Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Speaking of Stellaris, there's a new dev diary about the AI.

Every dev diary makes me more excited for this game. I love the sound of each ethos dictating AI personalities, and having specific personalities for Fallen Empires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Playing around AI personalities is going to be a lot of fun. In multiplayer I want to be able to bait other players into colonizing holy planets without them knowing, then tattle on them and snatch up a few of their planets myself when the elders come knocking :getin:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

In multiplayer I want to be able to bait other players into colonizing holy planets without them knowing

"Hey man, colonize this planet, I swear it's fine. I left it open just for you."

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I think I'm more hyped for Stellaris now then HOI4

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Tuskin38 posted:

I think I'm more hyped for Stellaris now then HOI4

I have been more excited for a few weeks, it just seems so good and finally a 4x game that I can enjoy after testing some and finding them lacking.

Have there been any mentions if there will be ideas like in EU4 or are you completely set up at the start?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

I have been more excited for a few weeks, it just seems so good and finally a 4x game that I can enjoy after testing some and finding them lacking.

Have there been any mentions if there will be ideas like in EU4 or are you completely set up at the start?

There are edicts and policies that you will get access to as the game progresses.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Not a big deal for we super nerds who drop :10bux: to talk about videogames, but the Stellaris team recently updated the minimum requirements for the game to:

OS: Windows 7 x86 or newer, Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.0 Ghz or Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @ 2.66 Ghz,
Memory: 2 GB RAM,
Graphics: AMD HD 5770 or Nvidia GTX 460 with 1024MB VRAM, Latest available WHQL drivers from both manufacturers,
DirectX: 9.0c,
Storage: 4 GB available space,
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900, 512mb video memory required, shader model 3 required
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 4 GB available space
Sound Card: Direct X- compatible sound card

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Not a big deal for we super nerds who drop :10bux: to talk about videogames, but the Stellaris team recently updated the minimum requirements for the game to:

OS: Windows 7 x86 or newer, Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.0 Ghz or Intel Core 2 Quad 9400 @ 2.66 Ghz,
Graphics: AMD HD 5770 or Nvidia GTX 460 with 1024MB VRAM, Latest available WHQL drivers from both manufacturers,

MINIMUM:
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900, 512mb video memory required, shader model 3 required

I'm not going to go look at the stats to confirm but I very much doubt many steam users are still running core 2 anything.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone seen any impressions/articles about Stellaris at the PCGamer Weekender thing? I was pretty sure someone said there would be a build available to play there.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

MINIMUM:

No linux port?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

uPen posted:

I'm not going to go look at the stats to confirm but I very much doubt many steam users are still running core 2 anything.

Oh no doubt. I just saw the news posted on Twitter so I thought I'd pass it along here. Any news is good news!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Elias_Maluco posted:

No linux port?

That's a hella bummer, since Para has confirmed that HOI4 is going to have Linux support (which HOI3 didn't)

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

John Charity Spring posted:

Speaking of Stellaris, there's a new dev diary about the AI.

Every dev diary makes me more excited for this game. I love the sound of each ethos dictating AI personalities, and having specific personalities for Fallen Empires.

That Federation Builder looks so bummed about being declared a rival. :smith:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Elias_Maluco posted:

No linux port?

Check the steam page yourself, Linux and Mac support is all listed there. I would be surprised if we suddenly decided to drop Linux support since we have several programmers working exclusively on the games through Linux. Mac is just lucky that Podcat likes it(and have more players than Linux).

Empress Theonora posted:

That Federation Builder looks so bummed about being declared a rival. :smith:

"Aw come on man, we can so be BFF - Best Federation Forever"

Groogy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 7, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Groogy posted:

Check the steam page yourself, Linux and Mac support is all listed there. I would be surprised if we suddenly decided to drop Linux support since we have several programmers working exclusively on the games through Linux. Mac is just lucky that Podcat likes it(and have more players than Linux).

Great, thanks.

I did expected it would be a linux version, that's why I asked, since all recent paradox games had

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I like how every single alien has a head on top of shoulders, even fungi and insects and some kind of creature made of clouds and tentacles. It's like a galaxy filled with people wearing horse head masks!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

DrSunshine posted:

I like how every single alien has a head on top of shoulders, even fungi and insects and some kind of creature made of clouds and tentacles. It's like a galaxy filled with people wearing horse head masks!

Nah, there's a bunch that don't. Including floating fungus gas bags (who are among my favorites to play).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wiz posted:

Nah, there's a bunch that don't. Including floating fungus gas bags (who are among my favorites to play).

If you're going to spoil it you might as well post a screenshot, because that sounds cool and I want to see what it looks like.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

You'd think fungoid would automatically preclude humanoid body types.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DrSunshine posted:

I think this came up in the thread before and the counter-argument is that having a head atop the body has many evolutionary advantages; there is a reason that it is the main layout of living things on Earth, after all :v:

I still do laugh though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

You'd think fungoid would automatically preclude humanoid body types.

Not according to evolution experts Dungeons and Dragons:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah so far most of the aliens I've seen all suffer from the scify trope of "a human actor with a rubber mask could play this alien". Would love to see more alien body types. I know they probably have just a few general body shapes in order for the clothing system, but seeing the same generally-human shoulders/bust in most of the race screens feels like a rubber mask party.

But I mean show me any 4x or scify game where most aliens aren't just "Slightly differently shaped humans with weird heads", it's par for the course.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Wiz posted:

The Affront?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe the Stellaris aliens actually are human actors with rubber masks.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/07/how-to-fix-the-4x/

An RPS article on 4x games that gives some love to Vicky-2. Just in case people are interested in that sort of thing...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

YF-23 posted:

Maybe the Stellaris aliens actually are human actors with rubber masks.

They mentioned end-game research and events that explain the origins or destiny of various races. This should be one of them.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiz posted:

no you're the gas bag!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/07/how-to-fix-the-4x/

An RPS article on 4x games that gives some love to Vicky-2. Just in case people are interested in that sort of thing...

Huh. Rob Zacny. Of course it is.

Which is a good thing by the way. The man has Good Opinions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

But I mean show me any 4x or scify game where most aliens aren't just "Slightly differently shaped humans with weird heads", it's par for the course.

Ascendancy doesn't even have humans or humans-with-green-skin aliens. I think the closest thing to human is some humanoid rat-people.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Maybe I'm the weird one because I want my sci-fi game to have humans and vulcans and klingons :(

I mean I want that and also for the game to be better than Galactic Civilizations...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Maybe I'm the weird one because I want my sci-fi game to have humans and vulcans and klingons :(

I mean I want that and also for the game to be better than Galactic Civilizations... Birth Of The Federation.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

double nine posted:

no you're the gas bag!

Huh. Rob Zacny. Of course it is.

Which is a good thing by the way. The man has Good Opinions.

I think he does hit on why I've drifted more in to the Paradox games camp and away from Civ and other games. In a lot of standard 4x, all progress is forward. Expansion is sometimes balanced against to prevent excessive blobbing, but all technological and social ideas are purely moves forward. There's never much of a sense of tradeoff or that progress is not without its risks. I think Vicky and EU do a decent job of this- probably the most fun I have in an EU game is navigating the politics of the HRE and the reformation.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Does anybody remember which dev diary went into the different ethics?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah so far most of the aliens I've seen all suffer from the scify trope of "a human actor with a rubber mask could play this alien". Would love to see more alien body types. I know they probably have just a few general body shapes in order for the clothing system, but seeing the same generally-human shoulders/bust in most of the race screens feels like a rubber mask party.

Hell of a rubber mask, imo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Empress Theonora posted:

Does anybody remember which dev diary went into the different ethics?
The stickied DD archive post on the paradox forums has the thread titles.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

They mentioned end-game research and events that explain the origins or destiny of various races. This should be one of them.

A Truman Show ending for Stellaris would be amazing.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Ofaloaf posted:

Someone's been playing too much Mass Effect it seems.

I'm glad for the ugly and unrelateable alien types though. I won't feel as bad about them when my nuclear bootheel stomps down on them in the form of a mushroom cloud.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Owls as an enslaved host species is still the best space 4x species ever.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

The first diplomacy tech in GalCiv 2 has a description starting with "The trick to having good relations with alien species is to first avoid killing them. This may be harder than one might think as many aliens are just incredibly disgusting."

I had that leap into my head the instant I saw this guy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The first diplomacy tech in GalCiv 2 has a description starting with "The trick to having good relations with alien species is to first avoid killing them. This may be harder than one might think as many aliens are just incredibly disgusting."

I had that leap into my head the instant I saw this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tV9dkzd25k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

YF-23 posted:

A Truman Show ending for Stellaris would be amazing.

That was maybe one of the dumbest movies / ideas I've ever seen, but I guess some people find it resonates with them.