Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

They did a whole bunch of them:

http://kotaku.com/quake-is-good-for-you-1609654451

Quake is forever is my personal favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Ddraig posted:

For the doom cover they should do a homage to the weirdest Quake ad ever made:

Holy poo poo. Ever re-see something you completely forget about and go into that weird catatonic nostalgia state?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ddraig posted:

They did a whole bunch of them:

http://kotaku.com/quake-is-good-for-you-1609654451

Quake is forever is my personal favourite.

Wow, their marketing team was ahead of the super ironic curve by quite a few years. Looks like Adult Swim ads.

Weird, but I guess it sticks with you. Like that old guy on the cover of Phalanx SNES.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
At least they're not as embarrassing as some of the ads for Daikatana.

I even quite liked it :shobon:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

For the doom cover they should do a homage to the weirdest Quake ad ever made:

This makes senses 90's wise.

Most of your marketing was in computer game magazines at the time. So your ad had to stand out, be different than the others.
Every third ad had a monster or starship in it, so you had to do the opposite.
Hence the bizarreness of it all.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

happyhippy posted:

This makes senses 90's wise.

Most of your marketing was in computer game magazines at the time. So your ad had to stand out, be different than the others.
Every third ad had a monster or starship in it, so you had to do the opposite.
Hence the bizarreness of it all.

Yeah, you're not wrong. This one was an advertisement to renew subscription for Nintendo Power:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, you're not wrong. This one was an advertisement to renew subscription for Nintendo Power:

In a pre-CGI age, that ad means one of two things happened:

1. Someone spent hours lovingly drawing really realistic toenail clippings in a jar

2. Someone actually collected up a jar full of toenail clippings, and then photographed it

Both possibilities are pretty loving wacky!

And speaking of wacky, when I'm not phone posting I've been meaning to do a mild :effort:-post about Doom merchandise and memorabilia (and not just the Doom comic, which I'd love to get a physical copy of).

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Xenomrph posted:

And speaking of wacky, when I'm not phone posting I've been meaning to do a mild :effort:-post about Doom merchandise and memorabilia (and not just the Doom comic, which I'd love to get a physical copy of).

I own the Doom novels and a few of the pewter figurines from Reaper Miniatures, as well as the poster that came in the Master Levels box. I'd love to know what else is out there (besides the obviously available stuff on Bethesda's store).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I used to have the Doom board game. It went missing after I moved house and I'm 90% sure the moving guys stole it.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Mung Dynasty posted:

I own the Doom novels and a few of the pewter figurines from Reaper Miniatures, as well as the poster that came in the Master Levels box. I'd love to know what else is out there (besides the obviously available stuff on Bethesda's store).

If you don't have a copy of the comic your collection is woefully incomplete.

Only comic book I own. :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why is the move speed so slow

edit:it looks faster in more recent builds i guess

Pomp fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 6, 2016

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Xenomrph posted:

In a pre-CGI age, that ad means one of two things happened:

1. Someone spent hours lovingly drawing really realistic toenail clippings in a jar

2. Someone actually collected up a jar full of toenail clippings, and then photographed it

Both possibilities are pretty loving wacky!

it's probably plastic shavings you baby

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Ahundredbux posted:

it's probably plastic shavings you baby

yeah, there's more than likely a million things that can be used to get that look

they don't even look all that real

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pomp posted:

why is the move speed so slow

edit:it looks faster in more recent builds i guess

Its pretty fast when you're actually running, and as far as I can tell there's no stamina like some recent Id games (doom 3 had sprint meter, but you had unlimited in hell I think?)

Problem is lots of the demos just have people walking around looking at stuff. The main campaign trailer looks pretty slow at first, but then if you skip to the bit at the end where he's just running around in this one outdoor arena shooting dudes, he's pretty much using always-run at that point and it looks MUCH faster and better.

As long as I can turn on always-run and don't have stamina, that'll be fast enough for me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mung Dynasty posted:

Well in true Doom fashion, here's a trio of plushies:

Yes they're on the Bethesda store, but they're too funny not to link. My cat likes to kidnap the Cacodemon when I'm at work, it's extra funny because it's bigger than her head and she can barely get a grip on it with her mouth.

As Mung Dynasty mentioned there's the pewter miniatures by Reaper, here's a pic of them all painted up:

For scale, the Pinky demon is a little under an inch tall.
I have the Pinky demon, I think I got it for preordering Doom 3. I've been trying to find the others on eBay over the years, but they're not exactly common and they tend to fetch higher prices than I'm willing to pay.

The now out-of-print Doom boardgame is also pretty great, it's basically Space Hulk with a Doom 3 skin. 1 player controls the demons while all other players control a Marine, and they shoot their way through various levels while the demon player tries to be as big of an rear end in a top hat as possible. Surrounding players with teleported monsters, making guns jam at the worst possible moment, locking doors between players to split up the group, there's a bunch of options for the demon player to be a colossal fucker and it's hilarious.

And if you've got $400 to burn, there's the Doom anniversary statue, which is totally loving ridiculous:

Photos don't quite do this thing justice, so here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG0uRObd_Bg

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 6, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I used to have a full set of the Doom pewter figurines, and recently I wondered where they went and then I remembered I sold them 10 years ago for $350 or something.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I own the Cyberdemon model and painted it this past year:

I also have the Baron of Hell from the Doom 3 preorder thing but it's unpainted and I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ddraig posted:

I used to have the Doom board game. It went missing after I moved house and I'm 90% sure the moving guys stole it.

I have the board game, but my game night group's filled with babies who won't play. :(

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
the only good thing to ever come out of california was one trip back in 2994 i was in whittier claifornia and MY PARENTS bought me the "id anniversary" I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that besides everquest I have never put time into a game more than quake 1 ... I used to map, texture, model and do eeeeverything imaginable with that game short of coding because I was too much of a stoner s.

back in 2007 I was workin in salt lake city and I had the cyberdemon someone just posted but I cant link the pic so heres a image

god that thing was awesome. I always kept the poster thinking I would have a wife and she would like Quake, but turns out women dont like me for 3 decades so whatever I lost it ... but one time I was working in salt lake city and I had that doom cyberdemon on m ydesk and this girl with the hugest set of knockers knew that I wanted to put the minto my mouth well turns out I did but she stole that fuckin cyberdemon, you're an rear end in a top hat Brianna. I even asked her about it yers later and she said she didnt know, but she posted a picture on facebox and I was like wait a second, that looke like a cyberdemon. I lived a long ways away so theres my story about sucking titties and the cyber demon

I still have the book that came with it, but the original Quake CD etc is forever gone. Out of all the things i Have ever owned in my life including a FleshLIght and a Taylor Swift calendar I can say that the ID ANNIVERSARY was my favorite owned item

I haven't been following this DOOM because the Alpha was so fuckin terrible (I had it on the XBOX ONE back around Christm) but I was driving home from Arizona visiting MY EX GIRLFRIEND when the e3 bethesda rpoess conference was on, despite it was raining and there was trucks in the road I held iup imny IPHONE 6 device and with half an eye on the road and half on eye on Todd loving howard I watched the whole entire fallout and doom press conference but good golly is Doom got to be better than Fallout 4.

I still haven't played project brutality despite everyone saying it is the best version of Doom.

I want all of these Doom figures. I have never had anything on my desk but disappoointment and a bong but this looks like its time to make a change in e the right direction, stat. exc ept its all too expensive now that I Finish typing about to hit Submit knowing I cant have them. that anniversary one in particular woohee that does look good. I also want a quake sweater and/or a wife that wears quake sweaters with me at the holiday

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Meowbot posted:

the only good thing to ever come out of california was one trip back in 2994 i was in whittier claifornia and MY PARENTS bought me the "id anniversary" I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that besides everquest I have never put time into a game more than quake 1 ... I used to map, texture, model and do eeeeverything imaginable with that game short of coding because I was too much of a stoner s.

back in 2007 I was workin in salt lake city and I had the cyberdemon someone just posted but I cant link the pic so heres a image

god that thing was awesome. I always kept the poster thinking I would have a wife and she would like Quake, but turns out women dont like me for 3 decades so whatever I lost it ... but one time I was working in salt lake city and I had that doom cyberdemon on m ydesk and this girl with the hugest set of knockers knew that I wanted to put the minto my mouth well turns out I did but she stole that fuckin cyberdemon, you're an rear end in a top hat Brianna. I even asked her about it yers later and she said she didnt know, but she posted a picture on facebox and I was like wait a second, that looke like a cyberdemon. I lived a long ways away so theres my story about sucking titties and the cyber demon

I still have the book that came with it, but the original Quake CD etc is forever gone. Out of all the things i Have ever owned in my life including a FleshLIght and a Taylor Swift calendar I can say that the ID ANNIVERSARY was my favorite owned item

I haven't been following this DOOM because the Alpha was so fuckin terrible (I had it on the XBOX ONE back around Christm) but I was driving home from Arizona visiting MY EX GIRLFRIEND when the e3 bethesda rpoess conference was on, despite it was raining and there was trucks in the road I held iup imny IPHONE 6 device and with half an eye on the road and half on eye on Todd loving howard I watched the whole entire fallout and doom press conference but good golly is Doom got to be better than Fallout 4.

I still haven't played project brutality despite everyone saying it is the best version of Doom.

I want all of these Doom figures. I have never had anything on my desk but disappoointment and a bong but this looks like its time to make a change in e the right direction, stat. exc ept its all too expensive now that I Finish typing about to hit Submit knowing I cant have them. that anniversary one in particular woohee that does look good. I also want a quake sweater and/or a wife that wears quake sweaters with me at the holiday

:holymoley:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Meowbot posted:

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Meowbot posted:

Oh, Meowbot. Never change. Shine on, you beautiful person.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

this isnt important so im crossing it out but if you want to read it, remove the crossed out parts, but read the part after it because it is how i feel about virtual reality and doomm I was going to post about it but its s but im still sweating, I even opened a window lol what the gently caress Quake got me excited like you dont even know.
[strikethrough]I lost my password for somethingawful for over 5 monthsh and no way as i going to get it back because my ex girlfriend had access to that email and changed the password on me so I had to contact mIcrosoft! In retrospect I could have just spent $10 but I didnt want to lose my important forums account and then they would say "ur just a tr0ll go back to ur bridge gently caress boi2.0""[/strikethrough]

the worst thing is that in my whole life I thought I could have VR and I even got banned on somethingawful because I was told im trolling, but look it up, I talk about it a lot, i mmad, i have bad vision and cant see out of one of my eyes so that I wsill never have virtual reality like here comes Doom in 2016 and I cant see it in true virtual reality pisses me off

ill take a deepe breath. and gather my thoughts, share them with u later about Quake but I want that sweater :eyepop:

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Also watched a trailer for Doom '16 again and am starting to get a bit hype. I know I shouldn't but still.

Who knows maybe I've even get an overpriced Revenant statue for my desk. (Also I would like to see a version of The Revenant where Leonardo Di Caprio plays a Doom Revenant. That bear would be hosed.

Blackfyre fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 7, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Well in true Doom fashion, here's a trio of plushies:

I have this guy sitting on top of my desk right now :)

THE BAR posted:

I have the board game, but my game night group's filled with babies who won't play. :(

Its supposed to be really good, it kinda kicked off the resurgence of hack and slash board games like descent and whatnot.

That said, the other ones are supposed to be a bit better.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

I have this guy sitting on top of my desk right now :)
I've been keeping an eye on these for a while, gotta remember to get one when I'm in the US. Thankfully they're fairly easy to get for now.

http://i.imgur.com/LjOuBYe.webm

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The toaster thing was confirmed fake, btw.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been keeping an eye on these for a while, gotta remember to get one when I'm in the US. Thankfully they're fairly easy to get for now.

http://i.imgur.com/LjOuBYe.webm

My cousin's handle online is "toast" and we both love to play Doom to this day, I was kinda surprised when those pictures surfaced that it wasn't him.

He even loves to make weird gadgets like that.

AirRaid posted:

The toaster thing was confirmed fake, btw.

Ah, lame. But there's any number of crazy doom projects that are 100% real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLn-vnbrPXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s15eJ9WMfVg

Course Quake is even better since its full 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQaKv2eYOuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

My cousin's handle online is "toast" and we both love to play Doom to this day, I was kinda surprised when those pictures surfaced that it wasn't him.

He even loves to make weird gadgets like that.

Ah, lame. But there's any number of crazy doom projects that are 100% real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLn-vnbrPXg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s15eJ9WMfVg

Course Quake is even better since its full 3D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQaKv2eYOuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

The nspire CX one isn't that impressive - that calculator has a 320x240 16 bit color screen, 100 megabytes of user storage, 64 MB of RAM and a 132 mhz ARM CPU, much like an older smartphone would have. You don't even need to come up with any creative hacks to get around limitations, it's straight up more powerful all around with a lot more RAM and about the same storage as a target computer from Doom's launch.

Those calcs ain't shipping with a z80 like the 82/83/84/85 or a 68000 like the 89/92/Voyage 200.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

I've seen all of those videos before :ohdear:

Fun fact: SMMU, the source port with the Ascii mode, stands for Smack My Marine Up.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Someone posted this in the Bad Box Art Thread, and I feel like we missed out a chance with the recent vote:

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
drat, pinky got a face like a urinal

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I like the playstation cover

Although they replaced doomguy with Mad Max.

(Presumably the same guy from Doom 2 cover)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Multiplayer trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFUAH3V1U4

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh man, all footage previously of the demon rune showed people turning into revenants, so I figured that was all you could do, and I was kinda bummed.

I was really hoping we could turn into hell knights, and sure enough that video shows somebody turning into a hell knight.

Or even an Imp! Awesome!

loving yessss.

Multiplayer reminds me of the new Unreal Tournament. Doesn't look particularly amazing but doesn't look bad either, some cool arenas.

New Doom and new UT? What a time to be alive.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been calling this game Retard 4

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

You know, as someone who grew up with the original DOOM, quake, and Unreal games, I was cautiously optimistic for this game before. I expected it to be okay, but not amazing. That being said, with the recent trailers have me a lot more hyped than i would have expected to be. SNAPMAP is also a really cool thing that can, if the game is good, really extend it's life. Kinda bummed there wont be real MOD support, but snapmap is a very welcome feature and will allow less skilled people to still make meaningful content far after launch,.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Black Baby Goku posted:

I've been calling this game Retard 4

The irony being that you're the retard

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

it's not an arena shooter unless i'm bunny hopping around at 100000 miles per hour

edit:why is the announcer your robot dad

Pomp fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

strategery posted:

You know, as someone who grew up with the original DOOM, quake, and Unreal games, I was cautiously optimistic for this game before. I expected it to be okay, but not amazing. That being said, with the recent trailers have me a lot more hyped than i would have expected to be. SNAPMAP is also a really cool thing that can, if the game is good, really extend it's life. Kinda bummed there wont be real MOD support, but snapmap is a very welcome feature and will allow less skilled people to still make meaningful content far after launch,.

I think they've come out and said that they would not have a problem releasing an SDK, but given the way Id's engines work you would need a 5 figure supercomputer to even run it. Snap Map is an alternative that allows people that don't work at a company with a render farm to create content.