Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When you hate your (pubbie) team mates and just stop giving a poo poo but still want to get a semi-decent score?

That's when you hop into large laser lights, stop giving any shits about the objectives unless it's convenient and just farm c-bills.

Then when you're the last one standing lead the enemy team around the map until the timer counts down as your team rages at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

At tier 2 you wander around for 5-7 minutes before ever seeing a target then half your pubs go chasing after a locust and the enemy team descends on you en masse and you die horribly.

In this case (tier 4), we just waltzed blindly forward until we had enemy contact. Then we took so long to form up and turn towards them, no-one had time to leave our group to go and die. We still lost of course, since the enemy basically walked right through our formation and ripped it apart, but we still took 6 mechs down with us.

Edit:

poo poo, it just dawned on me, I helped bring down 4 out of 6 dead enemy mechs in that match. With a joystick. How bad are those guys when I can keep up with them with a joystick? :psyduck:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 15, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

In this case (tier 4), we just waltzed blindly forward until we had enemy contact. Then we took so long to form up and turn towards them, no-one had time to leave our group to go and die. We still lost of course, since the enemy basically walked right through our formation and ripped it apart, but we still took 6 mechs down with us.

Edit:

poo poo, it just dawned on me, I helped bring down 4 out of 6 dead enemy mechs in that match. With a joystick. How bad are those guys when I can keep up with them with a joystick? :psyduck:

You are T4 with a joystick and contribute 200dmg in an assault mech.
Then there are people in T5.

Think about it.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You are T4 with a joystick and contribute 200dmg in an assault mech.
Then there are people in T5.

Think about it.

lol

"You are in tier 4 with a joystick, think about it." For thread title.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Libluini posted:

Edit:

You "helped" bring down the other mechs. No disrespect but kill assist just means that you hit the mech with something. If you think 4 assists per game is much, try just to hit every enemy once. When dropping solo I always try to get a shot in on all the enemy robots, usually end up with 8-10 assist per game even if I'm not doing especially good.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
God drat, first Libluini shits up the spaceflight thread, now this one too?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

At tier 3 your assaults hide behind corners leaving the lights and meds to tank while getting flanked by heavies.
Sometimes i just wanna ritually core myself.

I'm tier 4 and pubbies bunch up into a single square and refuse to do anything, and get incredibly angry and start shouting at people for moving out of the square for 'splitting up'. Also, a ton of them manage to die in the long range shooting battle and I dunno how, are they just standing there?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Got into this last weekend and been having a lot of fun. Gravitated towards the Raven as I do love the speed and enjoy sneaking up on big mechs, then shooting them in the back a few times before running away. Still working on actually being useful, as sometimes I feel like I'm just being more of a pest than an asset, though I'm probably helping getting an Atlas to chase my 35 ton butt around in circles rather than actually be help to their team.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fans posted:

Got into this last weekend and been having a lot of fun. Gravitated towards the Raven as I do love the speed and enjoy sneaking up on big mechs, then shooting them in the back a few times before running away. Still working on actually being useful, as sometimes I feel like I'm just being more of a pest than an asset, though I'm probably helping getting an Atlas to chase my 35 ton butt around in circles rather than actually be help to their team.

When it comes to ravens, being a pest is the same thing as being an asset. If you're running a sniper 3L you should basically always be trying to pull 2-3 mechs off their firing line/deathball to come chase you. Even if you get jammed up, if you manage to buy your team a couple minutes against a understrength company, your death will do more to ensure a victory than most of the pubs on your firing line.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

If you are shooting butts you are doing a lights work

Especially if you make a bunch of people real mad and hunt you

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

hemale in pain posted:

I'm tier 4 and pubbies bunch up into a single square and refuse to do anything, and get incredibly angry and start shouting at people for moving out of the square for 'splitting up'. Also, a ton of them manage to die in the long range shooting battle and I dunno how, are they just standing there?

God dammit, dont make me live through that again.

River loving City, our Gröfaz leader has the splendid idea of "group in the buildings, let them come to us".
6 Minutes later we are down on our last mech mechs from long range sniping and getting flanked from 3 sides.

Mobility is the key to victory.

I learned this from many lost CW matches, where the attackers simply marched into our base and wrecked poo poo up.
As tempting as sitting in overwatch might sound, it gets you nowhere.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Also why is this not in the game

and this

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 15, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Beet Wagon posted:

When it comes to ravens, being a pest is the same thing as being an asset. If you're running a sniper 3L you should basically always be trying to pull 2-3 mechs off their firing line/deathball to come chase you. Even if you get jammed up, if you manage to buy your team a couple minutes against a understrength company, your death will do more to ensure a victory than most of the pubs on your firing line.

I'm trying to get mastery and already got all the Basic 3L stuff so doing a 3 Large Laser Raven-2X build. It's pretty fun as you can absolutely melt the Rear Torso off a mech.

Once I'm done with Mastery I'll likely live in my 3L though. I miss ECM and I haven't even touched the 4X yet.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

and this

They've hit their dick shaped mech quota

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I want a bushwacker :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Sard posted:

Rifleman faction paints; scope out those CT hardpoints on the Liao one, it's too bad you won't be able to fit two large lasers that high.

What CT hardpoints?

Anyhow, once the Hunchback IIC drops for c-bills, I'm going to build me a better Nova. I can't decide which I like better: This HBK-IIC-A or this one.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sard posted:

I tried this and oh my god. After I kill someone and stop firing, there's just a stacked series of LPL sound effects ending one after another while the game catches up.

I knew you'd like it. Welcome to the Order of the Best Spider!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Because the Black Lanner is a shittier Storm Crow (also it doesn't come out until like, 3067).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
But the stormcrow looks like rear end and this thing is dead sexy.
I select mechs based solely on how awesome they look.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I need mechbay slots for the jenners and the maulers

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

hemale in pain posted:

Yes, they are just standing there. You wouldn't believe the amount of players who try to facetank the first mech they spot.

This is my mech after a 627m range showdown with a Direwolf. I could see his medium lasers impotently try to tickle me while I pounded his face with UAC5s.
His aim was very impressive though, look at that CT grouping despite the ballistic barrage. Helios much?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I want to buy more mechs PGI please let me

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want to buy more mechs PGI please let me

gotta do that CW dance :(

rank 2 is easy to get in a few games. rank 6 takes about a week

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

A.o.D. posted:

What CT hardpoints?

Super high, but they'll fit at best two MPL, or two flamethrowers so that you can have a burning pompadour.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

What are the chances Commoners throws 12 flamers on an Executioner and MASCs people down

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

gotta do that CW dance :(

rank 2 is easy to get in a few games. rank 6 takes about a week

Pub dropping CW is very boring

Let me buy mech bays for 10 million cbills or something

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fans posted:

I'm trying to get mastery and already got all the Basic 3L stuff so doing a 3 Large Laser Raven-2X build. It's pretty fun as you can absolutely melt the Rear Torso off a mech.

Once I'm done with Mastery I'll likely live in my 3L though. I miss ECM and I haven't even touched the 4X yet.

The 4X is good with a couple LPLs in there if you want to (very slightly) change things up. Same for the 2X with 2xLL and 2xML

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

What are the chances Commoners throws 12 flamers on an Executioner and MASCs people down

Flamewolf

e: I think its illegal cause it has 17 weapons.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

Pub dropping CW is very boring

Let me buy mech bays for 10 million cbills or something

yeah man it's kinda brutal. every once in a while you get a competent group, but mostly it's dudes who struggle to break 200 damage across four robots

going with goons is a bit better

although I would caution that rushing the generators doesn't quite work against better teams. you have to kill all the enemies first, then focus down the gens

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TjyvTompa posted:

You "helped" bring down the other mechs. No disrespect but kill assist just means that you hit the mech with something. If you think 4 assists per game is much, try just to hit every enemy once. When dropping solo I always try to get a shot in on all the enemy robots, usually end up with 8-10 assist per game even if I'm not doing especially good.

I know, I just wanted to point out how bad I am. :v:

I have like three kills total to my name. That match would have gotten me 1-2 more, but of course as soon as I had a mech reduced down to basically walking wreckage, someone else suddenly woke up and shot at it, getting the kill. Then both my arms blew up. Two crits, one in each arm, both hit the ammo. Man, I'm really glad CASE exists.

hemale in pain posted:

First I wanted to say I've never noticed people in the game getting angry at me for all the dumb mindless poo poo I pull, but just as I started typing I suddenly remembered I tend to play MWO while having loud music/podcasts running in the background. So I wouldn't actually be able to tell. Whoops.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

yeah man it's kinda brutal. every once in a while you get a competent group, but mostly it's dudes who struggle to break 200 damage across four robots

going with goons is a bit better

although I would caution that rushing the generators doesn't quite work against better teams. you have to kill all the enemies first, then focus down the gens

I've played plenty of CW Patton. :argh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

I've played plenty of CW Patton. :argh:

:(

sorry man. that was more an observation of the last time I did goon CW!

I also agree mech bays should be purchasable with lots of C-bills

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

It makes for another CBill sink at least. Double consumables is what, 80k a match? I just don't see why they're MC only (or even a thing but whatever).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

And colors.
All of them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Colors and other cosmetics I totally get being MC only. All the MC prices are too high but that's been discussed to death.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Flamewolf

e: I think its illegal cause it has 17 weapons.

But.. you can put 2 more flamers on there if you use the Direwolf W CT.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

It makes for another CBill sink at least. Double consumables is what, 80k a match? I just don't see why they're MC only (or even a thing but whatever).

Because WoT did it this way, and MWO started out by carbon-copying a lot of WoT's high-level systems and business logic. At this point they probably make a steady stream of revenue from bays and, in addition to pure inertia, they're probably pretty scared to mess with that. They might see even more revenue from a better model but that would be a gamble and most businesses are highly risk-averse.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
speaking of consumables: though cheating is of course quite rampant in this game, a lot of the competitive teams are swimming in cash and will blanket the sky with UAVs, so sometimes what seems like wallhacking is just your red dorito being visible because of the five UAVs in front of you and two behind you that you never saw

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

speaking of consumables: though cheating is of course quite rampant in this game, a lot of the competitive teams are swimming in cash and will blanket the sky with UAVs, so sometimes what seems like wallhacking is just your red dorito being visible because of the five UAVs in front of you and two behind you that you never saw

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

Can you shoot UAVs down if you notice them, or are they alway invisible to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

You know, even though she's wearing a shirt that says "new york" I bet she's british.

• Locked thread