Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
That's just what happens when you give NA a chance, I suppose.

NtotheTC posted:

Why exactly were the visas denied? is america just really strict on who they let in (even temporarily) or is this bad team management in terms of not getting the right paperwork in?

I guessing it's a bit of both, mostly the former underscored heavily by Mongolia being less industrialized and wealthy, making it hard to convince officials that they will quietly go back to their country afterwards when they could instead take up much bigger opportunities here, e-sports or not. Also the current political situation (terrorists! illegal mexican immigrants! oh no!) is not helping any. Hopefully it means that locations for future events will be picked with more care (not NA), it sucks to lose out on the spot because of something practically out of their control.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

NtotheTC posted:

Why exactly were the visas denied? is america just really strict on who they let in (even temporarily) or is this bad team management in terms of not getting the right paperwork in?

From the HLTV article:

quote:

The Mongolian team were due to fight for a spot at the upcoming major after winning the Asia Minor Championship, only to be refused entry on the grounds of not being able to provide enough evidence that the players would return home after the tournament.

TheMongolz's visa application has twice been refused, and with the US embassy in Mongolia not taking visa appointments on Wednesday, the team's hopes of attending the event have gone up in smoke.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Embassy statement:

Most western and northern european countries have an easy time visiting the US due to being part of the visa waiver program that allows you to stay in the US for a set amount of time without having to apply for an actual visa. If you are not from one of these countries, you need to apply for a non-immigrant visa, which is often a tough proposition due to strict immigration policies- and as has been said, if you can't provide ample proof that you intend to return home after the event or whatever reason you have for visiting the US, you're not unlikely to be poo poo out of luck. If e-sports had more general recognition as ~real sports~ this would be much less of an issue

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Printing out any front page article from the New York Times should provide ample proof for the embassy that no one in their right mind would actually want to stay in the USA for good

smdh

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If they're smart they'll just fly here to Canada and then go down to the states just like all your terrorists.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Rip mongolz stickers, I was gonna hoard those

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I had a dream that I tried to do a pop flash irl. Not sure why.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The only cs dream I've ever had was the cs-equivalent of the one where you're trying to run from a lion or smth but you can't get off the spot

in my dream my sens was too low so I couldn't ever move it fast enough to hit a moving target

e: moral of the story is turn up ur sens

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 23, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Maguro posted:

I added you too.

I was gn3 before the derank fest, after my first loss it brought me down to gn2. Now my rank has gone inactive for the last month and a half since I've only been playing community comp. When I do finally play MM again it will probably put me at silver 2 or some poo poo.

Welcome to my personal Hell. :unsmigghh:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

What's going to happen to Mongolz spot in the major? Is the runner up just going to get in?

Pretty disappointing. The few matches I saw them play were entertaining as hell.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

symbolic posted:

I ran 70-80 frames on average at, like, 10 ping. I feel like my framerate is one of the reasons why I have trouble, but I also have really lovely reaction time and hand-eye coordination. I cannot trace a moving target to save my life, nor aim at a head from a distance more than, say, d2 b window to tunnels exit. I've tried forcing myself, but even then my body just works against me. 'Tis the life I lead.

Try mixing up your posture and wrist anchoring technique. I've switched between mostly wrist movements, to resting my whole arm on the desk and pivoting mostly off my elbow, to letting my arm hang off the edge of the desk sitting more forward facing but still using my elbow as the pivot. Every time I mix it up, I am able to increase mouse sensitivity a bit which helps overall aiming and movement a lot. I started playing with really REALLY low sens, like a 22in 360. I've worked my way back up to around an 18in 360 by just changing my posture and practicing.

The thing I struggle with is being primed to fire. In DM or 1v1 servers, I'm running around looking for the shot. In MM I'm holding angles and focusing on my placement along with the team's, and I'm often caught off guard when I need to shoot. I even get that way when clearing corners too quickly. I'll look right over a guy and start moving to the next spot and go "oh poo poo," before trying to correct back and getting owned. That might come down to poor reflexes overall, I dunno.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

New nuke is interesting, I actually had fun playing that dumb map with all of its changes.

The other maps though? :negative:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

New nuke is interesting, I actually had fun playing that dumb map with all of its changes.

I think Santorini's mid needs a lot of work but overall it's pretty good. Same thing with Royal. Coast and Nuke feel really busy with the former having so many goddamn angles to clear.

Mikla would be fun as well if the van was just parked further up mid. I guess overall I'm enjoying this operation far more than most.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
So what map do you guys think will be bumped out of the active map pool by nuke

My gut tells me it's inferno, but my heart wants to believe dust2

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

symbolic posted:

I ran 70-80 frames on average at, like, 10 ping. I feel like my framerate is one of the reasons why I have trouble, but I also have really lovely reaction time and hand-eye coordination. I cannot trace a moving target to save my life, nor aim at a head from a distance more than, say, d2 b window to tunnels exit. I've tried forcing myself, but even then my body just works against me. 'Tis the life I lead.

Honestly, make sure you're not psyching yourself out. I often go through spells of just suddenly being completely unable to aim. Like, one day I'll be clicking nothing but heads and the next I can't hit the side of a barn. I swear it's down to a mental block, but I've gone through all sorts of "maybe if I change my entire mouse position/new mousemat/new mouse/play upsidedown" before realising I just needed to sit down, play a load of DM/Aim map until my head cleared and then get back into it.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Inferno for sure

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

My gut tells me it's inferno, but my heart wants to believe dust2

Hm yeah let's get rid of the best map ever made sounds good.

Oh wait oh god that's what valve is actually thinking right now isn't it :gonk:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome Welles posted:

Yeah I love newke and hate most of the other maps. Santorini in particular I loathe.

Dongicus posted:

Inferno for sure

Inferno is so much better than these garbage maps though.

I would say lose Cobble, Overpass, or Cache. Between those I'd pick Cobble.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Awesome Welles posted:

Hm yeah let's get rid of the best map ever made sounds good.

it'd probably still be one of the most queued maps even outside of the active map pool so people with a hankering to play the same map they've been playing since 2001 would probably not have to go without, but for tournament play it's actually really bad & boring and has been played to death and you never see anything new on it

I love inferno and it's probably my favorite map, but it has a lot of the same problems dd2 has in that most matches play out the same and could probably stand to be changed a bit, especially super chokepoints like banana

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 23, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Inferno needs to be cleaned up a lot. It's way too cluttered. I don't think any choke points need to be changed (other than maybe the columns on banana).

Though at the same time it would be cool to see whoever did all of the nuke changes try their hand at Inferno.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, to be fair Dust2 is an amazing map, it's just difficult to separate it and the twazzocks that play it 24/7

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Someone found textures in the update file that included materials labeled "/inferno/", much like the newke files labeled with "/nuke/". I wholly expect to see Inferno removed from active duty and reworked.

In which case, goodby old friend. You will not be the same. :smith:

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I kind of hope that they decide to work on overpass more, it has a cool aesthetic but its so very ct-sided still. I just prefer playing as to to ct. But if they went by saving aesthetics that I think are cool they would have done something/anything with aztec a long time ago and cobble would have never made it to the game. Also Season would be in the main map pool

I can see why they would swap out inferno though just because the banana dynamic is stagnant as hell and its also ct-sided but I actually like playing it a lot because the badge and eaglemen don't throw 4-5 smokes into banana every round so its never as tedious as some pro-games can be.

Dust 2 will never die though. Never ever. For like probably half the playerbase that map is csgo.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 23, 2016

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

I love inferno and it's probably my favorite map, but it has a lot of the same problems dd2 has in that most matches play out the same and could probably stand to be changed a bit, especially super chokepoints like banana

If the crate at the end of banana was removed the map would be so much more interesting.

That said Nuke still completely sucks and if anything should replace a map it should be Royal :getin:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Coast is possibly the biggest clusterfuck of a map I've ever played

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Backalley remains the only good cs_ map to have existed

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Inferno's one of my favorite maps, but I admit it could use a makeover. I wouldn't mind nuke taking its place while that happens. Having a lot of fun on the new map :)

Nobody knows how the hell to play nuke yet. I've seen both Ts and CTs get up to 11 rounds at LEM rank.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

metallicaeg posted:

Backalley remains the only good cs_ map to have existed
...Office.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

https://gfycat.com/VeneratedThornyAmazonparrot

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
This is for anyone saying the UMP is a bad gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPbI8I8dbec

They're right.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I see nothing wrong with your aim here

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

...Office.

That's a weird way to spell Estate.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Inferno gets remove so the devs can spend 8 months reworking grill so the bomb doesnt fall into the embarrassing unrecoverable cranny and screw the Ts over.

Also I guess people keep forgetting that Agency exists and is excellent

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Unbound posted:

This is for anyone saying the UMP is a bad gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPbI8I8dbec

They're right.

who said the ump was a bad gun fella

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I had $5 on VP and I am very happy with this result.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

I had $5 on VP and I am very happy with this result.

I'm glad that was the one game I actually watched today.

\/ All of those teams except Faze and maybe Navi have been playing better than 'normal' though. No shame in losing to good teams. Not like they're loving C9 or something :allears:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 23, 2016

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
VP playing out of their minds on mirage right now, they could've actually won this comeback if I hadn't just cursed them by making this post

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Inferno needs the god drat boost spot at the tree in B site back ASAP

I miss my treehouse and catching T's offguard when they rush banana :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBvfktXuyBs