Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sleepy.eyes posted:

Same here, man. I used to get stressed and mad, but it did gently caress-all to help . I eventually realized this and chilled out, makes driving a lot nicer. Became a safer driver too, because I took a rational look at what I was doing in response to the people around me and saw how anger made me do reckless poo poo.

I did the same thing and calmed the gently caress down in traffic, because I realized that being angry wouldn't get me to my destination any faster or any safer, probably the opposite.

Now I just silently judge people instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Crosspost from that mechanical thingy thread because I didn't know this thread still existed:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

nm posted:

You know you're probably (And I only say that because I don't know all the facts, but based on what you say) at fault if he hits you, right?
You're turning across an intersection, you have to yield. This "left turn gets to go at the yellow" thing is courtesy but not law. If he entered on the yellow, you're probably boned.

Actually, not quite - he was already too far away to make it but tried to gun it anyway to beat the light while I was in the intersection. I had pulled up to make my left while the light was still green, and had plenty of time to make my turn before the light went yellow and he decided to accelerate and be a piece of poo poo. So if he'd hit me mid-turn, he'd get failure to yield AND nailed with speeding and reckless driving, as he rightfully should for being a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

FYI nm is a traffic attorney or something like that and has a pretty good idea how these things work.

Your perception is theoretically correct or possible, but he'd have a lot less trouble proving you turned in front of him than you would proving he "gunned it", and the law (at least in the states I'm aware of, I'm not a traffic attorney but I do pay attention to actual vehicle codes) definitely stipulates that a vehicle entering the intersection on a yellow light would be permitted to proceed through the intersection, and vehicles turning across traffic without a protecting light are definitely required to yield to oncoming traffic.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't people going straight always have the right of way? If a vehicle is changing lanes, or changing direction, the onus is on the driver to clear that maneuver, not any traffic that might be in his way.

And as far as "right of way" goes, it's

1: People continuing straight
2: People turning right
3: People turning left

If you're turning left, then you're at the bottom of the totem pole.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

Don't people going straight always have the right of way? If a vehicle is changing lanes, or changing direction, the onus is on the driver to clear that maneuver, not any traffic that might be in his way.

Yes.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Geirskogul posted:

Don't people going straight always have the right of way?

In general you are right, but in rural France, sometimes traffic turning right onto your lane has right of way. It's largely trivia, and harkens to a time of horse and buggy and perpetuates into modern agricultural communities. Drivers are frequently reminded of "priorité a droite" by upside-down yield signs with black Xs in them. I drove in France for a week last fall and I was nervous as hell in the countryside.
http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/priority-a-droite.htm
:goonsay:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deedle posted:

Last night on our drive home from a birthday party in Venray, my girlfriend and I were the unfortunate witnesses to a collision between a bicyclist and an HGV.

Thankfully the teenager on the bicycle survived long enough for EMTs to scrape him off the pavement.
But the whole affair was pretty drat hosed up.

The bicyclist had no lights or retroreflectors to make them visible. The road in question is an 80kph zoned provincial road, that is closed to pedestrians, bicyclists, mopeds, and agricultural vehicles.
And as makes sense with a road like that, there are no streetlights.
There is a parallel lane, separated from the main road, specifically for the traffic not allowed in the main road.

I called 112 to get an ambulance and cops to come to the scene. Because what else can I possibly do?

Seemingly out of nowhere a man that tells me he is the father of the bicyclist shows up and starts to question me about what happened.
As I told him the boy on the bicycle was riding in the wrong place and without lights, he gets extremely angry. How dare I blame his son, the victim, of being responsible for getting run over by an HGV.

I told him that it really is what happened and that I already gave a statement to the police.

Apparently hearing the truth about the stupidity of your child is a reason to threaten the people who were traumatized by having to witness the entire incident to begin with.

As my girlfriend walks back to the car to get away from the irate fuckwit, he grabs her spastic arm and starts a rant about how he just knows the she got that from a traffic accident.

Great, now my girlfriend has bruises up and down half her arm. Some stupid kid is in hospital after riding his bicycle under an HGV, and his dad is in jail on assault charges.
I wonder how the mother is going to react when later this week they'll get a court summons, because we're suing them for compensation for the bodily harm inflicted by the father.

People are stupid.

That sucks. I feel sort of bad for the retarded violent fuckwit in question, too, though. People don't behave rationally when they find out their kid nearly got killed, whether or not it's their own fault. Doesn't excuse what he did, though.

Speaking of retards who should get hit by a HGV: they changed a one-way street to a two-way/lane reversal street near me, complete with protected turns and all that cool stuff. Great, right*? Well, not when rear end in a top hat pedestrians decide to cross the street against against the protected turn, loving everything up! Why don't pedestrians have more consideration for other road users? I go out of my way to follow the law and be considerate to drivers when I'm a pedestrian, because it's a nice thing to do and I want to make the world a better place. Why can't other pedestrians offer me the same courtesy when I'm driving?

* Not actually great. Stupid and useless, catering to a bunch of commuters instead of people who actually live in the area.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

go3 posted:

MY EXIT IS COMING UP IN 3 MILES DONT WANT TO MISS IT
I wish.

I drive an 18 wheeler, and I have been cut off several times by people who just want to pass that big rig and then OH NO EXIT TIME TO SWERVE. I've acquired a sixth sense about it, and lift off the gas before exits in heavy traffic, and it pays off.

The problem is that people assume the fast lane will stay fast forever, up to and including where they want to exit. Mais, non.

TNO posted:

I prefer it too, but more as an alternative to people who pull into my blind spot and hang there for a while before slowly creeping past at [my speed] + 0.001mph
Do you drive a Charger or Crown Vic? I get cagey around them and I drive a Grand Marquis which is just a Crown Vic with a different badge.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 14, 2016

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Geirskogul posted:

Don't people going straight always have the right of way?

Generally yes, but I will bring up an exception that has signage to enforce it.

In Texas* sometimes frontage roads run alongside the Interstate Highways. They come in the 2 lane 1 way version, and the 2 lane 2 way version. And loving 4 lane boulevards but that's Texas for ya. Anyway, for the 2 lane 2 way frontage roads, there are yield signs that signify that traffic that is about to go onto the Interstate has the right of way, because they need to keep their speed to merge.

Here's a picture. The blue has the right of way as they merge, the red has to yield.

*and other western states but I drive Texas all the time so that's what I know

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder how many traffic deaths that genius invention has caused.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Some cars crashed into a restaurant near me today and people are calling it "a freak accident." No it loving isn't, something caused those cars to leave the street and enter the restaurant, and I'll bet dollars to donuts someone was doing something wrong and quite possibly illegal.

This kind of attitude, that there are such things as "freak accidents," really helps justify and perpetuate lovely and dangerous driving. It was daytime in good weather, dammit! Someone hosed up big!

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of all the old people who drive into buildings out in Buffalo, NY.

I searched for a few articles and apparently someone made a custom Google map with dozens of crashes and links to news reports:

https://goo.gl/6jfoWx

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

xzzy posted:

I wonder how many traffic deaths that genius invention has caused.

It's Texas.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/state-by-state-overview

They have the most highway deaths in the country, and California has more people. Somehow SC dubiously wins by per capita, but Texas highways are deadly.

Also that is a pro click

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sigma posted:

That reminds me of all the old people who drive into buildings out in Buffalo, NY.

I searched for a few articles and apparently someone made a custom Google map with dozens of crashes and links to news reports:

https://goo.gl/6jfoWx

That is amazing.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

CannonFodder posted:

Do you drive a Charger or Crown Vic? I get cagey around them and I drive a Grand Marquis which is just a Crown Vic with a different badge.

I drive a focus. I just seem to easily attract road zombies for some reason.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

TNO posted:

I drive a focus. I just seem to easily attract road zombies for some reason.

:ohdear: Please get off the list of vehicles with the highest rates of death. (You're at #10.)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CannonFodder posted:

It's Texas.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/state-by-state-overview

They have the most highway deaths in the country, and California has more people. Somehow SC dubiously wins by per capita, but Texas highways are deadly.

Also that is a pro click

Those suicide frontage roads usually get converted to one-way frontage roads when the surrounding area gets populous enough.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Karma Monkey posted:

:ohdear: Please get off the list of vehicles with the highest rates of death. (You're at #10.)

Ouch. Is there a rational explanation as to why some vehicles have higher fatality percentage? Having seen the advertisement for Kia, I'm fault certain that it has something to do with the kind of people that buy it. A lowest common denominator, with the least amount of driver training...

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Nitrox posted:

Ouch. Is there a rational explanation as to why some vehicles have higher fatality percentage? Having seen the advertisement for Kia, I'm fault certain that it has something to do with the kind of people that buy it. A lowest common denominator, with the least amount of driver training...

The Camaro stats are hilarious (single vehicle crashes/rollovers versus multi-vehicle):

quote:

Chevrolet Camaro
Overall driver deaths (per million): 80
Multiple-vehicle crashes: 19
Single-vehicle crashes: 60
Single-vehicle rollovers: 25

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is it just me or is that a stupid way to report the numbers? Why not just give the raw numbers, what value is added by calculating ratio and giving the deaths per million (I assume) vehicles?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Yeah it's just you. :) The raw numbers are pointless because they tell you nothing - the car could be dangerous or just owned or driven a shitload more than others. The stats per miles traveled would be much more useful.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

In general you are right, but in rural France, sometimes traffic turning right onto your lane has right of way. It's largely trivia, and harkens to a time of horse and buggy and perpetuates into modern agricultural communities. Drivers are frequently reminded of "priorité a droite" by upside-down yield signs with black Xs in them. I drove in France for a week last fall and I was nervous as hell in the countryside.

It's hardly an obscure redneck trivia thing at least in other places in Europe, there's a whole street near me where it's used at every loving intersection and it pisses me off to no end because in addition to the stupid speed bumps, you have to almost stop every 50m because there's no visibility to the right. The street should clearly have priority, but they obviously wanted everyone to slow waaay down.

It's also the go-to rule if nothing else applies. It wouldn't be so bad if it was consistently understood and followed, but as is, there are too many things to process and account for others, so it's always a huge clustfuck unless it's explicitly marked as here. But even then...

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The sign you refer to isn't there to remind people of priorite-a-droite, it means "dangerous intersection ahead". There is a whole family of "upside-down yield signs", they are called warning signs and they are used to alert drivers to stuff down the road. https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verkeersborden_in_Nederland#Serie_J:_Waarschuwing

For example if you carry on straight here, you wouldn't have to yield to any traffic, so there is no reason to remind you of priorite-a-droite. Obviously it gets way more complicated once you want to turn left there and a heap of other rules will come into play, most of which will have you yield to other traffic, some of them even make you yield to pedestrians. Despite the fact that pedestrians aren't drivers and therefor cannot have right of way.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

Karma Monkey posted:

It's due for replacement anyway. I bought it 8 years ago because it was cheap and had a manual transmission.

Also lol at the Aveo, Civic, and Versa each being on there twice.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Nitrox posted:

I figure part of it is the car itself - maybe it rolls easily, goes out of control easily, or doesn't take a hit well (crushes like a soda can). I figure another factor might be that people who drive a particular type of car drive aggressively or overestimate their driving ability or the performance abilities of the car. Another factor might be that some cars aren't noticed or respected by other drivers. I drive a little black POS and a lot of drivers here seem to just not see it or are like "gently caress you" and try to swat me off the road like a gnat. I've taken to driving with my lights on at all times and I drive verrrrry defensively. I'm pretty sure if I had a solid hit in this car, I'd be smooshed. :(

This area is road-ragey as gently caress too. I used to love driving. Now I dread it for the most part.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

Nitrox posted:

From the article:

quote:

In general, the smallest and lightest vehicles resulted in the highest rates of death, with most of them being entry-level models without advanced safety features.

Aside from those, you got cars that people drive like idiots because they think they're invincible (Suburbans, Silverados, etc.) or they overestimate their own driving ability (Camaros).

Edit: Speaking of drivers overestimating their ability, I have fond memories of when I was stationed in North Carolina seeing all the kids who, once they started receiving steady paychecks, promptly bought Mustangs that soon found their way into ditches when the roads got wet.

TNO fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 14, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Was driving home last night to see a dead car with the airbags blown and a sideways front right wheel broken sitting on the inside of a curve. There were skidmarks going the opposite direction going down the street to another car crashed into a driveway, with their front left wheel broken, and dragged down the street.

This is a residential neighborhood. People around here are real fuckers. This road is in the middle of the development, but its kinda like a the secret main route between major roads. As much as I hate speedbumps, several of my neighbors have brought up "we need speedbumps" and I agree. I don't even have kids, but it's hard enough just to back out of the driveway without some car appearing out of nowhere. I'm about to just buy a couple of these and leave them out in the middle of the street.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mobby_6kl posted:

From PYF, presented without comment:

Good riddance.

Only problem is he didn't manage to take out the passing lane hogging brake checking fuckwit along with him.

Seriously, even following at a safe distance and flicking the passing lights at people, I frequently can't get some idiot to move over for several miles, and they're subconsciously pacing the person next to them because their conscious thought is entirely focused on picking their nose / texting / staring into space / eating breakfast and reading the newspaper / staring deep into their own navel and their brainstem is doing all the driving that is going on. Tailgating is not acceptable, and the guy deserves what he got, but that piece of poo poo in the front needs to eat a dick too.

A perfect example is the dipshit in the giant RV who did 65 in the left lane for miles and miles ignoring the flashing lights, horns, etc from the half dozen people stuck behind them, including me. And that's just everyone in between me and them, there were more behind me. They only moved over once a gold minivan and a silver pacifica gave up and blew by them on the right, I assume there were some horns and gestures made or something. Then they pulled out and did the same thing again right in front of the guy in front of me. Last seen: still doing 65 in the left lane when they got out of sight in my rearview.

I'd caltrop the motherfucker myself if I could guarantee it wouldn't hit someone behind them too. That kind of inconsiderate rear end in a top hat lane hogging puts everyone else in a bad mood and instigates all kinds of roadragey poo poo, I saw some REALLY sketchy passes before they got out of my sight.

Deeters posted:

I've gotten to this point recently too. It's like I sense that someone is about to do something stupid, so I back off or give them room, and when they do their stupid thing, I'm already safe. Then I just say "dumbass", and go on with my drive. It's actually really nice to not get super stressed over every time someone drives like poo poo.

Happens to me all the time. It's amusing at times... I'll slow down a bit and give someone a wide berth, go "I bet that guy makes a really boneheaded move shortly" to my GF, and seconds later they whip their hooptie across 3 lanes of traffic all going faster than them without even so much as a glance at the mirror and proceed to leave their blinker on for 3 miles. Called it :v:

Geirskogul posted:

And then there's the wondrous thing known as the Boston Left, which is where there's a red light for your lanes and also oncoming traffic. Both leftmost lanes are "left turn yield on green" signed, with straight-or-left arrows painted on the ground. There's no left green arrow. So what you do is prepare for a racing start, then when the flag dropslight goes green you dump the clutch and blast through your left turn with Ride of the Valkyries playing before the oncoming traffic can get to you.

Might not be strictly legal but it's practiced religiously here. We're also fans of the Roman testudo formation - everyone (up to that one idiot with their face in their phone, who gacks it all up for everyone behind them as well) behind the Boston Left-leader follows in tight formation, leaving no way for oncoming traffic to break through. Sometimes five or six cars will get through (each shielded partially by the rear right quarter of the car in front of them) before the line breaks.

The funny part is that if no one does this, intersections become a giant snarl of politeness and gridlock, because I'm pretty sure our light sequencing traffic engineers have been phoning it in for the last 30 years.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They call it the Pittsburgh Left, here.

Also my wife is amazed every time we're in the car together and I accurately predict what retarded thing someone is about to do seconds before it happens. I have a few hundred thousand miles on the road more than her though, so she hasn't seen it all yet.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Crosspost from that mechanical thingy thread because I didn't know this thread still existed:

there is a third pic in this series - its the one in which the tunnel and Roadrunner are in the process of being painted over.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kastein posted:

Good riddance.

Only problem is he didn't manage to take out the passing lane hogging brake checking fuckwit along with him.

1. The car in front is passing the car to the side.
2. The car in front flicked its brake lights. Notice how it does not dive, it didn't actually slow to any noticable degree.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Maybe the guy in the front doesn't need to be exterminated then. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

PCOS Bill posted:

Also my wife is amazed every time we're in the car together and I accurately predict what retarded thing someone is about to do seconds before it happens. I have a few hundred thousand miles on the road more than her though, so she hasn't seen it all yet.

I know right? I'm approaching 200k miles driven (in my cars alone - not including before '08) and no level of driver stupidity truly surprises me anymore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

1. The car in front is passing the car to the side.
2. The car in front flicked its brake lights. Notice how it does not dive, it didn't actually slow to any noticable degree.
Still, that lead to a crash so he's a dick by definition.

PCOS Bill posted:

Dunno if there's a special name for this here but I've done it too, usually at a single intersection near the office where the lights are timed so that the oncoming traffic is just about arriving from the previous light when it goes green. So unless there are some racers there too, you have just enough time with a quick launch. Otherwise if there are cars already lined up, it's a bit too sketchy for my taste as you have no idea how quickly one of them might take off.

Overall I haven't driven that much really, but I'm starting to get the pre-crime visions too, it's always fun to spot and guess what the morons are going to do.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Nitrox posted:

I'd much rather drive a Rio than an Aveo, fwiw. The Rio hatches are surprisingly nice inside and relatively peppy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a primate posted:

I'd much rather drive a Rio than an Aveo, fwiw. The Rio hatches are surprisingly nice inside and relatively peppy.

The Aveo has a 30k "inspection" and a 60k timing belt replacement interval, which is just loving insane. Interference engine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

The Aveo has a 30k "inspection" and a 60k timing belt replacement interval, which is just loving insane. Interference engine.

60k is pretty standard for timing belts? :confused:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ratbert90 posted:

60k is pretty standard for timing belts? :confused:
Yeah. It's the 100k ones I wouldn't trust.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The :psyduck: part of that is they're still using timing belts in TYOOL 2016.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Yeah. It's the 100k ones I wouldn't trust.

I got a abused to poo poo Subaru legacy with 260,000 miles on it from a friend (who got it from his "friend"). The last service record was at 100,000 miles.

The last oil change was sometime before that.

I replaced all the fluids, belts, and suspension and it works fine. How a completely cracked to poo poo T-Belt lasted over 160,000 miles I will never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

CannonFodder posted:

It's Texas.

Also that is a pro click

Texas, 725 more Pickup/SUV deaths then CA, but CA catches up in regards to pedestrian and bicycle deaths. A very pro click indeed.