Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is solar plebian an actual game being made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is star citizen?

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Romes128 posted:

Is star citizen?

Is life real?

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The Stimpire reminds me of this amazing thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842
Read Kirk's posts.

Incredible. And back in '12 no less. Some ideas are truly timeless

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

It could be, I mean the dude that made the spaceships has an actual working physics engine.

Plus, with the stimpire story, a better plot than SQ42 will ever have.

paaarpp.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

kordansk posted:

Is life real?

Star Citizen is real life. Now that's immersion.......

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Thank you, thank you. I've never laughed so hard.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The Stimpire reminds me of this amazing thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842
Read Kirk's posts.

Until that one.

"Congrats, you guys broke Kirk".

"you're a mod for god's sake, DO SOMETHING"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

KM Scorchio posted:

Sandi could play his dead eyed harridan love interest.

I keep seeing you guys use this word soemtimes. Is it from like Buck Rogers or something

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Genius as ever, laughed all the way through

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Read Kirk's posts.

And once again laughed all the way through that amazing read. I have a sneaking suspicion that Kirk graduated from the SA forums to his meisterwork of "The Legends of the Stimpire". This thread just keeps producing. :eonwe:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

I keep seeing you guys use this word soemtimes. Is it from like Buck Rogers or something

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Goobs posted:

So, the stimperor worships Slaanesh?

I just draw them wearing pink because I like all my aliens to have a bright color scheme. If they wore black they'd look like Scorpio from Farscape. In the final release if we hit the 40 mil stretch goal you can customize your player character's colors so dream your stimps any color you like.

Also I don't think the Stimps worship anything except the amazing fidelity and unparalleled immersion of SQ42 and the dreams and possibilities of the 'laxy

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Romes128 posted:

If anyone is an explorer in Elite dangerous, if you get to name a system pls name it the 4th stimpire

Right now we can only plaster our own dumb names on things, to annoy those who come after us. But naming things is planned, I think. At very low priority, though.

But some explorers like making gigantic galactic maps with fan-made names put in. I promise, if I find the shittiest planet ever, I'll lobby those guys to name it "Stimpire 4".

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If enou people sign on we can have the 4th Stimpire added as an npc faction

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Eonwe posted:

here is some stimpire worthy material

I remember a goon post from back in the day, god like at least 10 years ago. Super Stimpire as gently caress, like more stimpire than stimpire, it was this goon's old comic he did on school binder paper where the entire world was covered by this blobby greygoo like biomass that couldn't be stopped and swallowed everything until the entire planet was just one giant body horror in space.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Did they ever officially say what happened to Brittany Godfrey or did they simply tuck her away in storage

Mirificus posted:

In the RSI forums, I noticed Tarkaroshe tends to only go after the weakest arguments and avoid posters like TommyNoble like the plague. The recent Star Marine threads were a great example of that tendency.

They're also quite paranoid about SA and Derek Smart.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4575u5/question_on_probation/czxc8b3

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4575u5/question_on_probation/czxg1t3

MADAME SECRETARY CLINTON GIVE US THE STAR CITIZEN EMAILS

ALL HAIL THE STIMPEROR

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

I remember a goon post from back in the day, god like at least 10 years ago. Super Stimpire as gently caress, like more stimpire than stimpire, it was this goon's old comic he did on school binder paper where the entire world was covered by this blobby greygoo like biomass that couldn't be stopped and swallowed everything until the entire planet was just one giant body horror in space.

anything else you can rememver about this if i go huntin for it? i love poo poo comics and the novel "blood music" is one of my all time favez

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

Did they ever officially say what happened to Brittany Godfrey or did they simply tuck her away in storage

IIRC she left for family reasons. There wasn't anything overtly sinister. It was a simpler time back then.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

alf_pogs posted:

anything else you can rememver about this if i go huntin for it? i love poo poo comics and the novel "blood music" is one of my all time favez

It was in GBS, OP was like "oh man yeah I was kinda...disturbed in junior high" or whenever it was he drew it. It was about as good of art as you'd expect an angsty teen drawing in pencil on notebook paper. Like Strongbad draws Teen Girl Squad except he did color the biomass at least. Looked like pizza

At one point the earth's militaries try to fight it but it's like that thing in the 5th Element where you keep shooting it but that only adds to its power. Seemed vaguely like I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream too but I wouldn't have known that at the time and have no idea if they were referencing that

Unfortunately I can't even remember if I was even reg'd at the point, figured I was

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 14, 2016

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I know people don't speak like they write, but this guy is absolutely unintelligible. This is Palin-esque word salad. Holy poo poo what the gently caress is he talking about, what is happening in his mind, how horrible must it be to have him as a boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCKMsEBOMo&t=591s

quote:

Well yeah yeah you can do it on a gaming PC hehe hehe

I mean I'm running this you know this this there's about this this whole scene's running about 10 uh 12 million polygons now uh a frame

um but like so you know to give you an example I'm gonna get into this ship this is like one of the ships we fly on

it's all modeled to sort of the same level of detail that I've got my my character with all the the bits and uh you'll see when I take off

so I'll just I'll climb into my ship uhh *tswhoo* err

and the ship itself is about 300,000 faces uhh

so most vehicles in triple A games now are about 30,000 or 40,000 so it's again about 10X so pretty much everything's about 10X what you have in a current day game

but this is you know everything's about the immersion so I wanna be in the cockpit so like in the old Wing Commander you're in the cockpit but obviously this is you know all modeled fully in 3D and detail and we can look around

and let's I'll just start to go out to space and uhh there's a couple of things uhm there on the side

and also if you take a look at the uhh you can see this thing's rotating around and these these if I stop here for a second you can probably see the doors opening as it's going and I can take out the starship *unintelligible* around here *tshwoo*

Does he have brain damage?

edit: I had to stop transcribing, the rest is just as bad. He is one of the worst speakers I've ever heard jesus chris

Laopooh fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 14, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laopooh posted:

I know people don't speak like they write, but this guy is absolutely unintelligible. This is Palin-esque word salad. Holy poo poo what the gently caress is he talking about, what is happening in his mind, how horrible must it be to have him as a boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCKMsEBOMo&t=591s

Does he have brain damage?

edit: I had to stop transcribing, the rest is just as bad. He is one of the worst speakers I've ever heard jesus chris

He's just using filler words which is a pretty normal thing people do to buy time for their brain to come up with the word they want to use next. If you go to the LP subforum, one of the things people talk about for people doing their LP is to not record their audio live while playing the game because doing both the talking and playing will make people use lots of filler words, you can see it on Twitch streams a lot. Anyway, that said, when giving this sort of interview it's pretty bad form regardless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(linguistics)

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 14, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Imagine Star Citizen's game design documents being like that transcript, it'd explain a lot

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Daztek posted:

Imagine Star Citizen's game design documents being like that transcript, because they don't exist. it'd It explains a lot.

FTFY

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Read Kirk's posts.

I didn't know if it would be worth it.

It was.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen's game design documents

:gary: Paaaaarp

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Unfunny Poster posted:

He's just using filler words which is a pretty normal thing people do to buy time for their brain to come up with the word they want to use next. If you go to the LP subforum, one of the things people talk about for people doing their LP is to not record their audio live while playing the game because doing both the talking and playing will make people use lots of filler words, you can see it on Twitch streams a lot. Anyway, that said, when giving this sort of interview it's pretty bad form regardless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filler_(linguistics)

No, you're totally right, which is why I qualified my post like a baby. I don't speak like I was devouring Descartes by the age of 10 either, it's just that he's parping out words like a Rorschach tester. Hmm, maybe that's why so many citizens can read their dreams into his speech.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Alan Smithee posted:

That's just the Grey goo hypothetical.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Laopooh posted:

No, you're totally right, which is why I qualified my post like a baby. I don't speak like I was devouring Descartes by the age of 10 either, it's just that he's parping out words like a Rorschach tester. Hmm, maybe that's why so many citizens can read their dreams into his speech.

Right and like I said, he's doing an interview and is doing a pretty terrible job explaining his product. It's basically a sale pitch in that situation, and while it may not be a formal one it's to promote your product. Look at any PR guy from any game studio/publisher, they can run rings around the interviewer with the amount of info they can tell you about the product in a clear manner and it comes off highly appealing by comparison.

Roberts is just a bad public speaker, and arguably shouldn't be doing that stuff at all. Sure there's the "OMG it's 90s gaming icon Chris Roberts" angle, but that only gets you so far.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

Now come on freiends we all know a highly qualified, competent and shrewd director of marketing wouldn't allow someone incapable of speaking intelligently about a product to engage in any kind of promotional activity. You obviously just don't understand public speaking.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Friendly Tumour posted:

Tried booting LoD up, got a ERR1010 - failed to reach game server. For the third time now since Tortolia kindly gifted the game to me. Come on Derek I wanna play your dumb game

Sorry man, the game is in development and servers go up/down all the time. Though we were working it yesterday, I don't see a problem. Can you try it again?

http://lodmmo.com/server-codes/

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
What a lovely day to record a 'Goon-ya-da-ya-da'

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

D_Smart posted:

Sorry man, the game is in development and servers go up/down all the time. Though we were working it yesterday, I don't see a problem. Can you try it again?

http://lodmmo.com/server-codes/

Hmmm. Development you say? Alpha, Pre-Alpha, or Pre-Pre-Alpha?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

KM Scorchio posted:

It's a pre-pubescent alpha, it's all the rage now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

KM Scorchio posted:

heh, we're squarely in Alpha due to some underlying functionality NYI. Beta is traditionally only for when everything is implemented and undergoing testing.

Unlike those Star Citizen cronies, this is the path that ALL my games take. You know, industry standard stuff.

concept
pre-alpha
alpha
beta
release candidate
release

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Derek honest question, do you ever think small? Maybe you're not in a position to need money but it seems like mobile trash for casuals is the reality these days

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Alan Smithee posted:

Derek honest question, do you ever think small? Maybe you're not in a position to need money but it seems like mobile trash for casuals is the reality these days

Great idea, make it a bejeweled clone or some poo poo and call it Derek Smart's Battlecruiser Cargo Drop.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I hear selling jpges is pretty lucrative at the moment

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Citizen Crush

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Spaceville

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Derek Smart's Grabby Hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Thanks to everyone who came. It was complete agony.

• Locked thread