Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Being on fire (and disoriented) prevents melee attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Such a beautiful piece of lumber, looking forward to it. Thanks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just putting in a few tweaks like moving the bat's properties into the config and making the sheath hidable through it.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 5, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That's amazing but you either gotta give the golf bag straps or get rid of it, because it hovering there is honestly more immersion-breaking than a baseball bat that just magically sticks to your back would be.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Bushiz posted:

Other news: after I wrap this campaign up I think I'm going to do a legendary Ironman run with xp leak, 5 supply rookies, half price equipment, and make pods as huge as possible. I want to hurl rookies and squaddies at doors to eat overwatch shots. I want a million faces on the memorial wall.

Update: This is fun as hell. I have 5 people dead after three missions

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

That's amazing but you either gotta give the golf bag straps or get rid of it, because it hovering there is honestly more immersion-breaking than a baseball bat that just magically sticks to your back would be.

It only looks like that mid-action otherwise it's stuck to the back just fine though. The base sheath suffers from the same thing.

I've been trying to make the sheath visibility editable but goddamn this is beating me.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I really don't remember that from the ending of the Bureau. I only remember liking the twist, and generally enjoying the various bits that weren't fully developed and that stuff, even if as a whole it didn't make the most sense. I gained a real appreciation for it watching McKilligan's LP of it with Silent W, and what I remember from that was both games were developed more or less independently and 2k Marin got access to the EU sectoid models and a general view of the assets, like the Muton, which previously was just different kind of big stompy soldier murdering monster. I don't remember any real, tangible connection to the either game from either game, besides having sectoids and mutons and two very different kinds of Etherals and Outsiders. I mean really if you changed the names and removed XCOM from The Bureau, it'd basically only have the sectoids and mutons in common. And kind of the four armed etherals. I don't even remember if they have four arms. Especially considering that EU and was produced pretty much wholly in separate from The Bureau and the biggest connection in EW is Carter's hat and that Carter is one of the cheat soldiers like Otto Zander. And you can maybe read the design of EXALT as based off vaguely the style of the bureau but I don't know if anyone from firaxis ever confirmed that.

Honestly, if you read into the idea that all of the non failed campaigns were basically simulations being used by ADVENT to fight a war against the various hold out factions and resistance movements of the people of earth and XCOM, I do like the idea of the people of Earth being aided by a renegade etheral, who may or may not have been leaking information to the commander, helping his brain powers, or just sliding info to bradford and the Shadowy Council Guy. Except that the events of The Bureau are loving crazy and I can't swallow that people didn't get word of the outright crazy loving havoc wrecked upon the planet by the Outsiders on behalf of Mosiac. Did you play that game? a crazy amount of America gets wrecked to hell and back. The aliens are loving terraforming poo poo as their opening loving move

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

SpookyLizard posted:

Is there anything besides the use of the same IP that ties the games together? Y'know, other than Speedball's LP?

The Mosaic chips are still in use-they're the things they're connecting the Advent together; the same chip they pulled out of you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jesus christ I figured it out. it'll be ready soon :woot:

Turns out I forgot some critical information in defining my config file. :cripes:

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The mask gives this a serious Hotline Miami vibe.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=638261867

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bloodly posted:

The Mosaic chips are still in use-they're the things they're connecting the Advent together; the same chip they pulled out of you.

Is this supposition? Are they the same design or dud someone from Firaxis say this or is it just a friendly nod to a game that never got enough love?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

This seems like the best place to ask; is there any way to decouple hat color from primary armor color, possibly just for one item? Jacket/Richard doesn't look right with a bright white top, but a non-white mask isn't proper either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It requires editing the material properties so that it'd come from the secondary instead of primary. Its possible, but not an easy switch that can be edited into ini. It'd have to be a separate hat I think.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 5, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bushiz posted:

Update: This is fun as hell. I have 5 people dead after three missions

Can you link the exact mods you're using? I'd like to try that out.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

This is a drat good mod, it managed to save me against some Archon with it's stun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpookyLizard posted:

Honestly, if you read into the idea that all of the non failed campaigns were basically simulations being used by ADVENT to fight a war against the various hold out factions and resistance movements of the people of earth and XCOM, I do like the idea of the people of Earth being aided by a renegade etheral, who may or may not have been leaking information to the commander, helping his brain powers, or just sliding info to bradford and the Shadowy Council Guy. Except that the events of The Bureau are loving crazy and I can't swallow that people didn't get word of the outright crazy loving havoc wrecked upon the planet by the Outsiders on behalf of Mosiac. Did you play that game? a crazy amount of America gets wrecked to hell and back. The aliens are loving terraforming poo poo as their opening loving move

No that was those drat commies that did that remember? :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Just a quick check, since I've actually beaten the game (if with a small bit of savescumming): Ironman is actually possible this time around, right? or at least it's theoretically easier to deal with than, say, EU's Ironman Mode. I want to make sure that I'm not going to deal with -total- fuckery, just your standard issue fuckery.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Monathin posted:

Just a quick check, since I've actually beaten the game (if with a small bit of savescumming): Ironman is actually possible this time around, right? or at least it's theoretically easier to deal with than, say, EU's Ironman Mode. I want to make sure that I'm not going to deal with -total- fuckery, just your standard issue fuckery.
I did it on my first playthrough with no issues or alt-f4'ing, but I also played with no mods and read up a bit on common crash causes and avoided saving on any mission with 'lids (or quitting anywhere but the geoscape). Some people have been having a ton of bugs and others have been bug-free, so its kind of variable right now. I might wait for the first stability patch.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

gently caress Chryssalids!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I've just got back from a talk that Julian Gollop was giving in London on the history of XCOM. No particularly major insights, but a few interesting points:

- He's exactly as disdainful about Enforcer and Interceptor as you'd expect him to be, describing them as "the heretical XCOMs"
- He's aware of the player's inability to accurately judge probabilities, and finds it hilarious
- He's surprisingly aware of all the modding and indie stuff that's spun out of XCOM - he had strong praise for Xenonauts, Long War and Open XCOM, when frankly I'm impressed he even knows they exist
- He wasn't fully prepared for the extent of XCOM 2's destructible terrain, and got half his squad killed when a Muton collapsed the floor of the building. I love that he was war-stories about these games the same as the rest of us.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

Can you link the exact mods you're using? I'd like to try that out.

IESS+
Increased Squad size
fast leveling
All soldiers gain xp
Grimy's loot mod
Retroactive AWC
Advanced modular weapons
Beat down
Smg

Those are the big ones. I also hosed with inis to make pods and reinforcements have larger variety, made the sword an auto hit, and increased the number of rookies you get from the "rookies" scanning event reward to 10. I actually can't find where in the inis you adjust rookie recruitment cost, so I'm just using console commands to get the amount of supplies I need to make rookies cost 5. Then just play aggressive as hell. I'm still working on the balance of it, but reducing mission timers by two turns seems to put the pressure on for me, but I'm not really that good at the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've just got back from a talk that Julian Gollop was giving in London on the history of XCOM. No particularly major insights, but a few interesting points:

- He's exactly as disdainful about Enforcer and Interceptor as you'd expect him to be, describing them as "the heretical XCOMs"
- He's aware of the player's inability to accurately judge probabilities, and finds it hilarious
- He's surprisingly aware of all the modding and indie stuff that's spun out of XCOM - he had strong praise for Xenonauts, Long War and Open XCOM, when frankly I'm impressed he even knows they exist
- He wasn't fully prepared for the extent of XCOM 2's destructible terrain, and got half his squad killed when a Muton collapsed the floor of the building. I love that he was war-stories about these games the same as the rest of us.

So that's where the Gollop Chamber comes from. How does he feel about the remakes in general?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Olive Branch posted:

The mask gives this a serious Hotline Miami vibe.

That's the vibe I got, and I'm sure it's intentional too. The creator of the mod uses a Hotline Miami avatar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the hellfire projector worth using over a rocket launcher?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Geeeeeeet dunked on, ayys.

RIP Solid Snake, my sister, and two random rookies I emergency hired. Your sacrifices were not in vain.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to have the rookie pool only pull from the Import Character list initially?

I got a list of names I'm trying to put in, but everytime I start a new game I get random pubbie names in my team as well. That and not every name appears in the Recruitment list. (And yes, everyone is marked as can appear as a rookie)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm nearing a first finish of XCOM2 and while I recognize that it's a really cool game with legs, I'm not seeing myself play it all that much again, because it's currently unoptimized (Hopefully all that can be fixed!) but more because it definitely feels rife with what was pointed out earlier by some game designer on his blog, the "snowball effect" of either getting your rear end kicked at the start and never recovering, or kicking rear end and kicking rear end forevermore. In this game I've been kicking rear end on normal difficulty to an insane degree (savescumming rarely beyond glitches or deceptive UI or cursor slip mistakes) and I'm going into the endgame with maybe 18 colonels and 6 full magus psychics and 10k+ supplies and every item in the game.

Is there a mod set at this early juncture that balances this swingy power curve out somehow?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Always feels nice to relate to someone.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Well, imean, you're on the easiest difficulty. Now that you know how the game systems work, try a new play through on commander or veteran.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Does the 'Assorted Loot' scan simply not work? Every time I complete it I check my inventory and I've gotten nothing.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Does this game makes your rolls better behind the scenes (IIRC) like it used to do in EU in the second (from easiest to hardest) difficulty?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Mystic Stylez posted:

Does this game makes your rolls better behind the scenes (IIRC) like it used to do in EU in the second (from easiest to hardest) difficulty?

In everything but legendary, yes, it fudges rolls for you. Legendary remains 'Because gently caress you this is how probability works - if that shot's not 100% you gonna miss, child'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's weird, nobody in my squad got attacked or shot at or ran into a hazard, but my ranger is listed as wounded in the post-mission screen.

e: Hellfire's not too shabby btw. Definitely the weakest of powered weapons though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dexanth posted:

In everything but legendary, yes, it fudges rolls for you. Legendary remains 'Because gently caress you this is how probability works - if that shot's not 100% you gonna miss, child'

I kept telling myself that when on commander I missed the 90% shot then got a hair trigger re-do and missed again.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is the radio tower bonus that should complete ammo / grenades instantly bugged as heck? I've had two games now where it just doesn't seem to have done anything. Maybe something to do with getting it before I actually built a proving ground?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

You are doing "Great Works." I just wanted you to know that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I downloaded the baseball bat mod

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm nearing a first finish of XCOM2 and while I recognize that it's a really cool game with legs, I'm not seeing myself play it all that much again, because it's currently unoptimized (Hopefully all that can be fixed!) but more because it definitely feels rife with what was pointed out earlier by some game designer on his blog, the "snowball effect" of either getting your rear end kicked at the start and never recovering, or kicking rear end and kicking rear end forevermore. In this game I've been kicking rear end on normal difficulty to an insane degree (savescumming rarely beyond glitches or deceptive UI or cursor slip mistakes) and I'm going into the endgame with maybe 18 colonels and 6 full magus psychics and 10k+ supplies and every item in the game.

Is there a mod set at this early juncture that balances this swingy power curve out somehow?

Modding it so that squad size progression goes from 6 to 8 instead of 4 to 6 and generally increasing enemy count to a high enough degree might help out in ironing out the difficulty curve to make more bearable in the beginning and more interesting in the late game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I lied the plasma caster is the shittiest power weapon.