Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
C. By the great emperor, i shall persevere and our vengence for the death of the great enemy shall be grand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
C. Pray to ourself. Gods are powered by prayer, and while one dwarf might not be much, we have to start somewhere.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

B

Walkabout

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
A - Count the likely amount of glittering gold that could be waiting for us if we Cleanse the Warren, Complete the Quest, and Sell the Slime. All that wealth within reach. All we need to do is pull ourselves together!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

MATH will sooth the pains.
https://youtu.be/UIKGV2cTgqA

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 26, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Waci posted:

C. Pray to ourself. Gods are powered by prayer, and while one dwarf might not be much, we have to start somewhere.

C. Praying to yourself to deliver yourself from your own pain is pretty baller.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

change to pray self

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Follow the Crumbs
The Time Between This Moment and That

Exhale....

You leave the pain behind, your body twitching in the care of your companions. Time slows down, at least for them. You soar.

Leaving your body was easy. All too easy. Instinctively you turn to look at your cord, and you notice it is frayed. Thinner than ever. It's a wonder you are staying attached at all, but attached you are.

You look away. Try to ignore the gentle tug for now. All too gentle. The world soon takes a muted tone, the familiar sepia, and as it does your friends disappear from view. For a moment you consider the nature of divinity.
Surely, this thing-beyond-life must be the realm of gods? Yet none are here. You are alone. Does that mean? Wait... your new senses tingle. The atmosphere shifts once more.

You are in a dark and lonesome underground. You feel a looming presence beside you, wholly alien. It is cold.

You feel warmth beneath you, muted.

You feel dozens of.... you feel nothing.

You feel the tiniest of tugs. Your cord.

You feel a multitude of tugs of various strengths. All directions, except up or down.

You feel weak. Locked in place.

You know that you may focus.
You know you can't go far.

1:
What do you do?

A: Inspect your cord.

B: Inspect the Alien Presence.

C: Inspect the muted Warmth, beneath you.

D: Inspect the

E: Accept the gentlest tug, go back to your body.

F: Inspect the other tugs. Some you may follow, some are too far away.

You have [-01] crumbs remaining.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

C - Let's make sure our man is still there.

Also we're totally gonna die.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

B

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Can we tell which of the presences may be the slime? CONTROL THE SLIME. Or befriend.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

B

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

A - inspect and fix

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

hollylolly posted:

A - inspect and fix

Yeah, this or get back into body.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

E get back to our body ASAP

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
This feels like a "Do you wanna die? Y/N" kinda vote.

Except I'm not sure if A or E ar ethe survive option. If we go inspect the cord we may be able to tether ourselves more strongly to our body, assuming that right now we are "our soul" or something like that.

Anyway, E

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A, inspect and fix. We need to go back soon, but we also need to do it safely.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
You are a frayed knot.
In the time between breaths.

Unsure of what to do, you drift in the darkness. Many different impressions pass you by, loving warmth and sickly cold.
A presence is flaring at your side, so you withdraw deeper into yourself, to find shelter, to hide. To figure out what is wrong.

From your body into nothingness a thin blue cord is taut. You follow it, straining, for its pull is too weak to drag you in.

Coming to a stop somewhere in the middle, if such a thing can even be said to exist, you findfeel a weakness in the structure.

Ever so slowly, it is knitting itself back together.
Somehow you realize that it might not be enough.
You are weak. Travelling will be difficult.
You are alone.
You are not alone.

---

1:
How do you want to go about fixing this?

A: I don't.
Let it heal with time.
Don't expend any energy.

B: Cry out for attention.
Maybe something will hear you, find you.
Help you.

C: Cry out for attention from [Insert Entity Here].
The Gods? The Emperor? Someone else? Something else?
Write-in.

D: Inspect the nearest tug.
Travelling will take some time. Maybe it's worth it?

E: Inspect the warmest tug I can reach.
Travelling will take more time. Maybe it's worth it?

F: I can do this on my own!
Okay, but how?
Write-in.

You have [-02 crumbs remaining]

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

F. Pray self

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

F: Tie a directional figure 8 knot, isolating the weakness in a loop.

Then keep following the rope if the pull is still too weak.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

HBar posted:

This

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

HBar posted:

Do this

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

HBar posted:

+1

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
F.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

HBar posted:

definitely this

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

HBar posted:

Hah, immediately thought of this as well.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

HBar posted:

A delightfully dorfish way to deal with the issue. I approve.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Shan Arban Ág-Duthnur

The sounds of heavy footsteps echoed throughout Tukatt Hold, the mountain fortress that had forever been your home. Along the walls, giant slabs displaying the names of your ancestors.
Statues and engravings showing their greatest deeds, their desires. Your legacy.

You where sat with many others of your age and kind, facing someone whose words where heavy and deliberate, yet kind and careful. As if every word was weighed individually, lest they cause undue harm.

“These things you must always remember. The things that bind our world together. From the Empire itself, to its cities and fountains.
From the tools of your trade, to the hearths in our mountain. From the simplest of knot to the most difficult conquest.
These amongst others, your life they protect.

He raises a bit of rope from his desk, and all eyes are upon him.

“Nizdast Eral, Esmul Lűk.”

And the memory fades, replaced by the light.

---

The Mine
Month 2, week three, day six
Night?

"hey boss, welcome back to the land of the living." says the bright young duckling whom you met about a week ago, but whom has already risked life and limb for your cause.
"Was a bit worried there when you started vomiting blue gas, but it seems to have settled itself! How do you feel?"

You give yourself a good once-over. Take inventory of yourself, as it where.
You feel weird. Your shoulder smarts as if you had strained it in training. Your upper left torso is a mass of scars, but they look old. Your vision is noticeably worse. Spots dance in front of your eyes.
Your stomach grumbles, feels twisted. But other than that, you feel fine. You can't really see where you are, so you ask Abigail how long you where out.

"Hasn't been more than a minute sir, I think the boys have finished up in the cave over there, although the lake started rumbling alarmingly ever since my torch went out.
I, uh. Had to use it. You where bleeding out. Seems to have worked though! Johakim agrees don't you?"

"ye..."

"see? Told you, its fine! Skvababt says the noises from further down are getting closer but she hasn't seen any 'bolds yet. "

The next familiar face you see is Tommys.

"Wotcher." "Nasty sting on those critters, eh? Good to see you up and about. We got all of them, was easy enough when that last archer was downed.
The lakes acting all kinds of weird though, only two torches left alight inside. Kobolds got to the rest. What d'yo reckon we should do about it?"

You ask if they've tried re-lighting the ones that the kobolds took. Tommy shakes his head. "Nah, we just got done in there."

Abigail interjects. "Yeah uh, I tried re-lightning the one I took. Uhm. Flint and tinder doesn't cut it. The torch is still sticky with whatever its coated with, I guess sparks just don't get hot enough?
Maybe if we use one of the ones already lit?"

---

1: The lake might be a giant slime.
The two remaining Ultra-Bright torches that are lit are not enough to cover the lake completely, and it's starting to rumble alarmingly.
You have four unlit torches and the corridor you are in holds torch-scones which must until recently have held others.
It is reasonable to assume there are more, and even some way to light them somewhere further down into the mine.
Still, the problem (if there is one) seems pretty pressing. What do you do?

A: Plan Abigail
Try re-lighting the torches using the ones that are still lit. Hope they last long enough to complete the mission. Aside from standing here staring at them, there is no real way to tell.

B: Plan Ignore It
Two torches should be enough right? Lets just continue on.

C: Plan Let Loose the Kraken!!
Extinguish the remaining torches. Run. Where?
Note that for your contract to be successful, all hostiles in the mine will have to be eliminated or neutralized. Note that should the Slime (if one exists) be Grüw property, killing it would make you liable for reparations.

D: Something else?
Other ideas on how to light the torches or what to do with the torches go here.

---

2: There have been some voices raised in favour of some good old fashioned spirit-raising.
This temporary lull seems as good as any to re-organize, plan your next move and perhaps give some advice, give credit where it is due or admonish where improvement is needed.
In particular, there have been calls to praise the conduct of both Skvababt and Abigail, yet all members of ITEC are on the menu for whatever words you have to share.
What do you want to say to your team?

E: Write in.

F: Nothing, lets move on!

---

3: What now?

G: Write-in.

---

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “Ye sure yer alright cousin? Nasty kobol' kept dodgin' all me arrers! Tha' torchlight didnaé help either.”
Tommy: “Should do somethin' about the lake. You said it was a slime right?”
Khami: "Do not linger overlong; we know not what traps are set before us."
Johakim: “That's right weird that is, it's like you were never hurt at all!” “Aside from the horrible scarring.”
Konnie: “I reckon the torches can't last all day, they must keep a stockpile somewhere nearby.
Abigail: "Lets keep going! We've already killed like two dozen, how many more can there be?"
Skvababt: "Mhm. I'm glad your alright mr. Ironscript. Wouldn't want our fearless leader to be struck down, just as things where getting exciting.

---

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is Okay, the mood is worried.
You are unhurt? Your stomach is grumbling. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your shoulder smarts.] [You feel weird.] [You are inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, not hungry and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [05 kills] [01 assist]
Tommy: Is Slightly Hurt, not hungry and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [04 kills] [01 assist]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, slightly hungry and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally] [2 assists]
Konnie: Is Healthy, not hungry and moderately rested. Fights with daggers. [06 kills]
Abigail: Is Hurt. She is hungry and she is experiencing the beginning of fatigue. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [01 kills] [02 assists] [Has one of her arms in a splint.]
Johakim: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Avoids fighting, tends to wounds. [01 assist]
Skvababt: Is Healthy, stuffed and well rested. Fights with a longbow. [03 kills] [02 assists]

All in all, you have defeated [020] out of [024] Kobolds you have seen thus far.

[Bonus Tactical Information]
You suspect Skvababt suffers from some sort of phobia or condition that limits her ranged acumen in tight quarters / underground.

Kobolds are individually weak and seem to prefer weapons that give them range or reach to make up for this fact, as well as utilizing traps or ambushes.

You are aware of a “sticky door trap”.

You have very strong reasons to believe that the lake in the cavern behind you is in actual fact a giant slime, which is about to wake up and kill you all.
You have reason to believe it shuns the light of the ultra-bright torches, of which only two are still lit and keeping it at bay.

You have access to [016] piles of Kobold Equipment, which you may salvage for plausible parts for your hearts desire.

You have access to [04] Unlit Ultra-Bright Torches.

You have [01] Ethereal RimRose Cupcake(s) in your pack, with several others back at headquarters.

You have [-02] crumbs remaining.

code:
 \_____ LEVEL CLEAR
    \
      \ PIT TRAP [BYPASSED]
        X______  <- you are here. LEVEL CLEAR  (unless there is a giant slime)
         \
           \K______  <- A group of kobolds are running deeper into the mine.
             \
               \______
                 \
                   \______  <- According to your vision, the prisoner might be on this level.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Well gently caress, we just cut tied our lifeline short.

On the positive side if we can heal it somehow then we could splice in a longer bit from someone else then unknot the knot and extend our life. And be a dwarven necromancer.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

[b]1. A
2. Good job, guys. Really great.
3. Relight torches, then do further into the mine?/b]

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

If we can't get the other torches lit immediately, do we have anything metallic or lens-like we could use to try and shine light on other parts of the slime temporarily to buy time?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Let the light slime on me

There Bias Two posted:

If we can't get the other torches lit immediately, do we have anything metallic or lens-like we could use to try and shine light on other parts of the slime temporarily to buy time?

You have access to [016] piles of Kobold Equipment, which you may salvage for plausible parts for your hearts desire.

You also have your own equipment which includes regular, low-light torches as well as extra oil, rope and whatever else an adventurer requires in their day to day business.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Try to relight the supertorches, if that doesn't work use regular torches. Either from the walls or our own stock. If we use ours replace them with torches made out of kobold equipment. Use enough regular torches until the lake is as still as when we first saw it. Don't send the whole team to do this, someone needa tk stay with Skavbat just in case. Ourselves, Joakhim and Abigail I guess. Two guys go with supertorches, the rest with regular ones to provide back up.

poo poo, the eyesight thing is a real drawback for combat situations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1: D - Ten minute plan.

This plan should take about ten minutes to carry out. Team A will try plan Abigail, Team B will gather stuff for a bonfire later, Team C will perform support roles.

Team A: Kvelar and ourselves will try plan Abigail. If you can light a candle with a candle, you can light a torch with a torch. This should be instantaneous but it might require experimentation. We'll also ask the others for ideas if we get stumped. If that fails we'll just have to hope the bonfire existing torches are bright enough to hold the slime monster.

Team B: Have the brothers work together to gather Kobald crap. If they find any of the special torches, bring them to us for relighting. If any of it looks valuable put it to the side. Otherwise put the Kobald crap (and bodies if applicable) together so it can form a big bonfire in front of the entrance to the slime room. in case we can find a later use for it.

(Edit: I've been reminded that CO2 poisoning is indeed a thing in this setting, but I still want to gently caress with the slime monster. Then again if this is owned by the mine...)

Team C: Have Khami watch out for the slime in case it starts moving towards us. Skvababt watches the rear alongside Abigail. Abigail breaks out enough rations for everyone to have a light snack. We give a quick inspirational speech before we proceed down to the next mine level.

---

2: E - Talking time!

Everyone:

"I should probably save this for later, but I'm amazed at the unique capabilities each one of you has brought to this team. It's an honor to fight alongside you.

"I'd like to address Abigail in particular. It was risky and irresponsible of me to take you along just because you insisted. But if you hadn't come along I'd have bleed to death. Thank you. We'll talk about your role in the team after we complete this mission."

One on One:

Cousin:

"I think I just traded probably dying now for definitely dying several years early. I'll have to explain later."

Abigail:

"You're quick on your feet. I'll be glad to have you in my company. I need to tell you this in advance. If you join us we'll all be invested in you becoming a highly skilled member of the team. But in the meantime you'll do less front-line fighting and more grunt work than the others. Are you still interested?"

Skvababt:

My take is we'll be very precise with Skvababt, but we'll speak a bit bit slow and halting, as if we aren't sure of what we're saying.

"This environment seems to be distressing you. I am sorry that you have to go through it. I'm glad you are here though because you are vital to the team and because I am very fond of you."

Blushing is optional.

3: Form an attack team and a base camp.

Attack team: Ourselves, our cousin, and the brothers form a team that descends downwards one level at a time. If we can light the torches with other torches then we should take one or two with us. We clear a level, hastily loot things, and return to base camp. We inform the others of what we saw, how we're doing, if we need to make any changes to the plan, etc.

Base camp: We can't take Skvababt down any further with us. Abigail can't fight with one arm. So someone with melee skills needs to stay behind with them. It may as well be Khami. Skvababt and Khami will be on the lookout for threats, Abigail will tend the fire or fires. (I'm guessing a campfire is okay even if a bonfire isn't)

Base camp is instructed to head to safe ground if the slime monster is getting too close or if they're being attacked by too many Kobolds to defend against safely. Hopefully the monster won't be an issue even if the lights don't work. It should be slow because it's very big and sticky.

Edit: I keep noticing typos, etc. Ugh. Should just go to bed already.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 3, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Edit: In retrospect I should have just edited in part 3 rather than make a new post.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 3, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Plan RandomPaul

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Theantero posted:

Plan RandomPaul

Sounds good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
A Kobold Stole this Update and put it on the next page.
-->

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 6, 2016