Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Basically every change the LN readers have mentioned thus far has been the anime removing typical light-novel goonery, for which I am thankful. It's very easy to imagine how a different staff could have turned this into a far worse show.

The only thing different about the LN that I like (and it's still a good idea they removed this in the anime) is that it gives a better sense of how much time is passing and why the characters feel the way they do. In the anime it makes sense to eliminate everything that is repetitious and just hit important plot points, but the LN sort of gives a sense of what their day to day lives are like and how their feelings about various topics develop as a result of that. Like, the LN includes some hunting expeditions that don't really serve any purpose other than to show the current status quo for the party, while the anime (which is more pressed for time) can only really show the ones where important, plot-necessary stuff happens. And this is a good choice, since watching stuff happen on screen generally takes more time than reading words on a page and animating everything that happens in the LN would mess up the pacing. I think that the anime adaptation is about as good as it could possibly be, given the source material.

Overall I think the LN serves as a good supplement to the anime, since most of the stuff it adds, while not necessary, is still interesting. And there's very little stereotypical LN silliness; I actually can't think of a single dumb thing that happens after the "Haruhiro hugging Yume" thing I mentioned in my previous post. It's one of only two LN's I've been able to tolerate and enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
How many episodes does this have? Probably not enough. :(

If there were some to spare I'd like to see a little arc about how the other party did starting out. Sort of like how we got a few episodes of what the tail section people were up to in LOST.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

12 episodes. There seems to be 7 LN's out in Japan but I have no idea how far the show is compared to those.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I doubt we're past volume 1. We haven't even had a complete story arc yet. Although this thing with grieving Manato would probably be that arc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

I doubt we're past volume 1. We haven't even had a complete story arc yet. Although this thing with grieving Manato would probably be that arc.

Yeah, we're something like 3/4 or 2/3 through volume 1.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Finally caught up to the thread, and the episodes.

Mary is the best and I hope she joins the party permanently. :3:

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Poil posted:

Mary is the best and I hope she joins the party permanently. :3:

Someone needs to step up and teach them how to play.

Noobs, m i rite?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, she's exactly who they need right now.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
New OP visuals. Skintight bodysuits are in vogue apparently.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well, yeah

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
An okay episode, apart from that South Park walking animation around 14:30. I guess everybody knew Mary's story would be something like that.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It would be cool if Ranta died

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Blhue posted:

Well, yeah

Anyway, show is still cool and good which makes up for any animation shortfalls for me.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Even I noticed some of the dodgier bits of animation this episode. Buuuuuut who cares, the bits of action were great. Ranta's Hatred move (or whatever it's called) looked especially slick, I think that was the first one-hit-kill against an awake enemy we've seen. Good job, Ranta :toot:

We've got what looks like an end boss lurking in the mines, so I bet they're gonna advance to the mines soon and fight the thing (nevermind how they could win against THAT, maybe team up with the other, competent gang?). And then come back to the ruined city massively overleveled and take revenge on the super goblins.

Also, new intro is much hornier than the old one

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Maybe they're all divers suffering from hypoxia induced hallucinations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Moving up from Goblins to Kobolds is something that can happen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

It would be cool if Ranta died
Yeah, there's enough conflict and drama without his constant obnoxiousness. Hopefully something tears off his empty head or he has some character development very soon. He is really lowering my enjoyment of this series. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 14, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Grimgar: sponsored by Under Armour

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

getting tired of the awful animation. that walking animation jesus christ

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The walking animation sequence, considering the cuts around it, makes me think they never intended to show Yume's legs, but then somehow later rearranged it and forgot how goofy it would look.

Or they just never got around to it.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

https://my.mixtape.moe/paetgk.webm

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

haha wow, that's pretty jarring if you're actually looking at it. anyway, i hope Moguzo does end up with a cute helmet, since his current scarf thingie is already really good.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

She's wearing heelies ok? God.

I can't believe i didn't even fuckin notice that actually. :xd:

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
You're supposed to keep the one-frame walk-bounce cycle to the top half of the body for a reason.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

There were a couple of silent still shots this episode that I thought went on a little too long

still enjoying the show though

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Haruhiro and Moguza both have the same bounce, it's just less obvious since you can't see their legs.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Mary accidentally cast float on Yume leave her alone.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I never notice bad animation in stuff but I did take note of that walking pattern. I laughed and couldn't wait for the thread reaction to it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I'm ashamed to admit I didn't notice the walking animation thing until the webm was posted.

That said, I have to wonder how much the problem was exacerbated by the subtitles being right next to Yume's legs like that. We probably focus on that part of the screen more than would a native Japanese speaker.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The animation is pretty bad even beyond the bounced walk cycle. Character proportions are extremely inconsistent (particularly the neck and jaws), and the keys are clearly not being checked right, so the inbetweens don't create movement so much as it looks like they transform and congeal from one pose to the next. This is some seriously janky poo poo.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Even so, I've been enjoying this show. Somehow

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Nobody's saying the show is anything but enjoyable it's just a shame it looks so bad sometimes

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This ban should be overturned now that the new OP is out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dangerous Person posted:

I never notice bad animation in stuff but I did take note of that walking pattern. I laughed and couldn't wait for the thread reaction to it.

The funny thing is that I feel like there's gotta be a way to shuffle around the bodies so that walking is at least reasonably simulated, so it wouldn't have even required more work to make it look better. The way they did it doesn't look remotely how a person would move if they were walking.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It's a shame that this show has such a nice aesthetic, but it just keeps getting underserved in the actual technical execution.

Like I guess the fancy cape emblem was too much of a pain to draw for more than one shot:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

It's a shame that this show has such a nice aesthetic, but it just keeps getting underserved in the actual technical execution.

Like I guess the fancy cape emblem was too much of a pain to draw for more than one shot:

:(

At this point, I'm just hoping they're devoting all their time to the impressive action scenes we know this show can do...

Aaaaaaaaaany time now

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I love the backgrounds and personality of the main characters' expressions and body language too much to care overly much about the unfortunate aspects of the animation. It's a pretty show even though it's not well animated.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All the sadbrains complaining about quality are aware that they'll fix it for the bds right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

All the sadbrains complaining about quality are aware that they'll fix it for the bds right?

Right, but that's not much of a plus in terms of your week-to-week viewing experience in the here and now, right? I mean, assuming that this is something that disrupts your enjoyment of a show.

I mean, the show looks good enough to me, but 'aww, crap, I have to wait for the DVDs for this show to stop looking like poo poo' seems a pretty valid complaint if you believe that a show does, indeed, look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My hope is that those people then take a look in a mirror

• Locked thread