Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna go back in time and convince Togashi to include the line "Some nen abilities can fall under multiple types" in Wing's initial explanation just so we never have to have this argument again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jose posted:

binolt? i mean the rest i get even if its not explicity stated and alluka is just weird all around but none were combat focused other than kurapica really

His eat hair and discover everything about you is pretty similar to Pakunadas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bad Seafood posted:

Gonna go back in time and convince Togashi to include the line "Some nen abilities can fall under multiple types" in Wing's initial explanation just so we never have to have this argument again.

you should go to togashi now and convince him to finish the series instead imo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I think it's important to set realistic goals.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm going to emit this thread out of my bookmarks if I have to read these loving nen arguments again.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's this about fake nen?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

What's this about fake nen?

Because Nen can be turned into dangerous weapons, it must not be taught to outsiders carelessly. For that reason, some Nen masters devised a fake set of Four Fundamentals in which the real Nen terms are either replaced by homophones or are explained incorrectly, for example, the true Nen (念 lit. mind [force]) is replaced by the fake Nen (燃 lit. inflame). Nonetheless, these fake techniques are useful for mind training and therefore Nen users can still benefit from them[5]

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Upon his introduction, Wing taught Killua and Gon a fake sense of Nen that focuses mostly on meditation and on one's self.[6] This method does not require any aura and has no visible effect; however, after Gon was injured by Gido and forbidden to use Nen for two months to recover by Wing, both Gon and Killua practiced this method,[7] and in fact made it more natural for them to use regular Nen. Given that Nen is linked to emotions and mental state, this method can be particularly useful to train Nen without aura, although normal use of technique is usually preferred.[8]

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nen of the Flame
Nen of the Flame (燃, Nen) is sometimes used in Shingen-ryū kung fu as a precursor to learning the actual Nen. They are mental exercises akin to meditation that strengthen one's force of will. Regular practice can smooth the flow of one's aura. The Four Exercises of Nen of the Flame are as follows:
Ten (点, Point): Focus the mind, reflect upon the self and determine the goal.
Zetsu (舌, Tongue): Put it into words.
Ren (錬, Temper): Intensify your will.
Hatsu (発, Release): Put it to action.[6]

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's the chapter featuring fake nen and also real nen.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hunter-x-Hunter/46?id=17060

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Thanks for the info everyone. Didn't mean to start a nanomachines debate. I just wondered because they looked real, and we just discovered his type is conjugation. I didn't know if conjured stuff looked real or if it was more like, say, conjured weapons in skyrim or something.

Ps- these shadow beast guys are creepy as all get out. Annnd leech just lost his face.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Conjuring means using your nen to create (and dismiss) objects with a certain amount of permanence and physicality - as well as typically some other special function.

Even people who can't use nen can still perceive and touch conjured objects as though they were real.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

If you were Goreinu, could you carry around Black Goreinu in a box then use him to swap a different person into the box?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jose posted:

binolt? i mean the rest i get even if its not explicity stated and alluka is just weird all around but none were combat focused other than kurapica really

chrollo's, leol's, and meleonron's are probably about as combat relevant as emperor time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"masters every nen category" isn't really strictly combat focused either. kurapika happens to use that strictly for combat, but he most certainly doesn't have to. there's plenty of noncombat nen abilities that i'm sure would benefit greatly from the "is really good at nen" powerup.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pewdiepie posted:

If you were Goreinu, could you carry around Black Goreinu in a box then use him to swap a different person into the box?

I don't see why not. I think he could handle anyone who would be beaten by that without it though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ninjewtsu posted:

"masters every nen category" isn't really strictly combat focused either. kurapika happens to use that strictly for combat, but he most certainly doesn't have to. there's plenty of noncombat nen abilities that i'm sure would benefit greatly from the "is really good at nen" powerup.

He doesn't use it only for combat, actually; in the current arc he used it with his Dowsing Chain, for example.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

God drat, that was an awesome moment when the troupe discovered Gon and Killua. Just all around tense as hell.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Re: Nen argument, I wonder the sort of brutal/creative things people would be doing with Nen if people were smart in the real way and not in the anime way. Not sure how many of you have read the Worm web novel, but I reminded on the MC's lament that she could do so much more creative things if she had everyone else's access to crazy powers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

jon joe posted:

Re: Nen argument, I wonder the sort of brutal/creative things people would be doing with Nen if people were smart in the real way and not in the anime way. Not sure how many of you have read the Worm web novel, but I reminded on the MC's lament that she could do so much more creative things if she had everyone else's access to crazy powers.

Eh, I get the impression that in HxH, the "world" sorta knows how effective abilities are and anything that is ridiculously effective would intrinsically have a ton of limitations associated with it. It's not the sort of thing where abilities just take mana to cast or something; you can just either do a thing or you can't do it, unrelated to any sort of energy expenditure.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think potclean is a very clever ability regardless of what standard you measure it by.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

jon joe posted:

I haven't read the Worm novel, so I'm not sure if you're referring only to combat or just generally.

The Index/Railgun series, though, do that to some extent.
Railgun (minor/early spoilers):

Like, there's baseline power levels, but Misaka only became a level 5 when she learned her railgun trick, and all of the Accelerator/Level 6 project stuff basically revolved around "Put the guy into enough situations that he can figure out a way to literally destroy the world".

Clearly, there's economic uses for any sort of power if that's what you mean, but it seems like Nen-training attracts the sort of person who is prone to combat.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

This show is so weird. Greed island is like its own series but with the same characters.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I've been gone seven weeks. Where's the new chapter?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Stairmaster posted:

I've been gone seven weeks. Where's the new chapter?

Look for it around the return of Haley's Comet.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Gyges posted:

Look for it around the return of Haley's Comet.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Kingtheninja posted:

This show is so weird. Greed island is like its own series but with the same characters.

This applies to every ark post-Yorknew City

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HerraS posted:

This applies to every ark post-Yorknew City

And Heaven's Arena. Hell, in the context of the whole series the Hunter exam is also this on account of how different the feel of everything is there.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

I thought that was already a thing. Like didn't Wing say that Castro needed to use conjuration and manipulation to use his clone power?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Akett posted:

I thought that was already a thing. Like didn't Wing say that Castro needed to use conjuration and manipulation to use his clone power?

That's using two types at once to activate one ability. Seafood means that you can do the same thing with either of two types of New abilities.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kytrarewn posted:

That's using two types at once to activate one ability. Seafood means that you can do the same thing with either of two types of New abilities.

You can do that too.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

You can, as is demonstrated several times in the series proper, but that still won't stop legalists from insisting on sharp, strict, definitive divisions just because the power system appears regimented on a surface reading.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you can try again

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some day a university will offer a course on Hunter x Hunter nen.

edit: The exam will have questions like "Your natural nen type is Emission. Which of the following 4 abilities would be you be well suited to?"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Some day a university will offer a course on Hunter x Hunter nen.

edit: The exam will have questions like "Your natural nen type is Emission. Which of the following 4 abilities would be you be well suited to?"

The true answer is to use your emission power to blow up your exam sheet because Hunter exams are all about seeing the true question behind the fake one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, could an enhancer use Nen to enhance his/her brain to the point of super genius?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

Actually, could an enhancer use Nen to enhance his/her brain to the point of super genius?

No, because that would make for a boring character.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

What do you think Pariston is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

A beautiful dick