Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Good drat that guy makes some pretty ink, but he is nuttier than squirrel poo poo

Just wait until Benghazi Blue-Black hits the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Benghazi Burnt Orange

Benghazi Ash Grey

Clinton Computer Terminal Amber Green :219:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Berning Red sample. Pretty great drying time. The paper is 24lb copy paper. Also learned my Hadrian has a serious dead spot in the nib on right-curving upstrokes.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Remora posted:

Berning Red sample. Pretty great drying time. The paper is 24lb copy paper. Also learned my Hadrian has a serious dead spot in the nib on right-curving upstrokes.

Wow. That looks way better than the samples I saw.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I want a bottle of that stuff just as a piece of memorabilia

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah, that looks quite nice actually.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

That's why I got mine, yeah. It's a little lighter and unsaturated, like Waterman Audacious Red, and maybe just a little orangey. It's pretty far from my usual jam, but I had to score a bottle for my collection, and it made the perfect present for a hard-to-shop-for friend.

The drying time is really freakish, though. Even with that giant ink brush it went on and just ... dried up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh, I have a pile of red ink samples for selecting a bold red, but I am inclined to just pack it in here and get a vial of that.

. . . And then write a letter to Bernie Sanders with it.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Heh, I have a pile of red ink samples for selecting a bold red, but I am inclined to just pack it in here and get a vial of that.

. . . And then write a letter to Bernie Sanders with it.

Not sure I'd call it a bold red. Again, it's a little unsaturated and a little orangey - make sure you zoom in on that scan before you pack it in, it's high-res and the ink might look darker/bolder than it is zoomed out.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have an old Sheaffer No-Nonsense that was my first non-disposable fountain pen, it's always been kind of a garbage pen and leaked but being my first one and my dad gave it to me I kinda hate to just chuck it in the garbage even though the leak has escalated and I had to wipe a big pool of ink off my desk this morning. I thought instead of replacing the whole pen I'd just get a new nib unit since that seems to be the part causing problems (it leaks through the feed) and apparently it's cheaper to buy an entire calligraphy set with three spare nibs and another pen than it is to just buy a nib for the drat thing. :psyduck:

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Are you sure there's not a hairline crack somewhere? That's pretty much the opposite of my experience with my NoNonsenses.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've examined it pretty closely for cracks and have never found anything. It's always leaked even with a cartridge so that seemed to me more like an issue with the nib unit. Basically if it sits unused for any amount of time the cap fills up with ink but lately -- maybe because the weather has been fluctuating from warm to cold -- it's gotten worse. I'm going to have to clean it out and put it away for now since it's pretty much unusable at the moment.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I'd buy it, if only so I could write the lyrics to the State anthem of the Soviet Union over and over until the whole bottle is loving gone.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Anyone got a pen from Karas Kustoms? Their tumbled aluminum pens look really snazzy.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Obligatory Toast posted:

I'd buy it, if only so I could write the lyrics to the State anthem of the Soviet Union over and over until the whole bottle is loving gone.

you'd want to save a bit for the red flag surely

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Soricidus posted:

you'd want to save a bit for the red flag surely

And the threatening production orders for IL-2s.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Anyone got a pen from Karas Kustoms? Their tumbled aluminum pens look really snazzy.

I received a Fountain K as a gift, and it's really, really grown on me. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but I've come to like the aesthetic (Mine is black anodized all over). The pen is really well-built, and feels indestructible. The threads are a little sharper than average, and the section a little shorter, so if you tend to grip your pens further up the section, it might be uncomfortable for long-duration use. The nibs are bock, so while there's nothing special about them, there's also nothing to complain about.

If you like the look of the pen, and don't balk at the price, I think there's little reason not to get one.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I've been looking at the raw copper Ink, but I have to wonder if the 120g weight is too much. I do have large hands however (insert trump joke here) so it might not be a big deal.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's gonna be slippery as poo poo. The stainless steel Lamy 2000 is crap for the same reason.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

There's also the whole thing about a $90-$190 C/C pen that comes with an untuned steel nib.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
There have also been reports that there's something awry with their anodising and people are getting oxidisation with copper/alu pens.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I put some of the Emerald of Chivor in my B nibbed Eco, and I am pretty pleased with how much of the flake comes through. I was torn between the B and the 1.1 stub, but I am glad that I got the B because I use it pretty frequently and it isn't too broad for me to write on regular paper with.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, I got an 1.1 stub Eco to go with my Emerald of Chivor and it looks fantastic but it's very definitely 'well I feel like writing fancy right now' and not something you're just gonna use.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Of the four I think Emerald of Chivor is the best as far as getting lots of sparkle in your writing. And I totally use it for casual every-day stuff because it's pretty and otherwise I'd never use it for anything.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I went with the 1.1 stub and I love it for everyday writing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Solkanar512 posted:

I've been looking at the raw copper Ink, but I have to wonder if the 120g weight is too much. I do have large hands however (insert trump joke here) so it might not be a big deal.

120g is absurdly heavy for a pen.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
In my case I'm also left-handed so I need to go very carefully when the stub comes out, haha.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

neongrey posted:

Yeah, I got an 1.1 stub Eco to go with my Emerald of Chivor and it looks fantastic but it's very definitely 'well I feel like writing fancy right now' and not something you're just gonna use.

I paid a buck and change for a sample from Goulet, so I'm gonna be writing with this on everything.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kerbtree posted:

There have also been reports that there's something awry with their anodising and people are getting oxidisation with copper/alu pens.

I thought it was supposed to be raw metal. I was actually looking at andonizing chemicals - a co-worker of mine sculpts/casts metal art.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

I thought it was supposed to be raw metal. I was actually looking at andonizing chemicals - a co-worker of mine sculpts/casts metal art.

You can get both

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

You can't anodize copper.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

You can get both

The KK pens are raw metal; the patina is supposed to happen. They have an anodized black aluminum version though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
man just looking at some of the weights on those pens makes my hand hurt

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

wrong thread

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I've been using a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1 stub for some time as my daily pen, and it works really well. However, there's a little plastic cup insert inside the cap that's started to fall out and, since it catches all the ink that inevitably leaks from the tip, covers whatever it hits (usually my hand) in ink. Is this a part I should have gotten rid of, or is there a way to get that piece more firmly back in there?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

^^^
Isn't there some trick you can do with a pencil eraser to tighten that insert, or am I thinking of a different pen?

Nanami has Seven Seas Writers back in stock, and the one I ordered just showed up. It is pretty much the perfect A5 sized notebook, except that my preference is for white, not cream, paper since I think it makes colors pop more.

Still, Emerald of Chivor is ridiculous, and R&K Solferino and DeAtramentis Aubergine are also displaying impressive sheen. I desperately need to empty a pen so I can try out Oku-Yama, that should be spectacular. Bung Box Hatsuyume Aofuji has been the lone disappointment so far, too pale a blue for cream colored paper.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

E4C85D38 posted:

I've been using a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1 stub for some time as my daily pen, and it works really well. However, there's a little plastic cup insert inside the cap that's started to fall out and, since it catches all the ink that inevitably leaks from the tip, covers whatever it hits (usually my hand) in ink. Is this a part I should have gotten rid of, or is there a way to get that piece more firmly back in there?

That little insert is what seals against the nib collar to keep the nib from drying out when capped so you really shouldn't get rid of it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sagebrush posted:

You can't anodize copper.

poo poo, you're right. I meant patinize, long day at work.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Got one of those Pilot 78G copies made by Wing Sung I posted about a little while ago - colour me impressed. Nibs are very decent, no major flaws in the body and the pen happily accepts Pilot nibs.

Of course, there has to be at least one baffling design flaw, so the pen lacks a cartridge piercer for Pilot cartridges so you can only use the bundled converter or already opened cartridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
What a weird omission, you'd think it would be there since they bought the tooling and removing the piercer but not changing it to accept international standard carts is a strange decision.