Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
• The following values have been adjusted for Flamers:
• Amount of Damage per second has been decreased from 0.7 to 0.1.
• Amount of Heat per second applied to an enemy 'Mech has been increased from 0 to 4.5.
• Duration of time before Heat starts to effect your own 'Mech (not the enemy) has been shortened from 6.25 to 4.75 seconds.

A lot less damage (was it doing too much?) and you overheat faster, but now actually applies heat to the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Flamers are so good. I put 4 flamers and four spls on a fs9-a and went to town. Kept a 4 erll battle master from returning fire and sent those lpl laser vomit timber wolves running. poo poo owned. The tears from these are going to be excellent.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Great Beer posted:

Flamers are so good. I put 4 flamers and four spls on a fs9-a and went to town. Kept a 4 erll battle master from returning fire and sent those lpl laser vomit timber wolves running. poo poo owned. The tears from these are going to be excellent.

They're going to make Ballistics a much more valid choice.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I'm watching some guy in tier 1 running this Mad Dog build, and it's a total murderbeast when he catches someone out, flamers seem to actually be making a big difference in the brawls.

By the way, is that the most SRMs you can effectively cram into something? Better than a Catapult A1 at least until the size re-scale I would think.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

• The following values have been adjusted for Flamers:
• Amount of Damage per second has been decreased from 0.7 to 0.1.
• Amount of Heat per second applied to an enemy 'Mech has been increased from 0 to 4.5.
• Duration of time before Heat starts to effect your own 'Mech (not the enemy) has been shortened from 6.25 to 4.75 seconds.

A lot less damage (was it doing too much?) and you overheat faster, but now actually applies heat to the enemy.

I think the damage change is to prevent them from otherwise inherently being superior to an MG (a bad weapon, yes). Since you're already forced to face the enemy mech constantly while using the things to get the effect, having them do a little less DPS than a small laser and similar range (although with no fall off) would make them pretty decent, and I guess the worry was that they would upset the meta too much if they're useful enough at locking mechs down.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Great Beer posted:

Wait, so this is a brawling buff?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Reztes posted:

I'm watching some guy in tier 1 running this Mad Dog build, and it's a total murderbeast when he catches someone out, flamers seem to actually be making a big difference in the brawls.

By the way, is that the most SRMs you can effectively cram into something? Better than a Catapult A1 at least until the size re-scale I would think.

yes. later on the Archer will be able to rock 9 SRMs, but that won't be available for fake money for a while

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I wouldn't call it a buff, more of a meta shift. It provides a hard counter to laser boats that ride the heat scale since you can completely shut them down. They're short range so they're less useful the slower you go. They don't seem to affect missiles or ballistics builds too much either.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Wait, so this is a brawling buff?

Not really. If you get in close range with someone and take some to 90% it's not like ballistics will generate no heat. SRMs also run pretty hot. If flamers end up being used often, and not a complete gimmick, then it hurts getting close at all.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Sputty posted:

then it hurts getting close at all.

Unless you have flamers :getin:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah any laser vomit build that comes up against two or more flamers is gonna be at overheat within like two alpha strikes now. 2x flamer 4x SPL ACH wolfpacks are looking pretty nasty now too.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
The important question: can we now make a flaming wolfpack that could overheat an enemy that isn't even firing?

Follow-up: if so, would that poor bastard be stunlocked or die from overheating despite being shut down, and would that count as a suicide?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Commoners posted:

Unless you have flamers :getin:

Right now, flamer versus flamer fights are insanely bad. I don't know if the flamer changes will last after playing some matches in a 2 flamer 4 spl cheetah. Brawling mechs are just worthless against flamers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I can go back to my dream MW2 build of just being a Raven packed to the gills with flamers, circle-strafing LRM boats to lock them down. :swoon:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lonjon posted:

The important question: can we now make a flaming wolfpack that could overheat an enemy that isn't even firing?

Follow-up: if so, would that poor bastard be stunlocked or die from overheating despite being shut down, and would that count as a suicide?

Read the notes, heat caps at 90% so no - this can't happen.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Flamers don't stop gauss boats!

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

Read the notes,

NO

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Now my 5xAC/5 Mauler will be even better. Coolest running mech I've ever had.

Also my name is now Warlord Derek Smart Kerensky. Yes, Helios Ban Wave Kerensky was a great name but I'm pretty sure that would have been shot down.

Raged fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 16, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Hahahahahahahahaha

quote:

Your thread "THERE WILL NOT BE A BAN WAVE" has been moderated.

It is forbidden to use the forums to discuss game exploits, misrepresent a statement from staff and sharing false information, causing disturbance with a thread on the forums, making non-constructive forum threads/posts, discussing moderation, accusing and insulting a staff.

You have been suspended for 7 days.

Never once mentioned Helios or named names. Think I touched a nerve.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Trip Report: the new 1v1 2v2 4v4 maps look neat.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZenVulgarity posted:

Flamers don't stop gauss boats!

FLAMERS CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
:getin:

The best 3,000,000 c-bills and 3,500 GXP I've ever spent.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

sebmojo posted:

FLAMERS CAN'T MELT ENDO STEEL BEAMS

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

FLAMERS CAN'T MELT STEEL BEAMS

:supaburn: Steel Beams Kerensky reporting for duty sir! OH SEVEN! :supaburn:

Sard posted:

:getin:

The best 3,000,000 c-bills and 3,500 GXP I've ever spent.

A few months ago I drunkenly purchased the flamer range module. I wanted to see how far I could get that Locust M to fire its flamers when properly quirked out and with the module installed. I think it was something like 124m. Don't quote me on that though, because I may have been drinking at the time.

I'm looking forward to doing some serious [GIRL] flaming tonight. I'm going to try the obvious 4SPL 2Fl Arctic Cheetah, maybe an Executioner with a hand full of flamers, and I might possibly take the Ember out to play him the way he's meant to be played - 4 flamers and 4 machine guns.

If I'm reading those notes right, it looks like 10 flamers will generate the same amount of heat (for the person firing) as just one flamer, while inflicting 10x the amount of heat on the enemy - for the first 4.75 seconds of use. This could be fun.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

THE GARGOYLE IS REALLY GOOD NOW.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Commoners posted:

WIZARD IIC ONLINE.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
How could I forget The Wizard? I'll be rocking that lil dude for certain.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Raged posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

Never once mentioned Helios or named names. Think I touched a nerve.

Good to see PGI are as draconian as ever. Moderating criticism is one thing, it's lovely but PGI aren't exactly the first company to do it, but a 7 day ban? Good grief. They may or may not be doing anything about Helios but they're no slouches when you're out of line about it on their forums!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
What kind of benefit do you get by having more than 1 flamer. Does it cause them to get up to 90% faster or stay there longer?

I would lovvvvvvveee to have Inferno SRMs. Hell that's 3025 tech too.

Raged fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 17, 2016

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
lol they replaced the flamer graphic with a sprite from 1997

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Surprise surprise, flamers broken as gently caress?

quote:

Here is a video to flamer action:

Target POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eu9OoPDDE0

Flamer macro POV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrr4tlnlF-8

What you see happening in the video is:
  1. 4 flamers are being full burned for 3 seconds to initially generate heat.

2. After that the 4 flamers are being pulsed in one group 0.1 seconds ON, 0.2 seconds OFF via mouse macro.

3. This results due low MWO server tickrate, that even touching opponents model for split second within any of the pulses keeps opponents mech at full flamer heat cap (90%) You can miss several pulses, since heat generated by 4 flamers is so high, it does not really matter. If you want to lockdown several mechs, add another keypress macro that burns flamers again for 3 seconds for your 2nd or 3rd or multiple targets.

4. Flaming mech gains 0 linear extra heat due to the 0.2 off period being higher than 0.1 seconds on. Flaming mech never goes into "linear generation mode". EG. with 2 tons (0.5ton per clan flamer) and 4 hardpoints, you can lockdown any mech in game to 90% heat and have your full heat potential to deal damage. Same goes for IS.

5. This can be further abused by figuring out perfect intervals for sets of 2, 3, 4 or more flamers, depending on build.

bonus russ tweet
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/699737573413908480

Sard fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 17, 2016

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Does he think that you can't use macro programs in a real match?

Or am I reading his tweet wrong?

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sard posted:

bonus russ tweet

Russ is my hero. May him and Twitter never part ways.

In all fairness, at least before the patch hit you could do almost the same thing without a macro. Set weapon group 1 to fire all 4 of your flamers and weapon group 2 to chainfire all 4 of your flamers. Use weapon group 1 until they start generating heat, then chainfire with weapon group 2 to cool down. Before the patch I used to do this all the time to keep flamer graphics stuck in the eyes of robots that I was circling.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Does he think that you can't use macro programs in a real match?

Or am I reading his tweet wrong?

He's trying to blow it off, saying that you could also do it manually and it is thus not an unfair advantage.

Ultimately this comes down to "Show. Don't Tell." He's not going to give until the tears flow. So I'll be grabbing AHK to make a script since I don't think FireControl quite has the controls to do this properly, and you should too.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

If you set it to a 10 increment and then had it fire off on two fire groups that aren't occupied it would stagger it FLAME, none, none, FLAME, none, none to get that 1:2 ratio.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Sard posted:

bonus russ tweet

Very good of you to show me this bug.. but have you considered I'm a retard who hates being corrected? Sit down bitch.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Sputty posted:

Very good of you to show me this bug.. but have you considered I'm a retard who hates being corrected? Sit down bitch.

Yeah, this sort of response is PGI in a nutshell

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lol

Goddamnit Russ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The nova has enough slots that it can flamer fist and fist gently caress, all in the same mech, since it looks like you don't need all that many flamers to keep someone boiling.

• Locked thread