Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

Something like a two handed sword, battleaxe or warhammer. :unsmigghh:

Chainsaw. Goes nicely with the hockey mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgeous Gorge
Jun 17, 2005
Why don't you go rub skulks with your onos?

Amazingly, we managed to avoid interception.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

peak debt posted:

The insta-complete thing is sometimes bugged. In my last game I got the bonus and the currently researching project finished immediately. Then I queued another, and that took the normal 5 day waiting time. Then a bit later when I got another core, I selected another and that finished instantly again...

I don't know if that's what happened here, but someone mentioned earlier that if you pause a research project, its time estimate gets locked for some reason and isn't recalculated when you continue the project.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Coolguye posted:

don't lie to people and tell them Snow Crash has an ending

Well, some things end. Including the pages in the book. So, that's kind of an ending.

Honestly, outside of

peak debt posted:

the jailbait sex scene

I like the back half of Snow Crash as much as the front half. If there's one thing I wish someone had just said "You need to cut this" about, it's that.

Digirat posted:

I agree.

That is definitely what line of sight means.

How loving hard can ray traces in unreal 4 be (she got "flanked" and shot clean through the floor by the guy on the right, also this group of enemies alerted when they saw clean through a closed door)

I think destructible floors opened up a lot of potential for this kind of issue.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gorgeous Gorge posted:

Amazingly, we managed to avoid interception.

That's hilarious, I wonder if they all are described like that.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Funny enough my first avenger mission ended up glitching, I was awkwardly waiting in the west coast of the us for like an hour in game before the ufo stopped bouncing around and made a beeline to me.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I just had a bizarre bug. I'm scanning a location and instead of completing the counter goes negative. I back out of the command room and reenter it. Boom! Retaliation, Guerrilla Mission, and getting shot down all pop at once. Fuuuuuuck.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Digirat posted:

How loving hard can ray traces in unreal 4 be (she got "flanked" and shot clean through the floor by the guy on the right, also this group of enemies alerted when they saw clean through a closed door)
Easier than in UE3...which is what this game is built on. :D

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Odd, still crashing when I try to run the alien sabotage mission. Ive deleted some of my mods (in case of memory leak), turned off the firewall, verified the files, undid my line edits, and restarted the computer. I still get the '41 error' along with steam restarting the login.

edit: Changing the team doesnt work either. Right after the crash, it tries to load xcom, and then says 'already running'. I think its launching twice, for some reason?

edit2: Steam says xcom2 is running after the crash, but there is no launcher window.

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 7, 2016

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

alpha_destroy posted:

I just had a bizarre bug. I'm scanning a location and instead of completing the counter goes negative. I back out of the command room and reenter it. Boom! Retaliation, Guerrilla Mission, and getting shot down all pop at once. Fuuuuuuck.

It's a bug that happens if you enter the Geoscape when an objective update is waiting for a speech to finish. The speech gets cut off but since you're in the Geoscape it can't do the popup, so everything just hangs.

As for Avenger defense, I had the same issue where "evasive maneuvers" just had me park in a nearby area and sit there for about a minute in real time while the UFO buzzed around and finally crashed into me. I didn't know if it was some sort of minigame that was supposed to let me control the Avenger around the Geoscape all Final Fantasy airship style but was glitched or what.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Locke Dunnegan posted:

It's a bug that happens if you enter the Geoscape when an objective update is waiting for a speech to finish. The speech gets cut off but since you're in the Geoscape it can't do the popup, so everything just hangs.

As for Avenger defense, I had the same issue where "evasive maneuvers" just had me park in a nearby area and sit there for about a minute in real time while the UFO buzzed around and finally crashed into me. I didn't know if it was some sort of minigame that was supposed to let me control the Avenger around the Geoscape all Final Fantasy airship style but was glitched or what.

I just got that bug! The avatar dissection cut scene didn't play for some reason (after the research is complete, not Tygan hacking poo poo)

Jaaaaaaaaaaake

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RandallODim posted:

Well, some things end. Including the pages in the book. So, that's kind of an ending.

I like the back half of Snow Crash as much as the front half. If there's one thing I wish someone had just said "You need to cut this" about, it's that.

im sure they'll listen to Reason

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Operation Demon Hole :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reaper would be a lot cooler if the melee attacks couldn't just lead to a graze and have poo poo all happen.

Also my psi-op this campaign has failed to dominate all but one advent trooper what a lovely soldier she is.

e: Speaking of which can psi-ops get bonus skills from the AWC?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 7, 2016

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've been wondering about the Speaker, and how during the final mission he keeps taunting you deposits gettin seemingly getting beat up by an angry crowd.

He's almost definitely an improved Thin Man. It makes me want an Operation: Slingshot-sequel mission where you fight a bunch of Speakers with Thin Man abilities in the facility where they make more of him.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr Christmas posted:

I've been wondering about the Speaker, and how during the final mission he keeps taunting you deposits gettin seemingly getting beat up by an angry crowd.

He's almost definitely an improved Thin Man. It makes me want an Operation: Slingshot-sequel mission where you fight a bunch of Speakers with Thin Man abilities in the facility where they make more of him.

I like to think he's the Thin Man that looks you over while looking super pleased with himself after XCOM loses its base defense in the flashback.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Also getting a weird issue where some of my toons have their appearance being locked to 0, and are also invisible. So I just have floating heads and guns.

edit: As an aside, Im toying with starting a spreadsheet of compatabilities of mods.

Started here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WQCpPC0jRk6BfmgBdWwAF0SneBbGYvakBhgNDfu8IWk/edit#gid=0

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 7, 2016

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

RBA Starblade posted:

Reaper would be a lot cooler if the melee attacks couldn't just lead to a graze and have poo poo all happen.

Also my psi-op this campaign has failed to dominate all but one advent trooper what a lovely soldier she is.

e: Speaking of which can psi-ops get bonus skills from the AWC?

I didn't notice any of my psi ops getting bonus skills.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

:cmon:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In case you guys are totally blind, watch the new game cutscene. The camera lingers on a set of like liver spots he has on neck, that Thin Men had. He's not a collaborator, he's just more Xeno Scum.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Every time a UFO hunts me, "evasion" means "hurry back to home base and perch there for twelve hours until the UFO tracks you there".

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Kingtheninja posted:

Do psi ops benefit from AWC as well?

Yes, though perhaps due to a bug. You have to open their abilities screen in the armory at their every level and navigate between soldiers with left/right buttons. Just opening the abilities won't give them AWC ability even at correct level, only coming there from the browsing left/right.

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013
What triggers the landed UFO assault? I saw one in my first failed run and none at all in the one I just completed.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

SynthOrange posted:

Oh man I dig up the definitions for the Faceless aoe claw weapon. I could totally put this on a xcom melee weapon.

Something like a two handed sword, battleaxe or warhammer. :unsmigghh:

Should it get a panic effect or disorient? Hmmm.

Giant shears, like the gardeners have in Dark Souls DLC

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Well, I finished my run on Commander. Great game, but my god is it a hot mess of bugs. I had everything from graphical glitches making the entire screen strobe purple and green, line of sight bugs with enemies walking through solid walls, animation bugs with Obama getting stuck in the struggling animation after being bound by snaketits and just gliding around the map like that, AI bugs where shooting a charging lancer made him teleport around and gain an extra turn, and outright repeatable crashes on loading a mission.

The last mission was a blast. The highlight had to be dominating a Gatekeeper and then using regular mind control to bring back tasty snacks for my new best friend.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

SpookyLizard posted:

In case you guys are totally blind, watch the new game cutscene. The camera lingers on a set of like liver spots he has on neck, that Thin Men had. He's not a collaborator, he's just more Xeno Scum.

He is a Turian from Mass Effect, because he has the Same voice actor as Garrus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's clearly one of these:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Tripple Codex pods sure are a thing...

...but Faceoff is a thing too!

ADVENT tac net making some strong plays here

You know those haven defenses where most of the pods decide to clump together and activate at once while a faceless also decides to pop out by himself and then swipe charges you right away? Yeah, good times

Also the doomticker in my first run of the game is now two ticks away from completion. But I only need to connect 2 regions and then strike a base to fix it. I even stopped a dark event that would give another tick. I'm like six days away from striking that base. I got it. I can do it. NO PROBLEM AT ALL

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 7, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Getting textures correct can be a huge pain in the rear end when the editor and in-game lighting dont behave the same at all.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Captainicus posted:

Are there any particularly good custom class mods that I should get? Got one called Trooper which was pretty good, a more general 'shoot the mans with the rifle' class compared to the base classes which all use their special weapons.

My latest game has been an exploration into custom classes.

I've been liking the Gunblade even though its got some kludged animations to make two secondary weapons work. As a warning, there's 2 versions of the related mod: one with minor sword buffs, one without.

I like Super Soldier as well. Its a tankier class, with a nice mix of offense and defence.

This Officer is interesting, but almost feels too good. I definitely like the passive powers, though.

These two are fairly similiar, but share one thing: they force you to choose what you want. The cerberus is one i'm just starting to use, but on the face of it its interesting as a class that has 2 secondary weapons and perks to go along with it, and it makes you choose.
Cerberus is interesting,
Psi-op by xp

The Rogue is made to use the SMG pack, and its been on my list to check out because of it.

As far as hilarious concepts: The Necromancer, hands down.

Any more out there worth experimenting with?

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 7, 2016

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
One of my psi soldiers died and her ghost is locking up the second slot in my psi chamber. I guess I trained her too well.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Went ahead and ended my current game, last mission super buggy. First attempt it didn't even load and the game froze and errored out, 2nd time it worked but the ending cinematic was decoupled from the sound, so no ones voice lined up with whoever was speaking. Actually that bug affected everything after the blacksite vial. I did actually enjoy the last mission though, for what its worth. Think i'm going to just put it to the side until they patch it since the game really does perform like poo poo, long loads, choppy framerate etc. As soon as they patch it up i'll dive back into commander difficulty with some mods. I did get back into Xcom:EW though after it - right now i have a superstar heavy that with hidden potential and not always equal has a shitload of aim that i'm building the team around. Dude can snipe a thin man at max vision no problem.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I didn't have any crashes during my game, but the last mission crashed to desktop four times.

True story

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

SynthOrange posted:

Getting textures correct can be a huge pain in the rear end when the editor and in-game lighting dont behave the same at all.

On the plus side, you have 99 master balls you can use to catch the aliens

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
I don't understand h ow when I was a useless teenager I was really good at XCOM and beat the agme and used 3.5 diskettes to install it in DOS and had no prob lems flying around killing aliens, and all my friends and I would draw maps and grids and tg alk about xcom ...

these days, I buy xcom 2 put it on iron man, get loving owned repeatedly so I put it on a lower difficulty and guess what keep dying on like the 3rd or 4th mission ... maybe it is time to put it on easy and not give a poo poo? Is there any reason to play on normal for a first play through ? I feel like I reall ysuck but it seems like you are just super weak early on and I dont like dying and starting over ...

I also dont like the timed missionthey stress me out but I dont want to remove them because then I feel like a bigger baby than i am.

Is there a reason to not pla with mods lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reaper seems kind of lovely thanks to the dodge mechanic. Even if it hits the graze damage means it turns off instead probably. Oh well, just need to switch back to rapid fire.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Meowbot posted:

I don't understand h ow when I was a useless teenager I was really good at XCOM and beat the agme and used 3.5 diskettes to install it in DOS and had no prob lems flying around killing aliens, and all my friends and I would draw maps and grids and tg alk about xcom ...

these days, I buy xcom 2 put it on iron man, get loving owned repeatedly so I put it on a lower difficulty and guess what keep dying on like the 3rd or 4th mission ... maybe it is time to put it on easy and not give a poo poo? Is there any reason to play on normal for a first play through ? I feel like I reall ysuck but it seems like you are just super weak early on and I dont like dying and starting over ...

I also dont like the timed missionthey stress me out but I dont want to remove them because then I feel like a bigger baby than i am.

You are bad. I had to cheese my first like 10 missions with reloading saves too but then managed to go through ironman commander with losing like 2 soldiers in the beginning of the game.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Meowbot posted:

This post reads like you should play on easy.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
OK, installed this a week ago and didn't have time to play it beyond loading up the tutorial and gatecrasher, which worked fine. Just now I've just been trying to start a campaign and all of a sudden I:

a) Get no voice over from Bradford either in the skyranger or any of the in mission ones for Gatecrasher

b) Hard lock my system on attempting to restart the mission (disabled all mods and it still happens).

c) Hard lock my system on attempting to quit to main menu (disabled all mods and it still happens).

d) Hard lock my system on attempting to quit to desktop (disabled all mods and it still happens).

Has there been an update that's broken a bunch of poo poo or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Reaper is In the Zone with sword so you need to set it up like you would do with ITZ.
I also mostly use it against Advent troops who cannot dodge anyway.