Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

Any experiences of technical jankiness on the PS4 version?

No crashes or bugs so far but the load times are unbelievably slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No crashes or bugs so far but the load times are unbelievably slow.

No worse than Bloodborne's was back when that launched.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
This game is going to get a ton of poo poo, some deserved (technical issues and always-online), some undeserved(dumdums buying the $60 game and complaining about one map), but I think this is a really promising start.

I've completed the Paris mission in four very different ways and there's still a bunch I'd like to try. If they maintain this level of quality, this is going to be a worthy successor to Blood Money.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

jneer posted:

dumdums buying the $60 game and complaining about one map

The dumdum in me really really wanted to put down the $60 to get beta access, especially since I had just upgraded my PC and was desperate to play Hitman as soon as possible. When they rejiggered the release format and made the $15 intro pack available, I was more than happy to pay for it before it was released. I'm seeing this initial release as a $15 game, which in my opinion is well worth it (even though I can't play the Paris level at the moment).

Anyone who paid $60 up front is an idiot; one because they preordered a $60 game, and two because some of them thought they were going to get $60 of game up front, despite it being pretty clear that it wasn't being offered.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Fat Care-Bear posted:

I don't know, gore in video games ultimately acts as a feedback mechanism to show that you're doing damage. I don't think they get their dicks hard on it, they just want more visual feedback.

It's..they really are gore fetishists. Just below blood in postcount are requests for dismemberment.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

pnutz posted:

the problem with the inspector was that someone eventually came into that room to check up on him, so you had to scramble to the escape point before you got rumbled. This even happened if you pulled the fire alarm, someone would eventually walk in wondering why he wasn't running out with the rest of them

I can't remember if it got me a Silent Assassin rating but I managed to bomb him and escape with no witnesses or bodies found.
Kill the German and sneak a silenced pistol into the meeting as him. Replace the pistol from the briefcase with a mine. Make the exchange and while the courier is bringing the briefcase with the explosive to the inspector, it was possible to headshot the sitting sheik from an angle that he wouldn't be alarmed.

Then it's just a matter of casually walking to the exit and waiting for the bomb to go off.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The menu system on PS4 loving sucks. God help you if you hit Circle on the planning screen instead of D-Pad left and have to replan and sit through the loading times. I did this about four times today.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
(Trying to make useful spoilers here)
Showstopper mission
Helmut
Dahlia

Count Freebasie posted:

If you trail Helmut into that outside area, he will call Dahlia to arrange a meeting (I think it's the second phone call he makes). If you kill/incapacitate him, you need to pick up his phone and call her back with it to get details on the actual meeting location. After doing a run on the catwalk, you'll be summoned to a private room with her upstairs where she will explain Helmut's mission to you. I garroted her and dumped her in the closet in that room after she was done talking to me and was getting up to leave. I don't remember if she led me into the adjacent room from the big meeting room, but I may have gone in first and then she followed me. Afterwards, I just walked out and left and then a few minutes later the loving servers kicked me, so I don't know if I even got the accomplishment.

You know you've done everything right if you meet Dahlia by herself in a room with cyanide on the table. You can pick it up, and when she takes an emergency phone call, poison the drink in the room. After her call, she'll make a toast and die. At least in my game, a guard immediately walks in, but if you leave right as she drinks, you'll be fine.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You know you've done everything right if you meet Dahlia by herself in a room with cyanide on the table. You can pick it up, and when she takes an emergency phone call, poison the drink in the room. After her call, she'll make a toast and die. At least in my game, a guard immediately walks in, but if you leave right as she drinks, you'll be fine.

what i did was mash b as soon as she drank the thing and picked up her foot while she was still standing and moved her behind the couch. its just hilarious the guard is oblivious to the fact his employer is dead behind the couch hes guarding

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Moartoast posted:

Here's the secret: IOI has never known what the gently caress they're doing, have mostly produced poo poo, and the good poo poo they made was largely just small moments of clarity in a sea of garbage. Blood Money was the closest thing to being consistently decent, and it still had a shitload of massive problems, not the least of which being introducing the game with an ugly linear level about Danish people wearing virtual blackface.

Also, the melee thing seems intentional. It's pretty hokey, but I guess the idea is that, if you don't want them to compromise your disguise, you have to risk subduing them. Not graceful design, but it's kinda whatever. The other thing seems like a delayed AI trigger or something, which does happen way more often than it ought to, and in general the dialogue system seems pretty borked so idk.

now we are reminded of how multicultural and diverse the staff are every time we launch the drat game

yet everyone in paris sounds american

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Due to an Amazon gently caress up back in early February, I got the full game for $15. Has the usual jank so I haven't been able to finish Paris yet. Trying to get Silent Assassin, Suit Only out of the way before trying the rest.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
Seems a bit masochistic, no? You'll get to know the map and guard movements better if you can walk around in a disguise with impunity.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

jneer posted:

Seems a bit masochistic, no?

I mean, you won't get an argument out of me!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

(Trying to make useful spoilers here)
Showstopper mission
Helmut
Dahlia

When I did this the guard never showed up, so I had enough time to drag her body into the closet and finish with a Silent Assassin rating

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

fleshweasel posted:

Any experiences of technical jankiness on the PS4 version?

There is a 10-15 second loading screen for the screen where you load your game, and again for the screen where you save your game. Once you're in the game it's fine in terms of performance, though I've had two crashes to desktop in 6 hours which is completely terrible. There was also a bug I encountered once where it was autosaving continuously for about 30 seconds which tanked the frame rate and left me with eight saves in the same corridor.

Coupled with two lengthy periods where I wasn't allowed to play the game because the servers were down and I'm wishing I waited for a patch and/or an inevitable sale.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything more to Mr.Reaper? I took part in the auction, briefly chatted with Dalia and that's it. Though, I also overheard her on the phone trying to find out who reaper is while in the bathroom, guess it just makes her be alone in the bathroom?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Reaper's a callback to the same alias being used in the first game and referenced in a couple later games.

I'm really intrigued by the conversations people are having ingame about the vampire.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
I've been spotted through several walls by some rando NPC when dragging a body down the basement stairwell, I fixed DX12's stuttering by switching Render Target Reuse from Auto to Enabled, but now a whooole lot of textures are tinted blue, and melee (or really, anything that's not the garrotte, including the syringe) from behind is super inconsistent with how detectable it is. The launch jank is palpable, even dismissing server issues.

Some of my fears of script triggers came true, some didn't. NPCs largely don't seem tied down until you walk into their vicinity, but there's still the issue of loving up your timing because you triggered dialogue by proximity, so it takes longer for them to go to the next spot on their route.

Contracts have the issue that I knew they'd have, in that most active NPCs basically just stand in the same place forever or have very basic patrol routes, so it's usually just "cheese coins/throwables to move them here and then murder". If I had it my way, the release schedule would end with a level editor proper, but with the amount of detailed dialogue and visuals they're pushing (and AAA business being what it is) there's no way in hell that's happening. It would totally extend the lifetime of the game tenfold, but try telling Squeenix's higher ups why that'd be a good thing that would not actually cut into future sales.

Despite all of this, I'm still really enjoying this. It's not really "Blood Money 2", it's kinda its own HM game, with its own advantages and caveats while still sticking to a general design ethos that makes it feel focused.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
perhaps it is with the vampire that we will unlock the secret dual silverballers

which will probably recoil terribly and take too many shots to kill someone. seriously why do headshots not kill, that fuckin silenced smg must fire rubber bullets

TE!
Nov 26, 2003

I LOVE THE LITTLE BOYS OF CATHOLIC!! LOLZ!

Moartoast posted:

I've been spotted through several walls by some rando NPC when dragging a body down the basement stairwell

This is what is preventing me 100% the game and I've pretty much given up. Had a bit of fun with this but that is just way to irritating to bother getting the last few achievements.

There is way too little content here to justify the price they are charging in my opinion, regardless of if you look at episode or full game price. Even if you assume the next 8 episodes are as big as the Paris map that still is really just 8 maps with some basic skyrim like npc scripting in the size of a slight-larger-than-normal fps map.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I really wish they'd give us the ability to turn off object indicators.

I really want to discover which objects are interactive on my own, but walking through the Paris level, I'm seeing little squares on everything (which are impossible to turn off, I've tried), and it kind of annoys me that I'll never get to "discover" those objects and potential opportunities myself.

One of the reasons Blood Money keeps me coming back a decade later is because I'm still discovering things I didn't know I could use/interact with, and seeing them all out in the open like this makes me think it's going to negatively affect the replay value for me.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

well i just got booted off the server crashing my twenty seconds of exploratory looking around which is pretty annoying. hey IO/squeenix no-one actually cares about leaderboards especially since everybody has 210,000 points atm, nobody needs to be online to do challenges, thanks

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jintor posted:

well i just got booted off the server crashing my twenty seconds of exploratory looking around which is pretty annoying. hey IO/squeenix no-one actually cares about leaderboards especially since everybody has 210,000 points atm, nobody needs to be online to do challenges, thanks
Same, I was scouting out the paris level and who knows how terrible the autosaves are

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jintor posted:

What I really don't get the most is why there's no option to continue when the server goes offline, and why the "offline mode" seems to do jack poo poo. Why can I not load my game's save when I'm offline? What is the point of the offline mode at all?

I mean I guess this will all get fixed eventually, but it's amazing how badly they're managing the rollout.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I don't find the game loading times that bad, at least on the Bone — it's about a minute and a half to load Paris the first time, but then loading saves once I'm already on the level takes about 30-40 seconds. Not great, but it's not that annoying either. What's it like on the PS4?

What is annoying is that the menus are insanely slow to navigate, which I don't understand. Like going through the challenges, just scrolling through them, probably takes 20 seconds.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Saladman posted:

I don't find the game loading times that bad, at least on the Bone — it's about a minute and a half to load Paris the first time, but then loading saves once I'm already on the level takes about 30-40 seconds. Not great, but it's not that annoying either. What's it like on the PS4?

What is annoying is that the menus are insanely slow to navigate, which I don't understand. Like going through the challenges, just scrolling through them, probably takes 20 seconds.

Same deal on PS4, basically.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Have to say the game looks realllly nice on ps4, regardless of load times.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

About continuing after loosing connection and save games, it tells you first time you start the game that online and offline is different save games, you use one of them, can't swap between them. It sucks, but the game has told you.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I spent like 30 minutes doing the suit only silent assassin challenge and it didn't even unlock. Think im done with this until the next level :(

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

About continuing after loosing connection and save games, it tells you first time you start the game that online and offline is different save games, you use one of them, can't swap between them. It sucks, but the game has told you.

Just because it says something doesn't mean it's not an utterly retarded way of doing it when they know their servers aren't going to be able to handle launch traffic. Hitman is giving me bad flashbacks to the Diablo III launch. Probably every other online game that's ever come out is like this too, but D3 was the last one I played.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

StabMasterArson posted:

I spent like 30 minutes doing the suit only silent assassin challenge and it didn't even unlock. Think im done with this until the next level :(

Yeah, I know for sure I've done a few challenges that didn't unlock. Still haven't figured out if it's a glitch or if I'm missing something. I know one mission requires you to stay away from CCTV cameras, but does it count as being "spotted" if you get recorded on them?

Puella
Oct 31, 2013

The meaning of life is The Sims.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The load times in this game :corsair:

They're like three minutes at most.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Jintor posted:

So, the 210,000 points thing is a bug, right? I thought that maybe it was just a contracts thing and the timer would just kick in if you messed up one of the bonuses or something, didn't realize even the main leaderboards were that borked.

It really sucks that there's so many technical issues holding the game back for so many people. I was willing to give the online stuff the benefit of the doubt, because contracts and elusive targets seem neat, but this server poo poo is ridiculous and unnecessary.

There's not even a lovely DRM reason for it, Square Enix mandates Denuvo on all their modern PC releases, and pirates can't even be bothered to crack that at this point unless it's in a super high-profile release. The only way to pirate JC3 to this day is cheesing Steam refunds and family sharing, and have fun doing that without getting in trouble.

jfc squeenix.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Jake Snake posted:

Yeah, I know for sure I've done a few challenges that didn't unlock. Still haven't figured out if it's a glitch or if I'm missing something. I know one mission requires you to stay away from CCTV cameras, but does it count as being "spotted" if you get recorded on them?

Even if I had been spotted I still should have got the Suit Only challenge, but it was on the spetznaz base mission and as far as I know there aren't any cameras there.

E: Contracts mode seems a little weird right now, the creator can't choose where the player spawns or what equipment they take and all the disguise / weapon restrictions are optional. Also there just doesn't seem to be anyone playing it

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 13, 2016

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Puella posted:

that's pretty bad

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

E: Contracts mode seems a little weird right now, the creator can't choose where the player spawns or what equipment they take and all the disguise / weapon restrictions are optional. Also there just doesn't seem to be anyone playing it

The lack of restrictions seem to be an attempt at allowing more freedom by default, so you don't get the kind of gently caress-you contracts (some of which I totally made) from Absolution that are completable with one very specific course of actions and nothing else. If you kill a person without either of the disguise or weapon restrictions, it basically doesn't count as an objective complete on the end screen. You also, AFAIK, get to use weapons you haven't unlocked if the contract asks for it. On the one hand, I dig it, on the other hand, creators should be allowed to clamp down stuff like starting areas or certain planning items.

There's probably nobody playing it because the game just came out and the servers are a hot mess making everyone (justifiably) salty. I did play a contract named "These people need to die, I guess" with a description of "These people did very bad things somewhere so this person told us to tell you to kill them, make it look like security guards are shootin up the place, like crazy town" and had two targets that had the exact same face, which I kind of loved, even if I later learned you can just check the map to see their names so it's no big deal.

Puella posted:

That's a lot of minutes for any game released after the Playstation era!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Hitman used to have a cool facebook app. Not the one that let you send death threats (though that was cool) but it analyzed your network based on who was stalking whom. It was fun.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's good that Agent 47 had a tablet in his jacket with the 'evil auction' app pre-installed before infiltrating the palace. :unsmith:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Decided to buy the intro pack, had almost 8 quid in my wallet anyway. So it just finished downloading and I checked out the options. Why is my texture quality setting locked at low? :argh:

Ran the Benchmark and low textures actually don't look like rear end so eh whatever. Now to gently caress about with the settings some more and see how far I can raise it without destroying my FPS

cool new Metroid game fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Megadyptes posted:

Decided to buy the intro pack, had almost 8 quid in my wallet anyway. So it just finished downloading and I checked out the options. Why is my texture quality setting locked at low? :argh:

Ran the Benchmark and low textures actually don't look like rear end so eh whatever. Now to gently caress about with the settings some more and see how far I can raise it without destroying my FPS

Mine was locked to low in the launcher menu, but I could change it in the game itself. :shrug: