Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the production quality is back, baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Whether this is the case or not, I like to think that skills in Grimgar are literal physical/magical actions that they had to train specifically to be able to do well enough to use, like learning different skills in a sport or a martial art. A lot of real-world skills have pretty fancy and totally arbitrary names as well.

They do have to train them. There's a scene in the LN where the MC is learning a skill (don't know if it's shown up yet in the show, though if it hasn't it will soon since I remember it wasn't long after Mary joining the party), and he learns it by having it repeatedly used against him by his teacher (and presumably practicing it himself as well). So it's not like in The Gamer where they're just given a skill book that grants the ability. Not sure how it works with the magic users; that's probably different since, aside from the chant itself, they have to have some sort of contract with the elemental involved.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That was a neat episode.

And I got a laugh out of myself because I said "hey, weren't the gonna get that dude a real helmet?" two seconds before they asked Mary if she wanted to come along while they did just that.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

any word on how this series is doing over in japan? are the ratings good/is merch selling well/is there good buzz around it? i hope this does really well so more of it gets made

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Archer girl's verbal tic (catchphrase? phrase-suffix?) is so distinct to my ears that I can't help but notice it, then chuckle at myself wondering why I notice it every single time. It's not like I'm annoyed by it, but my subconscious is recognizing that the VA is doing a stellar job.

The show could use more Moguzou rear end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
You mean how she ends every sentence with naa? That doesn't seem too unusual to me, as far as anime accents go. To me it feels like the stereotypical valley girl adding, like, "like" to every sentence. It's not a strange nonsense sound or anything, it's just a generic phrase that denotes a bit of uncertainty and a desire for affirmation, y'know? Also filtered through an accent of some sort.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Clarste posted:

You mean how she ends every sentence with naa? That doesn't seem too unusual to me, as far as anime accents go. To me it feels like the stereotypical valley girl adding, like, "like" to every sentence. It's not a strange nonsense sound or anything, it's just a generic phrase that denotes a bit of uncertainty and a desire for affirmation, y'know? Also filtered through an accent of some sort.

Yes, that. I more often don't hear them or don't pay attention to them, even the blatantly obvious and tryhard ones (infamous moment when I was wondering why the gently caress everyone was making "desu desu" references to Rosen Maiden even though I watched the whole show), but this one just stuck out to me v:shobon:v

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I always find the semi-polite 'su' (shortened desu) style cute.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

AnacondaHL posted:

Archer girl's verbal tic (catchphrase? phrase-suffix?) is so distinct to my ears that I can't help but notice it, then chuckle at myself wondering why I notice it every single time. It's not like I'm annoyed by it, but my subconscious is recognizing that the VA is doing a stellar job.

Its cute.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

flaps thinks moguzou's rear end is cute

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I do. Problem?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

K. Flaps posted:

I do. Problem?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I was sort of hoping that when the first priest died, his brother would show up with similar mannerisms/role and reference events he didn't participate in and knowledge he shouldn't have.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The story seems to be more "what if ordinary kids were actually put into an RPG-like world?" and less "the world is literally an RPG."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

Are Japanese verbal ticks (or stuff like people talking in Kansai dialect) generally noticeable to people who don't know any Japanese? I imagine that at least "ending the sentence in _____" verbal ticks should be easily noticeable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I always notice the kansai accent now, and could tell right away that Arata from Chihayafuru has a very thick accent, even if I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what is different.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I never notice it (except for maybe Tsuraya in Haruhi) because I am too dumb to be able to listen closely while reading subtitles.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Are Japanese verbal ticks (or stuff like people talking in Kansai dialect) generally noticeable to people who don't know any Japanese? I imagine that at least "ending the sentence in _____" verbal ticks should be easily noticeable.

i notice them if it's like 1 character in the cast. if the whole cast speaks in dialect i don't notice

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Clarste posted:

The story seems to be more "what if ordinary kids were actually put into an RPG-like world?" and less "the world is literally an RPG."

I had assumed they were slightly meta-aware replays translated to a series, but I guess I was wrong.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I watched a few episodes of this on Hulu last night and enjoyed it.

Stay safe Priests.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

K. Flaps posted:

I do. Problem?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

(08): Looks like they were playing around with some different animation techniques, so that was kinda neat.

Gobs playin chess :3:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

hat

eugh

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Will someone please learn Windwall, or Protection From Arrows or something? Jeez :ohdear:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
https://a.pomf.cat/otziae.webm

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

:smith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you'd think people would have some qualms about the fact the goblins basically act like humans before killing them.

also, girl has a gigantic forehead

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

To contain her giant Mage brain.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

they do. that's been a bit of a minor theme, more early on than now though.

manato spent the whole first 3 episodes saying "the goblins are desperate to live too" while ranta got grossed out about cutting into their bones

this episode was good. it felt like a final episode. i guess with 4 more episodes to go that's enough time to kill the kobold too

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

manato spent the whole first 3 episodes saying "the goblins are desperate to live too" while ranta got grossed out about cutting into their bones

Yeah, the uneasy feeling that everyone's getting about the main characters killing goblins is clearly very deliberate. Makes me wonder if it's actually going to be a plot point or if it's just another aspect of how bleak of a place Grimgar is.

RIP Blue Gob. You will be missed. :smith:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Do we have a pool on who's going to end up smooching Haru. My money's on Yume.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Light novel convention says nobody will end up smooching Haru until a dozen or so volumes from now (wacky sitcom misunderstandings excluded). But yeah, he and Yume do seem to be pretty obviously set up as the show's main couple. Unless they go ahead and pair her up with Ranta. Which would be awful, but it's a particular light-novel kind of awfulness that the show has not shown itself to be totally immune to.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

this episode was good. it felt like a final episode. i guess with 4 more episodes to go that's enough time to kill the kobold too

i mean i know they do. i just thought there would be a little moment when they noticed the goblin played chess

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Yume should kiss Shihoru, but since her first crush got killed it seems to me that the conventions of fiction say that the mage will have to remain forever kissless. So, if Yume gets to kiss anyone it should be Haru.

I think Haru potentially has much better chemistry and more in common with Mary though, especially after this latest episode.

It's complicated.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ka0 posted:

he's gonna kiss Manato's ghost

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Do we know why the episode order for the show was so small given how much material there apparently is?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Shakugan posted:

Do we know why the episode order for the show was so small given how much material there apparently is?

Might have been risk-aversion knowing that this one isn't balls to the wall shounen like other kids-in-an-RPG hits have been.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe they don't have enough insert songs for a longer season :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

A single cour is just the standard these days, unless something is expected to be exceptionally popular. Then they can decide whther or not to make a sequel based on how well it does. It has nothing to do with how long the original series is, and they never expect to reach anywhere near the end anyway. From the publisher's perspective (who are the ones giving the bulk of the funding), the whole anime is just an advertisement for the books anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So, is it doing well?

• Locked thread