Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I think that I am going to continue on with this thread, I am just going to make jokes and vote for the most entertaining options. My favorite parts of Enki's life were when he did things like spare no expense to get his dog laid, or dance to try to communicate with snake people. Jorah needs to do things like build a chariot out of a giant skull and enter races, or learn the Mighty power of disguise and become the world's first drag queen.

I think this thread would be a lot more fun if we cared less about "winning" and more about building a funny and entertaining narrative. Enki spent his life wasting massive amounts of time trying to learn things. I think if we tallied it up, we'd find only about one or two percent of the thousands of questions people posted were answered in a meaningful way. How about when some shithead NPC starts hinting that they know many things and are more than what they seem or whatever, we vote to flip them off and go learn how to juggle anvils or something? At least then when Jorah dies without learning or accomplishing anything, he'll at least have had a fun life instead of being confused, frustrated and ashamed all the time. Just let the story happen if it happens and find ways to entertain ourselves in the meanwhile.

This is honestly the exact opposite of what attracts me to this game, and one of the main reasons I couldn't get through Land Between Rivers, I don't mind silly poo poo happening, but stuff like the dance incident just make me really not care. The amusement comes from the *break* from an otherwise serious character, its what made telling ish that we'd named Kavodel Ishland amusing. Doing stuff cause "lol, funny" is just... bland. There are plenty of sources for that that are less compelling to explore.

Not trying to tell people how to have fun, I'll probably follow the game regardless of what happens, but I have a strong preference towards the dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Diogines posted:

I agree 100%. I spend time GMing but you spend time playing and that is an investment too. I agree. We all play this game together and your investment of time counts.

Majority vote rules what Enkidel does. Meta-level decisions are something I have to deal with. So while I took the vote very seriously, I am making the decision in the end. I am still not 100% sure we are doing Judah, I am sleeping on it. If more people speak up and change their minds I could change mine too.

1. Actions matter. I feel like I am cheating the posters who are against a reload if we do one. To quote the Melachim "it invalidates their lives".
2. Many Goons do not have a "joint" idea of Enkidel. What do I mean? I mean many Goons no longer think of Enkidel in even remotely the same way. This was not always the case. Earlier in our adventures most people seemed to have similar-ish ideas of him. I fear too many people want to many different things out of him.
3. We have some VERY divisive issues with Enkidel which is frequently spilling into out-of-character hatred and conflict between players with genuinely hurt feelings. Every other vote people wanted to kill each other over Ishamal, El or the Melachim.
4. Enkidel was subject to quote "cryptic bullshit" to an excessive degree which made sense for the world around him, but may not be fun for the players. This is on me.
5. Enkidel's "powers" are too confusing, difficult, hard to progress in and the stakes for failure way too high. Again, this may make sense for the world but may not be fun. This one is also on me.
6. We had too many votes which relied too much on "old" knowledge to get right. Honestly, I feel like I should have included relevant information in the posts more often. Another lesson learned.
7. Goons want to explore and adventure. Enkidel's life and obligations made this difficult to pursue.
8. The thread is ridicu-huge. The game is SO old that goons who have been with us from the start are having difficulty keeping track of your life.

The way the game is set up is the Capybaras make the world, fill it with things intended to be interesting, set up the mechanics and off you go. Some of those elements and mechanics were not as good as they could have been. Some were flawed. Changing perspective is a chance to do better.

There are other reasons. Those are some of the big ones. I hope to incorporate positive changes to most of those as we pursue Judah's adventure. Judah is close enough to Zepath that the apparent demonic incursions at the edge of Ur may be relevant to him, but far enough away that he is not going to have to deal with the fractures issues which had become a problem. He also gets to deal with an environment you know of, but did not get to explore in great detail. I think the Donut will be an interesting place to investigate, though if Goons stay there or move elsewhere, who knows?

I think you've convinced me. As much as I love Enkidel, there's just too many things broken for him to work anymore. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into preventing some of the same issues coming up again. The lack of closure is still pretty rough, but I understand your reasons, and we were warned beforehand that that was the price of failure.
I'm still a little apprehensive about how hard it might be to find answers to all the big questions from this perspective, but I'll take your word for it that opportunities to learn about such things are out there.

The only other thing that is going to be tough for me is living without Snarls. :(
Diog can we get a puppy? Pretty Please? It won't be the same but it might help take the edge off

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Rahul posted:

I think you've convinced me. As much as I love Enkidel, there's just too many things broken for him to work anymore. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into preventing some of the same issues coming up again. The lack of closure is still pretty rough, but I understand your reasons, and we were warned beforehand that that was the price of failure.
I'm still a little apprehensive about how hard it might be to find answers to all the big questions from this perspective, but I'll take your word for it that opportunities to learn about such things are out there.

The only other thing that is going to be tough for me is living without Snarls. :(
Diog can we get a puppy? Pretty Please? It won't be the same but it might help take the edge off

Nah. Get a pet, but not a dog. Snarls Barkley is Best Dog and anything else will be a downgrade. Also, keep in mind that without a mighty soul-link, it's going to die very early into our lifespan.

The new pet won't be Snarls, it'll be Monkey.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
We will raise and tame a roc, and it shall be called Barry Bird.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Let's learn falconry finally.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

This is dope.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Ah thanks :blush: That means a lot from you, mister actual artist person.

In my head I imagine the artstyle of the Donut as Byzantine, in contrast to the austere Sumerianism of the Lands of Zepa. Not so much decadent, but more willing to put the divine in human form.

Smattias demands redress from those who have transgressed the law of El.

Depiction of Labaras, with purple cloak to signify eminence, in a sacked and abandoned temple.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I am so stoked to play Judah. And I think Enkidel ascended at the end but lost his mind, forced to act on a sort of instinct. I bet he continues blessing that which is recognized as his too... he just doesn't really grasp that.

Ironically, Enkidel became the god battery in the end

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Ok given the strong majority who want to see Enkidel's story continue, I think the right solution is obvious.

Two threads: Anti-authority gently caress the world types play Judah, a man with almost nobody to answer to.

Enkidel die hards/true friends of snarls play Enkidel.

Everyone wins (except Dio's life).

Everyone commits to only taking part in one thread. We even get to have thread interactions down the line!

Dio, provide stem cells so we may commence cloning operations please.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Majestic posted:

Ok given the strong majority who want to see Enkidel's story continue, I think the right solution is obvious.

Two threads: Anti-authority gently caress the world types play Judah, a man with almost nobody to answer to.

Everyone commits to only taking part in one thread. We even get to have thread interactions down the line!

Diog considered and almost did two games once. He decided he enjoyed not being devoured by rioting capybaras

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Scrree posted:

Ah thanks :blush: That means a lot from you, mister actual artist person.

In my head I imagine the artstyle of the Donut as Byzantine, in contrast to the austere Sumerianism of the Lands of Zepa. Not so much decadent, but more willing to put the divine in human form.

Smattias demands redress from those who have transgressed the law of El.

Depiction of Labaras, with purple cloak to signify eminence, in a sacked and abandoned temple.

This is a super good idea, never really thought about the art style of the donut.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I would imagine a lot of art would be photorealistic, or near to it. Tudiya made as-real-as-life statues, so a painter Mighty Man should be able to make photographs. On the other hand if they were so inclined they could also probably make absolutely mind-loving optical illusions or other intentionally 'unrealistic' art pieces that challenge the mortal mind or blast concepts straight into the brain through sheer perfection.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Majestic posted:

Cmon man it's almost tax time.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Just read through the last 6 months of updates, about time. Nothing of Value Was Lost, bring on Judah! Can't wait for his mind and social life to be torn apart by a cacophony of dissenting voices :allears:.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

I think this thread would be a lot more fun if we cared less about "winning" and more about building a funny and entertaining narrative. Enki spent his life wasting massive amounts of time trying to learn things. I think if we tallied it up, we'd find only about one or two percent of the thousands of questions people posted were answered in a meaningful way. How about when some shithead NPC starts hinting that they know many things and are more than what they seem or whatever, we vote to flip them off and go learn how to juggle anvils or something? At least then when Jorah dies without learning or accomplishing anything, he'll at least have had a fun life instead of being confused, frustrated and ashamed all the time. Just let the story happen if it happens and find ways to entertain ourselves in the meanwhile.

People just need to let go of their bullshit and let the story happen, I agree. I really respect the_steve's response a little bit ago:

the_steve posted:

More than anything, I'm upset that Enkidel gets nothing. No epilogue, no closure. Hell, I could have sworn that when he got taken up the mountain in the retcon, the posters who voted to go along with it got something.

I'll stay out of the Judah game and not take part in any discussion/give away any spoilers, I just want answers to Enkidel's mysteries.

the_steve is upset about the ending, and people have every right to be upset about it. - but he's upset and stepping away from it due to his displeasure. People need to not bring down the thread though with constant posts about how awful this is and what bullshit it is that Diogines hates us all and made a cop out ending, or how there's no way Judah will ever be fun because ELLLLL - just give things a drat chance to get off the ground before we all begin the pissing and moaning again. If people can't help but piss and moan about their stupid petty bullshit, (we're goons, I get it, it is our way), then maybe people should consider stepping away from the thread for a bit. I think we've all forgotten that this is supposed to be fun and a game. Let it be fun and a game.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Paradise Lost 2: Brand new protagonist, same lovely voters arguments.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 16, 2016

Ouroborus
Mar 31, 2010

I really only come here for the Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens CYOA these days.
SA was one of the first websites I ever frequented, waaaaay back in the day. I only got off my ass and got an account about 8 years ago. I bought the platinum upgrade recently.
Welp, I helped kill a demigod nutcase ... maybe? ... So that's a thing.
I think I'm done. Thanks for the story, Diog. Even though we killed Enkidel can we see the sealed ending from before?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Some of the coolest parts of this game were the ELLLLLLL parts though so I don't quite understand what people deal is with it being part of the new story

Examples include beating the Zviv to death, Temple City, House of El, Jobe slow roasting a Minotaur during Ibleam and of course battle prep/arts and crafts with the Giants

I mean obviously not to a sycophantic level but he is the grandson of the guy who surfed a siege tower while proclaiming El as King of the world

e:

SerSpook posted:

And I think Enkidel ascended at the end but lost his mind, forced to act on a sort of instinct. I bet he continues blessing that which is recognized as his too... he just doesn't really grasp that.

Ironically, Enkidel became the god battery in the end

This is possibly a legitimate theory as to what Asherah is

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 16, 2016

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Task Manager posted:

the_steve is upset about the ending, and people have every right to be upset about it. - but he's upset and stepping away from it due to his displeasure. People need to not bring down the thread though with constant posts about how awful this is and what bullshit it is that Diogines hates us all and made a cop out ending, or how there's no way Judah will ever be fun because ELLLLL - just give things a drat chance to get off the ground before we all begin the pissing and moaning again. If people can't help but piss and moan about their stupid petty bullshit, (we're goons, I get it, it is our way), then maybe people should consider stepping away from the thread for a bit. I think we've all forgotten that this is supposed to be fun and a game. Let it be fun and a game.

Mostly, I was trying to bargain, because not knowing is seriously driving me up the wall, and I honestly have no reason to believe any other character is going to actually learn the truth. If anybody, it'd be Ash of Jobe who stood a chance at trying, but again, I would never be ok with hijacking them as characters.

I mean, regardless, I never had any intention of loving up the game (I respect Diog way too much as a storyteller/writer to do that), but I have no real interest in playing Judah at this point (I've got too much wrapped up in Enkidel, and again, I don't believe for a second that Judah is going to learn the truth. He's going to have some big drat adventures, but he isn't going to learn anything on the scale Enkidel could have), I just want to know the truth about Enkidel and Ishamal and all of those mysteries

the_steve fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 16, 2016

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Everyone else f5ing like mad?

Also, turns out I'm not home today, dealing wedding stuff. But I'm home tomorrow so will be streaming artwork at 6 tomorrow.

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 16, 2016

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

It is a tad frustrating that we didn't even get one big reveal per year. The only big thing we confirmed is that we're half-melachim. We don't even know who Ashera is, what's up with Jalitha, how spirits work, who El is, how territory works, what happened in the ancient past, where the gently caress Zepa is, about Ish, what ??? is, or basically anything else. Sigh.

BUT.

That being said.

Once we get our collective grousing out of our system, all we can do is accept that we're not getting answers and plunge head-first into Judah. So in the name of fun it behooves all of us to leave our frustrations in this thread and approach Judah for what he/it is, a fresh start.

I have faith we can do this, goons. We can put everything else to the side and have fun busting skulls in the donut!

We may have gotten really cranky at each other over Enki, but as long as we revert to our goat-loving problem solving origins for Judah it'll all be OK! :toot:

Snuls would want us to have fun!

v Also this

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
We may have failed to burn down Ur, but i trust in goons to mindjack every important characters in Ur and driven them all to idiotic suicide until the balance of power shift.

Hail [whatever Slaan believes in].

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I think Judah might be described as an... inquisitive spirit?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I don't understand the connection that some posters keep making between time investment and deserving a reward. The amount of time we spent on the game is irrelevant to what we deserve as players. We reached a fail state, and it shouldn't matter whether that took one day or 20 years to get there.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

There Bias Two posted:

I don't understand the connection that some posters keep making between time investment and deserving a reward. The amount of time we spent on the game is irrelevant to what we deserve as players. We reached a fail state, and it shouldn't matter whether that took one day or 20 years to get there.

I get what you are saying, but surely you can understand how it is more frustrating to not get a payoff the longer you have been at something?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

There Bias Two posted:

Because most people engage in something entertaining do so to get some sort of satisfaction. Imagine reading the entire lord of the Rings series only to find the last section of the book blank. Yeah, reading the book was entertaining but a lot of people aren't going to be satisfied with that. Some video games have hardcore modes that erase all progress on a single death. Not everyone likes that and people who don't are going to be upset when they get to the blank page after being all in for almost three years.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Arkanomen posted:

Because most people engage in something entertaining do so to get some sort of satisfaction. Imagine reading the entire lord of the Rings series only to find the last section of the book blank. Yeah, reading the book was entertaining but a lot of people aren't going to be satisfied with that. Some video games have hardcore modes that erase all progress on a single death. Not everyone likes that and people who don't are going to be upset when they get to the blank page after being all in for almost three years.

Sure, that may be true, but it's been said many, many times that we were playing this game on hardcore mode, so I don't understand the outright attacks on the game design when this has been the case from the start. So what if it's been three years? I could spend three years playing the tutorial level of a game, but that doesn't mean I've earned the right to see all the cut scenes when I die on the first mission.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I really like how my post about letting go and starting over and hippie poo poo has spawned a new argument.

Go me.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

I really like how my post about letting go and starting over and hippie poo poo has spawned a new argument.

Go me.

I agree with it

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

maxhush posted:

Some of the coolest parts of this game were the ELLLLLLL parts though so I don't quite understand what people deal is with it being part of the new story

Just chiming in to say that Last Stand at the Temple of Ibleam was and still is my favourite part of the whole game.

Diogines posted:

Ready to go fishing, one last time?

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Arkanomen posted:

You and others have made this LOTR comparison before. The difference is that Diogines never claimed to be telling us the heroic tale of Enkidel, savior of Ur, and then just up and never finished the story. He's claimed multiple times to be running a world simulation in which we play a character with a "unique vantage point". It's in the first post ever:

Diogines posted:

You are....

A. A being of the Heavens at the Dawn of Time who is not an all powerful creator, nor is the being "Lucifer".

B. A being in the mortal world, sometime after man has been made, one who will have an "interesting" vantage point for things to come.

Not the hero, not the guy who will save everyone - just a being with a unique viewpoint of the world simulation.

quote:

WELCOME TO THE GAME!

Welcome to Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens, a Chose Your Own Adventure style game. The format of the game is simple. I will lay out the scenario and offer options to proceed with. You can always propose an alternate path to pick. The most popular choice will be picked. Type as much as you like, but please indicate your vote by bolding your choice like this.

One way this game is different from other Chose Your Own Adventure game is that your adventure is to a degree, a freeform adventure. You chose your path through the world. The world can and will change around you based upon your actions and you will not have a predetermined story to run through. Your path and ultimate fate are not planned. Today, the day we started the game, I honestly have no idea where we may be a month from now, let alone how it might one day end. It is all up to you.

It's one thing to be upset if a novel promises on the front cover that you'll get a fun story with a satisfying conclusion, and the author doesn't deliver. It's another thing entirely to be upset when the front cover states that the ending is not predetermined and could go anywhere, and then at the end it doesn't meet your expectations so you feel screwed over. You started reading the book after having read the cover, that's on you.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 16, 2016

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Skellybones posted:

I would imagine a lot of art would be photorealistic, or near to it. Tudiya made as-real-as-life statues, so a painter Mighty Man should be able to make photographs. On the other hand if they were so inclined they could also probably make absolutely mind-loving optical illusions or other intentionally 'unrealistic' art pieces that challenge the mortal mind or blast concepts straight into the brain through sheer perfection.

Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I have a goal for Judah.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Poldarn posted:

Just chiming in to say that Last Stand at the Temple of Ibleam was and still is my favourite part of the whole game.

I still get goosebumps reading that. Listening to Uriah worked that time, despite Diog's warnings, it makes sense that people would believe that it would also work out this time.

"As those around you yell and scream and most of them, in desperation lie about who are the relatives of King Ahaz in hopes that you will save them, Uriah yells loudly "THEN FLEE! BUT I WILL NOT! I WILL FIGHT! WHEN THEY TELL YOU THE STORIES OF THE VICTORY I WILL WIN THIS DAY YOU WILL KNOW YOURSELF A COWARD!" Three of your common Balls, who you know to be of a disposition similar to Uriah try to push the crowd away with their shields, one yells "WE WILL FIGHT! BUT WE NEED ROOM! GET BACK! GET BACK! CLEAR THE DOOR!" Eleazar the Adventurer, with an angry look in his eyes yells to you "Get out of here Enkidel! We will do what we can! Go!""

42 votes to say, 39 to go. That was a close one. I wonder if people would be at each other throats if we had died, as Diog repeatedly warned us.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Task Manager posted:

You and others have made this LOTR comparison before. The difference is that Diogines never claimed to be telling us the heroic tale of Enkidel, savior of Ur, and then just up and never finished the story. He's claimed multiple times to be running a world simulation in which we play a character with a "unique vantage point". It's in the first post ever:

I'm still upset with all those B voters who hosed up Angelgame. :argh:

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Task Manager posted:

Not the hero, not the guy who will save everyone - just a being with a unique viewpoint of the world simulation.

It's one thing to be upset if a novel promises on the front cover that you'll get a fun story with a satisfying conclusion, and the author doesn't deliver. It's another thing entirely to be upset when the front cover states that the ending is not predetermined and could go anywhere, and then at the end it doesn't meet your expectations so you feel screwed over. You started reading the book after having read the cover, that's on you.

Except this is a story game, not a world simulator. Diog is not a computer and as far as I know there's no consistent set of game rules that are being used. We don't know what our powers are most of the time or the powers of anything around us, we've never been taught the rules or controls of the game. It's a story that Diog is making up based on how he feels things should go, not a game based on internally consistent logic.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

This. This is gold.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

Except this is a story game, not a world simulator. Diog is not a computer and as far as I know there's no consistent set of game rules that are being used. We don't know what our powers are most of the time or the powers of anything around us, we've never been taught the rules or controls of the game. It's a story that Diog is making up based on how he feels things should go, not a game based on internally consistent logic.

I agree, for the most part. Diogines definitely is making and telling a story here, and most readers expect a story to have a satisfying ending. I can understand being upset about the way the story ended - hell, I am upset at how it ended.

All I'm saying is that our author never claimed that we would get a satisfying resolution, and that in fact he didn't know where the story would be a month after starting. To compare what he did to if Tolkien were to leave his trilogy off at at an unsatisfying cliffhanger is unfair to do. Tolkien promised one thing, Diogines another.

Paradise Lost (this one, not Milton's) would make for an awful novel as is. The thing is, it isn't one, so we can't really be mad at him for giving us such an unsatisfying ending. He never promised one, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010

I love that the brackets for "(or Aggro-gator)" bracket the pecs perfectly.

Paradise Lost II: Paradise Losterer