Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

There Bias Two posted:

Why? Enkidel is probably the last person I'd trust with godhood.

That's ... it's ... I mean, that's what Gates of Divinity are for, I thought. :confused: To let the divinity in. It's just their job. Why they need to be held.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

TheCog posted:

How was it not a real choice? (Not from the point of view of the thread, but from Ish's point of view, who doesn't know we're a bunch of goons piloting Enki)

No seriously, what alternative did the melachim have? Let us become a hunger demon doing something like arm-wrestling Tudya?

What choices do we have now that we didn't before? Oh other than not being allowed to see the people and friends we love because we're incapable of following one simple instruction and too hardheaded to accept defeat.

You really think telling some kid that he has the choice to either "live as a man with all your friends and family" or to go wander the wilderness alone forever (with an incomplete and insufficient knowledge of the situation he is in) is an exercise in free will? I can't see it that way.

Being a man is pointless and self-defeating. Ur is rotting away because men, Mighty or not, don't have what it takes to defend themselves, let alone destroy the great demons and their works. We do. The Melachim could have told us everything, could have trained us to become Ur's sword and shield. Instead, they tell us nothing, and they do nothing while Ur slowly collapses. We have the power, and we have the chance to be the protector humanity deserves, not just another Mighty Man. We haven't always gone about it in the best way, but that might have been avoided if anyone had ever bothered to tell us anything.

TheCog posted:

EDIT: I know I come off as angry and combative, and I apologize for that, I'm legitimately trying to see where people are coming from. The thread suffers from having this weird disconnect where we all see things so differently, but all so clearly, and I'd like to be able to understand *why*. I'm really not trying to be a dick.

It's cool, man. Honestly, I'm trying to see the same thing.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 14, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

TheCog posted:

How was it not a real choice? (Not from the point of view of the thread, but from Ish's point of view, who doesn't know we're a bunch of goons piloting Enki)

No seriously, what alternative did the melachim have? Let us become a hunger demon doing something like arm-wrestling Tudya?

What choices do we have now that we didn't before? Oh other than not being allowed to see the people and friends we love because we're incapable of following one simple instruction and too hardheaded to accept defeat.

EDIT: I know I come off as angry and combative, and I apologize for that, I'm legitimately trying to see where people are coming from. The thread suffers from having this weird disconnect where we all see things so differently, but all so clearly, and I'd like to be able to understand *why*. I'm really not trying to be a dick.

We only truly learned about becoming a Hunger Demon in the alternate timeline. OG Asahel stopped us from becoming one, but we still didn't know what was up. We almost became one during a goddamned foot race. all we got told was to not do that again. If we had been told then about our heritage and why it's such a big deal not to push ourselves, our choices would have been much different later. Maybe we don't even meet the real Asahel.

I'm going to give an example from my own life because this thread has actually helped me be a better parent and communicate with my son. My son is 10. He asks questions of the volume and complexity that Tomn does. I used to give non-answers and 'I tell you when you're older'. All that did was make him search for his own answers on the Internet because that was a source he found would tell him answers. He now knows things he clearly couldn't handle and has seen things he wasn't ready for because I wasn't willing to explain them. When my kid asks me about Daesh and why we can't visit family and friends in that part of the world, it's better to give an answer he can use like, 'We can't go there because groups of people are fighting over religious ideology and we could be caught in the middle even though we are not involved', instead of 'Because I said so', or 'I'll tell you when your're older'.

Basically, I'm mad at Ish and the people telling him what to do because their way of dealing with us was the wrong way to deal with an inquisitive, intelligent, incredibly powerful child.

edit: I'm not mad or anything, I'm just trying to show you and others where my opinion on this and Enkidel are coming from.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 14, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We only truly learned about becoming a Hunger Demon in the alternate timeline. OG Asahel stopped us from becoming one, but we still didn't know what was up. We almost became one during a goddamned foot race. all we got told was to not do that again. If we had been told then about our heritage and why it's such a big deal not to push ourselves, our choices would have been much different later. Maybe we don't even meet the real Asahel.

I'm going to give an example from my own life because this thread has actually helped me be a better parent and communicate with my son. My son is 10. He asks questions of the volume and complexity that Tomn does. I used to give non-answers and 'I tell you when you're older'. All that did was make him search for his own answers on the Internet because that was a source he found would tell him answers. He now knows things he clearly couldn't handle and has seen things he wasn't ready for because I wasn't willing to explain them. When my kid asks me about Daesh and why we can't visit family and friends in that part of the world, it's better to give an answer he can use like, 'We can't go there because groups of people are fighting over religious ideology and we could be caught in the middle even though we are not involved', instead of 'Because I said so', or 'I'll tell you when your're older'.

Basically, I'm mad at Ish and the people telling him what to do because their way of dealing with us was the wrong way to deal with an inquisitive, intelligent, incredibly powerful child.

edit: I'm not mad or anything, I'm just trying to show you and others where my opinion on this and Enkidel are coming from.

Listen guy, sometimes my dog looks at me like, "Where are my treats? I need to know where they are, please give them to me." I know I can't just give her the treats or she'll never stop asking for treats, so I tell her I will show her the treats later, when she's not whining. And that's how the game works.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tsyni posted:

Listen guy, sometimes my dog looks at me like, "Where are my treats? I need to know where they are, please give them to me." I know I can't just give her the treats or she'll never stop asking for treats, so I tell her I will show her the treats later, when she's not whining. And that's how the game works.

Now pretend your dog has magic powers and knows there are treats somewhere in the house. I hope you have good insurance.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pause game, hit contrl-shift-c

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

Now pretend your dog has magic powers and knows there are treats somewhere in the house. I hope you have good insurance.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Diogines posted:

Something is going to be posted in about 25 minutes an hour and a half.

Lies!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You have reached a fail-state. The adventures of Enkidel are over.

Thank you for playing.

Wait. WHAT? WHAT!? What do you MEAN its over!? What THE HELL HAPPENED!?! This has been asked by many goon after this post, surely. For mercy sake, I will answer several questions I anticipate are going to come up.

Q: Did Enkidel Die?
A: You don't know.

Q: What option won the last vote?

Q: Did ANY option win the last vote? Did it even matter?

Q: Did any of them work?

Q: No, seriously. WHAT THE gently caress!? What happened to Enkidel!?

Q: Did the demon eat him?

Q: What the hell do you MEAN we don't know!? Tell us what happened!
A: All information you obtain is from Enkidel's perspective. That perspective is either no longer able to gain information or no longer exists to gain information. He may be dead. He may be demon-chow. He may be mind-wiped. He may be a prisoner in a way which stops him from gaining new information. His mind may be irrevocably different such that he can no longer make choices such as you have voted for. He may be irrevocably insane. He may be suffering endlessly in which case his "perspective" is not a meaningful one either. He may be a truly mindless hunger-demon in which case his perspective no longer exists. Perhaps he ascended and left the world? Or maybe something else. Those are some possibilities. They may not be the truth. Who can know?

Q: And our Balls? The Gebebans? Did anyone get anyway?

Q: What... what about... Snarls?
A: Though it pains me to say this... you don't know. And I am really sorry about that one folks.

Q: Diogenes. Are you loving kidding me?
A: I am sorry about that one also, but I am not.

Q: Do we get answers to any of our questions about the game or the world of Ur or the mysteries of Enkidel's life or adventures?
A: You do not.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

One of our players made a wiki about the game: http://sa-diogines.wikia.com/wiki/Paradise_Lost_CYOA_Wiki It has various bits of information, some of it is spot on, other bits are very wrong. If you find it difficult to keep track of the growing number of names and places in our game, the wiki has a good list.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 14, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wowzers.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Diogines posted:

You have reached a fail-state. The adventures of Enkidel are over.

edit: I don't believe you.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Well. That was a game.

Thanks everybody. Its been a wild ride.

No offense Diog, but if this is truly how it all ends, then I'm afraid I can't play your next game.

I was way too invested in this to have it end like this.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
:snoop:

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I blame everyone who voted for the poo poo bow and not team Bam Bam

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Diogines posted:

Q: What... what about... Snarls?
A: Though it pains me to say this... you don't know. And I am really sorry about that one folks.

Can you at least lie to us and tell us he's happy on a farm somewhere? :smithcloud:

edit: And yeah, thank you for the years of fun. It's been a really good ride.

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 14, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, Diog.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Good game. Will be there for the next one.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Wait, if everything is from Enkidel perspective, how do we know we have reached the end state or ended if we don't know about it? Who is telling us that this is the end state? Why are we still getting the "You don't know." answer?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Welp. I'm not even really sure how to respond to this. Was fun while it lasted, though!

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Thank you Diog.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Good game folks

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Thanks to everyone who voted and argued with me and fought and struggled.

Thanks to diog, for putting all this work in and dealing with the goonsensus.

We put up a good game.

I'm out. I'd appreciate a PM if the state changes, otherwise I'm unsubbing. This ending is not fair. Its not the ending we deserve. I understand why its the ending we got, especially considering the themes of the game, but its not fair, to any of the participants in the thread.

Night all, its been fun.

EDIT: Its not fair, and I'd like to register my supreme unhappiness with it. Like gently caress everything, we at least need to know how it ends.

TheCog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 14, 2016

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
Real glad we opened that door. Worked out real well for everyone involved.

Thanks for the game, Diogines. A real shame we sucked so bad at it.

:byewhore:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We'll Meet Again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFkryh6hC-k

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

rawr im a dragon

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Diog this was a great game and even though I'm like really sad right now I think it's a testament to your amazing writing and world building.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Thank you Diog! It was a hell of a ride and I had a lot of fun!

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Good game guys, been fun.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I wasn't part of it for long, comparatively, but I had a blast while I was and both your writing and picture-finding skills are amazing, Diog.

Great game, everyone.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Welp. GG. No Re.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRn9chmRAY
Let Mighty Men note in triumph float
And Labaras extend his mighty hand
A club appears ‘mid thunderous cheers,
The banner of the Western Ur.
The emblem of the brave and true
Its grooves protect no tyrant crew;
The red and brown and vibrant hue
Is Enkidel’s shield and hope.
Other cities may deem their bows the best
And cheer them with fervid elation
But the club of the North and South and West
Is the club of clubs, the club of Zepa’s nation.

Hurrah for the club of the free!
May it swing as our standard forever,
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let Asherah remember the day
When our father(?) with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
That by their might and by their right
It swings forever.

Let Ophanim shriek from lofty peak
The never-ending watchers of our land;
Let summer breeze waft through fruit trees
The echo of the chorus grand.
Swing out for knowledge and light,
Swing out for Paebro and the right.
Swing out for The Club and its might,
O Mighty Men and sons.
Other cities may deem their bows the best
And cheer them with fervid elation
But the club of the North and South and West
Is the club of clubs, the club of Zepa’s nation.

Hurrah for the club of the free!
May it swing as our standard forever,
The gem of the land and the sea,
The banner of the right.
Let Asherah remember the day
When our father(?) with mighty endeavor
Proclaimed as they marched to the fray
That by their might and by their right
It swings forever!

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Huh, well drat.

If his consciousness became too expanded to be coherent though, like it maybe seemed, I can't say it's out of line with what we chose. I wonder if that door is something Nephilim regularly have? Couldn't be though, then they'd all just open it at the end to avoid to hunger-state. If it is though, I bet it would have been nice to grow up with other Nephilim who could tell you about it. Goodnight theory craft.

Thanks Diog. Had a great time.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.
So......dragon game?

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

It was a great game.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Thanks for the great game Diog, not sure how you kept it going for this long.

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote
Do we learn anything about the real timeline (when Enkidel was to be taken up the mountain?) I think you said you would revisit it.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Not so much a 'fate worse than death' as a fate that just was death, really, at least as far as people actually mean the term.

Take that Ish.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I might finally be able to catch up now :v: Ideally, I would like to pick your brain a bit about the game world, get an epilogue or some such. Being god is fun, but let's smite some mortals :v:

That said, since everyone will be feeling the lack of a CYOA:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657951 Rogue Trader 40k. Mine.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3760179 Rogue Trader 40k. Beer's.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3202242 Imperial Guard 40k. Tias'
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738085 Mutants - Holly's.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751594 Sundown Run - dog kisser
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743225 Grocery Store - Dammerung
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759176 Wander - Music Theory.

Lots to choose from :D

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Well that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You live in a house with your Mama and Papa and Ruth and Snuls, the VERY best dog in the world!

Your name is Asahel. You love your Mama and Papa and Ruth and Snuls very much! And all of them are special! And so are you! Snuls is so big you can ride on his back and he always keeps you safe and loves to play! And your Papa is a hero just like the heroes in the stories he and Granma and Ishamal tell you! Except he is not a hero THAT big yet! But everyone in Zepath says he will be one day! And you too! You are only a little kid now but you are stronger than other kids and one day your going to grow up BIG and STRONG and slay all the monsters and go EVERYWHERE! Just like your Papa!

Right now you are playing with Snuls and your big sister Ruth in the garden. "Please Enkidel, come back safe" you hear your mother say inside the house. She sounds upset, whats wrong? Your Papa comes outside wearing his armor and has his weapons and traveling pack. "Papa? Where are you going? Whats wrong?" Ruth asks. He tells you "I'm going to Ibleam. I had a vision... but don't worry sweetling, i'll be back soon." Your father goes down to a knee and even then has to lean over because he is so tall! He holds out your arms and you both hug him. When he lets you go you ask "Are you going to kill monsters papa?" He ruffles your hair and with a smile says "All of them, don't worry, i'll be back soon."

Its almost like the stories! And a vision? Just like in the stories! Your father is a true hero and now is off to fight monsters for El! You are not afraid at all, your father is a true hero and will be back soon. He always beats the monsters and he always will!

[...]

BARKOF! You heard people talking, they caught one of Barkof's men! That Zepathan bandit who has killed some of your people and robbed and enslaved others! Finally! You rush to the palace, your father is probably putting him on trial now! That coward! Barkof would never DARE to face your MIGHTY father Ahaz! He is the strongest man in the world! You run to the palace as quickly as you can and your father's guards part to make way!

What luck!

You arrive at the throne room and it looks like your father has not arrived yet, but you see your two older brothers! They are not so great as your father but they are both Mighty Men and one day one of them will be king! No one is sure who will be the next king yet and your brothers are always trying to one up each other to show your father who is best! They are both here now, standing opposite your father's throne. They are wearing their armor and stand beside the prisoner. But... the prisoner isn't in chains? And he still his his spear! And his armor! What is going on!?

Your father arrived soon after. It turned out that the man was not with Barkof, but a lackey of the Cannibal of Zepath. He told your father that "An army of demons marches upon Ibleam from the south oh King, my brothers harry them along the way now but they will be here within days. You must make ready for war."

Your brothers urged your father to kill him and said it was a trick. But it looks like your father believed the cannibal-lackey? He placed a call to war! Everyone in the city got their spears and armor! A few days passed and your father waited at the front of Ibleam's army beyond the walls. You were not afraid, you were excited! Of COURSE your father would win! He is the strongest man in the world!

But your mother wouldn't let you watch from the city walls with your friends, instead you had to wait in the palace.

The city is burning. Your home is burning. You don't know what happened to your father but one of the guards said he is dead and demons are about to enter the city! You were going to the temple with your mother! El will protect you there she said! But... but the streets are in chaos and you were separated from your mother! You made it to the temple carrying your baby brother Ahaz but... but your mother isn't here. You waited and waited but she did not come. Lots of people are in the temple now and everyone is praying to El to save them or crying or cursing El...

"Fare! Fare! Fare Ha Melakaht Mokt!
Fare Gadol! Fare Zabol! Fare Ha Melakaht Mokt!
Fare! Fare! Fare Ha...
"

You hear the demons... they are chanting and the ground shakes as they march in unison. In your arms your baby brother begins to cry. Your father once told you "A heart full of El is stronger than any monster or demon". But your father is not here and... and the demons. They are coming for you... there is no one left to save you. "EL HAS ABANDONED US!" a terrified man cries out as women around you sob.

[...]

You are always bored at home. Other boys don't like to play with you. You are too young to know it, but that has more to do with their parents, than with their children. Tudiya is not a young man and in his long life he has only ever fathered one child. If any harm should come to that boy in a playful scuffle, not even El would save their parents from their beloved king's wrath. You don't know these things. You only know that you only ever get to play with your sisters or slaves. You are bored a lot. And you get in trouble a lot because you are bored.

But your dad! Your dad is SO cool! Your dad is the strongest and best fighter in the WHOLE WORLD! And he took you on an ADVENTURE! He went EXPLORING and he took you along! He just killed some giant lizard monsters and you saw him do it! You were not afraid! That was awesome and you knew he'd win! And! And! He found you a friend! A real friend! His name is Enkidel and when you grow up to be like Labaras he is going to be like Enkidu! He does not know how to talk but that is okay because you are going to teach him! You'll teach him everything and the two of you will be BEST FRIENDS FOREVER!

[...]

You turned 16 a few days ago. Your name is Judah, you are the son of Mattathias who is one of the Mighty Men of the great city of Tadmor. Your grandfather is Joram, king of Tadmor. You are not in line for the throne, not really, you have several older brothers and many cousins.

Joram is of course your grandfather and you have no reason at all to doubt it. Yet your aged and ancient grandfather does not sit easily upon his throne. Sixteen years ago the city of Harmath besieged your city with the aid of several of your neighbors. Many strange and fantastical things are said of the battle. It is said by some that the Melachim appeared and fought alongside the men of Tadmor and helped them to hold the walls. Perhaps the most ridiculous of the stories is that the hero Enkidu returned on the very eve of battle, descending from the top Mount Har to pass judgment upon the Harmathans in El's name, declaring their doom if they did not abandon their siege. It is a tale believed by many and there are many in the city who claim that they saw a dark skinned giant helping to fight fires and lifting broken buildings to rescue people trapped in the rubble. If such fanciful tales can possibly be true... who can say?

The war was great and terrible. That much was true. Nearly all of your uncles died in the battle, almost an entire generation of men were wiped out including most of the Blooded men in your city. After he won the war, your grandfather conquered all of his neighbors and put an end to serfdom. He called the jubilee early and freed every slave in the land, declaring that "El made men to be free." No matter what people believe about the war, everyone in Harmath believes that El is on their side and the city is more pious now than ever. Your grandfather is great and powerful... but he is old. And he is only one man. He has married his daughters to the youngest sons of the kings he slew in the war but many fear war will one day come again. Your grandfather is a very busy man and always has much to do. Still, you are your grandfather's favorite and even your father favors you over all of your older brothers. You are tall, beautiful and strong, greatly more so than any man... than any other boy of your age should be. All you try to do you excel at. Great things are expected of you. Your grandfather has left the city with only you, you are in the wilderness now and your grandfather did not tell you why. As you make camp for the evening you look across the fire and ask "Grandfather, where are we going?" He says to you "Judah, when my grandfather was a boy, he was brought out into the wilderness by his father. And these are the words that were said to him. In... in the beginning..."

[...]

"Adina!" Lefkandi says to you "We did it! We did it! I can't believe we did it!" You did, didn't you? You just finished milling your first bushel of grain. You were supposed to wait until Enkidel got back... but you wanted to show it to him as a surprise when he got home. Gareb didn't think it was a good idea but Jobe helped to keep the farmers calm. Besides, you didn't really have anything to worry about. Not really. Lefkandi was convinced that angry millers were going to burn the drat thing down and string him up but you convinced him it would be fine, saying to him "My friend, this is Kavodel, these are a new people, with new minds, ready for a new time. This is... this is only the first thing we shall make. You will see! We will make wonders!"

It is a time of great prosperity in Kavodel and you, Adina, the son of a common smith look forward to a bright future.

[...]

You are Simeon, grandson of Benhagog, King of Aphik. He has many grandsons. You will never be king. That is not simply because there are many other in line before you, for indeed there are. The reason you will never be king is because the once great city of Aphik will never have another king. The enemies of your people have aligned together and overwhelmed you and even now, the city burns. You are a sergeant in the army of Aphik and command the southwest tower. The other towers have fallen, yours yet remains. You and your men have made a wall of corpses in front of the door and struck down a hundred men or more who have tried to storm it. Yet tens of thousands more remain. You are doomed. The city is fallen and only death awaits you. Let it come and TRY to claim you! You will slice it's throat and poo poo down its neck!

[...]

You are Jobe. Once you were the last born child of a Zepathan Houseman. With no claim to any inheritance and your father unwilling to apprentice you over your many other brothers, you joined the priesthood. When you were still an acolyte you joined Enkidel for many of his adventures and provided spiritual guidance to the Balls of Labaras. And well, you are a heretic. There really is no two ways about it. You spent too many long nights over the years drinking with your friend Paebel and discussing philosophy to not become one. Though not the same sort as Paebel, El preserve you no! You'd never worship the Melachim! Paebel is right to say that El is not the god others imagine him to be... god would not be cruel. That does not mean there IS no El, Paebel is so wrong about that! It only means that Paebel is WRONG about El! You are dead sure that large portions of the Old Tales were made up by men are and that the rules of your civilization are really messed up! You better not let your boss Zebanetha, the High Priest of Zepath find out! Well, he won't find out. You run the Shrine of El in Kavodel and minister to this growing city. Your flock is diverse and you help to keep the peace between people from many places. Zebanetha is pleased with your efforts and praises the peace you have helped to keep, you played a critical role in ensuring men from different cities gave up their old identities and became Zepathans. Or rather... Kavodelans? You are no Mighty Man and you never will be, yet you can probably out-wrestle most Zepathan House-Men and you have joined Enkidel on many adventures. But not this one. He has gone in search of the land of the giants and you remain behind. He has been gone... a long time. Some days you worry. What will happen to the peaceful and prosperous city of Kavodel if he does not return?

1. Pick one.

PLEASE READ ALL OF THEM AND THEN THE DISCLAIMER AND SPECIAL NOTES AT THE END BEFORE SELECTING ONE. THANK YOU!

A. You are Asahel, son of the famed adventurer and hero Enkidel. Your mind is sharp, your tongue clever and your body strong. There is so much wrong with the world and one day... one day you and your father are going to put it all to right. There are many mysteries and one day you will discover the answers to them all! One day you will be a hero as great as your father, perhaps even greater! If you can survive this demon that is. The demon which is currently eating a crowd of women and sent you soaring through the air like an El drat bird. It seems impervious to all efforts to harm it... you are pretty much hosed! Are you clever enough to get out of this mess alive or El help you somehow grasp victory?

B. You are David, son Ahaz, King of Ibleam. Yet you have two fathers and the man who raised you was Enkidel of Zepath. You dream of adventure and glory upon the field of battle. Like your brother Asahel your mind is open, ready to reject the old and embrace the new but unlike him, you do not doubt El. El has smiled greatly upon you and your family and you will win glories for his name upon the field of battle. You dream of one day avenging Ibleam and making war upon the Bnaimokt in their own lands. Yet such a war is distant... you are tumbling through the air at this moment after an enormous demon threw you aside as if you were a toy. Will valor and courage win this day as it has prevailed over every foe the Balls of Labaras have faced?

C. You are Danal, son of Tudiya, King of Zepath. You are one of Zepath's Mighty Men now, though you leave home often. You follow in the footsteps of your famous brother Enkidel and lead a band of your own men, the Shaft's of Zepa. You may not be as great as your brother but you have claimed your rightful place among the Mighty Men of Zepa. Hey, not everyone can talk with the Melachim, you've come to accept that your brother was meant for greater things than you. With your father's blessing you and your Shafts often patrol the countryside of Gezer, Kitron, Dor, Megido and Acco and at times you have been your father's envoy to these places. You have slain many monsters. You have even fought the Bnaimokt in the wilderness near Acco! Right now your brother is off on a grand adventure, but you have adventures of your own...

D. You are Judah, son of Matthias, a prince of Tadmor. Or so you believe. The name Uriah means nothing to you, you have never met such a man and surely never will. You far excel over all of the men of your generation and in all you seek to do you achieve excellence. You have just turned 16. Your grandfather Joram has lead you off into the wilderness. He told you it is called a "Manhood trial", a thing once done long ago and that "A thing we will do again. El has been gracious to us and will not fail in showing our devotion to him." The world lay large before you and you must obtain an offering "worthy of El". Where do you go? To the neighboring cities of questionable loyalty to your grandfather? To more distant wilderness? Where will you go to find an offering worthy of El?

E. You are Adina. A man of common birth and a smith. Yet you are strong and powerful, your mind keen and cunning. Many in Zepath have a well Blooded ancestor and it seems that such Bloodedness has been found again in you. The works of your your forge far exceeds the mastery a man your age should reasonably expect to achieve(let alone one of your low birth!). Working with your friend the potter Lefkandi, you are about to reveal to the public a device you call a "water wheel", with it you will use the strength of the river to grind grain. But you have other ideas. Larger ideas... ideas for war. You saw the weapons the Bnaimokt used at Ibleam and you have not forgotten. You will master such arts and you will surpass them. Kavodel is greatly prosperous and all the resources you could ever hope for lay close at hand. What will you build?

F. You are Simeon, the rightful king of the fallen city of Aphik. Because the entire royal line has been wiped out and your the last one left. When your city was taken you fell from the city walls during the battle and fell into the field beyond. You awoke in a pile of corpses two days after the fighting end as the city lay destroyed. Your armor looted and nude, you lay still as the corpses upon which you rested until night fall and then you fled. Somehow, you escaped. And then you got as far away from Aphik as you could. The enemies of your people will not suffer even a drop of the blood of the royalty of Aphik to escape them lest some remnant of Aphik's royal line some day try to reclaim the city. You have no intentions to. Your intentions are to live. So you fled to the end of the world and kept going until you ran out of cities to go through. You had never even heard of Zepath before it had become your destination. Working as a miner and trying to keep a low profile you were discovered after you saved your fellow laborers from a dire-wolf which you slew with a pickaxe. For this deed you were elevated to a position of military command by the city Magistrate, a wild-man turned prince named Enkidel. These Zepathans despise "soldiers", men who truly train for war, relying instead upon their individual strength to win battles. Such men are called warriors. You taught your soldiers how to kill warriors. You will take soldiers over warriors any day of the week. The demons which destroyed Ibleam knew well how warriors fare against soldiers. And it seems like Enkidel does as well? He has given you the task of training new soldiers to man watch towers and drilling the farmers of Kavodel into a militia. You are Blooded though not greatly so by local standards. Still, you are a survivor and you live in dangerous times. What dangers will you and your men face in the years ahead?

G. You are Jobe, one of the Balls of Labaras and the group chaplain. While Enkidel has gone off to search for the land of the giants, you remained behind. You are a member of the House of El and thus a man of influence. Rarer still, you are well Blooded and trained in war. If Enkidel does not return... what will you do? Remain in Kavodel? Or set off and explore the world, learning of distant places and searching for the truth of El and proof of the lies your priesthood has spread?

H. You are... someone else. Fill in. Who? Anyone else related to Enkidel by marriage is out, as is anyone who is greatly Blooded, such as Aaron or Tudiya. Any Ball of Labaras who did not come on the trip is fine, Jassiel and Gareb are both in Kavodel. Most humans in Ur are fair game. If you have any other generally creative ideas, I am open to suggestion.

I. Diog, I'm out. Thanks, but I'm done. Why was is option here? I wanted to know how many people will be leaving our game.

:siren::siren:DISCLAIMERS!:siren::siren:

Most of these options will need to go through a quick series of votes to fill in some details on their life and change their skills, knowledge, experience, opinions and assets. We may retcon a bit to make the world fit those choices. When those votes end, you will be in the present, or near to it anyway. Asahel and David are alive, apparently, at least for the moment, they are going to need to survive the immediate danger of course, which is considerable. If you pick D, Judah, we can vote on whether you start the game on his manhood trial or if he is an adult.

I really should not have to say this, but I will anyway. Enkidel's adventure is done. Some of the options above have things in common with Enkidel, indeed, some of them even share similar goals or have similar views. Few if any of them have knowledge of many of Enkidel's supernatural chats with otherworldly beings. I am concerned some people may pick a new character and try to "make war" on the Melachim or have similar goals in mind. (A)None of these characters are half-Melachim. Probably. None of them have tremendous supernatural power. Probably. (B)None of these characters hate the Melachim. Actually uh... the only character in the whole game you have met who was not a demon(probably) and hated them was Amok? If you plan to go on an anti-Melachim vendetta to avenge Enkidel, if you think they are to blame for what happened to him, please stop playing. I decided to let you pick up another character so those who wanted to see how things turn out for Ur or Zepath or wanted to explore the world more had a chance to do so. Enkidel's tale is done. This is an opportunity to do another one.

Last disclaimer. Any knowledge Enkidel had of the supernatural which he did not share with other normal people may no longer be reliable. So for example, the "Trio" may not exist, or they may be different. Presences may be different or gone. And so on. Trying to rely on that knowledge probably won't be beneficial. Most of the secrets Enkidel knew which were not shared with normal people, likewise, fall into this category.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 14, 2016