Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Better make drat sure that the TB is made of aluminum, before you do.
Otherwise it's new TB time.

And there's nothing that ISN'T aluminum installed. No brass plugs, steel hose barbs, springs, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

sharkytm posted:

And there's nothing that ISN'T aluminum installed. No brass plugs, steel hose barbs, springs, etc.

Well...none that you want to keep, at least.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
This is actually a great part for proof of concept. A used TB on ebay is $50 so if I chooch this one it's not a huge deal.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Adiabatic posted:

so if I chooch this one it's not a huge deal.

That video taught me so many new words.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you build a proper containment system (even just moretite window putty or something similar should work as gasketing material, plus an aluminum can like he shows) to keep the alum solution on only aluminum + the bolt you want to remove, it should be fine.

I'd run a tap through the hole afterward, just to clean the threads out. I usually find if the head's junk to the point that it strips out, or the bolt breaks, there's enough corrosion and gunk in the threads that they could stand cleaning before putting a new bolt in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This one is loving awesome, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5LWcTVeWR8

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Burglary Update: dude got 2 years in Federal Pound Me In The rear end Prison.

Probably never see my deductible but who the gently caress cares justice is fuckin served

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

me on facebook posted:

YEEEEEESSSS!

that pretty much sums it up.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Great news :)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ahahaha kastein has a great point:

kastein on faceboozle posted:

The cursed S2000 destroys all who dare meddle with its affairs

Closure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That thing dropped its valve cover in the woods for you to find like the One Ring falling out of Gollum's pocket, I swear.

Whoever bought the tools HF made out of the scrap the thief sent to china is hosed.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
It's the Little Bastard all over again. Glad you got some closure on this, man.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Whoever bought the tools HF made out of the scrap the thief sent to china is hosed.

Why do you think Chinese scrap prices bottomed out, triggering their stock market collapse?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

Somewhere in Seattle a young man that works at a Firestone and wears a leather biker jacket buys a HF angle grinder trying to save money......

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

quote:

This is awesome, anyone know where can I find decals like this? Google isn't being very helpful

I need these

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

This is awesome, anyone know where can I find decals like this? Google isn't being very helpful

I need these

Unsure. Ill ask him where he got em.

Flying up to grand rapids on april fools day to grab the fozz!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Burglary Update: dude got 2 years in Federal Pound Me In The rear end Prison.

Probably never see my deductible but who the gently caress cares justice is fuckin served

:vince: THIS IS GREAT!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Adiabatic do you have that valve cover that fell off your blown F20 :)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Isn't that tempting fate a bit? :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Since your house seems like the AI dumping ground do you have space for another E30 for a bit? Car's in NJ and I'd have to figure out how to get it to you but I'm not able to escape for a couple weeks to make the trip up there.

It's a little prettier than your vert but not much and like your vert it doesn't run.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Nodoze posted:

DONT DO IT

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Any cover I buy unless its a new one is likely coming off of a blown engine :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

This one bears the curse

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Do you want your engine ruined, car wrecked after you re engine it, then its grave robbed?

If so continue on current course

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Nodoze posted:

YES DEAR LORD TAKE IT

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Since your house seems like the AI dumping ground do you have space for another E30 for a bit? Car's in NJ and I'd have to figure out how to get it to you but I'm not able to escape for a couple weeks to make the trip up there.

It's a little prettier than your vert but not much and like your vert it doesn't run.

Yup

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Adiabatic posted:

YES DEAR LORD TAKE IT

The curse lives on...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

YES DEAR LORD TAKE IT

PM me if you have plat :)

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Nodoze posted:

Any cover I buy unless its a new one is likely coming off of a blown engine :v:

yeah but this one is cursed

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm sitting here writing a conference paper for one of my classes, and I really don't want to do it, so here's a recap of what's been going on since like a month ago?

I think we left off here:

Got the Comanche all set, wheel bearing-wise:

Throttle body on the MR2 done:

Still idles high, but about half what she used to. Time to look into a new throttle body and IACV.

Rear brakes on the MR2 up next:

Half the family:

Time to pop that bastard child into the garage for some :banjo:

Man this interior has gone to poo poo:

Luckily, dad came over, saw the condition of the body/chassis, and decided he wants to use it as a beach cruiser for their condo. He retires end of this week:

He's actually working on saving the interior, but we're probably getting refurbished poo poo all around anyways because he can just do that kind of poo poo.

Meanwhile TerribleRobot and I took something heavy out of something questionable:

Then I went to Buffalo:

Saw Niagara Falls:

Saw a little Jersey Shore too:

Did an A/C recharge on my sister's turdmobile following Motronic's insanely detailed write-up:

Used a fun tool:

And bob's your uncle:

Been a decent-ish month. I'm swamped with homework and real work and all that jazz but what's new. Headed up to Grand Rapids on April 1st to take possession of the Fozz.

Here's the email with all the details on it. I'd highlight the hilarious parts but it'd all be bold.

The Fozz's Owner posted:

This e-mail is a mess of poorly organized info about the car. Let me know what else I can tell you. Haha.

1999 Subaru Forester L

Chassis: I bought the chassis (with a bad but running engine) from the father of a girl who lived in California with it for the first 180,000 miles. The day I bought the car it was in perfect condition without dents and with absolutely NO RUST or signs of rust even on suspension parts or anywhere under the car. Two days later my wife backed my truck into it in my driveway and it was kind of down hill from there. Nearly everything I’ve learned about rally driving (including and especially going “off”) I learned in this car and it doesn’t attempt to hide our experience. This car was used as a training tool and wears the remnants of our many lessons as dents, missing parts and crumpled sheet metal.

The chassis has rusted considerably in its time in Michigan but structurally is still in great shape. Subarus have a serious problem with rust on the rear strut towers which will cause very bad structural problems. This car still has clean looking strut towers that I feel good about.

Little issues (that aren’t REALLY issues) be aware of:
· OEM Fogs (broken housings and bulbs)

· Rear wiper (seized motor?)

· Headlights (both ziptied in but work fine)

· No front turn signals (crash damage)

· No carpet in the car

· Interior is generally gross

· The shift knob spins freely (stripped threads)

· No front bumper cover (still has beam)

· Some random interior panels are missing

· Hood latch pull doesn’t work. (I’ll show you how to open the hood manually (easier anyway)

· Some of the doors have a hard time opening

· Rear hatch latch sticks (pull multiple times)

· Generally, the interior smells like gear oil and exhaust

· Clutch pedal squeaks a lot

· Rear defrost only has a few functional lines

· Blown front speaker (sounds terrible)

· The rear wiper sprayer is gone

· The rear wiper motor is hooked up to the front (front motor is bad)

· The ECU is pretty exposed on the passenger footwell without carpet

· There are two wires running from the engine bay to the ecu through the front doors (don’t remember what they are but they are important)

· The front fender liners are pretty ripped up. They’ve been yanked out by the tires a few times.

· No AC (but the heat works fine)

· Lots of the wheel studs and lugs suck

· There is black wiring on the car still for Hella’s that I removed when they caught fire.

Issues serious enough that I thought about actually fixing:
· The exhaust manifold leaks

· Windsheild is cracked on passenger side with line across the whole thing (tons of chips too).

· Windsheild mating surface is rusty and leaks (small hole drilled in the rear floor to drain haha)

· It won’t rev past 4,500RPM in first gear only. It’s been this way since the swap and I just didn’t care.

· There is a clunk in the front when I reverse while parking sometimes.

· One of the two intercooler fans is gone

· I haven’t changed the rear diff fluid in a while

· The power steering is getting hard and choppy. I assume it’s the pump but don’t know.

· I think it’s slowly leaking coolant somewhere? Probably some stupid hoses.

Engine:
· 2002 EJ205 with STI VF39 Running 19PSI on 93.

· Stock WRX longblock with Something like 180K on it.

· Tuned using Tactrix cable and open source tuning software (Steven S and I modded John S old Cobb tune)

· OEM Block heater installed

Intake:
· K&N Typhoon intake with silicone turbo inlet

· Godspeed topmount intercooler (with Ebay fans)

· Blocked off BOV (for dolphin noises, Tune is specific for this will run lean if unblocked)

Exhaust:
· 5”to 3” stainless downpipe into custom 3” straight pipe. Axle back unbolts for use of OEM WRX muffler which bolts on to the straight pipe. Also comes with unashamed 3” rusty hood dump.

Fuel:
· DeatschWerks modified 565cc injectors (wrx modded to sti flow)

· Walbro 255lph fuel pump

Cooling:
· Mishimoto aluminum radiator

· No Rad Fans (always completely fine except on hot days in a long jam…)

Drivetrain:
· Trans is a forester case (stronger than the pre-wrx imprezas) with who knows what else I put in there (4:11 final drive though for sure) It’s in great shape.

· Rear diff is from a 2000+ impreza RS and LSD (4:11 obviously)

· South bend clutch (Part# KSB04HDO which is just modded exedy components and is a very wonderful and comfortable clutch)

· Lightweight flywheel (ACT Streetlight I believe. This unit was resurfaced past what a shop is normally ok doing for someone. So when it gets looking bad again, that’s probably the end)

Suspension:
· Stock forester stuff. I recently replaced the rears with some used struts/springs.

· No front sway bar. (didn’t work well with the swap)

Braking:
· Rears have NEVER been serviced

· Handbrake works pretty well

· Fronts are wrx calipers (seems to me that the rotors and pads are still forester stuff and it works great)

· ABS is disabled by removing all the sensors ( :) )

Other Stuff:
· Oldschool Turbo legacy front subframe (from trackers old silver wagon)

· “Skid plate” (light duty) is a street sign.

· Oil pan has a valve rather than a drain plug

Normal engine codes:
· Some evap

· TGV’s (tumble generator vales….blah blah blah don’t care)

· Wastegate duty something… meh

· IAC crap

Recentish service:
· Front brakes (I even used NEW PADS AND ROTORS from the store!! WOoOW!)

· Oiling tubes for the turbo

· Coolant tube to the oil cooler

· Oil changes every 3k-4k miles for the whole time I’ve owned it. (John S was even more frequent)

· Tons and tons of other stuff to, but nothing is coming to mind for some reason…

A word about Transmissions:

This car is on Trans #8. The inward facing “SELF CONTROL” windshield banner was put in place to remind me of a few trans saving behaviors that I’ve learned over the years which can drastically increase the life of a trans in this car. The data:
1. 4 times I blew up 2nd gear at WOT in a dry and paved corner. (approaching redline)

2. 2 times I blew up 2nd gear in a straight line on a dry road. (approaching redline)

3. 1 time I blew up 3rd on ice drifting at the top of the gear. (I think it caught a patch of grip suddenly for a split second.)

4. I have NEVER broken anything due to a hard shift or a launch.

5. Broken gear + time = more broken gears no matter how you are driving the car.

6. I have never broken anything trans related at rallycross and I have not held back in any way at all. On dirt, ice and snow, let loose… Please.

Pick your favorite parts. There's a shitload of them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm so hard it's like punching granite.

Don't stop never stop.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

loving Honda rotors. What did you use to grind that screw head off?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
That Forester is going to loving Valhalla and maybe, just maybe whatever mad bastard is driving it will be worthy enough to come along.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Did the US MR-2s get the 3S-FE instead of the 3S-GE?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

That Forester is going to loving Valhalla and maybe, just maybe whatever mad bastard is driving it will be worthy enough to come along.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm so hard it's like punching granite.

Don't stop never stop.

When I am gone, write of my travels, brother.

PaintVagrant posted:

loving Honda rotors. What did you use to grind that screw head off?

It's the E30 actually. I started by drilling it out but that was taking a while so angle grinder ahoy.

You Am I posted:

Did the US MR-2s get the 3S-FE instead of the 3S-GE?

We got the 5S-FE for the non-turbo and the 3S-GTE for the turbo.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
If you want to use those rotor retaining screws on an E30 you have to literally dip the sonsabitches in anti-seize every time you mess with 'em. Otherwise... well you already know. It's not so bad here in FL, but up there I can't even imagine.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That email is quite possibly the best loving thing ever. after reading that I'd even own the goddamn thing.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

cursedshitbox posted:

That email is quite possibly the best loving thing ever. after reading that I'd even own the goddamn thing.

Me too. I love his commitment to staying with it after so many transmissions.

The interesting question I can't help but ask myself is, if you replace the tranny with something stronger than the unit it has, then push it, what breaks next? Axles? Diff? Something else?

My money is on diff, and I bet it'll be fun pushing it to that place :haw:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Mat_Drinks posted:

Me too. I love his commitment to staying with it after so many transmissions.

The interesting question I can't help but ask myself is, if you replace the tranny with something stronger than the unit it has, then push it, what breaks next? Axles? Diff? Something else?

My money is on diff, and I bet it'll be fun pushing it to that place :haw:

The reason he hasn't is that the permanent solution is a $3000 STi 6-speed and matching diff, both of which are good for something like 1000 crank horsepower, but cost three thousand plus dollars. A subaru 5 speed is like $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah if you havent noticed hes got a very "gently caress it" mentality with this thing. Hes spent somewhere around $150 total on all 7 replacements.

If cheap used transmissions satiate its bloodlust, so be it.