Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I'm glad DSmart is back in full clownshoes mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Oh Derek just stop, you're making baby jesus cry.

That's him, on the crucifix.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is this their real €2,500,000 coffee machine? What is it actually called I want to look @ it
The rumors were of a $20,000 espresso machine, and only two machines seem to fit the bill.

I prefer the steampunk stylings of the Belle Epoque. Plus it looks like 7 Zark 7, which is always good for whacky laughs...

btw- I think EightAce said the legendary coffee maker deal fell through due to some contractor issue. Plus, there was a lot of online noise raised about the rumored indulgence.

So, as amusing as it is to joke about, I'd imagine CIG LA is making do with something less exotic but by no means ordinary... (Just a guess.)

Daztek posted:

I'll save you, thread

Hilarious!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/49k2d7/star_citizen_alpha_where_visual_superiority_in/

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
This, but 'fidelity'.

Sunswipe posted:

Can anyone remind me what the motivation is for goons to destroy Star Citizen? I haven't been here long, so I think I missed the meeting where we all agreed to bring down this 100 million dollar company by laughing at it.

Imagine being of the adolescent mindset that anyone who doesn't like what you like is wrongbad, and having such a poor social radar as to not be able to determine that people's motivations may extend beyond the nebulous and childlike explanation of being a 'hater', and you're well on your way to enlightenment.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Can anyone remind me what the motivation is for goons to destroy Star Citizen? I haven't been here long, so I think I missed the meeting where we all agreed to bring down this 100 million dollar company by laughing at it.

You haven't been here long enough to start getting your payment checks. Please lurk more.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

praying for a new studio tour soon.
Not to point out the obvious to Sandi, but THAT THING IS GOING DOWN!

Oh well, what's another artist revamp in the grand scheme of things...

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sunswipe posted:

The Goon Hivemind is a chaotic evil creature that has scammed countless Star Citizens out of their hard earned EVE Online space gold. Using this gold it was able to bribe Lowtax the Deceiver into creating an illusory paywall in order to protect its central weakness from the truth seekers and true believers that is the rational and mature Star Citizen fanbase. By destroying Star Citizen before it is fully developed and then escaping the collector base CIG goons will be able to You must have a Platinum Upgrade to read this text.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

The thing that gets me about shitizens is how objectly wrong they are. Better graphics then any game out there? More content in the alpha than nearly every "triple AAA" game released? Unprecedented fidelity and realism? Most open development process ever?

How can anyone who has played a single videogame in the last 10 years really believe this?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

Imagine being of the adolescent mindset that anyone who doesn't like what you like is wrongbad, and having such a poor social radar as to not be able to determine that people's motivations may extend beyond the nebulous and childlike explanation of being a 'hater', and you're well on your way to enlightenment.
What I don't understand is what they think we'd get out of a deliberate campaign to bring down CIG that would possibly be worth the effort. As someone pointed out earlier, people not invested in Star Citizen are in a no lose situation: if the game fails we all get a good laugh, if it succeeds we all get to buy a good game. Someone else made the comparison to the console wars, which kinda works except there's no reason you have to pick one game and stick with it regardless of how good it ends up being.

Basically, I guess my problem is I'm looking for some form of logic from cultists.

trucutru posted:

You haven't been here long enough to start getting your payment checks. Please lurk more.

I don't understand Derek Smart shilling development. :(

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

I have always thought that "AAA" is like "lady" or "gentleman". It's a compliment if someone else refers to you as such, but calling yourself one has the opposite effect. They're titles, not generic adjectives to be slapped on willy-nilly.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nicholas posted:

The thing that gets me about shitizens is how objectly wrong they are. Better graphics then any game out there? More content in the alpha than nearly every "triple AAA" game released? Unprecedented fidelity and realism? Most open development process ever?

How can anyone who has played a single videogame in the last 10 years really believe this?

This has nothing to do with SC and all to do with your brain trying to justify the $900 you dropped on your space farm.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

runsamok posted:

I have always thought that "AAA" is like "lady" or "gentleman". It's a compliment if someone else refers to you as such, but calling yourself one has the opposite effect. They're titles, not generic adjectives to be slapped on willy-nilly.

They claim to be everything to hide the nothing

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

praying for a new studio tour soon.

Something's... burning? I think it smells vaguely like money. Now I hear some water rushing and it's really smoky in here. Did they try to solve the problem of burning money by flushing it down the toilet?

I mean, they don't need to live stereotypical developer lifestyles living off of ramen and oatmeal, but at the same time all of this custom artwork and 'cool toys' that contribute absolutely nothing to the final product and then posting it on Facebook is like a big ol' "gently caress you for giving us money, now we're going to fritter it away on the dumbest, most pointless poo poo imaginable".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

LuiCypher posted:

Something's... burning? I think it smells vaguely like money. Now I hear some water rushing and it's really smoky in here. Did they try to solve the problem of burning money by flushing it down the toilet?

I mean, they don't need to live stereotypical developer lifestyles living off of ramen and oatmeal, but at the same time all of this custom artwork and 'cool toys' that contribute absolutely nothing to the final product and then posting it on Facebook is like a big ol' "gently caress you for giving us money, now we're going to fritter it away on the dumbest, most pointless poo poo imaginable".

They are doing their best. Those are not Restoration Hardware chair & tables. Big savings!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nicholas posted:

I have to assume that these people just don't play video games. Maybe they played Wing Commander then didn't play anything because nothing interested them until SC came around. Maybe they just don't enjoy video games at all and only like SC because it exists entirely in their imagination.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

What I don't understand is what they think we'd get out of a deliberate campaign to bring down CIG that would possibly be worth the effort. As someone pointed out earlier, people not invested in Star Citizen are in a no lose situation: if the game fails we all get a good laugh, if it succeeds we all get to buy a good game. Someone else made the comparison to the console wars, which kinda works except there's no reason you have to pick one game and stick with it regardless of how good it ends up being.

Motive is always the thing. Don't get me wrong, we probably do have more than one sadistic psychopath in the thread that enjoys trolling for the schadenfreude; 'watching the world burn', but this was once a thread of joyous optimism for everything that Chris Roberts could produce. The problem is that we have engineers, programmers, and network engineers that are not impressed with Crobber's performance in simply _describing_ what he wants to do. Imagine for a moment that an architect was pitching you on a stadium, and when you asked about construction details you got 'bricks, I dunno'.

Right now, I'm into SC for $45 that I don't plan to refund simply because I have skin in the game either way, and neither outcome entirely bothers me. I don't think they stand a fart in a hurricane's chance of releasing anything substantial as SQ42, and they're over-extended. Basically anyone that wanted in to SQ42 got in at the ground floor, and the minute the thing hits release, it'll stagnate.

Edit:

runsamok posted:

triple I is a thing. To indicate that something is more indie than something else.

Like a handlebar moustache for games. or a tall bike.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Sunswipe posted:

Okay I'll tell you but don't tattle on us

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Do you have a link? Someone should tell him about the 14 day refund.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQwHifeN_o

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

Do you have a link? Someone should tell him about the 14 day refund.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6445141/#Comment_6445141

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

'You never know whether we will do DirectX 12 or Vulkan first,' says Cloud Imperium Chairman

seems like this is something you should know

someone should also ask crobbers if SC will support ho:lol:ens. i demand augmented reality grabby hands so i can have the most fidelitous drink pouring minigame

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

LuiCypher posted:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Originally that was the pitch. Ships would be highly customizable depending on their core design. For example the Anvil Hornet would be a tough, rugged, but focused ship while the Drake Cutlass would be somewhat cheaper in terms of construction but would make up for that with dramatic levels of flexibility. Instead it all ended up being bullshit with unique hulled variants that locked the player into certain playing styles and design decisions that were arbitrary and idiotic (like the Cutlass Red, a space ambulance, not having missile racks or the ability to even mount them because ambulances didn't need them). This resulted in just a little bit of backlash so as a result CIG has a new modularity system where core components (like the center of the Vanguard) can be swapped out for other systems. It's a pretty decent way of doing things since modules are far easier to make and some ships (like the Retaliator) can have two of them.

Unfortunately this also means that CIG has roughly four different "styles" of modularity that they need to reconcile in addition to everything else they've messed around with. If the company was competently run they would have focused on core development of a simple demonstration, locked down the feature set and mechanics, and then used those rules to expand to other ships. So for example have the Hornet and Constellation as locked down demonstrations of how single and multi-crew would work, finalized all of the internal systems, and then use those rules to expand to other craft.

But gently caress it I know nothing about game development.

man this is just disappointing as gently caress. It'd be cool to have an actually fidelitous (within reason) game.

Both completely unsurprised and kinda disgusted they have a space ambulance. How could that ever be fun or interesting? How can you make money as a space paramedic outside of a large fightmans org that might actually need one? Why would you have that when you could just put a medbay in a bigger ship that's less likely to blow up and ferry guys to that? They don't even have loving wounds or damage states other than [Hitpoints] and [ALIVE | DEAD]! I would be stunned to believe having yellow legs has any effect on gameplay. Would having this granular damage even be fun?? What could be fun about having my legs shot off and having so sit here HOTAS jerking off while my bro carts my rear end to medbay?

Didn't crobs say some type of poo poo like there's slaver/abduction/bountyhunter pods, and if you get caught in them he's not going to make you sit in it staring at the wall until they turn you in. Why would basically the same gimmick exist in a different form? Are they expecting me to get my balls blasted and I shoot my sidearm while somebody firman carries me running away? No way could they pull that off.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

difference is those dudes have released products and have something called profits which they can spend on whatever they want even stupid poo poo like that

cig hasn't released poo poo and all the money they have from taking advantage of retarted man children should be put toward the development of games, not opening multiple studios or half a dozen web shows that provide no actual content, or excessively expensive furniture

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

man this is just disappointing as gently caress. It'd be cool to have an actually fidelitous (within reason) game.

Both completely unsurprised and kinda disgusted they have a space ambulance. How could that ever be fun or interesting? How can you make money as a space paramedic outside of a large fightmans org that might actually need one? Why would you have that when you could just put a medbay in a bigger ship that's less likely to blow up and ferry guys to that? They don't even have loving wounds or damage states other than [Hitpoints] and [ALIVE | DEAD]! I would be stunned to believe having yellow legs has any effect on gameplay. Would having this granular damage even be fun?? What could be fun about having my legs shot off and having so sit here HOTAS jerking off while my bro carts my rear end to medbay?

Didn't crobs say some type of poo poo like there's slaver/abduction/bountyhunter pods, and if you get caught in them he's not going to make you sit in it staring at the wall until they turn you in. Why would basically the same gimmick exist in a different form? Are they expecting me to get my balls blasted and I shoot my sidearm while somebody firman carries me running away? No way could they pull that off.

I'll have you know you can do all this, and more, in PTU 2.2

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Thanks commando. I sent him all the relevant info. Goodbye account.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Also remember there's a space news van

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
the account that I used to contact Tommy N is still intact. I think you're safe unless they decide to ban that person or something and read through all their poo poo to make up a list of reasons to permaprobate them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Turd Burglar posted:

Also remember there's a space news van

No way. There's no loving way they even have a jpg of this. This can't be real, even in the fevered dream reality that is SC

What does it even do?!? What could possibly be different between this and some starter ship? What the gently caress are you even telling me?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

No way. There's no loving way they even have a jpg of this. This can't be real, even in the fevered dream reality that is SC

What does it even do?!? What could possibly be different between this and some starter ship? What the gently caress are you even telling me?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/reliant/Reliant-Mako-News-Van

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

LachlanJ posted:

Event Horizon is goofy as hell, but I've always liked it.

Event Horizon is a masterpiece!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Serious post: I love this thread and all the wonderful laughs contained herein. Some posters (like pgabz) are absolute legends who should be honored with SAClopedia entries.

Derek: I just enjoy bantering with you man. I honestly appreciate that you can take a good joshing and give it right back.

If we genuinely didn't like you we would call you a oval office and threaten to kill you.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Chris Roberts himself can't even answer those questions

Don't think about it too hard

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Decrepus posted:

The Goon Hivemind is a chaotic evil creature that has scammed countless Star Citizens out of their hard earned EVE Online space gold. Using this gold it was able to bribe Lowtax the Deceiver into creating an illusory paywall in order to protect its central weakness from the truth seekers and true believers that is the rational and mature Star Citizen fanbase. By destroying Star Citizen before it is fully developed and then escaping the collector base CIG goons will be able to You must have a Platinum Upgrade to read this text.

Hail Hitler and Satan

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I think its interesting that outside of this thread Star Citizen is a huge 'successful' project and a big stepping stone for any organization and even bigger for an individual.

http://www.bhvr.com/portfolio-item/star-citizen/

http://kythera.ai/case-studies/star-citizen

http://www.turbulent.ca/case-study/star-citizen

http://www.illfonic.com/#!star-citizen/a7atz

Do any of those companies even care that SC is doomed to fail after seeing the inside? Aren't 3/4 of them lying anyway since besides the website nothing else works in the game?

Like yea they did their job, not their loving problem CIG can't put it together.

Everyone involved at this point is getting their own. Nobody is working towards a cohesive goal. It's sick to have SC assets in your portfolio so you build and build, it just not going to be in any game.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I can't formulate a response.

This is a looking cool design that would be interesting if they had some form of EWAR. How is it even supposed to work, you take pics and get money from space associated press?
I don't understand how the cockpit is supposed to work with this rotated wings deal. If you sit at the space computer does it set up space twitch where people log into their mobiglass and see what the camera sees with a little greenscreen of your character in the corner?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

No. Because I don't owe the world $109M. I own my company 100%. I'm married to a psychologist/therapist (also an ex-actress btw) who is way hotter than that hag.

Your move.

Can confirm that d smizzle's wife is hotter than Sandi. Better in the sack, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I can't formulate a response.

This is a looking cool design that would be interesting if they had some form of EWAR. How is it even supposed to work, you take pics and get money from space associated press?
I don't understand how the cockpit is supposed to work with this rotated wings deal. If you sit at the space computer does it set up space twitch where people log into their mobiglass and see what the camera sees with a little greenscreen of your character in the corner?

Last I heard they were saying some nonsense about real life integration with real life Earth-twitch.

It should be pretty fun to watch them walk that one back.

• Locked thread