Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

redwalrus posted:

take it deep baby paaaarp

Amazing :yarg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Yeah, not only that, but also for posting about Customer Support. Because it was the Customer Support person who suggested they make the thread in the first place :psyduck:

not only that +1, the customer support team has changed so often they actually think you were never able to gift anything bought with credits.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

EightAce posted:

For Monty Python fans

A customer enters a pet shop an alpha...

Croberts: Oh yes, the, uh, the 2.2 pre-alpha...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Sane Backer: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's poo poo, that's what's wrong with it!

Croberts: No, no, it's uh,... it's compiling.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

EightAce posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha ...................

Really !?!

I'm very curious what kind of bullshit they'll pass off for "persistence". It's such a weasely concept that they could do another star marine and just say its loving in there leave us alone

One step Beyond that... maybe something like TF2 inventory?

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Don't worry this thread is still pre alpha. I predict massive increases in fidelity, immersion and fully mocap'd rape in thread 2.2.

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 17, 2016

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I would suggest that someone here registers /r/solarplebian

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

I would suggest that someone here registers /r/solarplebian

http://www.reddit.com/r/solarplebeian is registered, commando!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

EightAce posted:

For Monty Python fans

:allears:

it's been awhile since i've had a good monty python reference, well done

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Booourns posted:

Perhaps we should make a separate SC thread for talking about SC, and then this thread can be another general chat thread

Lowtax should just replace GBS with this thread.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

MeLKoR posted:

lol no, gbs is good and this thread is... well, this thread

also :laffo: at catching a weeklong probation from Games, that's a cheevo right there

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MeLKoR posted:

at the very least it deserves it's own subform

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Raskolnikov posted:

A customer enters a pet shop an alpha...

Croberts: Oh yes, the, uh, the 2.2 pre-alpha...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Sane Backer: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's poo poo, that's what's wrong with it!

Croberts: No, no, it's uh,... it's compiling.

Croberts: Lovely tho innit, beautiful jpegs!

Backer: The loving jpegs don't enter into it! It's complete poo poo!

Croberts: No no no it's a stable build!

Backer: Oh well if it's stable, I'll just log in shall I? "Server error, try again later"

Croberts: Look, you connected!

Backer: that was just you moving the router!

Croberts: I never...

Backer: LET ME IN YOU BASTARD...now that's what I call a dead game.

Croberts: It's locked up.

Backer: LOCKED UP?!

Croberts: It locked up because you overflowed a buffer just when it was starting up. Transient network error, happens all the time.

Backer: Now listen 'ere. That game is definitely broken and when I purchased it not half an hour ago you assured me that its total lack of gameplay was due to it bein' cleared and reset after a long LAN party.

Croberts: Well it's probably redrawing the persistent universe.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how the 2.2 iterations go. There is a lot of, um, imaginative theories about what will be included from the brown sea. For CIG, every passing iteration is another gamble, in the sense that each one draws attention to how slow progress is going. They've promised/not-promised an iteration for every month and people are already getting antsy that there's been no movement yet.

CIG obviously want to get persistence in to 2.2 really badly, because it means more money shooting out of whales collective blowholes, and if they had achieved it than the iterations would probably be happening already. So the question becomes whether its better to poo poo out another iteration with almost no content or start getting in the habit of delaying the patches, for an alpha, that's really a pre-alpha tech-demo, four years into development. :thumbsup:

How can they get persistence going when they have nothing else? What would persistence even mean? Certainly they can't get persistence going before they solve the million bugs, the first time a whale got teleported from his autism chariot the forums would explode.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gilganixon posted:

lol no, gbs is good and this thread is... well, this thread

also :laffo: at catching a weeklong probation from Games, that's a cheevo right there

obviously just needs to take a vacation in yospos to learn not to take threads on the comedy forum something awful too seriously (or at least to not admit to taking it too seriously)

on the plus side i can probably replace my "i'll have you know i'm a united states marine" internet tough guy c/p with :fuzzknot: now, which is much neater for shitposting

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Solarin posted:

I'm very curious what kind of bullshit they'll pass off for "persistence". It's such a weasely concept that they could do another star marine and just say its loving in there leave us alone

One step Beyond that... maybe something like TF2 inventory?

Or some simple player stats that are saved server side like the time of last pubes shave or the number of citizens raped/tortured.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
I'm still baffled that so few, if any, of the Citizens can spot the massive contradiction at the heart of the private servers issue.

So, the world is going to be "persistent", right? XP, reputation, inventory, fleet and so on. Also, CIG is 100% planning to monetize through sale of currency/ships/cosmetic items and so on. And from what I've gathered from mumblings from mush-mouth, you'll be able to sell currency/items back for real cash? Now, I'm no "games developer", but it seems to me that as soon as you have these elements in play (real money, persistence, players interacting with each other) you lock those servers down. Hard. They play on your terms, since you NEED to have 100% control over what goes on in the game world.

CIG surely must realize this too, since private servers has effectively already been cut from the game, but the B'Taks out there still old on to the idea of private little sandboxes where they'll be able to grind those Idirises and Bengals in peace. I can't fathom how.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MeLKoR posted:

How can they get persistence going when they have nothing else? What would persistence even mean? Certainly they can't get persistence going before they solve the million bugs, the first time a whale got teleported from his autism chariot the forums would explode.

the only persistence will be it'll persist where you log out, which will have one of two effects

1. if you alt-f4 in disgust when you get ejected from your local physics grid and your ship is sailing away at a couple dozen c, when you calm down and log back in you'll be reminded of why you logged off in the first place because you'll still be floating in the middle of nowhere

2. if you get into your ship bunk and log out, you'll log back in to the same global coords and either find that your ship despawned and isn't coming back, or it's respawned back at the olisar landing pad

apart from that there's literally nothing to persist, soooo

ofc this assumes that they said anything about aiming for persisting something in the next patch, and it's not just the fevered throwing of idea spaghetti "maybe it'll be this" at the walls by the userbase

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318649/concern-on-customer-service-and-ship-credit

some fukkin butthurt special snowflake posted about customer service on the concern forum!!!! probably a vested critique of Gardiner, Sandi...RUDE :fuzzknot:. Good thing mods took care of it.

:mediocre:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Erenthal posted:

I'm still baffled that so few, if any, of the Citizens can spot the massive contradiction at the heart of the private servers issue.

So, the world is going to be "persistent", right? XP, reputation, inventory, fleet and so on. Also, CIG is 100% planning to monetize through sale of currency/ships/cosmetic items and so on. And from what I've gathered from mumblings from mush-mouth, you'll be able to sell currency/items back for real cash? Now, I'm no "games developer", but it seems to me that as soon as you have these elements in play (real money, persistence, players interacting with each other) you lock those servers down. Hard. They play on your terms, since you NEED to have 100% control over what goes on in the game world.

CIG surely must realize this too, since private servers has effectively already been cut from the game, but the B'Taks out there still old on to the idea of private little sandboxes where they'll be able to grind those Idirises and Bengals in peace. I can't fathom how.

this is an already-solved issue, depending on your definition of "private": elite: dangerous and diablo 3 both have the concept of a server-authoritative inventory while still allowing the user to play in solo/friends-only instances. it's quite literally "always-online DRM", but couched in "it'll let you swap between single- and multiplayer if you want" (as opposed to diablo 2, which requires you to have completely divergent single player vs online characters) and having reasonably reliable authentication/inventory servers, which is something that ubisoft/EA never seemed to quite get the hang of

of course given that the palatablity of it is dependent on how solid said inventory/drm servers are, I'm sure there will be a lot more salt to mine from this feature

also if they meant that even that version of "private" servers won't be touched until well after launch, instead of just "offline, run-your-own" private servers, then they're in for a fun time, because that's basically saying that when you log into the PU you'll get no option of choosing which friends to play with, you'll just end up in a randomized 16-player "open" instance with no lobby selection

which would be hilarious to watch

imagine logging into an instance the size of the entirety of world of warcraft/eve online/your choice of large-scale MMO here (because this is the BDSSE with a nigh-infinite number of places to go, right?), and there's no LFG, no guilds, no "group with friends" interface, you just end up with a random allotment of friendly/hostile players and you get to try and roll with whoever you end up in the world instance with, and it's 15 other people at random in the entirety of the game world.

if you thought E:D's instancing was poo poo...

:pgabz: ignore the effortpost nothing to see here :pgabz:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

obviously sandi's been teaching the eu csr reps well

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

:pgabz: ignore the effortpost nothing to see here :pgabz:

No no, I appreciate it!

"Mod-able multiplayer (hosted by YOU)" is one of the original KS goals though, and that seems to me fly in the face of any sort of control over earning rates/inventory controls.

fake edit: as if any of the KS goals are still being honored by CIG...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Open Development if we tell you anything, don't tell anyone else.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

Open Development if we tell you anything, don't tell anyone else.

Just when I though I'd seen the bottom of the barrel of CIG moderation there is always more and it is always worse.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 17, 2016

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

MeLKoR posted:

Just when I though I'd seen the bottom of the barrel of CIG moderation there is always more and it is always worse.

I'm convinced the barrel they have contains a wormhole that leads into a dimension that is purely made up of the bottom of a barrel, as they scrape ever inwards through the infinity that is their failures at basic community management, interdepartmental communication, or even basic reading comprehension.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

hi cig staff, reddit, and weird citizens. you should all add forums user eonwe on steam, he will buy you a forums account to post here.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Erenthal posted:

No no, I appreciate it!

"Mod-able multiplayer" is one of the original KS goals though, and that seems to me fly in the face of any sort of control over earning rates/inventory controls.

it depends on the limits of the modding, and I'm sure that we are, at this moment, on the something awful internet comedy forums, putting more thought into it than croberts did before he made it a stretch goal or has since the goal was attained.

the main point to keep in mind is that for any sort of in-game item in an MMO, the point is as much to show off your poo poo to other people as it is to actually have the item in the first place. i don't know if it's still trivially easy, but for a long time there were hacked private world of warcraft servers floating around where everyone who was buddy-buddy with the server owner was running around in the best gear on the rarest mounts with the shiniest hats, and then they inevitably disintegrate because when the only people playing are the 5 buddies of the server owner and they're all special, nobody's special.

to bring it back around to star citizen, if they do go whole hog on the "moddability" of star citizen (which I sincerely doubt, but let's take their stretch goal at face value for the sake of argument), you'd probably end up with something not unlike minecraft private servers, where there's a mix of "vanilla" private servers and "modded out the rear end" private servers, you have to download and install the appropriate mods for the server you're connecting to, and on every server you have a different character with a different server-side-stored inventory (or ship list and credit balance, in this case).

however, if they provide their own "official" servers as well, then that's where people are going to congregate to show off their $15,000 autism chariots-- the private servers will have some people on them, people will spin them up and give themselves glaives and indras and mod the character models to be naked elves a la skyrim and etc etc etc, but the private servers won't count for epeen credit. you can't show off the sweet $80 skin for your $3,000 ship if there's no one around to send you envious PMs, you see.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

redwalrus posted:

Galarox, you have inspired me to take my work to the next level.

Fuckin love it! :five:

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Well I am having fun :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKSlX4ZA3GY

Think I am outgrowing Movie Maker though

As ever just fantastic. Great way to start the day, cup of coffee and Pgabz vids :)

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
A little gem for you guys:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...in-store-credit

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

G0RF posted:

So I expect, now that Braben has made this deft little maneuver and is talking about it, Chris is going to feel obligated to counter. And it would be the easiest thing in the world to do-- but for the fact that, as you note, Arena Commander is still an unbalanced mess, half-baked and, like Star Marine after it, the oldest of Roberts' red-headed step-children.

Man that article is pretty honest. Braben admits to their failures and shortcomings in the open. Wow.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

darkarchon posted:

Man that article is pretty honest. Braben admits to their failures and shortcomings in the open. Wow.

He mentions buying Geometry Wars. Space Sim visionary plays game made in the last twenty years, stop presses.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

darkarchon posted:

its not even like theyre parading open development as a feature

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redwalrus posted:

take it deep baby paaaarp

:hfive:

:five:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Finally caught up after 3 weeks!!!

[Img]https://i.imgur.com/oWNIGQi.gif][/Img]

no_recall fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 17, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Forums Rules Number 7b, subsection 5

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

:lol:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Amazing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

on the plus side i can probably replace my "i'll have you know i'm a united states marine" internet tough guy c/p with :fuzzknot: now, which is much neater for shitposting
The funny sentence, for those keeping track, is "I'm not a violent person, I would only hurt someone in self-defense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I don't see what's so funny, sure the dam broke but they can cement it back up whenever they feel like enough water has spilled from it.

• Locked thread