Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

I'm not sure why you're having trouble with rubber. Just craft a bunch of treetaps (all at once for sanity's sake) and use those to collect resin from rubber tree trunks. Don't chop down the trees once you have treetaps- the resin spots replenish over time.

I'm just sticking rubber wood in the extractor. Without the extruder you need 24 rubber pulp for every 2 electronic circuits and typically every LV machine needs at least two of them. Cutting that in half is significant enough. I'd already had a bunch of steel stocked up (nearly a stack) from before I needed to make the LV machines so that was not my bottleneck. I already had plenty to make the wiremill, extruder, and bending machine at the same time. Also, the recipe I'm working towards is the cart assembler which needs 4 electronic circuits plus 6 rubber plates for each of the two LV conveyor modules. I found that I was going through rubber very quickly without the extruder so I made it in my first batch of machines.

EDIT: The GT assembler you need to make the cart assembler also needs a ton of rubber.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, I spent several hours last night figuring out and adding Thaumcraft recipes for three items... Only to discover that I can't add research pages because it breaks things, since ModTweaker isn't updated for the most recent Thaumcraft yet. I spent two hours trying to find what I did wrong.

At least the recipes work.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

the resin spots replenish over time.
I never loving knew this. This is pretty worth knowing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

McFrugal posted:

Twilight Forest is a great place to find ores in NH. Not because of the mounds, but because of ravines. I visited three ravines, and this is what I found:
All four elemental infused stone types (no ordo/perditio yet though).
A graphite/diamond vein.
Sapphire/almandine.

Also the average height in Twilight Forest is lower than normal Minecraft so you can easily run into those 10-30 veins through your ravine diving advice.

Course there's also the goofy sort of ore generation where a stone spire on the surface is just big enough for a vein that will give out maybe 7-10 ore. :v:

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It sure does demand a lot of power, and it's pretty unrealistic to expect a player to encase such a volume in pylons. The big, demo reactor I set up in the tutorial dimension could power something like that very quickly, and even more so if I do something more realistic like 64x16x32, but I recall the power needs got crazy if you, say, just layed out the three axes in three lines and called it a job well done. I don't know what that number is though and whether it's realistic. I just have to get off my butt, lay it out, and guess from there. I guess if it's normally unrealistic, I can give the player a few full dense energy cells as a reward to a pre-requisite quest. I have to give the player the spatial drive too, for example.

But yeah, half the problem is figuring out what blocks are valid to beam up.

If you're willing to have the player "teleport" to the ship (Spatial AE dimension), then you can build up the dimension with any mod blocks. The block whitelist is only for storing/returning the contents of a Spatial AE Storage Cell and does not apply to what you put into the Spatial AE space yourself.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

lolmer posted:

If you're willing to have the player "teleport" to the ship (Spatial AE dimension), then you can build up the dimension with any mod blocks. The block whitelist is only for storing/returning the contents of a Spatial AE Storage Cell and does not apply to what you put into the Spatial AE space yourself.

Nah, I was going to make a quest to get the player to store themselves for trying stuff like that as a precursor. The advanced challenge is in having all the infrastructure to build and power large spatial storage.

Edit: Part of that is to have some other end-game goal than just getting to the moon, which ultimately leaves people kind of unsatisfied.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
what's the go-to method for finding ore deposits? i'm swimming in iron and coal but I can't find tin or copper to get started on steam stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edminster posted:

what's the go-to method for finding ore deposits? i'm swimming in iron and coal but I can't find tin or copper to get started on steam stuff.
For me it's literally cheating: block xray + noclip.

I just zip into every deposit and break a few blocks to see what it is, then mark it on Journeymap and zip to the next one so I can dig back to it legit later.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vib Rib posted:

For me it's literally cheating: block xray + noclip.

I just zip into every deposit and break a few blocks to see what it is, then mark it on Journeymap and zip to the next one so I can dig back to it legit later.

Which mod is that? All the google results I'm getting are for either shady download sites or say the mod is for 1.7.2

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edminster posted:

Which mod is that? All the google results I'm getting are for either shady download sites or say the mod is for 1.7.2
I'm using Forge XRay, which lets you define custom blocks to scan (@1191 works for me, I don't know what it would be for you). Just bear in mind that gregtech ores won't be able to be defined by metadata thanks to how they work, so trying to filter only for a specific type of deposit it, as far as I know, a fool's errand.
I don't even remember where I finally found a 1.7.10 version so I just filedroppered Xray version 2.02 here: http://www.filedropper.com/xray202

You can also use DaFlight for noclipping+flight if that's easier than just creative-breaking straight down to a sample.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm thinking about modpack difficulty. I've got the Minecraft itch again, but all the packs I've tried.... well, they suck. The only type of modpack that I'd ever want to play single-player is HQM (though even that bores me fast), and nearly all of them operate under the "scarcity" idea of gameplay design, which when you look closer actually just means "tedious".

I like the idea of slowed down progression a lot, particularly in a server environment. If you just slap together a bunch of your standard tech/magic mods and don't do much alteration, any semi-dedicated player will be at the top of the tech tree and bored in 2-3 days (if they have some free time, of course). On previous Progress iterations, I've done some minor nerfs to certain things and made some recipes more costly, but it was all pretty conservative. I want to explore the idea of slowing down progression without falling into the very overdone trap of just making things tedious. Most packs that alter the mods for unique progression have one or many of the following problems:

• Highly repetitive tasks that you're forced to do over, and over, and over. See: AS2 (forever tree punch, forever hammer stone), regrowth (forever tree punch, wander aimlessly hoping for floral fertilizer)

• Waiting. In Regrowth (I'll be mentioning Regrowth a lot since I just played it) you have to babysit crops for ages. And while you're doing that there's not much you can do to be productive or have fun. You don't have the resources to invest in other parts of your progression, you don't have materials to make a pretty base, etc. So you just wait, while you tediously replant crops that have leveled up.

• Vacuous intermediate crafting steps, most often seen withGregtech and it's demon spawn, often requiring tons of tools that break or fiddly machines.

• Excessive ore scarcity. I personally kind of enjoy mining in MC, it's zen in a certain way - but some modpacks just make it incredibly hard and slow to find all the resources you need, and the only solution is pretty much brute forcing it and digging forever.

Somewhere in a mix of all these (and other things, too, probably) is slowed progression that doesn't become overly tedious, and actually fulfilling the steps in that progression becomes more rewarding because you put more effort into it. I'm trying to figure out exactly where that balance would be. My first thought that players should not be stuck at the very bottom of the tech ladder for long periods of time, only to spring forward through all the rest once they finally get the first one - the bottom rung sucks. You're cutting trees forever, you probably have little or no means of meaningful automation, so dealing with in/outs of machines by hand or just with hoppers. But also, I don't want everyone to get a ton of momentum at the first rung of the tech tree and accelerate through all the rest, which tends to happen. I'm trying to figure out what, exactly, is the best way to put a bit of a barrier here without being overly tedious or frustrating to the player.

On top of that I really like to incorporate incentives for people to work together in a server environment, but not to the extent that it's unreasonable to go through the steps alone. Distributing the tasks of resource gathering, farming, construction of machines and automation etc. makes for a much more enjoyable experience and also diffuses a lot of what would be tedium in a solo experience. I'm not opposed to hijacking certain typical trains of progression into cross-mod requirements even including things like coke ovens and blast furnaces being needed for certain progressions, but I don't want to go too far. The waiting game, as mentioned, is not a very fun one.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post, I'm just kind of rambling at this point. But I know a lot of people in this thread play packs like BFSR (the opposite of tedious and slow) to GT:NH, which is a level of tedium and halting progression unlike anything seen before, and then everything in between. So I'm looking for peoples opinions on this train of thought. Either way it's something I'm going to be toying with in the coming days/weeks as my free time allows.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i've been watching the direwolf20 ftb insanity skyblock videos and it looks like there's some new QOL stuff in that pack, which is a standard ex nihilo skyblock

namely, the compressed hammer, which can hammer compressed cobble into gravel, and so on

i thought that was a pretty cool inclusion

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Glory of Arioch posted:

i've been watching the direwolf20 ftb insanity skyblock videos and it looks like there's some new QOL stuff in that pack, which is a standard ex nihilo skyblock

namely, the compressed hammer, which can hammer compressed cobble into gravel, and so on

i thought that was a pretty cool inclusion

I've been watching that series too and I don't know if I've been permanently brain damaged by playing GT: NH but I like the look of the cross-mod recipes. It's kind of like how GT: NH uses GregTech as a common thread through all of the recipes and tiers it but FTB uses cross-mod dependencies instead.

On second thought, maybe I should go bang my head on the wall repeatedly.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 11, 2016

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

I've been watching that series too and I don't know if I've been permanently brain damaged by playing GT: NH but I like the look of the cross-mod recipes. It's kind of like how GT: NH uses GregTech as a common thread through all of the recipes and tiers it but FTB uses cross-mod dependencies instead.

On second thought, maybe I should go bang my head on the wall repeatedly.

Cross-mod dependencies are really cool, if you ask me. NH does it in a terrible way. Regrowth did it in a non-terrible way.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

You can delete the world map for the Nether specifically, change that setting, then re-enter the Nether. It should generate a new map entirely.

I assume this will destroy my gravestone too?

I guess if im going to cheat some stuff back i might also give myself a greatwood sapling or something, as the path to that is pretty bullshit.

Oh, and where will i find the map to delete?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm using Forge XRay, which lets you define custom blocks to scan (@1191 works for me, I don't know what it would be for you). Just bear in mind that gregtech ores won't be able to be defined by metadata thanks to how they work, so trying to filter only for a specific type of deposit it, as far as I know, a fool's errand.
I don't even remember where I finally found a 1.7.10 version so I just filedroppered Xray version 2.02 here: http://www.filedropper.com/xray202

You can also use DaFlight for noclipping+flight if that's easier than just creative-breaking straight down to a sample.

:stare:

well apparently the copper and tin was inside me all along

copper was right smack underneath my base and tin was like twenty meters from the coal seam i've been mining for the past couple days. jesus christ but ore is plentiful in New Horizons; I can either have Xray or move it's so dense and obscuring.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

You could gate mods behind other mods, without necessarily forcing any of the other time sinks. Like MFR machine frames are made in the botania runic altar which is made in the QED which is made in the BC assembly table which is made with the Ticon tool forge, in a very half assed example. Would force people to cover all or most of the mods instead of bee lining for their comfort zones (TE for me). You could also branch (machine frames are made in the runic altar OR thaumcraft infusion) or overlap tiers (daylillies are made in TE machines, resonant machines need manasteel). Hitting major milestones in one mod leading to the crucial start of another mod is probably the easiest option to implement.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

just as long as it isn't a bog standard ex nihilo start then i think you're golden, i think everyone is sick of hucking saplings in barrels and making 20394823 crooks

i like botania's garden of glass skyblock start with the caveat of cheating in an infinite cobblestone drawer at the very beginning because gently caress grinding pebbles

for those who haven't done garden of glass, the progression is as so:

* get cobble, loot all living roots from the platform, make one sapling and use the rest for floral fertilizer
* grow trees, expend floral fertilizer
* build mob spawner, get bone meal, make more floral fertilizer if you didn't get 2 white flowers from your initial stock
* bone meal grass to make tall grass, get pumpkin seeds from tall grass
* grow pumpkins and wheat, turn hay bale into sugar cane, grow lots of pumpkins
* make dayblooms, then endoflames (requires mana powder which needs sugar, or if you're lucky you get red/glowstone dust from a witch,) use to power an orechid
* make fel pumpkins and use them with iron bars to spawn blazes
* use blaze powder from blazes to make blaze lamps, purify into obsidian
* go to nether, loot mushrooms, glowstone, nether wart, quartz, netherrack, and acquire at minimum one magma cream
* make alchemy catalyst and clean magma cream with water bucket to get slime ball
* alfheim portal
* guardian of gaia
* make end portal blocks with gaia spirits

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

just as long as it isn't a bog standard ex nihilo start then i think you're golden, i think everyone is sick of hucking saplings in barrels and making 20394823 crooks

i like botania's garden of glass skyblock start with the caveat of cheating in an infinite cobblestone drawer at the very beginning because gently caress grinding pebbles

for those who haven't done garden of glass, the progression is as so:

* get cobble, loot all living roots from the platform, make one sapling and use the rest for floral fertilizer
* grow trees, expend floral fertilizer
* build mob spawner, get bone meal, make more floral fertilizer if you didn't get 2 white flowers from your initial stock
* bone meal grass to make tall grass, get pumpkin seeds from tall grass
* grow pumpkins and wheat, turn hay bale into sugar cane, grow lots of pumpkins
* make dayblooms, then endoflames (requires mana powder which needs sugar, or if you're lucky you get red/glowstone dust from a witch,) use to power an orechid
* make fel pumpkins and use them with iron bars to spawn blazes
* use blaze powder from blazes to make blaze lamps, purify into obsidian
* go to nether, loot mushrooms, glowstone, nether wart, quartz, netherrack, and acquire at minimum one magma cream
* make alchemy catalyst and clean magma cream with water bucket to get slime ball
* alfheim portal
* guardian of gaia
* make end portal blocks with gaia spirits

You can use floral powder to make mana powder, for the record.

Speaking of Garden of Glass, my modpack, Sky Magic, just updated, if anyone cares. Now there's recipes for the Crimson Rites book and for the spawn eggs for two of the Thaumcraft bosses so you can get primordial pearls.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It sure does demand a lot of power, and it's pretty unrealistic to expect a player to encase such a volume in pylons. The big, demo reactor I set up in the tutorial dimension could power something like that very quickly, and even more so if I do something more realistic like 64x16x32, but I recall the power needs got crazy if you, say, just layed out the three axes in three lines and called it a job well done. I don't know what that number is though and whether it's realistic. I just have to get off my butt, lay it out, and guess from there. I guess if it's normally unrealistic, I can give the player a few full dense energy cells as a reward to a pre-requisite quest. I have to give the player the spatial drive too, for example.

But yeah, half the problem is figuring out what blocks are valid to beam up.

I recalled wrong, it was 360mil RF, which meant a hundred and something dense energy cells were needed (they hold 3.2m RF each) at 100% efficiency - but that was 64x32x64, so ymmv. But yeah you really need to go crazy with pylons if you're gonna play with a spatial cell, or need hundreds of tera-RF stored.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I liked the Blightfall gating of magical mods. Botania had basic recipes for petals changed and their change obscured in NEI so you had to progress to learn the way of using the mod, but it's a player knowledge thing and not an ingame mechanics thing

little caches of useful but limited mod equipment scattered around to reward exploration but don't completely bust open the whole tech tree

alternate methods of interacting with standard progression that don't make it harder, but make other mods more handy are cool. The Blightfall concept that terrestrial metals are rare but the esoteric metals of metallurgy are abundant and can stand in for some recipes was a cool way of making me give a single drat about metallurgy. It didn't go terribly far with the concept, but allowing less-used materials as replacements for more annoying recipes would be neat.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
HOO BOY. Twilight Forest progression in NH past the Naga is... not easy. All the animated books in the Lich's Tower are infernal. All of them. They have quite a lot of hp, so you'll need a very good weapon. On the bright side, they drop a lot of paper while you're hitting them!

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Has anyone been able to find zinc in GT: NH?

EDIT: Alternatively, it looks like using a chemical bath and tin ore might be achievable.

EDIT 2: drat, it requires sodium persulfate. Nevermind.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 11, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

I recalled wrong, it was 360mil RF, which meant a hundred and something dense energy cells were needed (they hold 3.2m RF each) at 100% efficiency - but that was 64x32x64, so ymmv. But yeah you really need to go crazy with pylons if you're gonna play with a spatial cell, or need hundreds of tera-RF stored.

I had thought one of the AE2 addons created cells with much greater capacities, but I am not finding them. I remember running into this in Blightfall. My scheme for making a beamable taint cleanup rig was thwarted since even a 16^3 setup required a stupid amount of cells.

Taffer posted:

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post, I'm just kind of rambling at this point. But I know a lot of people in this thread play packs like BFSR (the opposite of tedious and slow) to GT:NH, which is a level of tedium and halting progression unlike anything seen before, and then everything in between. So I'm looking for peoples opinions on this train of thought. Either way it's something I'm going to be toying with in the coming days/weeks as my free time allows.
The kind of mechanics you mentioned to slow the pace down are budget ways of drawing out gameplay. It sounds like you're just wanting more gameplay, which is going to be specifically hard to do. Last time I had a similar itch, I screwed around with TerraFirmaCraft for some time. The nature of it is so absolutely different and that took care of it for me. Otherwise, I just like to overemphasize a subset of mods and find out what stupid poo poo I can do with them.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a server instance up where I try to do most of my tutorial world edits:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765024

I had to nuke all the CoFH stuff out of it due to a strange block ID bug that I am pretty sure they weren't going to fix, so it was quicker for me to uninstall the CoFH stuff, have the game blow away all the blocks, and then reinstall it all afterwards. It appears not to have hurt the quest book, but now I have a bunch of spots with reactors and farms that no longer have any machines or ducts connecting up to them. I was going to replace them all with EnderIO stuff anyways.

Quest editing is probably one thing I'll do my self. Technically, I can dump the quest files to JSON again, but last time I imported them, and bunch of stuff imploded; quest links got all screwed up, and some quests stopped detecting their criteria. I had to go through and manually re-assert a ton of stuff.

I do want help particularly with three things: I wanted to set up a Galacticraft demo setup in the tutorial world in the hanger by the airstrip. For another thing, I wanted to give the player a prepared dimension and have a quest detect that they were able to teleport into it. I'm not sure if the mod interplay would support it. Finally, I wanted to make an advanced quest for my "Philadelphia Experiment" chapter in the quest book. Specifically, I wanted to give the player a spatial storage drive that has a goofy rendition of a US warship stored in it. The player has to generate enough power and build enough spatial pylons to be able to warp in the ship. Then they can engage in combat against crazy Herobrines with assault rifles or something on the ship (thanks, CustomNPCs!) to get some trophy or whatever inside it to complete the chapter. Because why not. I'm not sure if I can duplicate a spatial drive yet, nor do I know the kind of power needs I'd need for this kind of thing yet, let alone if all the mods I have support that interplay.

Finally, the tick rate in the tutorial world gets pretty crappy with all the gear running, so I am trying to figure out how to optimize. It might mean moving buildings around into different zones that are normally outside of chunk loading distance of each other. One big problem is that the MFR steam boilers I have feeding a Big Reactor turbine doesn't seem to build up heat well on the server, although it works fine in single-player.

I can build Babys First Launch Pad later when i get home

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

I can build Babys First Launch Pad later when i get home

Nah not the launch pad, I mean the whole moon base setup with a tree for oxygen and the enclosure. I only ever did that once before.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Nah not the launch pad, I mean the whole moon base setup with a tree for oxygen and the enclosure. I only ever did that once before.

not a problem but i will not be using a tree, but the more efficient oxy production.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

McFrugal posted:

HOO BOY. Twilight Forest progression in NH past the Naga is... not easy. All the animated books in the Lich's Tower are infernal. All of them. They have quite a lot of hp, so you'll need a very good weapon. On the bright side, they drop a lot of paper while you're hitting them!

i cheesed quite a lot of encounters in twilight forest mainly because minecraft combat sucks and at the end of it all i still had quite a lot of fun, because sometimes finding ways around encounters was even more fun than actually taking them head on.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

not a problem but i will not be using a tree, but the more efficient oxy production.

What is this witchcraft?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
...so apparently if you right-click on stone with a hammer, you get prospecting readings. THAT is how you're supposed to find ore. Doesn't work on dirt though.

I wonder how large the prospecting radius is?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What is this witchcraft?

You will see

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

...so apparently if you right-click on stone with a hammer, you get prospecting readings. THAT is how you're supposed to find ore. Doesn't work on dirt though.

It's super small and not effective. XRay for life.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

McFrugal posted:

It's 5x5x5 blocks :smith:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taffer posted:

I like the idea of slowed down progression a lot, particularly in a server environment.
The best way is to just have a reason for the player to use different mods.

To make x to get more y I need to setup z (and maybe a,b,c).

The big problem I have in most kitchen sink packs is you race to post-scarcity and then you're done. There is no reason to setup bees, magic mods, or various other things. They don't actually do anything relative to where you're at. And you don't need more materials because you have infinite and nothing with a point to build. So maintaining a point to what you are doing, keeping progression steady without it being pointlessly grindy, and "forcing" the player into setting up things they usually wouldn't for certain resources seems like the way to go for me.

TPPI1 did this kind of okay for a while. TPPI2 doesn't really. It could still be done way better.

Instead of making it super grindy the "grind" is just setting lots of stuff up in an intricate way. Gregtech and some other packs take a different approach where it's often tedious to get materials. I don't like tedious crafting or tedious tier material gathering, although I don't mind mining or chopping trees, but at the same time you need a reason to go to the twilight forest and a reason to do x,y,z.

My idea would be to change crafting recipes for various things and outputs of various things so they all work together and give you ways to "go infinite" on certain things. And you just keep going until you can build Some Great Thing. The grind would be in the enjoyable part, to me at least, which is planning out and setting up stuff. Crafting sucks so drat bad.

edit: I guess an example is how TE gates things by certain ore types (enderium/pyrotheum/cryo), but it would be applied on a broader scale and less tied to the vanilla progression. Factorization allows you to churn out some kind of unique resource, call it mirrored factorizationium for mirror setups boilered factorizainum for that kind of poo poo which is an awful name but gets the point across in this example, required to craft or activate a block from another mod. That's the idea I have at least. So you have a reason to min-max all the fairly cool mods no one ever uses, and you have a reason to have a sprawling base that continues to grow with new rooms/setups to produce new materials. It also allows you to tier things in a non-ridiculous way.

It'd probably also be interesting if it just didn't include TiC or AE2. They are both dreadfully boring mods at this point. Channels mixed it up at first but are so unbelievably simple once you get used to them. TiC is just overpowered bullshit that is in every pack under the sun and is a one way ticket to the endgame. I love both of these mods as much as the next guy, but in packs that don't have them but offer viable alternatives it can be very fun because you have to approach progression and automation differently. The last time I played a pack without either was one of the goon servers in 1.5.x, it also had no auto mining and the mod with the ogres. It was loads of fun until I finally figured out how to break it with mob spawners. An ogre-proof spawner setup was actually somewhat challenging.

Having power be a consideration instead of "infinity because TE has upgrades so any mod with a tree farm breaks it completely to infinite rf in your first 3 hours of play and big reactors exists and some of the generators from that one mod are overpowered and mekanism has zany multipliers on hydrogen sometimes which can easily provide hundreds of thousands of extra rf/tick" could be cool too, but being power limited sort of blows. It should more of an infrastructure thing where you want to add a bit more to your power setup rather than a "I have to figure out how to make sure these machines aren't on at once" tedium thing. Like maybe you start with the caveman burn coal tech, then you setup a tree farm, but the rf output from that is limited enough that you want to then gain access to some other power tech and add that on. Something like that would be cool. I mean any way to limit it would be cool, even if it's something stupid like the steam generator's output is capped at x rf/t no matter how much it generates, I don't really know I haven't given this much thought but there are certainly many approaches to a tiered or expanding power system.

I'd also avoid subcrafting recipes whenever possible or try to set a hard limit on them OR try to keep them generic enough that the player could setup mini crafting stations to keep a certain stock of them. Like gears are okay if tons of recipes require gears. Machine frames are okay if tons of recipes require machine frames. Sort of like Factorio, it has lots of sub recipes but they don't matter so much because you're trying to automate the production of something not craft a single thing. They are okay in that context, but lots of the tedious subcrafting recipes in current mods are like one-offs or things you need only a few of.

The super rf armor poo poo and jetpacks are the biggest offenders here by far. It's also really the worst about current TE (besides upgrades which are a huge pain in the rear end on larger setups, although they bring cool functionality especially on a smaller scale) that you need to craft some gears and machine frames and then some other subcrap. You end up crafting like 8 times to make one thing long before you have autocrafting setup. It's dumb as gently caress because crafting is both not fun and really awful when done like that. Maybe it'd be less annoying if NEI auto crafted the subitems or something or told you exactly what you were missing for all that poo poo. That wouldn't work very well with the TE multi-tiered frame recipes or the obnoxious multiple gear recipes most packs have, but at least it would remove the tedium from crafting.

I realize having to setup stuff from a mod to get a material is a type of subcrafting, but if I can click the question on NEI and it shoves all the stuff in the box to make the next thing then it's A-OKAY by me. It's when you have to gather stuff for sub crafts and then keep going deeper in the stupid crafting ui that it annoys me. Like, 4 crafts deep you're making sticks and some ingots, and then for the next craft you need to craft some other dumb crap from basic materials, and them for the next craft up you need to craft blablablabla, then finally you have your actual item which is made from 4 different one of those. gently caress mods that do that so loving hard. It's not fun, it's not good, it's not challenging. It's just clicking in nei forever and wasting your time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 11, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody noticed strange behavior with Ender IO item conduit round-robin rules? It looks like round-robin skips priorities on conduits and will evenly distribute no matter what. I have to put a chest in between the extraction point and other things if I want some finer control. I mostly like to have a very low-priority endpoint for excess material so that the system doesn't clog.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is a lot of really helpful info, thanks. I'm not totally sure I'm going to be able to pull of what I want to, mostly cause I don't have a ton of time, but I'm going to be exploring and testing ideas all along these lines.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
After some experimentation I figured out that the config for gregtech steam turbines doesn't actually do anything. This means the basic steam turbine in NH is not 120% efficiency, it's 66%. 3mb steam per EU. Also there's some lovely coding that is causing rounding errors or something so it's actually more than 3mb per EU on average.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Taffer posted:

This is a lot of really helpful info, thanks. I'm not totally sure I'm going to be able to pull of what I want to, mostly cause I don't have a ton of time, but I'm going to be exploring and testing ideas all along these lines.

To build on this, Regrowth is a mod that tries to break this but it still basically gates everything behind two things; farming and botania. You farm up your basic materials and make a better pick that lets you create the seed for your next tier and so on. Yes there's a bit of setup in the beginning because there's a process to make seared bricks, but once you have your Tinker's smelter you are basically done with ore and material processing and you have now reached the endgame in terms of material scarcity. The only thing left from that point on is automation and energy storage and while stuff like Witchery lets you gently caress about and change biomes to give the player something else to do, the progression just starts over with each set of quests.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Note for the remaining GT: NH players: Zinc does spawn in the overworld but finding places high enough can be difficult. It is much easier to find in the nether where levels 80+ are usually solid netherrack. You can also use tetrahedrite with an ore washing plant and centrifuge. Also, for the cobalt brass dust recipe make sure that you have cobalt dust not cobaltite dust. You can get this by macerating cobaltite ore and sticking the crushed ore into an ore washing plant. You can get more by hammering the purified crushed ore into dust and sticking it in the centrifuge.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

CoreDuo posted:

Note for the remaining GT: NH players: Zinc does spawn in the overworld but finding places high enough can be difficult. It is much easier to find in the nether where levels 80+ are usually solid netherrack. You can also use tetrahedrite with an ore washing plant and centrifuge. Also, for the cobalt brass dust recipe make sure that you have cobalt dust not cobaltite dust. You can get this by macerating cobaltite ore and sticking the crushed ore into an ore washing plant. You can get more by hammering the purified crushed ore into dust and sticking it in the centrifuge.

Well, you don't really need a centrifuge for that. You can smelt purified/impure cobaltite dust into ingot form then macerate the ingot.