
5 yrs
>$108M+

vs

18 people (at peak)
5yrs
<$15M
I should bloody well hope so. But newsflash, that's not true. It's only a matter of time now. Once the next major patch and the one after hit, the entire game comes together.

FYI, you're playing a 2.5 month old version atm. And which doesn't even have aircraft unlocked. So I have no idea how you ended up making that conclusion. With a straight face. Nice try though.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 14, 2016

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Photoshop this so the farmer has a wry smile while wearing an anvil aerospace shirt except the house has been sold/bulldozed and the wife is even more frowny and instead of a pitchfork he is standing in front of a ~gaming rig~

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

500+ people
5 yrs
$108M

I should bloody well hope so. But newsflash, that's not true. It's only a matter of time now. Once the next major patch and the one after hit, the entire game comes together.

FYI, you're playing a 2.5 month old version atm. And which doesn't even have aircraft unlocked. So I have no idea how you ended up making that conclusion. With a straight face. Nice try though.

derek I've tried your game and the biggest thing I think that could keep it from being a thing is that its confusing as gently caress

there is basically nothing that explains the game in game, just a knowledgebase on a website

so i hope that will one day be fixed

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Derek you should buy the thread a "Two Weeks" smilie. It'd cut down on the amount of time you have to spend writing posts.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

derek i've just completed a mighty bastard of a task and the reward i've given myself for doing that is buying LoD

don't let me down

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Have to go to sleep now, but will American gothic tomorrow - have a truly warped idea of how to do it too :a2m:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Eonwe posted:

derek I've tried your game and the biggest thing I think that could keep it from being a thing is that its confusing as gently caress

there is basically nothing that explains the game in game, just a knowledgebase on a website

so i hope that will one day be fixed

Sorry, but I don't know how you missed the game docs, quick help, key commands - all built into the game.

Also, the quick help (recently update to reflect the aircraft and other unlocks in the .07 build in testing) pretty much tells you everything you need to know. Without ever reading the manual.

Let me know what you missed so that I can better understand it; because even though it's in development, I try to keep the docs up to date because I realize that it's a massive game and it needs to be accessible at launch.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

D_Smart posted:

Sorry, but I don't know how you missed the game docs, quick help, key commands - all built into the game.

Also, the quick help (recently update to reflect the aircraft and other unlocks in the .07 build in testing) pretty much tells you everything you need to know. Without ever reading the manual.

Let me know what you missed so that I can better understand it; because even though it's in development, I try to keep the docs up to date because I realize that it's a massive game and it needs to be accessible at launch.

Derek I saw a video you posted of your game, the one where the guy bails out of a shuttle or something. Flight model looked worse than the horrible poo poo in Star Citizen. I didn't think it would be possible, but here we are.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

new to this, but my favorite part of the star citizen community is how some say backers do not have the right to criticize the game they put money towards

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Galarox posted:

Have to go to sleep now, but will American gothic tomorrow - have a truly warped idea of how to do it too :a2m:

Thanks, goon speed commando o9

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

D_Smart posted:

500+ people (at peak)
5 yrs
>$108M+

vs

18 people (at peak)
5yrs
<$15M

good luck with your game!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gilganixon posted:

derek i've just completed a mighty bastard of a task and the reward i've given myself for doing that is buying LoD

don't let me down

Outstanding!!

If you are technically inclined and don't mind the work, you should grab the MASSIVE .07 update that's currently in testing on our dev staging server. More info here http://lodmmo.com/changelog/

When it's released and had burned-in for a week or so, I'm giving every loving Goon who asks for one, a free key. One of my main objectives is to cram 256 people (a single scene limit) in a single scene in one test later this month.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Galarox posted:

Bloody hell Mirificus, how do you not go batshit-insane trawling the brown sea like you do? We need to devise some kind of "Medal of Goon" for your efforts. It must be worse than living in the Stimpire :3:

Cognitive dissonance kind of fascinates me and Star Citizens are a seemingly limitless source. Liberal use of skimming and being a fast reader helps. Even I have my limits though and some posts make my eyes just glaze over.

I like your art too. The Raft of the Medusa was quite a way to introduce yourself to the thread :)

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Galarox posted:

And God created PaaaaarP!

It... It's BEAUTIFUL!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

starkebn posted:

Derek I saw a video you posted of your game, the one where the guy bails out of a shuttle or something. Flight model looked worse than the horrible poo poo in Star Citizen. I didn't think it would be possible, but here we are.

1) That was some guy making videos of the upcoming .07 build currently on our testing server

2) The flight model is a) simplistic b) undergoing tweaks to suit *this* game

3) The game was never billed as a "sim"; so I'm not shooting for "fidelity" in the flight dynamics

4) I've been writing flight dynamics engine for decades; so I'm not new at this. Here is a sample of my work in a game from 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teR46d0hsk8

And I posted this video today. It's a clip from another engagement in another game (also from 2009)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EatDs9Q-WYM

The above flight model is highly complex, takes a bit of learning. And I do NOT want that in LOD. That's why I'm not using it.

As I mentioned in the changelog (from the .07 build currently in testing and which that guy was playing to test the aircraft)

quote:

DYNAMICS AND CAPABILITIES

NOTE: The flight dynamics modeling is always subject to review, tweaks and revisions as things progress. The goal is not to match the fidelity of our previous flight engines. This is a totally different kind of game, that uses a totally different engine. If you want fidelity, go play any of our previous games, e.g. Angle Of Attack.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Galarox posted:

counterpoint: the stimpire is actually loving awesome once you get used to having your genitals sawn off and replaced with nanobots who eat your skeleton but make you live forever. You don't sleep so you get a lot done

D_Smart posted:

Outstanding!!

If you are technically inclined and don't mind the work, you should grab the MASSIVE .07 update that's currently in testing on our dev staging server. More info here http://lodmmo.com/changelog/

When it's released and had burned-in for a week or so, I'm giving every loving Goon who asks for one, a free key. One of my main objectives is to cram 256 people (a single scene limit) in a single scene in one test later this month.

Regrettably I'm not particularly good with tech but i don't mind killing myself with work

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

D_Smart posted:

I just checked the funding goals page. Who the gently caress gave these assholes $100K on a Friday? Seriously, am I the only one who thinks those numbers can't be real?

I agree, now more than ever. Full disclosure I tried to get Derek to tell me what he and Eightace are sitting on via PM but he didn't budge. Repeating PMs publicly is bad form (unless it's really funny) but he basically just repeated what they've said in the thread: that there is another even worse reveal coming and it's really big and really bad. Like, 11 out of 10.

It made me think....

The current assumption in the thread is this -

Xaerael posted:

The premise is an ex-videogame maker come Hollywood failiure in exile, and his wannabe actress wife found one wierd trick to extract millions of dollars from simple minded nerds.
What could be worse than that? What horrible truth could exceed a delusional manchild squandering $100m of the public's money on a bugged-out Cryengine mod and a lovely mocap movie? In the spirit of wild speculation I propose the following:

The numbers are even more not-real than we all believe. Sandi and the Fat Team are obvious red herrings meant to distract attention, but so is Chris. While he does believe that he's getting over on everyone, he himself is also a patsy. The real villain is none other than sleazeball attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. All the cash comes in through Ortwin's company. Once the crowdfunded income started skyrocketing his eyes turned into twin money bags and he sent word to his Swedish mafia friends concerning an incredible money laundering opportunity. CiG did receive $100m+, but the majority of it was delivered in large bags with 'kr' crossed out and replaced by '$$$.'

The brown 'sea' is a large brown puddle shot like this:

When it's actually this:

Suddenly, every strange thing about SC makes sense. The byzantine tangle of companies isn't meant to hide funds from lawsuits; it's meant to hide dirty money from the Feds. Over a million people supposedly have $45+ personal investment in SC yet their official videos and twitch streams get less traffic than average My Little Pony fanshit because most of the backers don't exist.

Ortwin: "That kickstarter went great. I bet if the company's site had a donate link and lots of ships to buy, you'd make enough to build the greatest game ever."

Chris: "Wow really? Let's do that!"

--SIX MONTHS LATER--

Chris"How much money did we make this month uncle Ortwin?

Ortwin: "Six - no, seven million! People really love those idrises.... Now run along and play with your mocap jammies *pat-pat*

Chris: "Yaaayyyy!!"

Ortwin:

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: If the above is remotely correct, Star Citizen is ultimately the story of a slimy shyster bilking a failed has-been into being the public face of the largest money laundering scam in video game history on behalf of Swedish organized crime. :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Outstanding!!

is that 256 players, plus NPCs, vehicles, etc?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm excited to see what happens when you get 256 goons together in one server, Derek.

e: You should livestream it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

nice fan fic goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Skellybones posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
Outstanding!!

is that 256 players, plus NPCs, vehicles, etc?

Yes.

The network engine only has an arbitrary limit that I impose for gameplay reasons. That limit is restricted only to *player* clients (256 per scene).

quote:

The game world is currently locked to support 256 players per scene. When a scene is full, access to it is prohibited.

There are currently a total of thirteen (4 planetary bases, 4 space regions, 4 stations, 1 carrier) scenes.

So a full server cluster can have up to 3328 clients online at any given time. Once that number is reached, additional clients will be unable to connect, and must join another server manually, or wait to be auto-joined to a free server.

Though the engine is capable of supporting a larger number (e.g. could be 2048 if we wanted) of clients, we picked 256 clients per scene based on the server config, as well as the need to keep performance in check. We do intend to increase these numbers once the game has been optimized and is approaching final release.

The novelty of 2000+ people fighting a battle, is just that, a novelty. It tends to wear off once the initial adrenaline rush is over and people are complaining about performance issues.

Also, as we are planning to have player built bases (aka player housing), keeping the client numbers in check, also benefits the performance.

The other reason for doing it this way is because the game engine can support both a standard MMO server cluster model, as well as a standard player hosted client-server model in which players can host their own servers which can then be joined via a server browser. This allows players to either host a server and also play as client, or host a dedicated server. If the game ever makes it to a console as planned, the latter is how we would probably do it since it’s cheaper and easier.

• Locked thread