Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Ferret King posted:

Ok. But where exactly do you think your are RIGHT now?

poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

General_Failure posted:

Paging Jeep people.

1995 Jeep Cheroke XJ 4.0L auto.

It needs a LH engine mount. The rubber is knackered and it was one of the items it failed inspection on. Is this the correct mount?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MACKAY-LH-ENGINE-MOUNT-JEEP-CHEROKEE-XJ-1993-1995-4-0L-A5305-/141857107987

Looks like the same part that is in Rockauto.com's catalog, and the same style in my 2000 TJ. Save yourself some time and headache and replace both sides up there while you do the one. They should be cheap parts. Or not, that AU$ price looks menacing. Is stuff really that expensive over there? I can get a whole (both sides and transmission) for under US$30.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 24, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm trying to tidy up the USB cables so my car DVR USB cable isn't dangling all over the place, anyone have good recommendations? I tried some cable clips but the included sticky tape doesn't really stick and I'm worried it'll leave a residue. I considered using cable clips secured with Command Strips but I assume the strips won't do well in a hot car or on the plastic surface. Any suggestions?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Velcro or zip ties.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

EightBit posted:

Looks like the same part that is in Rockauto.com's catalog, and the same style in my 2000 TJ. Save yourself some time and headache and replace both sides up there while you do the one. They should be cheap parts. Or not, that AU$ price looks menacing. Is stuff really that expensive over there? I can get a whole (both sides and transmission) for under US$30.

That was the cheapest I could find by a decent margin, not that there were all that many options.

I actually thought the price wasn't that bad. Yes AU prices for parts are generally horrifying. Thanks for the feedback though. I'm only going to be replacing the one for now. I still need to find an indicator lens for the Jeep branded roo bar :( Not sure but maybe ARB style will fit?

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.

InitialDave posted:

These are the dash buttons from a Series 4 Lotus Esprit:

Anyone know what car they were partsbinned from?

Rover SD1, I think.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

How horrible of an idea is to use stop leak on a radiator? Car ('05 GTO) has under 60k miles but the drat radiator has a leak hidden somewhere under all the other crap around it. It's an intermittent leak too--if I drive easy on it I don't notice anything, but after longer drives I'll see wetness on the bottom of the radiator and drips of coolant from underneath the car. I've spent weeks trying to track it down but just can't find it without ripping it all out (which I don't have the time to do right now). I've at least ruled out the simple stuff like hoses, coolant overflow tank, etc. These cars are known for having poo poo radiators and GM apparently shipped them from the factory with stop leak pellets in the coolant (gives you a sludgy brown junk on the coolant level dipstick, right from the factory).

Would I really regret it if I put in a can of Bar's stop leak as a last ditch attempt to give me more time? The problem is I have to echeck the car next week and the battery has been unhooked for a while so it needs to be driven a few hundred miles to get the OBD readiness flags set. However I don't want to drive it hundreds of miles with a coolant leak. I know stop leak isn't a permanent fix and I'm going to have to replace the radiator soon and flush the whole system, however I'm hoping I can get a few more months of time with it. As far as the water pump goes I replaced it at 40k miles because it was leaking like crazy from its weep hole. So I know the pump is in good shape and not a rusty ticking timebomb that the stopleak might screw up.

Is the main area of coolant leaking happening around the far side of the radiator? The sealant that joins the plastic to the aluminum core loves to give out on GM radiators along with the plastic cracking and failing. Sometimes causing it to shoot hot water and coolant 2-3 feet in front of the vehicle while traveling at highway speeds! If it is the plastic side tanks causing the leaks, Bars leak won't do poo poo to help it. If its a crack, some JBweld plastic weld MIGHT be able to patch it enough you can drive it enough to get whatever you need done on it. If its the seal, you're stuck swapping it out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Knobjockey posted:

Rover SD1, I think.
Unfortunately not, that was my first thought as well, and they aren't quite the same, the SD1 buttons have a bit of a dish to their profile. Montego/Maestro ones aren't quite right either.

I think, based on them owning Lotus at the time, there's a good chance they're from somewhere in the GM family, but God knows that's a big haystack.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Elmnt80 posted:

Is the main area of coolant leaking happening around the far side of the radiator? The sealant that joins the plastic to the aluminum core loves to give out on GM radiators along with the plastic cracking and failing. Sometimes causing it to shoot hot water and coolant 2-3 feet in front of the vehicle while traveling at highway speeds! If it is the plastic side tanks causing the leaks, Bars leak won't do poo poo to help it. If its a crack, some JBweld plastic weld MIGHT be able to patch it enough you can drive it enough to get whatever you need done on it. If its the seal, you're stuck swapping it out.

Yep it's definitely on the side of the radiator near the plastic end. I can't really pin it down though since there's a lot of junk in the way.

However I think the car got a stay of execution from stop leak. I drove it a good 50 miles yesterday and didn't notice any serious leaking. It's still wet around there but not like the 6" puddle after parking that I saw before (that might have been me overfilling the radiator a bit). Will keep an eye on things. Eventually this summer I think I'm just going to have to replace the stupid radiator.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Toyota auris 2012, diesel.
Check engine and vsc off light randomly came on when driving to work and in addition it's weak as poo poo at higher gears. Weather has been really bad lately with a ton of snow and cold weather.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Unfortunately not, that was my first thought as well, and they aren't quite the same, the SD1 buttons have a bit of a dish to their profile. Montego/Maestro ones aren't quite right either.

I think, based on them owning Lotus at the time, there's a good chance they're from somewhere in the GM family, but God knows that's a big haystack.

GM sounds about right, they look a hell of a lot like the buttons in my old man's old 94 Chevy pickup.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

So, how stupid would be selling a 2011 Wrx to buy a 99 Wrx? (Its a type ra 555 limited).

Main reason is that after owning my car for 4 years and having not even a scratch, I've been crashed into twice over the last 4 months (first was between the passenger door and rear wheel and the last one rear ended) so I am going to sell anyway.

Always loved the old impreza styling, and if its in a good shape I fear that I'll own it by next week.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So my sister's car is acting up. Here's the deal:

2006 Honda Civic

When the car is at a stop sign/light the car will start to shake unnaturally and will only stop shaking if the AC is put on max. When the car is in a stop position and the driver starts accelerating , the car will jerk back more than usual. When the car is parked and the engine is running, you can hear the engine but there is this gurgling water sound despite the heat or AC not being on. The sound sounds like it is coming near the passenger side of the car.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Might need to get the air out of your heater core. Also probably engine mounts are shot

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Mom's 2003 eclipse with ~130k miles. All of the sudden simultaneously throwing 3 codes:
P0335 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0340 - Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2)

Bank 2 was running LTFT(according to code reader) of like 15% and STFT of 20% so I feel like P0174 is legitimate.

P0340, though? How is the car even running with a crankshaft position sensor malfunction? And accompanied by P0340 at the same time? Something seems weird here. Anyone see anything like this before?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Has she ever changed the timing belt?

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Yeah, a few times over the years

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CKPs and CMPs do weird random poo poo when they're in the process of loving out.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
My sister had the 2.5L v6 in a sebring that is a variant of the eclipse's motor. There is an issue that kept happening where the distributor that runs of the crankshaft would let oil in through a gasket and cause misfires and engine shutoffs with right turns. Worst placement ever. I'm assuming the 2003 variant of that motor has the same design flaw.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

So my sister's car is acting up. Here's the deal:

2006 Honda Civic

When the car is at a stop sign/light the car will start to shake unnaturally and will only stop shaking if the AC is put on max. When the car is in a stop position and the driver starts accelerating , the car will jerk back more than usual. When the car is parked and the engine is running, you can hear the engine but there is this gurgling water sound despite the heat or AC not being on. The sound sounds like it is coming near the passenger side of the car.

Any other opinions?

Christobevii3 posted:

Might need to get the air out of your heater core. Also probably engine mounts are shot

Thanks.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos
I've got a 2006 mazda 3i at 130,000 miles that has been running great. Recently it has been developing a habit of not going into park and to start it, I have to put the car in neutral (it's an automatic). My research says this may be a neutral safety switch problem. Does anyone have any familiarity with this problem? Or know how to proceed?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
~2000 Corolla
The engine dies when the lights are turned on
Bad alternator? Battery is supposedly June 2014

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Immediately after turning on the lights or does it take a while to run down?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80 posted:

Immediately after turning on the lights or does it take a while to run down?

Immediately after.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Did you have to jumpstart the car to get it to this point?

And do you have a multimeter?

If not, do you have twenty bucks?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh boy maybe I should just buy my friend an account instead of getting info through facebook chat. I guess it is stalling at red lights. I guess the battery has been jumped at least once. Sorry I didn't have this information first!

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Klaus Kinski posted:

Toyota auris 2012, diesel.
Check engine and vsc off light randomly came on when driving to work and in addition it's weak as poo poo at higher gears. Weather has been really bad lately with a ton of snow and cold weather.

Friend has a code reader so he helped me out: P2463 diesel particle filter soot accumulation.
Is there anything I should try before handing it over to a shop?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Rev the piss out of it?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CharlesM posted:

Oh boy maybe I should just buy my friend an account instead of getting info through facebook chat. I guess it is stalling at red lights. I guess the battery has been jumped at least once. Sorry I didn't have this information first!

Sounds like a weak alternator or loose serp belt combined with a near death battery.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In my extremely extensive experience with cars with utterly destroyed batteries, a completely hosed battery will stall the car when you use lights or EPS or AC even if the alternator is mint. Older cars seem to be less vulnerable than newer ones to this phenomenon.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Friend has a code reader so he helped me out: P2463 diesel particle filter soot accumulation.
Is there anything I should try before handing it over to a shop?

Did you change the oil yourself? Someone's been a naughty boy and not used low ash oil; the resulting soot build up has completely clogged your DPF. A halfway decent scan tool (or a toyota intelligent tester) lets you do a DPF burn that sometimes maybe clears the DPF enough to function and then you just change the oil properly.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Slavvy posted:

Did you change the oil yourself? Someone's been a naughty boy and not used low ash oil; the resulting soot build up has completely clogged your DPF. A halfway decent scan tool (or a toyota intelligent tester) lets you do a DPF burn that sometimes maybe clears the DPF enough to function and then you just change the oil properly.

Nope, still the same oil from when I bought it 1.5 years ago from a Toyota dealership. I've barely driven it (5k miles in that time).

Google tells me it may be a hosed sensor or me simply not driving long enough for the dpf to work properly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Nope, still the same oil from when I bought it 1.5 years ago

:stare:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Klaus Kinski posted:

Nope, still the same oil from when I bought it 1.5 years ago from a Toyota dealership. I've barely driven it (5k miles in that time).

Google tells me it may be a hosed sensor or me simply not driving long enough for the dpf to work properly.

It's possible, the DPF has a burn cycle that only initiates when certain conditions are met w.r.t. drive duration, temperature etc. A hosed sensor is...pretty unlikely but possible.

Change your oil though jesus christ.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Recommended oil change is every other year and this one had a full service + oil change when I bought it :shrug:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Quick question about car batteries.

I left my lights on by mistake for roughly 45-60mins only to return to the car being dead\not able to start.

Would this be a sign that the battery should be replaced as it was an hour only or is a this a normal amount of time for a car battery to die out when the lights are left on?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

How old is the battery?

if this was your headlights, that's plenty of time to kill your battery. You could get a jump, drive around for a while to let the alternator charge it up and hope for the best. but the thing is, car batteries aren't designed to be drained deep like that, so it does wear the chemical plates down inside and reduce the battery's service life.

if you can't get it to hold a charge, or if it cranks after you charge it but more slowly than it used to, go ahead and replace it, save yourself the hassle of getting stranded later.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How old is your car? How old is the battery? What kind of lights do you have? Lights can pull between 5-10 amps, and if you left them on for an hour, that would be 10AH, right? But maybe the battery was just under the threshold that it wouldn't start the car. Were other things in the car functional (stereo, etc) when you got back in?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I am planning on buying a used car (from 2010 on) in the coming weeks/months. What would you guys say is the most reliable brand?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

That depends severely on your needs. Long or short commute? Carpool/family hauler duty or just you? Basic transportation or something fun? Do you need cargo capacity (ie a truck)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Enourmo posted:

That depends severely on your needs. Long or short commute? Carpool/family hauler duty or just you? Basic transportation or something fun? Do you need cargo capacity (ie a truck)?

- Want high MPG
- Don't care much about storage
- Plan for short commutes but may drive the car cross country when I get a new job
- Don't have a family
- Basic transportation is fine
- Spending $4,000 to $6,500 USED for less than 100,000 miles