Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

veedubfreak posted:

I was thinking about this the other day when a brotruck was searing the back of my head with his headlights. How is this even legal to have a vehicle where the bumper is at the roof line of most other vehicles on the road and the headlights are at eye level.

Fun fact: in a lowered miata, even moderately raised bumpers are face height. This guy was on my way to voting and it looked terrifying in corners. Fortunately I was not the poor sap he was tailgating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enos Shenk posted:

For content, the continuing adventures of chinese harbor freight air compressor.

Or you could title it "Jesus loving christ this is the safety burst disc too"

I guess the shadenfreude is me. See, a while back something was rattling in the head, so I pulled it off but messed up the gasket. I was getting to needing the compressor for something in the future, so I decided to take the head back off and cut a new gasket. Got that finished, bolt it back down and the air line fitting cracks. So I spent the money on fittings and air line to fix that, and immediately the pressure valve fails. So I order a replacement from ebay, it arrives and I bolt that on, and ha ha now the cut-out air line needs replaced. So I replace that, and it runs for a day before the original air line springs a leak. So I start wrenching it off, and the fitting above just crumbles into dust.

I probably spent $50 trying to fix the thing, when I should have just junked it and done what I just did, picked up a name brand.

This is why Harbor Freight is for things you only plan to use once. By choice or other wise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My general rule for harbor freight is "nothing that could kill you if it failed." No jacks, no grinding wheels, no welding equipment. Sure, why not to cheap hand tools, random supplies, painting stuff, parts bins, etc.

It's served me pretty well so far. I've heard that their jack stands may be an exception, but I'm still not going to test it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

veedubfreak posted:

I was thinking about this the other day when a brotruck was searing the back of my head with his headlights. How is this even legal to have a vehicle where the bumper is at the roof line of most other vehicles on the road and the headlights are at eye level.

I think it's one of those cases where the law code hasn't caught up to the depths of human idiocy yet. Like how Washington state didn't have a ban on bestiality until the Mr. Hands dude filmed himself getting hosed to death by a horse.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Yeah, I picked the hobo freight air compressor up about 5 years ago for light duty stuff. That's a pretty good run for one of their products, just wasn't up to the task of running a milling machine mist coolant system.

I tend to fall into that hole of "Well, it's only $5 to fix what broke on it" then something else breaks and I just keep trying to make the repair. It was a pretty good demonstration of how a failure will migrate down to the next weakest point once you shore something up though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Why is there sand pouring out of the rockers on the Bel Air at 0:58?

Likely accumulated dust/dirt/mud inside the frame rails.

I was working on my '66 Bonneville and for some reason or another was reaching up into the frame rails through the access holes for the body mounts & felt a lot of crud up there. Jump ahead to me sluicing the rails out with a power washer. The amount of dirt that came out was astounding; had to be at least a 3-4-lbs on each side.

This was a very-well-cared for, mostly garage-kept and rust-free car that spent its first 35-years in Montana before I bought it in 2000, and was garaged thereafter.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

`Nemesis posted:

At least nothing of value was lost

Ok yes its on fire, but I wanna know what's up with that whole metal framework thing going on under the rear bumper that allows the trailer hitch to get down to something like a normal level. Anyone who ever rear ended that thing would get their radiator impaled something good.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MREBoy posted:

Ok yes its on fire, but I wanna know what's up with that whole metal framework thing going on under the rear bumper that allows the trailer hitch to get down to something like a normal level. Anyone who ever rear ended that thing would get their radiator impaled something good.

Its for that one time that brodozer has to do work. and by work I mean pull the toyhauler to glamis.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MREBoy posted:

...Does it say "VIP", or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

My general rule for harbor freight is "nothing that could kill you if it failed." No jacks, no grinding wheels, no welding equipment. Sure, why not to cheap hand tools, random supplies, painting stuff, parts bins, etc.

It's served me pretty well so far. I've heard that their jack stands may be an exception, but I'm still not going to test it.

I've busted a ton of hand tools from HF. One of their product that I'll stand by is their 1/4" electric impact gun. It's busted off more than a few rusty rear end axle nuts over the years. Makes taking wheels off super speedy too. For $50 it's been a trooper.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Sagebrush posted:

My general rule for harbor freight is "nothing that could kill you if it failed." No jacks, no grinding wheels, no welding equipment.

For me it's kinda the opposite. Most safety-critical equipment such as jacks have to meet certain minimum standards of safety, meaning that the cheaper items are still going to be of similar quality where it counts. I have a super budget trolley jack, the only downside is no lock nuts holding on the wheels, so they used to fall off occasionally until I replaced the nuts for nyloks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sagebrush posted:

I've used nothing but Harbor Freight jacks and jack stands for the past ~5 years and have actually had much better luck than I expected from them. We use the 'aluminum racing jacks' for racing, track days, working on cars and even lifting poo poo at work sometimes. I've had no failures, leaks or anything else. Compared to the last one I bought from Sears that lasted ~6 months. Most of the other stuff at HF is very hit or miss and I don't trust it but the jacks have been very good. They're by far the most common make I see at Chump, WRL races.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

...Does it say "VIP", or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it. You have to wonder if that's intentional or it's just an illusion caused by the 30 pounds of scaffolding back there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've used nothing but Harbor Freight jacks and jack stands for the past ~5 years and have actually had much better luck than I expected from them. We use the 'aluminum racing jacks' for racing, track days, working on cars and even lifting poo poo at work sometimes. I've had no failures, leaks or anything else. Compared to the last one I bought from Sears that lasted ~6 months. Most of the other stuff at HF is very hit or miss and I don't trust it but the jacks have been very good. They're by far the most common make I see at Chump, WRL races.

Same. Their steel heavy-as-gently caress hydraulic jack graces the woods by my "driveway" and has performed admirably even after being stored outside for the last six years. I have... six? eight? of their big jackstands and 2 of the small ones. One got one face of the base somewhat bent when a junk chassis was dragged off of it, but after being hammered back into shape it's every bit strong enough to hold up a crapcan jeep.

I'll also use their 3/4 breaker bar (hell, I've recommended it to a ton of people on here), their smaller metal bandsaw (the base is chintzy, and it doesn't cut perfectly vertical, but it's close enough for sawing up bits of steel stock to weld together, works great, and the price can't be beat), their chainfall hoists, rags, windshield install suction cups and wire-cutter removal tool, etc. The orange deadblow is great. The impact sockets are good too, it's hard to gently caress up an impact socket since they need to be softer and more malleable to withstand the impact hammering anyways. I love their engine hoist and 12 ton shop press, too.

Standard rule of safety/lifting equipment applies - you shouldn't be crawling under anything not supported by jackstands, and you shouldn't be under a load hanging from a chainfall hoist anyways. If you are, you are gambling with your life and limb.

Welding consumables, welders, welding helmets (I may be in the minority here, but a good Hobart auto darkening one was $75 at TSC), most of their air tools, cutting/grinding wheels with dire cancer warnings on them, etc - gently caress no. The long-reach welding clamp pliers are trash too, so much play in the pivots that the jaws just warped and slid past each other instead of actually clamping.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Ă¢Ñ€Ă¸ ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø,
трø ĂÂżĂÂľ трø ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø
HF should really have its own thread. Im gonna violate my own rule of dont go there ever for some crows feet wrenches today and possibly stubbies. No promises tho.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kastein posted:

cutting/grinding wheels with dire cancer warnings on them, etc - gently caress no.

For me, it's less about the potential asbestos or whatever in the wheel, and more about "have you ever seen what happens when a grinding disc fractures at 20,000 RPM?"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That too, though I never had one fail. If you put yourself in the Plane of Death when using a high-speed power tool such as an angle grinder you are playing russian roulette anyways.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had one blow once, I only got hit by a single fragment about the size of a fingernail, got lodged in my leg a few mm deep.

Not angle grinding in shorts again!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

welding helmets (I may be in the minority here, but a good Hobart auto darkening one was $75 at TSC)

I'll bet you :10bux: the "Hobart" one is made in the same factory as the HF ones. I've got 2 of their auto-darkening helmets and a Jackson SmarTIG WH40 helmet (which was $49 after a MIR and a sale), and I can't tell the difference in the performance. The Jackson is more comfortable, but I've never been flashed with any of them except when I forget to turn them on :derp:

Obligatory "Wear a full face shield over safety glasses when using cutoff/grinding/wire wheels".

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oh man, at one shop I worked for we had a ton of cheap angle grinders with the guards taken off. Using those things was scary.

Also a jack shouldn't kill you if it fails because you never use a jack by itself to support something you are under.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

sharkytm posted:

I'll bet you :10bux: the "Hobart" one is made in the same factory as the HF ones. I've got 2 of their auto-darkening helmets and a Jackson SmarTIG WH40 helmet (which was $49 after a MIR and a sale), and I can't tell the difference in the performance. The Jackson is more comfortable, but I've never been flashed with any of them except when I forget to turn them on :derp:

Obligatory "Wear a full face shield over safety glasses when using cutoff/grinding/wire wheels".

I wouldn't bet against it, for sure, but as something that protects my eyes (which I only get two of), I decided I'd drop the extra $15-20 (turns out it's only $70 for a Hobart, and the HF ones are $50-55! And the Hobart one I got at TSC is actually on sale for 60 right now...) to get a name brand product.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Boogalo posted:

Fun fact: in a lowered miata, even moderately raised bumpers are face height. This guy was on my way to voting and it looked terrifying in corners. Fortunately I was not the poor sap he was tailgating.

trump voter spotted

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Das Volk posted:

trump voter spotted

Easy on the slurs, I'd drive that. Trump voters seem to prefer hyundai.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Boogalo posted:

This is how my dad mostly totaled his 280z back in the day, Him and a guy in a bro'd truck pulled out of a stop sign at the same timer, bro truck drove up on the hood and it's wheel ended up almost on the windshield. Court found it was 51% the other guy's fault and 49% my dad's fault because they both should have waited or something. Didn't have collision insurance on it because we were kind of hurting for money at the time and that was his one 'fun toy thing' that he drove once or twice a week :sigh:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A bro truck killed my grandma. Douchebag ran a stop sign at a rural 4-way and t-boned my grandparents, his winch went through the passenger window. :smith: gently caress those guys and their needlessly lifted trucks.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Arrath posted:

A bro truck killed my grandma. Douchebag ran a stop sign at a rural 4-way and t-boned my grandparents, his winch went through the passenger window. :smith: gently caress those guys and their needlessly lifted trucks.

:saddowns:

That sucks so hard. I'm sorry, dude.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013/02/10-5-million-awarded-in-death-of-woman-crushed-by-monster-truck-at-dallas-strip-club.html/

This seems pretty relevant.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I've busted a ton of hand tools from HF. One of their product that I'll stand by is their 1/4" electric impact gun. It's busted off more than a few rusty rear end axle nuts over the years. Makes taking wheels off super speedy too. For $50 it's been a trooper.

The one I bought wouldn't twist off something torqued to 50 lb ft. loving useless.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My HF aluminum jack has been awesome. Never really had any issues with HF tools yet *knocks on wood*

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

iwentdoodie posted:

The one I bought wouldn't twist off something torqued to 50 lb ft. loving useless.

I have the harbor freight one and it knocks lugnuts off pretty well. Its all it ever gets used for. Its a time and back saver for that fact alone.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I've had the old steel HF jack for over 10 years now with zero issues. The paint has faded to pastel orange, that's about it.

The screwdrivers are cheese-grade metal, though.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Arrath posted:

Which is why I advocate that people keep huge fuckoff :hitler: stingers to trail-only rigs, if they must have the stupid things.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

iwentdoodie posted:

I totally believe you. I'm amazed mine works as well as it does. That's the beauty/horror of harbor freight. I'm imagining that the quality of the tool depends on the quality of the doorknobs and spigots that were melted down to make it. How well Ling Shu ate that week is probably a factor too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So I had a horrible mechanical failure at work this week, and its been 50 years in the making.

50 years ago, when we established one of our parks and put all the visitor infrastructure in, we had to run water pipes everywhere to feed toilet blocks, water lawns, supply fire water, that kind of thing.

So they dug in a pipe. Not a good pipe mind you, a lovely, cheap 2" galvanised steel pipe. Directly into the soil. Now keep in mind that this pipe run is around 5km long from the tank to the fire hydrant at the end of it, so the amount of frictional loss in a brand new galv steel pipe would be immense, but add in 50yrs of corrosion and its pretty loving awful. Also, your average hydrant is a 3" outlet, so at a minimum you really should have a 6" pipe feeding them...

Anywho, Got a call yesterday because a pipe had ruptured in the middle of a road and needed digging out. Plumber and they guys on site had found the leak, but the pipe is so hosed that trying to put a gibault joiner onto it was just crushing it down.

The reason this bit of pipe was so badly power hosed vs the rest of it which is just hosed? Install error.

50 years ago, some slack fucker couldnt be bothered digging a trench. So they just scraped some dirt away and basically laid the pipe down and covered it. UNDER A ROAD.

So a hr long repair job turned into a two very long day digging the entire pipe out from under the road, cutting it back progressively until the pipe wasnt totally hosed and could be joined onto, then digging a 2' deep trench the 25m diagonally across the road so we could replace the steel pipe with a high density 50mm poly line. THATS MORE THAN 3" UNDER THE loving ROAD SURFACE...

And in the process of digging this out, I found 3 other repairs too! Including one where they replaced a meter long section of pipe, Then poured about half a cubic meter of concrete over it. That was a bitch to dig out

Government departments- Trolling the future on the LONG game

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Doing it right pays off in the future, but laziness pays off immediately.

sacculina
Dec 29, 2008
http://imgur.com/o5xYbKL
http://imgur.com/SdiUXIW

When the shop that built your engine tells you to stop driving it, it is best to listen to them.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Arrath posted:

Are there any extra consequences when this kind of thing happens as a result of safety systems being compromised with aftermarket parts/work? Last year a girl was hit here by a truck while crossing the street, it was a relatively low speed collision but his bumper was jacked right up to head level and landed her in serious condition. It's a constant source of concern when I see a lifted brodozer rolling up on me from behind at a stoplight on my motorcycle.

What drives me nuts is we have an annual campaign of concerned citizens waging war on aftermarket motorcycle exhaust, but nobody ever, ever talks about the giant trucks rolling all over the place just waiting to kill someone.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Niven posted:

What drives me nuts is we have an annual campaign of concerned citizens waging war on aftermarket motorcycle exhaust, but nobody ever, ever talks about the giant trucks rolling all over the place just waiting to kill someone.

I have a feeling that those kind of campaigns are 99% followers who enjoy the feeling of superiority, and 1% people who get things rolling. If you can be bothered to print some glossy pamphlets and maybe even put up a website with a '90s - quality video about the Hidden Danger of too-high bumpers and hitches, you could probably get it near-permanently tacked onto their agenda within a single season.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if you should.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 3, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

gently caress Texas judges. 3 years for being double the limit and mowing down a hot 23 year old with his brodozer. People get longer sentences for having weed on them.

Crutchfield, who was 27 at the time of McKenzie’s death, pleaded guilty last May to a charge of manslaughter, for which he was sentenced to three years in prison. Additionally, he’d been on probation since 2007 for possession of steroids, and after he killed McKenzie, the judge in the steroids case revoked that probation and sentenced him to 10 years in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love that he got 10 years for steroid posession but only 3 volentarily for ending someones life (my stance is if you're drunk driving you get murder, you killed someone and it was your choice to get in a vehicle)