Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kaubocks posted:

the pre-sequel musical intro is, in my opinion, by FAR the weakest of all of them. that music is just not the right choice at all, but the game was made by 2K Australia and The Vines are Australian so :jerkbag:

that's my theory anyway and I'm sticking with it

even borderlands 1, which is a pretty uneventful intro by today's standards, had a pretty baller music choice that set the tone (cage the elephant - ain't no rest for the wicked (or whatever that song is actually called)). borderlands 2 has the best of the FPS trio (the heavy - short change hero) but every single TFTBL intro knocks it out of the goddamn park and into the stratosphere

The Borderlands trailers have been all fancy and musical too. Not all of them knocked it out of the park, but I think this one for Borderlands 2 is pretty decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdeN-WFeWHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
As much as poo poo like NewU stations are kinda plot-holey and maybe not canon, they would go a long way towards explaining how gleefully and hilariously suicidal Borderlands bandits are. I mean, gently caress it, if I could get instantly and painlessly rebuilt for like 35 dollars, I'd probably slap on a mask, grab an axe, and hop on an exploding barrel to be slingshotted at a launching rocket too. Why the gently caress not? :v:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The bandit situation on Pandora reminds me a lot of Bulletstorm (which surprisingly came out a whole year before Borderlands did). Bulletstorm at least acknowledges that their bandits are violent because they're completely and totally hosed; Stygia was a resort planet with force fields keeping out the radiation and carnivorous native critters but the whole place was built/operated by forced slave labor. The prisoners had to disable the shields to revolt, resulting in monster attacks and deadly radiation. They're pretty much the only people left and they're absolutely screwed with barely any chance to create a generation to succeed them, so it turned into Lisa-style violent nihilistic banditry. Oh and then the protagonists show up.

I think a lot of what Gearbox does with Borderlands and its world is the same way TF2 kind of did its meta-narrative; start with an excuse to shoot people, build on that later. That was absolutely Borderlands 1. Who knows what future games will have?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
There's a Borderlands film that's been announced. I like the aesthetic of the series but still...

http://www.slashfilm.com/borderlands-movie/

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

sleepy.eyes posted:

There's a Borderlands film that's been announced. I like the aesthetic of the series but still...

I'm sorry, but there is almost no chance this isn't a complete bomb.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

sleepy.eyes posted:

"It’s based on the RPG/first-person shooter combo game that follows a group of stranded colonists on an alien planet that has been left for dead, and is slowly moving closer to the sun, sparking the rise of horrifying creatures to wreak havoc on those left behind."

?????????????

Is this the plot to the borderlands games?????

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Panzer Skank posted:

"It’s based on the RPG/first-person shooter combo game that follows a group of stranded colonists on an alien planet that has been left for dead, and is slowly moving closer to the sun, sparking the rise of horrifying creatures to wreak havoc on those left behind."

?????????????

I didn't know that Vin Diesel was gonna be in this movie. :nallears:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Kaubocks posted:

the pre-sequel musical intro is, in my opinion, by FAR the weakest of all of them. that music is just not the right choice at all, but the game was made by 2K Australia and The Vines are Australian so :jerkbag:

that's my theory anyway and I'm sticking with it

even borderlands 1, which is a pretty uneventful intro by today's standards, had a pretty baller music choice that set the tone (cage the elephant - ain't no rest for the wicked (or whatever that song is actually called)). borderlands 2 has the best of the FPS trio (the heavy - short change hero) but every single TFTBL intro knocks it out of the goddamn park and into the stratosphere

In the case of episode 1, I'd say they knock it out of the stratosphere and into the park :v:

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Panzer Skank posted:

?????????????

I guess it is in the same way you have that friend who's not good at explaining the plot of films and makes it out to be a different film.

I mean from what I've played and read (Yeah this LP got me into the series) Pandora is kinda been abandoned by most sane people and it has long 'summers' where it's orbit is closer to the sun and most Pandora creatures come out of hibernation at that time so it's not wrong.... But it does make it sound like the planet is actually going to go into the sun and burn up while monsters kill everybody left behind like some horror film.

To be honest they could take the TftB approach to the story and have a bunch of new characters do their own thing with series favourites poping up here and there but you just know that's not what's going to happen at all.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Klaus88 posted:

I didn't know that Vin Diesel was gonna be in this movie. :nallears:

My first thought exactly. At absolute best, I see this as being a weird mash up of Deadpool, Pitch Black and a little Fury Road. Absolute best case, that, and no way will it be anything close to it. I'm that guy who hates movies and expects the worst from them.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Panzer Skank posted:

?????????????

I've never heard anything about Pandora drifting towards the sun and there's never been any hints at all that skags and rakks and all the other nasties of Pandora haven't just always been there. What the hell.

If it's live action, it'll be trash since half the charm of the games are the art style. If it's not live action, it'll still be trash since the other half of the charm is finding sweet loot with your friends and blowing things up with it.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Panzer Skank posted:

?????????????

Well, it's Hollywood, so A) they have no creativity of their own anymore, and B) they love destroying popular franchises in order to make a quick buck. The name alone will get idiots to pay to see it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FeralWraith posted:

The name alone will get idiots to pay to see it.

Kaubocks posted:

I'm an idiot.

:negative:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pandora is basically just Gotham without Batman and more murder anyway.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

And more people having a good time without that kill joy batman around anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Klaus88 posted:

And more people having a good time without that kill joy batman around anyway.

Vaughn did spend a whole episode paralyzed.

I guess that's just as likely in Gotham, though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Now that I think about it, a lot of Pandora's notable psychos wouldn't be out of place at Arkham. Bossanova alone would make a great Batman villain.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Vaughn did spend a whole episode paralyzed.

This is only because the thread consistently makes the wrong decision of not trusting our best frenemy Handsome Jack.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Nervous posted:

This is only because the thread consistently makes the wrong decision of not trusting our best frenemy Handsome Jack.

We cannot hold back their tide of bad decisions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Nervous posted:

Spoilers for Arkham Knight.

masam
May 27, 2010
CATCH A RIDDDEEEEE I just...why would they kill scooter?! Why not claptrap?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

masam posted:

CATCH A RIDDDEEEEE I just...why would they kill scooter?! Why not claptrap?

I think this was explained earlier, but the voice actor of Scooter had cancer, and the Borderlands team decided to give the character a proper heroic sendoff.

Or, I think that's how the thing goes. I was wrong about the Raisin Varner thing earlier in the thread.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

On the one hand: weird, derivative, and completely missing the premise and point plot

On the other: LIVE ACTION SCOOTER.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Cangelosi posted:

I think this was explained earlier, but the voice actor of Scooter had cancer, and the Borderlands team decided to give the character a proper heroic sendoff.

Or, I think that's how the thing goes. I was wrong about the Raisin Varner thing earlier in the thread.

Oh.

Well that makes the whole thing MUCH sadder. :(

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Er, Scooter is voiced by this guy who, near as I can tell, is perfectly fine.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

Er, Scooter is voiced by this guy who, near as I can tell, is perfectly fine.

actually he's got multiple sclerosis

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think what's being referred to is that Mickey Neumann had a stroke between Borderlands 1 and 2. I don't know if that affected his ability to do the Scooter voice though.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

He's not dying of cancer at any rate.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Kaubocks posted:

actually he's got multiple sclerosis

http://kotaku.com/5853740/at-age-29-a-game-developer-now-battles-back-from-a-stroke

He was diagnosed with MS but it turned out he doesn't have it. He has a patent foramen ovale, a tunnel between his heart's chambers.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

http://kotaku.com/5853740/at-age-29-a-game-developer-now-battles-back-from-a-stroke

He was diagnosed with MS but it turned out he doesn't have it. He has a patent foramen ovale, a tunnel between his heart's chambers.

He mentions MS at one point in this article which implies to me he does, and this was written by him and is a more recent article than that one.

Not that this is something I'm trying to argue about I was just under the impression that he wasn't in the best of health for whatever reason. :frogbon:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Fiona said that was the first of their casualties on their trip and the lack of Sasha in the current time stuff without an explanation like Vaughn is troubling me.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Fiona said that was the first of their casualties on their trip and the lack of Sasha in the current time stuff without an explanation like Vaughn is troubling me.

Of the spacebound crew, I don't think we've seen Finch, Kroger, Gortys, Loaderbot, Jack, Sasha, or August in the present.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nervous posted:

Of the spacebound crew, I don't think we've seen Finch, Kroger, Gortys, Loaderbot, Jack, Sasha, or August in the present.

That's literally everyone except Rhys and Fiona. So that doesn't really tell us much.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Waffleman_ posted:

That's literally everyone except Rhys and Fiona. So that doesn't really tell us much.

I think he means that if there are more casualties, there are plenty of other people who could bite it instead of Sasha, and that just because someone hasn't shown up in the "present", that doesn't mean much.

Doubly so because we don't know who the stranger is. Maybe it's Vaughn! Or Sasha! Or Sasha sitting on Vaughn's shoulders! :3:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Nervous posted:

Rhys' eye isn't a different color in the present, so that's Jack accounted for. Finch, Kroger, and August are all villains so I get them not being there. Loaderbot is already on his last legs and I figure Gortys achieved her destiny. Yes that's all bullshit, but it was pretty easy for me to get why they would all be gone. I don't have that for Sasha.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The Stranger looks a sight too tall to be either Sasha or Vaughn. Maybe it's Athena?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Felinoid posted:

Doubly so because we don't know who the stranger is. Maybe it's Vaughn! Or Sasha! Or Sasha sitting on Vaughn's shoulders! :3:

Ewwwww. I don't want to think of two people crammed into that suit. On Pandora? So sweaty. Gross.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

The Stranger looks a sight too tall to be either Sasha or Vaughn. Maybe it's Athena?

Unlikely. Unless the Stranger is really significantly in the future, we know Athena's a prisoner of Lilith right now. It can't be her.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So the results of the vote should come as no surprise to anyone, but let's look at them anyway. Do we launch the satellite?

Launch! - 43
Don't launch! - 3

...I guess we do! What message are we going to leave as his epitaph, though?

"See you, Space Cowboy..." - 4
"Hero, friend, and hero." - 0
"Best. Mechanic. Ever." - 0
"Catch a Ride!" - 37

A fitting send-off for a series regular. Godspeed, little buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
This is probably the least surprising result of any of the votes so far. We may be goons, but we are not monsters.

• Locked thread