Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i wish u guys were in this sauna with me right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I squatted 345 lbs at 188 lbs bw a while back. Haven't been to the gym consistently since then bc of work. I figure that is good enough to quit forever and brag about.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zzulu posted:

i wish u guys were in this sauna with me right now

u phoneposting from the sauna? :ohdear:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Zzulu posted:

Was he hot though?

He certainly knew what he was doing :gay:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My bench is bad

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
But it's less bad than it was a month ago

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Pesmerga posted:

u phoneposting from the sauna? :ohdear:

I have discovered that an Iphone can deal with the sauna for short spurts of time

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Booties posted:

I squatted 345 lbs at 188 lbs bw a while back. Haven't been to the gym consistently since then bc of work. I figure that is good enough to quit forever and brag about.

It's very impressive, but it's not 400lbs impressive.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

notZaar posted:

i weigh 400lbs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Then you must let me deadlift you

its in the rules

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah more seriously the vast majority of strong people are pretty nice and helpful and less of them are on something than you'd think. Learn what you can from them. You're in the right environment to make crazy gains.

So my knees have been getting reeeally sore and tight after squatting. My first day at this new gym and I make this comment to one of the guys who competes in powerlifting. He proceeds to coach me for like 30 minutes on wide stance squats. Squatted pretty heavy (for me) and my knees felt way way way better the next day. Only thing is, with the wider stance I'm not bombing all the way rear end to grass ( I normally squat so low that my hamstrings touch my calves), but he said I'm still breaking parallel by a few inches when squatting wide. He told me that if I want to do deep narrow squats to do lighter weight, and for heavier do a wide stance to just below parallel.

The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax

Zzulu posted:

I have discovered that an Iphone can deal with the sauna for short spurts of time

How about the steam room op

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Diamonds posted:

So my knees have been getting reeeally sore and tight after squatting. My first day at this new gym and I make this comment to one of the guys who competes in powerlifting. He proceeds to coach me for like 30 minutes on wide stance squats. Squatted pretty heavy (for me) and my knees felt way way way better the next day. Only thing is, with the wider stance I'm not bombing all the way rear end to grass ( I normally squat so low that my hamstrings touch my calves), but he said I'm still breaking parallel by a few inches when squatting wide. He told me that if I want to do deep narrow squats to do lighter weight, and for heavier do a wide stance to just below parallel.

You'll spare your knees at the expense of your hips

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

You'll spare your knees at the expense of your hips

Well poo poo what now

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao if you don't have a gut forcing you to go sumo on squats.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Paper Diamonds posted:

Well poo poo what now

Squat narrow and don't go so low. Why are you squatting that deep anyway?

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Dum Cumpster posted:

Was told to go rear end to grass ever since i first started squatting. Plus it feels good. Until the next day when my knees are sore.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Paper Diamonds posted:

Was told to go rear end to grass ever since i first started squatting. Plus it feels good. Until the next day when my knees are sore.

You missed the "but don't do it if it hurts" that applies to everything.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dum Cumpster posted:

Something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OToJvNhiBxM

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Only go that deep if you're wearing knee wraps.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Paper Diamonds posted:

Go as low as you're comfortable going, I guess if it hurts your knees to go v far down consider not going so low

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Aralan posted:

Go as low as you're comfortable going, I guess if it hurts your knees to go v far down consider not going so low
At the time of squatting it feels good. The next day stiff as gently caress. I'll try narrow and a bit shallower on Monday. Are wider stance really that bad of an alternative? I'm not even sure if the depth in the narrow squat is the issue that's causing the stiffness.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dum Cumpster posted:

You missed the "but don't do it if it hurts" that applies to everything.

Number one rule of lifting.

Don't feel like you have to squat, especially if your goal is to develop your physique and ESPECIALLY if you can't do it without your knees/hips/back hurting.

If youre dead-set on squatting, adjust your form and lighten the weight. Keep the intensity high by increasing the rep range, decreasing the rest periods, pre-exhaust, etc

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dum Cumpster posted:

Only go that deep if you're wearing knee wraps.

I don't think he actually bent his knees - he just kind of stuck his butt out a bit.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Paper Diamonds posted:

At the time of squatting it feels good. The next day stiff as gently caress. I'll try narrow and a bit shallower on Monday. Are wider stance really that bad of an alternative? I'm not even sure if the depth in the narrow squat is the issue that's causing the stiffness.

They're not necessarily bad but can stress your hips out over time. Better than something that'd definitely causing you pain.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

Lmao if you don't have a gut forcing you to go sumo on squats.

"sumo squats" aren't really a thing unless you're talking about that exercise where you're holding a dumbbell

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Say Nothing posted:

I don't think he actually bent his knees - he just kind of stuck his butt out a bit.

Should have wrapped his glutes too.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

"sumo squats" aren't really a thing unless you're talking about that exercise where you're holding a dumbbell

I just mean putting your tumtum between your knees rather than pancaking it on them.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

I just mean putting your tumtum between your knees rather than pancaking it on them.

Yeah I googled it and it turns out it is in fact a "term". Sorry for being a pedant.

Keep lifting hard friend

Warpigeon
Aug 8, 2002
Daddy

Full Metal Jackass posted:

This thread is really gay and I'm loving it.

After finishing our 5-6am workout me and two straight dudes sat in the sauna and admired each other's bearded and shirtless selves for 20 minutes.

Nothing gay about that, aside from me, but they don't know that :smuggo:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Warpigeon posted:

After finishing our 5-6am workout me and two straight dudes sat in the sauna and admired each other's bearded and shirtless selves for 20 minutes.

Nothing gay about that, aside from me, but they don't know that :smuggo:

Hope y'all weren't wearing towels otherwise why are you posting this ????? Z's

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

notZaar posted:

fine i'll go do that then

Warpigeon
Aug 8, 2002
Daddy

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Hope y'all weren't wearing towels otherwise why are you posting this ????? Z's

Of course not, we wore shorts. We sat on our towels because the wood bench is all grimy from sweaty gross people who use it but shouldn't, but do; but shouldn't, yet they do.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude
Training quads/glutes... I get so loving hungry for the rest of the day it aint even funny, I eat *everything*, like a loving beast. And it is an unstoppable craving, grr.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
A healthy dosage of DH Lawrence style homosexuality is one of the best things you can have for big gains

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Warpigeon posted:

Of course not, we wore shorts. We sat on our towels because the wood bench is all grimy from sweaty gross people who use it but shouldn't, but do; but shouldn't, yet they do.

omg shorts and towel

you have defiled the sauna

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i forgot if i posted this or not last week but i've had some squatting knee issues too. i had no problems last time i worked out squatting, then i got a job working a shitton of hours where I'm on my feet(but it's not terribly grueling) and quit working out for about 6 or 7 months. Anyway, I joined a 24 7 gym a couple weeks ago and I'm getting back in the swing of things except I get knee pain when I squat now. It doesn't hurt bad as long as I don't ignore it and keep squatting. Feels like a tightness tugging around my kneecap is the best way to describe it. I've tried going wide on my stance, but my loss of flexibility makes that hard to keep my knees out tracking with my toes, and doesn't seem to make a difference anyway.

I'm sure I know what it is, since I've been working out I've neglected foam rolling and stretching at night. I started doing it last night(focusing on quads and IT band mostly, but I hit other areas too), and it seemed to help the pain(and I had none today) but it's too early to tell for sure. just posting in here because why not? but i guess thats the answer.

also fwiw deadlift doesn't hurt. In fact jumping back in and working up to a 225x5 deadlift over the 2 weeks didsn't even hurt it, but if i attempt even a 115 squat it did.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
please be careful with your knees, I wasnt and tore a ligament in half. It wasnt even that painful so dont assume youre ok just because the pain isnt so bad

I squatted weirdly, my knee felt off and then a mild pain/discomfort after a while. Went a month waiting for it to heal but it never got back to 100%

Had surgery after finding out the ligament was broken and the mild discomfort went away but its still not and prob never will be 100% again :negative:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That 'tightness' are your ligaments screaming for help.

All of those doodads up in there, waitin to snap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yeah I'm not even going to attempt to squat anything over 115 until I'm sure it's 100% pain free. Like I said I'm pretty sure it's just tightness doing it. The first time I started working out I thought I was loving up my back deadlifting, and it turned out I wasn't really stretching or foam rolling and doing that made it go away. Hoping it's the same deal here. Also I'm not sure how I would have tore anything. I know my form wasn't awful or anything and I didn't do anything to injure it the past few months. Like I said, this pain only started when I resumed working out after 6 months of inactivity other than working.

e: I do have health insurance now, finally. At what point should I see go see a doctor? I figure I make sure to stretch and foam roll and do all I can to get my flexibility back while going extremely easy about trying to squat. If the pain goes away then I guess I'm good. If it doesn't I guess I should make an appointment?

e2: while it's my left knee that usually a little worse, it's the exact same in both. What are the chances I'd just have randomly snapped ligaments in both knees?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 14, 2016

• Locked thread