Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Did someone say terrible anime covers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

OxMan posted:

Did someone say terrible anime covers?

(it's i.imgur and a file extension if you're embedding :ssh:)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So 12+ refers to that character's age, right.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

nerdz posted:

good point on the US anime covers:

My thoughts exactly.

Edit: Actually, the guy on the left has my thoughts exactly about the girl's face.

you were warned fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 3, 2016

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sleeveless posted:

The PC one that was made by Interplay had a bunch of R-rated character voice clips hidden on the disc, so it had that going for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0BlM70n4Yk

Uhhhh is this just Charles Adler doing these various clips in-character as the cast of Cow and Chicken?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Non anime anime cover:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not the kind of person to criticize gun realism in fiction too often, but even at a glance those guns are nonsense.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not the kind of person to criticize gun realism in fiction too often, but even at a glance those guns are nonsense.

what guns? are there guns? :pervert:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Wamdoodle posted:

Non anime anime cover:

I've always wanted one of those Dan Wesson PPC revolvers where the barrel is made out of Play-Doh, but I could never afford one.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

AnotherGamer posted:

Can't say for sure but is probably is, considering the game is a platformer where you're a little kid with a gun going through cutesy fantasy worlds.

See for yourself: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/teddyboy/teddyboy.htm

The Brazilian variant cover from that page is pretty great:

CHUT

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Wamdoodle posted:

Non anime anime cover:

To be fair, they were totally open about it being inspired by GitS and didn't try to make it look like it was made by an Asian team. The cover is pretty by-the-numbers otherwise.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

nerdz posted:

good point on the US anime covers:

Behead those who slander Shogo

Sequel never

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Titanfall really should have just called itself SHOGO 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-j94S-br9E

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

bloodychill posted:

To be fair, they were totally open about it being inspired by GitS and didn't try to make it look like it was made by an Asian team. The cover is pretty by-the-numbers otherwise.

Oh, most def. I was just going along with the theme. I'd like to have seen a sequel or remake with current Bungie with today's tech but I doubt that would ever happen.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

There's still bad Bomberman box art out there!

And while we're on the subject of TurboGrafx, let's get some FatMarines up in here:

And this is just... weird. Somebody else posted it on the second page, so I want to give credit to them for unearthing it first.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

A personnel favorite:

And finally, the name says everything you need to know about the game. The box art is just the last nail in the coffin.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 3, 2016

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

There's still bad Bomberman box art out there!

And finally, the name says everything you need to know about the game. The box art is just the last nail in the coffin.

Red Bomber appears to be having a heart attack.

And regarding the second, I'm pretty sure in one of the trashed designs, the guy had a more pronounced bulge.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Wamdoodle posted:

Red Bomber appears to be having a heart attack.

Even though he's under that mask, he can still smell burnt toast!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Septerra Core is special because not only did the cover come from the era when people thought bad shiny CGI art looked presentable enough to be on the cover (gotta justify the money spent on that hardware from SGI I guess) but the entire game looked like that. The entire game was prerendered sprites and images made in exactly the same style as the cover. Bleeeeech

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
There's that 90's SGI look that pops up in so many places.

To contribute, this game:

Because this when it was localized:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I like the shy guys new hats

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah that's the poo poo. The N64 existed smack-dab in the middle of the era when people thought that poo poo looked good so you'd better believe that drat near every box looked like that

Not all of the covers you'll find in that style are even bad but I loving hate that style

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Sagat just looks so :smith:.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

At least those are hand-drawn instead of being thrown together in 3DS Max by someone with no sense of aesthetics and then rendered on maximum shiny

Edit: I don't actually know how people made those CGI covers but I'm sure I'd be distressed to learn how much effort and manpower it took to make that crap back then

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, we're still sort of in that era; it's just CGI artists have gotten much better.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, we're still sort of in that era; it's just CGI artists have gotten much better.

I think there's an element of that since the artists now have years or decades of experience instead of months. But also, people were so excited about the technology in the mid to late 90s that they'd throw up the first turd that popped out of the renderer instead of actually thinking about what looks good. I think there was a feedback loop of there being so much crappy CGI box art out there that devs felt they had to do CGI themselves to look technologically up to date, which just put more poo poo box art out there.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

BattleMaster posted:

Yeah that's the poo poo. The N64 existed smack-dab in the middle of the era when people thought that poo poo looked good so you'd better believe that drat near every box looked like that

Not all of the covers you'll find in that style are even bad but I loving hate that style

There was also the whole thing where NoA felt like you wouldn't know it was a 3D game unless it had terrible 3D renders on the cover. It was almost like they were afraid 3D might become a gimmick that didn't stick if they didn't really push the concept.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

But surely the Japanese cover is better, right?

:sigh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Can we as a people forget that that art for Septerra Core exists and toss it into the uncanny abyss from which it came?

that would also be a good thing to do for the actual game

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Picayune posted:

But surely the Japanese cover is better, right?

:sigh:

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

At least they were consistent

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bloodychill posted:

There was also the whole thing where NoA felt like you wouldn't know it was a 3D game unless it had terrible 3D renders on the cover. It was almost like they were afraid 3D might become a gimmick that didn't stick if they didn't really push the concept.

I wish it had.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This was a thing Braid came in.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Wamdoodle posted:

Non anime anime cover:

The most misleading thing about this cover is that the actual game was more of a beat'em up and guns were almost worthless.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Instant Sunrise posted:

There's that 90's SGI look that pops up in so many places.

To contribute, this game:

Because this when it was localized:

The cover was bad but Mischief Makers was one of the better platformers on the N64.

Through fire, justice is served

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Nah her carrying more than one gun is even more misleading

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Vanderdeath posted:

The cover was bad but Mischief Makers was one of the better platformers on the N64.

All I remember about this game was shaking down all the shy guys for their gems and S ranks being a pain in the rear end.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Waffleman_ posted:

This was a thing Braid came in.

De-indieing indie games would make for an amazing photoshop thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

Instant Sunrise posted:

All I remember about this game was shaking down all the shy guys for their gems and S ranks being a pain in the rear end.

That JP cover owns, much like the game.

"Shake, shake" :3:

• Locked thread