Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I'd read somewhere that the conversations with Garrus and the end of his mission affect how he acts in the next game, like you can either convince him that paragon is good, or that renegade is good through your conversation, then in 2 something-something, but I never figured out what difference it made. Like, is it supposed to affect his loyalty mission, how he deals with Harkin, how he responds if you keep him from killing the traitor? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
AFAIK the only difference is that if you push him paragon he rejoins c-sec, and if you push renegade he tries out for the spectres. It all happens between games and makes no actual difference to the plot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

SubponticatePoster posted:

I also realized I'd forgotten to do the Luna mission. Do y'all want to see it? It's 3x go to a base, shoot a turret, go inside and shoot some robits. The only thing interesting is the ending, and that only by virtue of knowing it's an embryonic EDI. I'll still do it off-camera if people would rather us get to the good stuff.

I asked you a few weeks ago :negative:

And Luna's really only interesting in the way that it provides the only real secondary means of class customization in the game. It's still worthwhile to do as early as possible for that, though.

My Q-Face posted:

I'd read somewhere that the conversations with Garrus and the end of his mission affect how he acts in the next game, like you can either convince him that paragon is good, or that renegade is good through your conversation, then in 2 something-something, but I never figured out what difference it made. Like, is it supposed to affect his loyalty mission, how he deals with Harkin, how he responds if you keep him from killing the traitor? I dunno.

It does affect his dialog during the loyalty missions and when you recruit him. IIRC if you try to convince him to spare the traitor he gets confused and starts accusing you of being self righteous.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Personal personnel

Doing a bunch of poo poo for people. The only one of these that really matters is Wrex's. If you don't do Tali's you can just threaten her in 2 and she goes "yup, that's Shepard!" Garrus's never comes up again. If you don't do Wrex's though...well, you're a horrible person :colbert:

I also realized I'd forgotten to do the Luna mission. Do y'all want to see it? It's 3x go to a base, shoot a turret, go inside and shoot some robits. The only thing interesting is the ending, and that only by virtue of knowing it's an embryonic EDI. I'll still do it off-camera if people would rather us get to the good stuff.

A+ for music choice.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Assuming you aren't going to be spending days pulling together a skybox montage then would be good to see luna for the actual real reason: Ooh earth!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fwoderwick posted:

Assuming you aren't going to be spending days pulling together a skybox montage then would be good to see luna for the actual real reason: Ooh earth!
It's certainly not for the indoor scenery or the combat on higher difficulties. Rocket to the face, rocket to the face, rocket to the face. :bang:

YOTC posted:

A+ for music choice.
Especially for Liara.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There's some very flirty dialogue between Shepard and Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker in 2 if you are in a relationship, it makes for a funny contrast with what happens throughout that content.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
I can't seem to watch the latest video on my phone. It says the video is not available. Is anyone experiencing the same?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Judge Tesla posted:

There's some very flirty dialogue between Shepard and Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker in 2 if you are in a relationship, it makes for a funny contrast with what happens throughout that content.
LotSB is fantastic in general. It's where Liara finally finds a sense of humor, and turns out she's actually funny.

YOTC posted:

A+ for music choice.

Poil posted:

Especially for Liara.
:haw: Normally when I put music in I get a copyright notice. This isn't a big deal since I don't monetize my videos. I didn't get one this time, so apparently Pat Benatar and the estate of Marvin Gaye don't give a poo poo if their stuff gets used in LP's. Thanks guys! And a bit of trivia: If you go see Pat Benatar in concert (and yes, she's still touring in small backwater venues and you should see her because she still sounds fantastic) she won't sing the words "Before I put another notch in my lipstick case" because she hates that line - she always lets the audience do it :v:

give me thread posted:

I can't seem to watch the latest video on my phone. It says the video is not available. Is anyone experiencing the same?
I just tried on my phone and it worked fine, I dunno.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kurieg posted:

And Luna's really only interesting in the way that it provides the only real secondary means of class customization in the game. It's still worthwhile to do as early as possible for that, though.

while true you only get access to it after you reach level 20 so you gotta do some other stuff first.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

LotSB is fantastic in general. It's where Liara finally finds a sense of humor, and turns out she's actually funny.
If you ignore the drop cutscene stupidity, backseat driving, the buggy parking lot and the awful boss fight (I'm amazed they didn't just strap that character to the front of a ship and crushed everything with the now essentially indestructible armor). And that's just the first half. The rest was good however.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Kurieg posted:

It's also one of the places you can hear unexplained Rachni song.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I vote for a fast forward music video of lunar combat with a side of normal speed cutscenes and dialogue.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I was waiting for the 398 m sniper shot and it delivered :stare:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Random thought. I never really followed Conrad's thread through the third game. He keeps going on about his wife, but doesn't it eventually turn out she's made up?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Buttass posted:

Random thought. I never really followed Conrad's thread through the third game. He keeps going on about his wife, but doesn't it eventually turn out she's made up?

I hope so, considering that in both 1 and 2 Conrad dies in hilarious ways if you snub him.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dr. Buttass posted:

His stuff in 2 makes me think no, but she's probably really glad he's out getting shot in the foot by Shepard saving the galaxy. If you do Jenna's quest properly in 1 (which we did) then he may live happily ever after with someone who isn't his wife!

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

His stuff in 2 makes me think no, but she's probably really glad he's out getting shot in the foot by Shepard saving the galaxy. If you do Jenna's quest properly in 1 (which we did) then he may live happily ever after with someone who isn't his wife!

There was that one line, "she even paid for his ticket off world" or something that makes the bartender facepalm that suggests she is real. Or was at least.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Shepard asks him point-blank if his wife doesn't exist and he admits it in some random chatter in 3.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I just write that off as one more thing from 3 that doesn't match up with the rest of the series.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

My Q-Face posted:

I just write that off as one more thing from [Mass Effect game] that doesn't match up with the rest of the series.

Coherence in detail is not this series' strong suit.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Prothean communications tech seems remarkably lovely, all things considered. We had a run-in with a beacon that forced the user to re-live the first-person experience of a Prothean being torn apart and stitched back together into a Collector. I'm not sure whether that's more or less jarring than being forced to re-live the first-person experience of being a caveman for several loving months, however.

Is there even any way for the user accessing one of those "recordings" to pause partway through? Doesn't sound like it. God.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 7, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

:haw: Normally when I put music in I get a copyright notice. This isn't a big deal since I don't monetize my videos. I didn't get one this time, so apparently Pat Benatar and the estate of Marvin Gaye don't give a poo poo if their stuff gets used in LP's. Thanks guys! And a bit of trivia: If you go see Pat Benatar in concert (and yes, she's still touring in small backwater venues and you should see her because she still sounds fantastic) she won't sing the words "Before I put another notch in my lipstick case" because she hates that line - she always lets the audience do it :v:

"This video is not available in Germany, since it contains music from UMG, etc."

:negative:

Anyway, if it's just conversations with crew members then I didn't miss much. It's not as if I haven't seen it all before when I played through the game.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Torrannor posted:

"This video is not available in Germany, since it contains music from UMG, etc."

Der Typ, der bei der GEMA die Titel eintippt, ist ein ganz blöder Penner

http://youtu.be/jiOTKjXZaYI

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

My Q-Face posted:

I just write that off as one more thing from 3 that doesn't match up with the rest of the series.

On the other hand, pretending he has a wife is totally pathetic enough for Conrad.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Regalingualius posted:

On the other hand, pretending he has a wife is totally pathetic enough for Conrad.

Yeah, but then who paid for his trip? Why would he make up a story about his wife being "excited" for him?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, but then who paid for his trip? Why would he make up a story about his wife being "excited" for him?

He did because he wants to hide that he's a grown man that has nothing more going for his life than a rabid obsession with a person he doesn't even know and has only met in passing a couple times.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Prothean communications tech seems remarkably lovely, all things considered. We had a run-in with a beacon that forced the user to re-live the first-person experience of a Prothean being torn apart and stitched back together into a Collector. I'm not sure whether that's more or less jarring than being forced to re-live the first-person experience of being a caveman for several loving months, however.

Is there even any way for the user accessing one of those "recordings" to pause partway through? Doesn't sound like it. God.

The fact that it works at all after a galaxy-wide war that wasn't exactly light on collateral damage plus 50,000 years of entropy is impressive.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

I just tried on my phone and it worked fine, I dunno.
No problem it works on my desktop as well. Maybe it's geoblocked on ze mobile. v :) v

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Torrannor posted:

Anyway, if it's just conversations with crew members then I didn't miss much. It's not as if I haven't seen it all before when I played through the game.
GEMA sucks :mad:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Wasn't this explained as:

1. It was designed to work on Protheans, not Humans, so it's probably a lot more pleasant and usable if you are the actual intended race
2. The one on Eden Prime was described as being pretty broken after 50,000 years.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Styx Theta

We speedrun the Luna mission. It's exceptionally annoying because it's just the same 3 bases but every time you take out a node it adds more dumb poo poo so each one takes progressively longer. The only thing vaguely interesting about it is retconned in; the VI is neonatal EDI. Lucky for us she doesn't hold grudges. And we get a specialization.

Virmire's up next. It's broken up into two parts, so who do folks want along for the ride? The second part I'm taking Wrex, so only 1 squadmate for that section.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

uh, at the rate (of hilarity) that things are going, take Kaidan always :v:

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Perfect song choice as always!!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DeusExMachinima posted:

uh, at the rate (of hilarity) that things are going, take Kaidan always :v:
What did I ever do to you? :mad: Actually Kaiden will be occupied in the second part now that I think about it. We have a dramatic cutscene to set up!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Take Liara, she has a funny comment about where all the sand goes in her suit. :v:

divedivedive
Jun 6, 2011
It was totally worth it to get a blast of 80s nostalgia. I still love Mr. Roboto.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I've never played ME1 before, only 2 and 3, and so I've only done the Genesis comic in regard to ME1 "gameplay," does the specialization transfer over anything at the beginning of ME2 or do you just start off from scratch like normal?

Great LP, though, SP. I've always wanted to actually play the game and I've tried, but like others have said, it hasn't aged well and the gunplay was just unbearable for me and I've never found a good LP worth watching of the game. Very much appreciated.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

A portion of the character's Paragon/Renegade points (up to 190 each, which requires the bar(s) to be 50% full[1]) are transferred over.
Importing a level 1 through level 49 character will grant 1,000 XP (the player starts at level 2), 20,000 credits, and 2,500 of each resource.
Importing a level 50 through level 59 character will grant 2,000 XP (the player starts at level 3), 30,000 credits, and 5,000 of each resource.
Importing a level 60 character will grant 4,000 XP (the player starts at level 5), 50,000 credits, and 10,000 of each resource.
Having the "Rich" achievement from Mass Effect will grant an additional 100,000 credits.
The import bonuses will stack with the Mass Effect 2 completion starting bonuses (200,000 credits and 50,000 of each resource).
You still have the opportunity to reselect your class because the combat system was overhauled extensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sir Potato posted:

I've never played ME1 before, only 2 and 3, and so I've only done the Genesis comic in regard to ME1 "gameplay," does the specialization transfer over anything at the beginning of ME2 or do you just start off from scratch like normal?

Great LP, though, SP. I've always wanted to actually play the game and I've tried, but like others have said, it hasn't aged well and the gunplay was just unbearable for me and I've never found a good LP worth watching of the game. Very much appreciated.
Kurieg posted the details but you just get some bonuses for importing a save. Genesis only covers the major events and is missing a lot of flags (understandable as a lot of stuff can transfer over). Now they have the Keep that they used for DA so you may be able to fine-tune a world state when Andromeda comes out, although it may not matter since it's set in another galaxy parallel to the events of ME3.

And you're welcome - I love ME and usually replay the trilogy every year or so. If you really want to experience ME1 I suggest getting a copy on PC and just hacking the hell out of it so you can one-shot everything and worry about the story. I make fun of stuff in the game but I have a great deal of affection for it.

• Locked thread