Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

Holy poo poo you are doing better than I was, but your Ottomans are doing better than my game's Ottomans. Do you have any way to pick-off their allies (to nullify their alliance with the Ottomans)?

I got a merchant out of the Phillipines by colonizing Manila and adding it to my Trade Company, then ignored the place :v: if I remember correctly, Canton can be taken over (51% for the TC) with the province of Canton , the estuary in Indochina, and a few in-between.

It sucks that you went Humanist instead - you can get some awesome military-related Policies with Religious, but Humanist is pretty much associated with non-military policies (except for Quantity, which can give you +1 shock).

I've literally never seen the Ottomans do better. The Timurids held on until the Ottomans rolled into them and fully absorbed them. My expansion was at the very limits of sustainable and they still got 2 dev for every 1 that I managed to conquer or colonize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Looking to get into EU4, have not played it in a few years. What are some of the must have mods/dlc?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

This is my emperor in the multiplayer game. At 70 years old, he's been ruling my country through its greatest golden age for the past 41 years. :allears: In a surprise turn of events, he was also elected Holy Roman Emperor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ganglysumbia posted:

Looking to get into EU4, have not played it in a few years. What are some of the must have mods/dlc?

Pretty much all the DLCs are great, but some unlock some pretty specific stuff, so if you're not going to play there you don't need it right away. The wiki describes it well, and if you click on any expansion it'll break down the spread of paid features you need the DLC to use, and the free features that came with that patch: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content

No mods are really considered a must have, aside from cosmetic map ones. Thicker Borders and Recolored Water (TBARW) looks very nice; the transparent political mapmode optional in particular is a must have in my opinion.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Playing Florence, should I stay catholic or go protestant? The Pope hates me and I pretty much should take Rome eventually but I don't want to take Italy's color to get rid of the catholic holding Rome penalty.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty much all the DLCs are great, but some unlock some pretty specific stuff, so if you're not going to play there you don't need it right away. The wiki describes it well, and if you click on any expansion it'll break down the spread of paid features you need the DLC to use, and the free features that came with that patch: http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content

No mods are really considered a must have, aside from cosmetic map ones. Thicker Borders and Recolored Water (TBARW) looks very nice; the transparent political mapmode optional in particular is a must have in my opinion.

I've never used mods before but the look of these maps has intrigued me. Can you use a mod and still play Ironman?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ironman friendly mods tend to be the ones that just modify UI elements so you should be okay if you want your maps to be prettier and whatnot.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Is there a way to edit colors some of these are p icky and I'd like to fiddle with a few to see why I shouldn't have in the first place

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing Aztec for the first time. Where the hell is this Doom meter and how do I reform poo poo? The religion tab shows nothing and I don't see any sort of Doom number anywhere except from events.

Edit: Oh I'm an idiot, it's down by the HRE and Papacy mechanic area.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 21, 2016

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Europa Universalis IV: Fetishizing African Expansion

it wasn't funny the first time fyi

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

cool and good posted:

it wasn't funny the first time fyi

"funny" thread titles are never funny in the first place

verbal enema posted:

Is there a way to edit colors some of these are p icky and I'd like to fiddle with a few to see why I shouldn't have in the first place

You're going to have to not live up to your namesake if you want us to understand what you're talking about

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy. Just go to your main eu4 folder and open the common and then countries folders. The colors are right at the top.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Trujillo posted:

Yeah it's pretty easy. Just go to your main eu4 folder and open the common and then countries folders. The colors are right at the top.

cool ty

Node posted:

"funny" thread titles are never funny in the first place

You're going to have to not live up to your namesake if you want us to understand what you're talking about

you have bad comprehension

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

verbal enema posted:

you have bad comprehension

:vince: :vince: :vince: :vince:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

European expansion in India is pretty interesting, because you can actually pinpoint the moment the Europeans realised they had a massive military advantage on land (the advantage at sea was already long established) to a specific battle in the First Carnatic War, where the Nawab of Arcot sent ten thousand cavalrymen to the aid of his British allies and got trounced by barely five hundred French infantry.

They kicked off a wave of cavalry obsolescence that would also bring down the feared Ottoman cavalry during the French Revolution. They were considered the best in the world for about as long as it took them to run into Napoleon.

Among other things going on here is the sneaky little fact that infantry have always been superior to cavalry, but until that point, most infantry armies had lacked the professionalism to maintain cohesion in a manner that would allow them to overcome cavalry. European infantry professionalism was extremely effective against the "fearsome" and cavalry-centric armies they fought against in these cases.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i enjoy heavy cav armies for the pretend "sound" factor

"Listen to my hooves!"
Thomas Greene

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

General note: since 1.14, you can always play ironman mode, even if your game is modded to poo poo. This is useful to learn how to stop save-scumming all the time if you have issues with that. But achievements require you to have the correct checksum, which non-cosmetic mods will change.

Mr. Fowl posted:

I've never used mods before but the look of these maps has intrigued me. Can you use a mod and still play Ironman?

The ones that change the look of the map, yes. Typically people putting stuff on the Steam workshop will go out of their way to point out if it's ironman compatible or not (TBARW is).

But anything that changes the actual map layout, even if no provinces are added/removed, and no adjacencies are changed, will block you from playing achievement ironman. The best example mod here is Typus Orbis Terrrarum, an absolutely beautiful corrected projection, with a few province edits. I cannot understand why the devs haven't tried to adopt it to replace the existing map (which is ridiculously dis-proportioned, and comes from the days of EU being a board game).

verbal enema posted:

Editing map colors will change the checksum, and stop you from earning achievements. Which is kind of ridiculous, since country colors (the edge borders on the map, and the flair color on your unit sprites) is already in its own file which I believe is excluded from the important checksum.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 21, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was not entirely kidding. If that level of military dominance (or even something less dramatic) was in place near the middle of the 18th century then it would actually make sense to balance the game around that. Perhaps not so much in the sense that Europeans (or anyone else with such a tech advantage) can destroy 10-20 times their number, but more in the sense that they can rout them.

this is more-or-less how the game was balanced in eu3, if you're curious.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PleasingFungus posted:

this is more-or-less how the game was balanced in eu3, if you're curious.
I feel like you reached that point earlier though, not near the end of the game.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Does the vassal cut off for cheap cores still work? (Ala ottos release syria for cheap africa?)

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Does the vassal cut off for cheap cores still work? (Ala ottos release syria for cheap africa?)

Yep

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
I think I'm going to try an Ethiopia run next. Is it better to take Religious or Exploration first?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bishop Rodan posted:

I think I'm going to try an Ethiopia run next. Is it better to take Religious or Exploration first?
I just completed my run and I had Religious first. The budget is always tight so colonizing first is hard, while if you have Religious you can focus on conquering and converting your neighbors first, which in turn leads to having a bigger budget for colonizing. Having Religious helps you be more stable because with the help of the Clergy you can convert any province you conquer (except for Mecca) in three years or less, which is huge for avoiding revolts.

edit: Also, I had no trouble beating the Euros to the Cape and St. Helena, which lets you springboard to Brazil so you can Westernize. I took Defender of the Faith early for all the benefits it gives and because the tech penalty helps you stay juuuust far enough behind that you can Westernize shortly after making to Brazil (unless you are blessed with great rulers the whole time).

I did Econ third but I potentially could have skipped it because the Burghers estate helps you ensure that there is a Master of Mint available at least once every 30 years, and he comes at a discount. I've considered doing another run where I take Admin third instead, because the Merc discount would help my money situation, and the coring cost discount would have been huge for me because of the horrible admin point shortage I was experiencing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 21, 2016

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is there a way to pause upon receiving a call to arms? I'm tired of alt-tabbing out and then finding out my bff Austria is no longer my bff cause I didn't see the call to arms to gently caress over some OPM.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Jeoh posted:

Is there a way to pause upon receiving a call to arms? I'm tired of alt-tabbing out and then finding out my bff Austria is no longer my bff cause I didn't see the call to arms to gently caress over some OPM.

If you right click on the notification, you can change the settings for Calls to Arms from Popup to Popup and Pause.

There might be a couple variations of it though (allied defensive, allied offensive, guarante, defender of the faith), so you might want to go through your notification settings.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bishop Rodan posted:

I've been going Quality because I expand too fast to ever have the spare admin points for Religious but I think that were I to start over (with the new Africa patch) Religious would be the first one because you basically have to have that +3% conversion chance or you will never, ever finish converting all of these provinces.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Hey, the Europa Gooniversalis mod, for whatever reason, removes all the flags from European countries. Is there some flag pack you guys are using with it?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is it just me or is uniting Japan easier as one of the little guys rather than starting as Japan?

Maybe I'm just annoyed because I keep running into problems, like Useugi taking Takeda's gold mine when I was 3 months from diplo-annexing Takeda or getting dogpiled by 3 of the bigger vassals in an independence war. :argh:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's absolutely easier as one of the daimyos.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well that answers that. I'll ride this out to failure and try again I suppose.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I barely played since Common Sense came out. How many game changing updates have happened since then?

I'm honestly afraid of picking this up again for a MP campaign and being absolutely smashed by my friends :ohdear:

Dibujante posted:

They kicked off a wave of cavalry obsolescence that would also bring down the feared Ottoman cavalry during the French Revolution. They were considered the best in the world for about as long as it took them to run into Napoleon.

Among other things going on here is the sneaky little fact that infantry have always been superior to cavalry, but until that point, most infantry armies had lacked the professionalism to maintain cohesion in a manner that would allow them to overcome cavalry. European infantry professionalism was extremely effective against the "fearsome" and cavalry-centric armies they fought against in these cases.

The same cavalry you accuse of becoming obsolete went on to be a respectable cavalry force in the Napoleonic Army, alongside Polish cavalry whose combat tactics had barely changed in hundreds of years :v:

Cavalry gives a military force exelent mobility and a tremendous offensive capability. Training people to hold their ground against a charging cavalry force is much harder than you think. Horses are loving scary when they're mad and charging at you.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

It can only be Djerid!

God i feel awful for making that joke.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, so Aztec and the nations around it play entirely different from normal European EUIV. I take it the goal is to vassalize all 5 around you and feed them the remaining states then reform out to a functional society?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Hey, the Europa Gooniversalis mod, for whatever reason, removes all the flags from European countries. Is there some flag pack you guys are using with it?

It doesn't do that for me. Try deleting your my documents/paradox/eu4/gfx/flags folder and reloading.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I wanna try a Timmies->Mughals game, anyone have advice? Never played that far east, or a horde, before. How do I manage horde unity/deal with rebels? I haven't started yet but tried popping out a vassal Persia already had ~67% liberty desire off the bat, so that's not gonna work. Don't really like the idea of razing (though it does sound pretty OP), isn't that just crippling the value of territory I want to conquer anyway? Or is razing just for neighboring territory you have no desire to own yourself. Looking at the form Mughals decision, do I need to reform the government first, or is it enough to simply conquer the required provinces? What areas are worth expanding into and which aren't worth it? Definitely wanna blob into all of India and start colonizing the Indies. Is colonizing the Cape worthwhile, or can I just funnel all the trade into India instead? Conquering into the Middle East a good idea, or not worth it? Looks like going northward into the steppe would be kinda a waste of time. Anyway, appreciate any input, thanks.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mans posted:

The same cavalry you accuse of becoming obsolete went on to be a respectable cavalry force in the Napoleonic Army, alongside Polish cavalry whose combat tactics had barely changed in hundreds of years :v:

Cavalry gives a military force exelent mobility and a tremendous offensive capability. Training people to hold their ground against a charging cavalry force is much harder than you think. Horses are loving scary when they're mad and charging at you.
Training people to hold their ground is incredibly hard, which is why cavalry survived as an institution for so long. But this was definitely the beginning of the end. The square formation caused the cavalry calculus to go from (almost) always being a good choice to being a situational choice. It would still be situationally valuable until the Crimean War, when it would become clear that increased infantry firepower would generally reduce the use of cavalry to screening or reconnaissance. Cavalry played almost no shock role in the American Civil War, which foreshadowed the First World War. The fact that any cavalry were present in the First World War was only evidence that military leaders in Europe discounted the American experience, rather than that cavalry still had legs (hyuk).

In game terms, there probably should not be an upper limit on how many cavalry you want in your army. You basically want as many cavalry as you can possibly afford until three things happen:
  • Muskets become sufficiently sophisticated to fire quickly and accurately.
  • Underslung bayonets are invented.
  • Military discipline enables the infantry square.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I've never had the thirty years wars / religious league wars fire where I could be a part of them. Whats the easiest way to trigger them? Play as Austria and just declare on whoever the protestant leader is? Or be an elector and convert to protestant as soon as possible

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Azuren posted:

I wanna try a Timmies->Mughals game, anyone have advice? Never played that far east, or a horde, before. How do I manage horde unity/deal with rebels? I haven't started yet but tried popping out a vassal Persia already had ~67% liberty desire off the bat, so that's not gonna work. Don't really like the idea of razing (though it does sound pretty OP), isn't that just crippling the value of territory I want to conquer anyway? Or is razing just for neighboring territory you have no desire to own yourself. Looking at the form Mughals decision, do I need to reform the government first, or is it enough to simply conquer the required provinces? What areas are worth expanding into and which aren't worth it? Definitely wanna blob into all of India and start colonizing the Indies. Is colonizing the Cape worthwhile, or can I just funnel all the trade into India instead? Conquering into the Middle East a good idea, or not worth it? Looks like going northward into the steppe would be kinda a waste of time. Anyway, appreciate any input, thanks.

I did this last patch and had a lot of fun with it.

I didn't pop Persia out, I just increased autonomy on the poorer provinces and manually kept the other provinces complacent. If you can luck into an unrest adviser he's worth clinging to.

Razing is really good and was worth doing on pretty much every province you take; I'm not sure if that holds up anymore. When I played I started by taking the mission for the six provinces in India, I beat up the minors you get claims and took all their provinces, razed them, and returned whatever I didn't need for the mission. That's probably an even better idea now with razing causing unrest. You only need cores on the required provinces and 600 development total, so eating all of Dehli and the Central Doab province is likely enough to get you there and to a more stable government form. Once you flip though you can't raze anymore, but you're right that the only lands worth razing are really to the east and you get permanent claims on all of them. If you're low on admin though raze even the stuff you have to core, dropping the development makes it a lot cheaper to core the lands you take.

When I did this I decided to go for the Silk Road achievement. I expanded into India and grabbed all my permanent claims, made obscene amounts of money off of trade, then turned around and attacked the Ottomans for their silk provinces, only to finally turn around again and smash Ming. I didn't go for any colonizing, but I did expand into the Middle East early (after I flipped to Mughals and was waiting for truces to tick down in India) to grab the entirety of the Persian node. I never felt like I was missing anything by ignoring the Cape.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arrath posted:

Is it just me or is uniting Japan easier as one of the little guys rather than starting as Japan?

Maybe I'm just annoyed because I keep running into problems, like Useugi taking Takeda's gold mine when I was 3 months from diplo-annexing Takeda or getting dogpiled by 3 of the bigger vassals in an independence war. :argh:

It's really easy as Japan. Enforce peace on anyone attacking without allies and annex them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I did it! Albania or Iberia is complete! :dance:

The last war was very anti-climactic. Just had to grab Madiera off of Morocco. Took two more wars with France after my war against them over my PU of Poland. Really once I got Poland under a PU the game was over. The Ottomans fell behind on military tech and were a complete joke to rout again and again. France was never really able to stand up to me again because I stripped off Austria as an ally during the War of Polish Succession.

Europe ended up kinda interesting though. Obviously there's my continent-spaning empire, but Brandenburg has done very well for itself, even if the Dutch are starting to eat into their holdings outside of Prussia. I'm also shocked by how bad Muscovy did. No one ever really bothered with them, but they haven't expanded east at all and are still Muscovy instead of Russia.

Achievement proof:

That has to be one of the more challenging achievement runs I've done. I was close to annihilation a few times but managed to pull it out. France grabbing half of Spain really delayed me and made things a challenge. Plus the War of Polish Succession I had was some of the most fun I've had in an EU4 game. Anyone else here ever do Albania or Iberia? According to the Steam stats it's a rarer achievement than a world conquest (0.5% have a world conquest, 0.4% have Albania or Iberia).

And any ideas now on what achievement I should tackle that isn't something painful like The Three Mountains?

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 22, 2016

• Locked thread