Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Imagine if Alonso and Jense qualify like 15 and 16 in Aus

it'd be an improvement from last year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
And Manor is supposed to be a midfield team now. McLaren might have the chance to get up to their level and fight for some points!

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I like the sound f the McLaren. It sounds like Ferrari fans' crying because they are rubbish at stuff. If you don't like it then you're some sort of wufty boy

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

And you can tell that it's fixed by that tiny audio clip?

?

As I have ears that work I could hear one low clear and clean note after initial fire up. This is amazing no matter who makes the engine - compare it to the audio clip Ferrari released and you can easily tell the difference between an average engine fire up and this one.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

learnincurve posted:

Well given that a lot of fans have bitched constantly about the noise for two years and the new regulations are supposed to fix it, it's not a bad way to kick off your promotion for the year. Plus the McHonda engine had huge problems with misfires and cylinders being all out of whack last year which made them sound like a 20 year old minicab, if they have fixed that then there is hope.

You must be new to fun engines. If they are running properly they sound like a camry. If they arent running right they sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZmUkA5rGQ

I'd give a limb to see a turbo rotary f1 format. The reverse-header lotus that would make crazy backfire noises is still the best sounding engine to me in recent times.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 15, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

Well those battery problems could be not getting enough charge into the battery because the MGU-H is still not working right, which would be exactly the same as last year

i don't think anyone would called that a "battery problem" though

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I'd give a limb to see a turbo rotary f1 format. The reverse-header lotus that would make crazy backfire noises is still the best sounding engine to me in recent times.

Weren't rotary engines theoretically legal up until 90? It's kinda insane that nobody atleast tried to make one.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
That McHondas engine noise made my piston mis-fire uncontrollably... If you know what I mean fellas.

:smug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know what you mean and it has nothing to do with Claire Williams so I don't like it.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I'd like something to do with Claire Williams

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I went to look for a claire williams picture to post and am happy to report that the first suggested result is "Claire Williams body" followed by "Claire williams 2015" followed by "Claire williams Suzie Wolff".

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

Weren't rotary engines theoretically legal up until 90? It's kinda insane that nobody atleast tried to make one.

Only Mazda ever pushed it and they did make the 26B for the Mazda 767 (and won Le Mans).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXsIUgmrZZs&t=79s

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I went to look for a claire williams picture to post and am happy to report that the first suggested result is "Claire Williams body" followed by "Claire williams 2015" followed by "Claire williams Suzie Wolff".
I saw a talk show with her and Felipe on it and she said how she's totally incapable of backing up in a car. Interpret that how you will and you'll all be sorely disappointed (me too).

Only Mazda ever pushed it and they did make the 26B for the Mazda 767 (and won Le Mans).
Oddly enough they won it on reliability didn't they? There were a couple cars faster than them for the whole race until they broke down I think.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Yeah the Rotary Le Mans car was a strange beast. It was also apparently more fuel efficient than the front runners as well. It something along the lines of since they were running in a lower displacement class they we're moved back a bunch of spots on the grid after qualifying and went for an economy run the whole time. Apparently it was more about the FIA promoting a new 3.5L class and less about them having lower displacement.

The reliability thing makes a certain amount of sense, they actually do better when they're constantly revved up. If they're constantly being revved up with plenty of oil being thrown at them and getting a good amount of cooling I could see them being better over a 24 hour period than a high strung piston engine.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 15, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I never understood why RX-7's never came with a ww2-aircraft style "Oil tank" that you could top off and use. Everyone i know who drives one runs pre-mix and it clearly helps. Like a weed-whacker.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I would imagine that they didn't do that mainly because a low oil light would come on and regular guy would pull over and check the dipstick and see that it was full and figure the light was broken and continue driving.

The problem with pre-mix is that you're getting no lubrication off throttle and then you're in the precarious situation like my kart where something like the top end needs to be rebuilt every 25 hours.

Two stroke is another thing I wish was around during the turbo era.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 16, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I never understood why RX-7's never came with a ww2-aircraft style "Oil tank" that you could top off and use. Everyone i know who drives one runs pre-mix and it clearly helps. Like a weed-whacker.

Check oil regularly and top it up as needed. It's not all that difficult. Never knew anyone who used pre-mix, back in my RX-7 days..

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Check oil regularly and top it up as needed. It's not all that difficult. Never knew anyone who used pre-mix, back in my RX-7 days..

The average person who views their car as a driving appliance, doesn't check their oil ever anyways. So good luck expecting them to check it on an engine that already has a reputation for poor reliability.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
So what's the next season I should watch? Finished 1990 which was in my opinion the highest of crimes against Prost. No real interest in anything that followed that year.

Decision is the palette cleansing 1985, which I've never watched.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 16, 2016

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah the Rotary Le Mans car was a strange beast. It was also apparently more fuel efficient than the front runners as well. It something along the lines of since they were running in a lower displacement class they we're moved back a bunch of spots on the grid after qualifying and went for an economy run the whole time. Apparently it was more about the FIA promoting a new 3.5L class and less about them having lower displacement.

The reliability thing makes a certain amount of sense, they actually do better when they're constantly revved up. If they're constantly being revved up with plenty of oil being thrown at them and getting a good amount of cooling I could see them being better over a 24 hour period than a high strung piston engine.

Besides all the new-design 3.5L cars breaking, that was a year where the equivalency formula for the rotary was quite favorable. That loophole got closed up almost immediately.

Consider that Mazda were routinely whooped by the other two Japanese manufacturers in shorter races in the All-Japan series, and it definitely was favorable rules and reliability winning out.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What year were these cars you are talking about competing in F1 or did I stumble into automotive insanity instead?

Ferrari launches Friday, hopefully we get to see the actual car rather than this is our old car in test livery.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

harperdc posted:

Besides all the new-design 3.5L cars breaking, that was a year where the equivalency formula for the rotary was quite favorable. That loophole got closed up almost immediately.

Consider that Mazda were routinely whooped by the other two Japanese manufacturers in shorter races in the All-Japan series, and it definitely was favorable rules and reliability winning out.

If this is the kind of thing that puts an asterisk on a victory you're going to see a lot of asterisk'd championship racing cars. But its part of the story i hadnt heard before, thanks!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

learnincurve posted:

What year were these cars you are talking about competing in F1 or did I stumble into automotive insanity instead?

Ferrari launches Friday, hopefully we get to see the actual car rather than this is our old car in test livery.

The 1981 season.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ah the year Nelson Piquet won because he broke down the least. Not to be confused with the 1982 season where Keke Rosberg won because he broke down the least, narrowly beating a man who broke both his legs five races from the end of the season.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

Ah the year Nelson Piquet won because he broke down the least. Not to be confused with the 1982 season where Keke Rosberg won because he broke down the least, narrowly beating a man who broke both his legs five races from the end of the season.

drat. Brutal owns on Nelson Piquet and Keke Rosberg.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Having watched '82 I'm of the opinion that Keke was somewhat deserving of that championship. He was the fastest man on track at quite a few points during the year.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'd hope nobody would object to any one-time race winner or one-time champion for the williams team between 1980 and the introduction of the martini livery being considered automatically fraudulent. Plus prosts fourth.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As Keke points out, nobody else won more than 2 races in 1982.

Also 1981 wasn't the year that Nelson won because he broke down the least, it was the year he won because his car was illegal. Please check your seasons.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/10169575/sebastian-vettel-claims-mercedes-have-made-f1-less-exciting

Sebastian Vettel claims Mercedes have made F1 less exciting

A cool and good opinion from cool and good driver Super Seb the Scud Stud.

It's nice that F1 has reverted to it's glory days before the righteous but sadly concluded conflict of 1939-45 when the only question to be answered each year was which set of Germans would win it in the most unsurprising way. Hail Helmutwolffbergttel.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Well it's bound to be less exciting for him, he's not frauding his way to easy wins anymore

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mercedes dominance is one million times more interesting than vettel turning up the engine for qualifying and the first three laps and then coasting to a win while webber sits impotently in third

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
But you see when RBR had their four championships in a row it always went down to the last race and

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

my favorite bit of red bull revisionism was when newey claimed lotus let other teams use the ford dfv "for the good of the sport" even though it was actually ford who had to sit colin chapman down and say "no we're not actually giving this to you exclusively, it's too good"

the fact that they genuinely expected ferrari or mercedes to help them win a title and then threw a hissy fit when they didn't get it is absolutely mind boggling

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Red Bull spent the last few years complaining the engine development restrictions were too strict (when Renault were soaking up the development costs) but now that they're doing their own development of the engine, suddenly Newey thinks that the proposed relaxation from 2017 is unfair.

Red Bull's ideal solution is "everyone else's development gets frozen but not ours"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The Red bull era was worth it for the punch line in 2014.

I liked the part where Ricciado coming second in Australia gave them false hope.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Vettel calling the pot black

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

my favorite bit of red bull revisionism was when newey claimed lotus let other teams use the ford dfv "for the good of the sport" even though it was actually ford who had to sit colin chapman down and say "no we're not actually giving this to you exclusively, it's too good"

the fact that they genuinely expected ferrari or mercedes to help them win a title and then threw a hissy fit when they didn't get it is absolutely mind boggling

I genuinely wish some high level Red Bull executive would write a book about what the corporate culture is like at that company because it seems absolutely horrific if their F1 program is anything to go by.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

Go gently caress yourself rear end in a top hat. He won because he was the fastest driver in a great car.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Brainwrong posted:

Vettel calling the pot black

De-humanizing our first African-American champion by comparing him to an inanimate kitchen appliance? Check your privilege. (Truely the worst thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Having watched '82 I'm of the opinion that Keke was somewhat deserving of that championship. He was the fastest man on track at quite a few points during the year.

The FW07 and FW08 were also excellent cars. If they had a Turbo it would have been interesting to see what it could have done. I wonder what would have happened if Ferrari actually agreed to supply customer engines to Williams...

• Locked thread