Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Devor posted:

I imagine this is a very minor-road roundabout, probably with a tiny little mini-roundabout rather than fully designed 100-ft diameter modern roundabout with channelizing islands and whatnot. And after it was installed, there was a fender bender or neighbor complaint, and the city said "gently caress it, put the stop signs back, it still operates well enough from a traffic perspective".

Fin.

They are small ones, but the stop signs have never been removed.
It is confusing as gently caress because no one knows who is yielding to who because you have the conflict of stop sign yield rules and round about ones. If there was an accident, I believe I could easily argue from a legal perspective that the city is some percentage liable, but i'd prefer not to get into said accident. However, if I go to a traffic engineer and say "I'm a lawyer and I could sue you" that won't go over well. If I could say "the MUTCD on page 52 says don't do this," I'd probable get further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

nm posted:

They are small ones, but the stop signs have never been removed.
It is confusing as gently caress because no one knows who is yielding to who because you have the conflict of stop sign yield rules and round about ones. If there was an accident, I believe I could easily argue from a legal perspective that the city is some percentage liable, but i'd prefer not to get into said accident. However, if I go to a traffic engineer and say "I'm a lawyer and I could sue you" that won't go over well. If I could say "the MUTCD on page 52 says don't do this," I'd probable get further.

MUTCD section 2B.09

Standard:
02 A YIELD (R1-2) sign shall be used to assign right-of-way at the entrance to a roundabout.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cichlidae posted:

MUTCD section 2B.09

Standard:
02 A YIELD (R1-2) sign shall be used to assign right-of-way at the entrance to a roundabout.

If it's a stop-controlled intersection, it's not a roundabout. :colbert:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Sounds like one of those circular definitions.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

The Deadly Hume posted:

we'll figure out, in a roundabout way.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Devor posted:

The Deadly Hume posted:

I know you're joking, but I looked up the MUTCD's definition and it's literally "a circular intersection with yield control at entry," so...

ROUNDABOUT MAN STRIKES AGAIN

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Just came back from a trip to Minneapolis, and that area has some *huge* merging issues. Quick one that comes to mind:

To get from Ikea at the Mall of America to Minneapolis, you must:
* Turn right onto Lindau Lane
* Get into the left lane of Lindau Lane
* This flies over to another lane, where you must now merge right, while the people in that lane are trying to merge into yours.

It's insanity.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/44....2d44.977753!3e0

You can see the third bullet point there where the blue path line crosses over American Blvd. The merging area is *very* tiny, maybe 10 car lengths. Here's the street view of the entire merging area: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8595641,-93.2466015,3a,75y,18.19h,74.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw_k5MAv1KHRS3-P_l1ac1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Was this really the best they could do in adding this very crowded business district to the highway?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The ikea was built many many years after that road network. No one used to enter from the right.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

nm posted:

The ikea was built many many years after that road network. No one used to enter from the right.

I will take "Reasons that access control exists in the civilized part of the country", for $800, Alex.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
I just found out today (in class, no less) that Orléans recently built a new tram line. It's gorgeous!

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.9014677,1.9055987,3a,75y,59.89h,82.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7HmGUS6W97k82C3GQFPDeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm so jealous that a city the size of Hartford has such amazing public transport. I can't think of a similarly sized city in New England with the same kind of infrastructure.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cichlidae posted:

I just found out today (in class, no less) that Orléans recently built a new tram line. It's gorgeous!

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.9014677,1.9055987,3a,75y,59.89h,82.96t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7HmGUS6W97k82C3GQFPDeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm so jealous that a city the size of Hartford has such amazing public transport. I can't think of a similarly sized city in New England with the same kind of infrastructure.

But the USA is a big country so it's can't have transit in its cities.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Also poor people might use it.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.9022633,1.8597982,3a,24.7y,226.57h,87.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFqMGo7Xh2rwvlbmgYuhfEA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Move the map elsewhere for a before/after picture.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 8, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

France has been deploying quite a few tram lines all over. There's a real boom of them all over europe and from what I've been following they're mostly being built close to budget and quickly become indispensable links in the transit system. I wish north america would take the concept a little more seriously. Not just the anti-transit crowd, but the people building them need to take it more seriously and build a proper functional peace of modern transit, not a bus on rails to help sell condos.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I may have posted about this one before but I can't check from the app.

I'm starting to hate this intersection:

Cars coming from the north, west, and east have stop signs. Cars coming from the south do not. I assume this is because they don't want cars backed up across the railroad tracks (but somehow the light going the other direction doesn't cause the same problem?) but the result is an infinite supply of cars turning left without having to stop making it impossible for anyone else to cross the intersection. Also, not a design issue, but half of them are retards who don't use their signals, so you think someone is going straight until they turn in front of you and honk like you're at fault for going.

What's the fix? A no left turn sign? (They can just go straight and turn left at the next intersection) Make it a proper four way stop for the 23 hours and 55 minutes a day there isn't a train there?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Maybe remove the stop control on the northern approach? I don't see any particular reason it needs a stop control. Replace it with a yield and put a yield on the south approach (for consistencies sake) and paint over the crossing area with big yellow road markings and install signs that say DONT STOP OVER THE CROSSING YOU FUCKWIT.

but that depends on the relative traffic flows going through the intersection.
Signalising this intersection and the one on the other side of the crossing would allow more complete control, but is orders of magnitude more expensive than a couple signs and some paint.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Lobsterpillar posted:

Maybe remove the stop control on the northern approach? I don't see any particular reason it needs a stop control. Replace it with a yield and put a yield on the south approach (for consistencies sake) and paint over the crossing area with big yellow road markings and install signs that say DONT STOP OVER THE CROSSING YOU FUCKWIT.

but that depends on the relative traffic flows going through the intersection.
Signalising this intersection and the one on the other side of the crossing would allow more complete control, but is orders of magnitude more expensive than a couple signs and some paint.

Those northbound lefts would stop on the tracks, no matter how many signs you put to tell them otherwise. In this case, since it's a grade crossing, and people's lives are at stake, it's worth ponying up the cash for signalization. It's got its own signal warrant in the MUTCD and there are special funding sources available.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The intersection to the south of the tracks is already signalized. The problem is that there is no phase when cars are not pouring into that left turn lane. I think just adding an all red phase to that intersection would make it easier for the other directions to get through the three way stop, but it would also jam things up further south at peak times. I don't know if that's a valid phase to have though.

Exactly nobody wants to see them add another set of lights to that clusterfuck so I doubt that suggestion would go anywhere.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Let's say you get on a highway at exit 48 normally from the right, and exit 49 is a left exit. Do those signs saying "no crossing to exit 49" do anything at all?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Javid posted:

I may have posted about this one before but I can't check from the app.

I'm starting to hate this intersection:

Cars coming from the north, west, and east have stop signs. Cars coming from the south do not. I assume this is because they don't want cars backed up across the railroad tracks (but somehow the light going the other direction doesn't cause the same problem?) but the result is an infinite supply of cars turning left without having to stop making it impossible for anyone else to cross the intersection. Also, not a design issue, but half of them are retards who don't use their signals, so you think someone is going straight until they turn in front of you and honk like you're at fault for going.

What's the fix? A no left turn sign? (They can just go straight and turn left at the next intersection) Make it a proper four way stop for the 23 hours and 55 minutes a day there isn't a train there?
I had a look at the spot you referred - saying where these things are is VERY helpful, I found it after some detective work.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4343755,-123.168764,16.75z

Anyway on first look I thought they could elevate the railway (or reroute it out of town completely) and maybe do something about where the two town-side ramps finish up, but the town is so small it looks like they couldn't find the cash to justify it.

If they could, then elevate the rail, chop off Depot St and realign Pine street so it continues the line from the north where it meets up with the ramps, and have both Classick Dr and Depot St terminate at a right angle because a 5 way intersection at the ramp junction would be as bad as the status quo. Whoever owns the gas station there wouldn't be happy since there goes all the passing traffic to and from the freeway, but who gives a poo poo.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

smackfu posted:

Let's say you get on a highway at exit 48 normally from the right, and exit 49 is a left exit. Do those signs saying "no crossing to exit 49" do anything at all?

When your aggressive merging to take the exit illegally causes an accident, they give you a ticket and find you at fault so your insurance pays out and you can't get other insurance and you end up living on the street.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Golbez posted:

* This flies over to another lane, where you must now merge right, while the people in that lane are trying to merge into yours.

It's insanity.

You think they would think this over for a Ikea of all retail outlets. Those things are practically self contained traffic jam generators. There's a ikea here where it is not unheard of for them to close the motorway exit because else the ikea traffic jam will fill the entire motorway real quick.

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015

smackfu posted:

I'm not an engineer--yet--but I get the feeling that once you have two opposite ramps in such a short distance like that, it's a lost cause.

Bizarrely, I can think of at least one such configuration in the Columbus, OH area (ramp merges from left, exit is on right) where a posted sign actually encourages that behavior.

This view gives a better idea of just how short a distance drivers have to actually cross over. You have to cut over before the merge taper even ends!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Cichlidae posted:

Yeah but look at those soulless three story buildings. Gross. Gimme a strip mall with twice as much parking as retail space any day of the week! :barf:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cicero posted:

Yeah but look at those soulless three story buildings. Gross. Gimme a strip mall with twice as much parking as retail space any day of the week! :barf:

It breaks my brain but a lot of people actually feel that way. I was looking at some pictures of european cities on some photo site. World class european city centres with street trees and trams and parks and plazas and half the comments were "oh my god where's the open space" "what an urban hell hole" "I don't know, this place feels disturbing, no space between the buildings" "no place for trees or nature! I couldn't live like that!"

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

It breaks my brain but a lot of people actually feel that way. I was looking at some pictures of european cities on some photo site. World class european city centres with street trees and trams and parks and plazas and half the comments were "oh my god where's the open space" "what an urban hell hole" "I don't know, this place feels disturbing, no space between the buildings" "no place for trees or nature! I couldn't live like that!"

When you've lived in a suburb all your life, it starts to feel normal. I know I used to think I could never live in a city. After living in Compiègne for half a year, my thoughts shifted. I'd love to live in a city, so long as it's a healthy, vibrant city with good transit options.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Golbez posted:

For the first two bullet points. The right onto Lindau is a double protected right. To get into Lindau's left lane you get into the outside right lane and wait for the green arrow.

Third bullet point: Yeah the merge is pretty short. In its defense the only traffic that uses those ramps is Lindau Ln/Killebrew Dr (The MOA exits) to West 494/North 77. The 494 <---> 77 movements have their own ramps. So there not a lot of traffic using the merge.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

NihilismNow posted:

You think they would think this over for a Ikea of all retail outlets. Those things are practically self contained traffic jam generators. There's a ikea here where it is not unheard of for them to close the motorway exit because else the ikea traffic jam will fill the entire motorway real quick.

Holland? I heard the one in Delft had to stop its 1 Euro breakfasts on Sundays because of that. :v:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Silver95280 posted:

For the first two bullet points. The right onto Lindau is a double protected right. To get into Lindau's left lane you get into the outside right lane and wait for the green arrow.

Third bullet point: Yeah the merge is pretty short. In its defense the only traffic that uses those ramps is Lindau Ln/Killebrew Dr (The MOA exits) to West 494/North 77. The 494 <---> 77 movements have their own ramps. So there not a lot of traffic using the merge.

Based on my memory and Google Street View, there is no indication prior to the intersection that you want to be in the outside right lane. So turning into the rightmost Lindau Ln, and then discovering you need to move over, is a reasonable outcome. (However, Street View was taken in October 2013 - and for the MOA area, that is a long time, so it's entirely possible the signage situation has improved and I simply didn't notice)

And while this may be true, my experience of the matter was that at ~3pm on a Saturday, both lanes were full and merging was very nasty. Also, "not a lot of traffic using the merge" and "The MOA exits" doesn't seem to mesh, since one can assume the "MOA exits" will have a hell of a lot of traffic.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Fragrag posted:

Holland? I heard the one in Delft had to stop its 1 Euro breakfasts on Sundays because of that. :v:

That's also because people go to many kinds of stores by bike here, though. Stuff from Ikea is often bulky enough that people will choose to go by car, so it generates more car traffic than other types of stores. In the US all stores would have mostly car traffic, and an Ikea wouldn't be such an exceptional traffic generator.
But yeah, that doesn't apply for the breakfast!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pfft drive to Ikea?? Anyone doing that should have their dutch citizenship revoked.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Those cargo bikes are not available at most Ikea stores. The bottom one is a prototype that is for rent in Delft only.
Every Ikea has 1500+ parking spaces.

People visit Ikea by bicycle, maybe 1 in 50 customers or so?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Apparently the modal share for bikes at our IKEA up north is higher, but that's probably more a function of it being (relatively) close to downtown compared to the other ones in the NL. A 1 euro breakfast that's maybe ten minutes away? Okay sure.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've definitely brought actual furniture home from IKEA with public transit on several occasions. Rarely shopped there on bike though, mostly due to locations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah I brought a book case on the bus once. +1 would do again. They do delivery, too, though, that's how we got the sofa home...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Saw a neat map in another thread:

Avenida
Jul 14, 2015
Recently some states, including my home state of Ohio, have begun mandating that STOP signs be posted at all passive grade crossings instead of YIELD signs.

Is that a really good idea? I mean, I appreciate the intent, but my immediate thought upon learning of this is that it will inevitably lead to people doing rolling stops, or even just blowing through them...and thus creating a "crying wolf" effect for the few crossings where a complete stop is actually required to make a safe judgment.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Devor posted:

FYI, this was their reponse.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Why do road designers get so excited about putting a grass median in the middle of roads? I've asked them at public meetings and they cannot site any safety statistic for the increased cost of doing this. They just say it 'looks nicer'.

Somebody has to cut the grass or it looks terrible, not to mention the cost of extra curbs and maintenance down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

maporfic posted:

Why do road designers get so excited about putting a grass median in the middle of roads? I've asked them at public meetings and they cannot site any safety statistic for the increased cost of doing this. They just say it 'looks nicer'.

Somebody has to cut the grass or it looks terrible, not to mention the cost of extra curbs and maintenance down the road.

A few reasons I can think of:

- keeping the lanes of opposite traffic separated is a margin of safety and a grass strip is cheaper than anything else. A driver drifting off the road to the left doesn't immediately end up in a head-on collision, and soft grass will slow down a runaway car a bit and a chance for the opposite traffic to realize something is wrong and react.
- separating the lanes keeps the headlights of opposite traffic out of your eyes.
- it provides room for future expansion without needing more right-of-way.
- it also looks nice, giving drivers something to see other than gray concrete. Some states plant them with wildflowers.