Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Deuce posted:

Dear Firaxis:

gently caress you and your loving broke as lovely game. Twice I've attempted the final mission, and twice I've reached the final room only to have the game start crashing uncontrollably during alien turns.

Sincerely,

Deuce.

Edit:

Fun fact: "David and Goliath" achievement is for "killing a berserker in melee combat." This includes killing a dominated berserker by suiciding against an enemy muton

I finished the game last night. I quit the game and restarted after the first avatar which gave me adequate performance, although everything was chugging by the time I finished the final avatar. I also had a weird bug where one of my grenadiers just could not seem to launch a grenade to one side of the map. Didnt matter where I was, it was like there was an anti-grenade repulsion field coming from one of those pillars. I actually thought there might be until my other grenadier demolished it to get to the three mutons hiding behind it.

Maluco Marinero posted:

They definitely did work like that in Beagle's videos but they're from the prerelease build so I guess the got rebalanced back to needing LoS.

Ive had battle scanners scan through walls, but they don't provide vision for my snipers which makes me sad. Also there some weird display bugs with units remaining scanner red for several turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jintor
May 19, 2014

The fact that battle scanner red is the same as will-be-blown-the-gently caress-up-red shits me to no end.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
I guess I'll just never pick "save the item" missions any more for guerilla, no matter how important the rewards I need. That's two I've failed on this ironman/commander run because a fire got started near them, and that means it's arbitrarily destroyed a few turns later.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Having a bug where an andromedan died under my control and now I can't target the shell.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Good news, friends, there is a finally an anime voice pack to go with that anime hair mod. :nyoron:

VVVV - sugoi!

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 19, 2016

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Don't forget the neptunia voice mod :v:

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Can hair trigger proc off rapid fire?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Huh. Neat little mod someone made.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626263440

Deployable Turrets

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
It is hard to keep track in a thread that moves so fast. Could someone link to the post someone compiled of things that can be safely sold and things that are needed for research and production?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

BenRGamer posted:

Huh. Neat little mod someone made.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626263440

Deployable Turrets

Buildin' a Sentry Here!

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Do enemies have to move in the proximity mine radius or do they just blow up when they make contact with an enemy like a regular grenade? Trying to decide if I should build them and use them instead of plasma grenades because they do more damage than plasma, but I want them to blow up on the turn that I throw them.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I've got 27 mods installed. I haven't even finished my first campaign.

I may have a problem, but I also have sombreros and the ability to buttstroke anyone I please.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Destro posted:

Do enemies have to move in the proximity mine radius or do they just blow up when they make contact with an enemy like a regular grenade? Trying to decide if I should build them and use them instead of plasma grenades because they do more damage than plasma, but I want them to blow up on the turn that I throw them.

They need to move in their turn to explode. (Or teleport into it, I think).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

RandallODim posted:

I've got 27 mods installed. I haven't even finished my first campaign.

I may have a problem, but I also have sombreros and the ability to buttstroke anyone I please.
I have a bunch installed too. This game has so much amazing potential, but between the bugs, poor balancing, and dumb design decisions, I can't imagine playing it without mods.

I just ran into burrowing Crystallids for the first time. That right there is some hot bullshit. They get to activate and attack immediately when a soldier gets in range, and of course the poison is a death sentence.

The only defense I've found is a bunch of overwatch, which is pretty loving hard to do on a timed or retaliation mission, where you have to keep moving fast.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

WhiteHowler posted:

I have a bunch installed too. This game has so much amazing potential, but between the bugs, poor balancing, and dumb design decisions, I can't imagine playing it without mods.

I just ran into burrowing Crystallids for the first time. That right there is some hot bullshit. They get to activate and attack immediately when a soldier gets in range, and of course the poison is a death sentence.

The only defense I've found is a bunch of overwatch, which is pretty loving hard to do on a timed or retaliation mission, where you have to keep moving fast.

You can advance more rapidly by using the GREMLIN scouting skiill or the proximity scanners you get from the ADVENT trooper autopsy. If you scan a Chrysalid (or a Faceless), it'll have to reveal itself and advance, at which point they tend to be sitting ducks.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I think I found one of the "secret" advent crates that people were talking about a while ago.

Even after moving up to it I couldn't find a way to open it, maybe it was just a graphical glitch?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Odobenidae posted:

Even after moving up to it I couldn't find a way to open it, maybe it was just a graphical glitch?

I suspect that the icon in position 0 on this image would have opened the crate? (it's the same icon that opens doors when you're standing next to one, IIRC).

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

I suspect that the icon in position 0 on this image would have opened the crate? (it's the same icon that opens doors when you're standing next to one, IIRC).

Yeah, I've opened those too, but it lists nothing inside.

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

It seems like if you leave soldiers behind to be captured by ADVENT, they'll reappear in holding cells like those with their gear confiscated in the secure crate nearby. I've only ever seen those empty crates near holding cells.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jintor posted:

They need to move in their turn to explode. (Or teleport into it, I think).

As long as the enemy is in the radius, the mine pops. This takes precedence over enemy actions, so you can actually launch a mine into a pod at the end of your turn, watch it blow the enemy up, and then the survivors will scatter into cover without shooting your dudes per usual pod encounter rules.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Odobenidae posted:

I think I found one of the "secret" advent crates that people were talking about a while ago.

Press V to open chests and doors.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Huszsersvn posted:

It seems like if you leave soldiers behind to be captured by ADVENT, they'll reappear in holding cells like those with their gear confiscated in the secure crate nearby. I've only ever seen those empty crates near holding cells.

The other less-often seen one is if you dismiss a soldier, they may one day reappear as soldier pick up on the field, fully upgraded to your level. Could be a neat auto-leveling strat potentially.

Usually if you dismiss a rookie or something like that, they reappear in the recruit list almost immediately. If they don't, it could mean they went off in search of treasure on their own.

Beagle
Dec 8, 2012

It's fine...

Schizotek posted:

So much for doing my IG voicepack before the weekend.

*Sectopod activates* IT IS THE BAAANEBLAAAADE

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Oh wow i'm loving blind, I thought that it would be a green hack symbol at the bottom and just moved on when I didn't see it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jesus Christ where is this last Avatar? I whittled him down to half health, but then he teleported away and I can't find him. I've been playing hide and seek with the guy for over an hour now.

edit: and I keep having a bug where my mind controlled guys will attack my other mind controlled guys even if I tell them to attack enemies. Like, I have a Gatekeeper attack a Chrysallid to his right, and he attacks my Andromedan to his left instead.

At this point I'm done with this. I've been trying to beat this one map for two and a half hours now but I can't find the last avatar and I can't keep up with the bottomless reinforcements.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 19, 2016

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Yep, I appear to have somehow made concealment icons disappear permanently. This persists through a system restart and across campaigns. This is distinctly unfortunate.

A few pages ago somebody said that the latest nVidia drivers did this, maybe that's the culprit?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jim DiGriz posted:

A few pages ago somebody said that the latest nVidia drivers did this, maybe that's the culprit?

I ran across this link in that regard. Have yet to try it myself but maybe it helps.

http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/216772298-Cover-Icons-Disappearing

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I just beat the game on Veteran. The killing blow on the last Avatar was an Andromedan's goop gun. I'd like to think that once the Avatar died, X-Com took him/her/it home with them, newly freed from Ethereal Mind Control :3:

As for a post game review, i went in completely blind into XCOM 2. Everything was a surprise to me, especially (mainly) the codex. It was fun discovering things though and the extra decisions to make on the strategic layer are a good addition to the game. This game is definitely an improvement on EU/EW and I can't wait to see what their DLC and or mods add.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Harrow posted:

I wonder what an "Old X-COM" mod for XCOM 2 would look like. Just take a ton of the design philosophies from the old X-COM games and put them into XCOM 2's engine.

This forever. I like xcom2 but gently caress the whole super hero hijinks, I want a group of desperate joe's who's rank just means they have seen a lot of dead rookies and won't panic because they accept death is certain. Witness me.

I want a Skyranger that needs hosing down from blood and excrement.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

SynthOrange this mod is too good.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So generally speaking how much RAM does the average XCOM 2 player have? I have 16gb.

And yet, XCOM 2 is the only game in existence that windows has ever crashed on me for the reason that I am low on memory when my system is only using 50% of it at the kind of load gaming & browsing does. Pretty sure this game has a memory leak issue. I use way more than this game does when video editing.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Feb 19, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Nation posted:

This forever. I like xcom2 but gently caress the whole super hero hijinks, I want a group of desperate joe's who's rank just means they have seen a lot of dead rookies and won't panic because they accept death is certain. Witness me.

I want a Skyranger that needs hosing down from blood and excrement.

Personally I wanna see a medic doing CPR on the floor of the Skyranger if anyone was bleeding out/gravely wounded when you evacced, a body bag if someone died, and whatever VIP's you're bringing back actually inside with the squad.

It's a small thing and probably more trouble than it's worth, but it'd be super cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

SynthOrange this mod is too good.

Yeah I knew I was forgetting something. "Of course, it should appear on civs and off-duty soldiers!"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Generation Internet posted:

Personally I wanna see a medic doing CPR on the floor of the Skyranger if anyone was bleeding out/gravely wounded when you evacced, a body bag if someone died, and whatever VIP's you're bringing back actually inside with the squad.

It's a small thing and probably more trouble than it's worth, but it'd be super cool.

I got one of the 'increase your squad size by 2' mods, and when I upgraded to 7 and 8 dudes, I was shocked to seem them in the skyranger as well. They're sitting in two seats closes to the camera, and you can only get a glimpse of them when the camera zooms out, but they're there. Which makes it weird that VIPs don't show up actually.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Huszsersvn posted:

They can spawn in other places in ADVENT installations, too. Then they normally hold an "ADVENT Container" that gives you some random extra loot if you take it with you out of the mission.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man the patterns go on really well.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
That is glorious.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 31, 2022

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a work around for the "can't find what mods you were using" message that springs up every so often, disabling all my mods? It's such a petty thing but it's annoying having to reactivate everything. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Lunethex posted:

So generally speaking how much RAM does the average XCOM 2 player have? I have 16gb.

And yet, XCOM 2 is the only game in existence that windows has ever crashed on me for the reason that I am low on memory when my system is only using 50% of it at the kind of load gaming & browsing does. Pretty sure this game has a memory leak issue. I use way more than this game does when video editing.

I had that problem then realized I changed my pagefile to some absurdly low number at some point, switched it to system managed and never crashed again. Though I still think its using more memory than should be reasonably possible, but whatever, it works.