Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Surprise release goes against the Paradoxest trick in the marketing book, which is letting streamers play it for the week lead up to release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

zedprime posted:

Surprise release goes against the Paradoxest trick in the marketing book, which is letting streamers play it for the week lead up to release.

Yup. If you want to generate word of mouth, one of the best way is to have people going around telling everyone how mad they are that they can't play "X upcoming super good game" that everyone on youtube seems to be playing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The last weeks before XCOM2 dropped were horrible because of that. Let's dispel this notion that 2K doesn't know what they are doing. They know exactly what they are doing.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Demiurge4 posted:

Edit: What if Paradox and Obsidian are doing a merger?

:holymoley:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/quill18/status/709728183873093632

Somebody mod this :stare:

Also lol I think Quill just broke the news early.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Victoria 3 in the WoD would be retarded. Congrats you invented better Steel, you get +10% Pentex. Your Mage pops are unruly and demand anarchism. Werevolf revolutionaries rise up and take literally arms.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

The Real Foogla posted:

Werevolf revolutionaries rise up and take literally arms.

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

The Real Foogla posted:

Victoria 3 in the WoD would be retarded. Congrats you invented better Steel, you get +10% Pentex. Your Mage pops are unruly and demand anarchism. Werevolf revolutionaries rise up and take literally arms.

I highly doubt the mages would revolt. Aren't they busy bending reality and not caring about the puny problems of mortals in that setting?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Real Foogla posted:

I think you mean Wookies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

I highly doubt the mages would revolt. Aren't they busy bending reality and not caring about the puny problems of mortals in that setting?

No they are literally manipulating mortals into believing science is real, thereby neutering magic because everything supernatural exists simply because people think it does.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I really really want a Culture-novel based 4x from Paradox.

Start as a regular 4x, but find out after colonising your fifth system that actually space is already quite densly populated with advanced species and expanding beyond the pretty border they assign you isn't really an option.

Plot and scheme your way up the civlisation ladder until colonising new planets isn't a thing anymore because your whole society lives on orbital habitats or city-ships.

In the end, balance guiding the younger civilisations that have been put under your wing (and stopping them from sneaking about breaking the rules) with your desire to sublime away and achieve mass godhood.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Demiurge4 posted:

No they are literally manipulating mortals into believing science is real, thereby neutering magic because everything supernatural exists simply because people think it does.

oh my god I just realized they would bring back the Technocracy, YOU could play as them! :psyduck:

although investing research into Iteration X to get cyborg pops or into the NWO for better social engineering (cheat at elections etc.) would be cool

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Alchenar posted:

I really really want a Culture-novel based 4x from Paradox.

Start as a regular 4x, but find out after colonising your fifth system that actually space is already quite densly populated with advanced species and expanding beyond the pretty border they assign you isn't really an option.

Plot and scheme your way up the civlisation ladder until colonising new planets isn't a thing anymore because your whole society lives on orbital habitats or city-ships.

In the end, balance guiding the younger civilisations that have been put under your wing (and stopping them from sneaking about breaking the rules) with your desire to sublime away and achieve mass godhood.

Have you heard of a game called Stellaris

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Have you heard of a game called Stellaris

Yeah as great as I'm sure it will be, Stellaris is still Paradox-spin-on-MoO2.

I want something that's tries to really grapple with the way that going up a civlisation level would fundamentally change what the player's priorities are or even what seems relevant.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Stellaris looks uh, absolutely nothing like Moo2. Unless your basis of comparison is 'is a 4x'. In which case that's even still pushing it.

Alchenar posted:

I want something that's tries to really grapple with the way that going up a civlisation level would fundamentally change what the player's priorities are or even what seems relevant.

And like, this is pretty much a real feature of the game? I mean it just depends on exactly what you're talking about, but the whole structure of the game shifts pretty significantly as you progress. Specifically, as you reach the mid-game and territories have largely been staked out already, things shift towards being more like a Grand Strategy game. Where politics and factions and the like become increasingly more important.

And from what they've said, scenarios should be pretty customizable so if you wanted to start well behind the curve of the rest of the galaxy, you could probably set it up to do so.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 15, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just want to watch some gross nerd like quill play stellaris on YouTube.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Everyone can calm down, the 5pm pacific event will be Obsidian related, which means probably a PoE-style game in the WoD IP.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC8IQfNgmXB/

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Not entirely, I'm sure Obsidian will have a presence but Paradox has been pretty clear that at least Stellaris has something major to be announced, widely speculated to be at least a release date and most optimistically 'surprise it's out now'.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Not entirely, I'm sure Obsidian will have a presence but Paradox has been pretty clear that at least Stellaris has something major to be announced, widely speculated to be at least a release date and most optimistically 'surprise it's out now'.

From the linked instagram message

quote:

We and @obsidian are excited to show off our new project for the first time!

makes it pretty clear that the focus is going to be on Obsidians next game, same goes for this teaser page http://humanresources.paradoxplaza.com/

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Does a federation in Stellaris have a name separate from the names of its member states? If it does, who gets to pick the name?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Screens from the federation dev diary suggest they do have a specific name, but I don't think it was revealed how it's chosen.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Since they have an elected President, I would imagine he would get to pick the name when it's created.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It should be voted on imo and the player should be able to write a custom name.

AD2287: Attempts by the Terran Supremacy and Xaluthian Collective to found a federation fail after the Humans refuse to negotiate their demand that the federation be named the "Goku420 Gaybutts Brigade".

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

No one is seriously thinking the game is going to get a "it's out now!" Statement. That's so not going to happen. Optimistic isn't the word for that kind of hopefulness.

If it's out in the next 4 months I'll be pleased.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Oberleutnant posted:

It should be voted on imo and the player should be able to write a custom name.

AD2287: Attempts by the Terran Supremacy and Xaluthian Collective to found a federation fail after the Humans refuse to negotiate their demand that the federation be named the "Goku420 Gaybutts Brigade".
The Uhuuuturuuu Swarm will vote in favor of your suggested name: +20

Length of name: +20
The letter U (2): +40

The letter I (1): -10
Numbers (3): -30

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Funso Banjo posted:

No one is seriously thinking the game is going to get a "it's out now!" Statement. That's so not going to happen. Optimistic isn't the word for that kind of hopefulness.

If it's out in the next 4 months I'll be pleased.

Let me dream man :(

I know it's probably not, but I do think it will be before May. They said on the PCGamer video that leaked they're polishing and balancing.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I mean, only a fool thinks it will be released this week; Clearly they are going to announce a steam open beta.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Obviously Obsidian is taking over development of Vicky 3.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Can I get a preorder nato counter pack and beta key option?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
https://twitter.com/HOI_Game/status/709729112726872065

Hmm!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Frontspac posted:

You can only find out the truth about Kreia if you go full communist.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jazerus posted:

You can only find out the truth about Kreia if you go full communist.

Kreia is more anarcho-liberal IMO

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Real Foogla posted:

Everything you just said sounds awesome and not retarded.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

The Real Foogla posted:

It would be more like, 'your Mage pops are unruly, firearms no longer work without chanting the fibonacci sequence backwards. All military units -10%.'

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

GaussianCopula posted:

Everyone can calm down, the 5pm pacific event will be Obsidian related, which means probably a PoE-style game in the WoD IP.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BC8IQfNgmXB/

Nope, Paradox facebook explicitly posted that it's not WoD related.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Super Jay Mann posted:

Everything you just said sounds awesome and not retarded.

Yeah I actually started the post in agreement and by the end really wanted that game.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Frontspac posted:

Victoria: New Venice

Are you a bad enough dude to stop Kaiser's Legion?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Victoria: New Venice

Are you a bad enough dude to stop Kaiser's Legion?

I would side with a post-apocalyptic Imperial Germany in a heartbeat.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kavak posted:

I would side with a post-apocalyptic Imperial Germany in a heartbeat.
Issues: Conservatism, Monarchism, Nationalism, Jingoism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Nope, Paradox facebook explicitly posted that it's not WoD related.

HoI4 pre-order cancelled