Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Revenant
Feb 2, 2016

by Lowtax
Gyms re shady hot garbage. I called a gym to ask the price once and a slime ball used car dealer told me to come down for a tour and told me about all the ahit at the gym and literally would t shut up or tell me the price. Ikoined the YMCA because it is better and has better price and is a pillar of the community. Shame the "progressives" made it illegal to call it the Christians association but such is life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/CajzWGi.webm

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
nice tits imo

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

drat he's buff what's his routine?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

JFairfax posted:

is this dude nation of islam or what?
He is an X-Man from the mutant academy.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
well guys I went to the gym with some work people, and I did deadlift 225x5 and even though I said deadlift doesn't bother my knee like the squatting has lately, it did this time. However my friend had his foam roller so i rolled out my quad/IT band out of curiousity and the pain basically went away within a minute or two and has been fine since. does that mean it's likely tightness or some poo poo or even anything at all? I never had these issues beforehand, only when i started lifting again recently.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Tightness for sure. Your muscles just aren't used to moving under pressure like that. (it's nothing to do with strength). Get yourself a foam roller and hit your legs for one to two minutes per muscle group three times a week for a week or two to loosen them up: top, bottom, inside and outside, upper leg and lower leg.

Read up on how to do it right, don't foam roll your joints or your spine, just focus on the muscles.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm aware, I have one and it worked well when I was lifting last year. It's just now that I started up again, I've completely neglected it until the past day or two, which is the reason I suspected that in the first place. I just wasn't sure about it and was worried anyway.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Yeah, I had similar issues, especially right when I came back to lifting after months off and it helped (and continues to help) considerably.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I got home after work last night and fell asleep about 8pm and slept through until 7am. Rest day. This evening some muscles get werked.

Uxzuigal
Jan 16, 2013

Chill Berserker Dude

a starwar betamax posted:

In the past 10 months I've lost around 30 pounds and while most of it is fat I have lost a lot of muscle mass Im basically an shambling tube sock of bones and cartilage at this point and my diet is I eat rice three meals a day and I just eat as much as I can fit in my belly and I do no exersizes except I walk everywhere also I have a torn cartilage in my riight knee and so what are some good exersizes I can do and also should I eat more protein?

Friend of mine is in the same situation, hosed knee, doing lots of upper body stuff, situps and whatever back excercises that wont use the knee much. Work around it :>

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Diamonds posted:

I have no idea what that means

Adductor/abductor machine

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Revenant posted:

Gyms re shady hot garbage. I called a gym to ask the price once and a slime ball used car dealer told me to come down for a tour and told me about all the ahit at the gym and literally would t shut up or tell me the price. Ikoined the YMCA because it is better and has better price and is a pillar of the community. Shame the "progressives" made it illegal to call it the Christians association but such is life

That's not uncommon. Competing gyms will call each, asking for the price of membership/startup fees so that they can undercut each other or make enticing promotions. So many places won't give you all that info over the phone

The Y is still a solid choice in many cases

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Adductor/abductor machine

I've always skipped those machines, they seem like a complete waste of time.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

notZaar posted:

They're decent especially if your knees are tracking funny during squats. Also they build your inner thigh, making your bulge more prominent :mrgw:

Don't make them the focus of your workout obviously but a couple quick sets at the end of leg day isn't a bad idea

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Why do my veins always look blue instead of a nice skin tone like on some dudes?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
thin skinned

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I am not thin skinned you rear end in a top hat gently caress you take that back

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
harsh truths

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Guys guys no fighting in the swole thread, unless it involves oil and harnesses :3:

I'm steadily progressing from the 'intermediate' strength standards on exrx to the 'advanced' and I'm happy!

Except for the overhead press which is still not at intermediate yet. I hate that lift :smith:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

notZaar posted:

thread title :rolleyes:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
had some back and rib issues at the tail end of last year that kept me out of the gym, finally resolved themselves so that I can get back into the gym and start squatting and all that - started from the empty bar, adding 10lbs each time so far and feeling p. drat good, no need to rush the proper weights will come soon enough.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

well guys I went to the gym with some work people, and I did deadlift 225x5 and even though I said deadlift doesn't bother my knee like the squatting has lately, it did this time. However my friend had his foam roller so i rolled out my quad/IT band out of curiousity and the pain basically went away within a minute or two and has been fine since. does that mean it's likely tightness or some poo poo or even anything at all? I never had these issues beforehand, only when i started lifting again recently.

Congrats you fully tore your MCL and relieved the pressure. Now onward to gains!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Haven't lifted in like a week thanks to getting a horrible fever for a few days, looking forward to hitting the gym and being weak as hell now that i'm almost 100% again.
Really gotta hammer some cardio as since quitting Muay Thai my fitness has gone to poo poo I'm struggling through ashort warm-ups at Wrasslin class and can no longer get through a 5k run (I literally never run unless i randomly get the urge but have always been aboe to manage at least 5k without much issue).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Watch my ig and have 20% off rocktape if you want it.

https://instagram.com/p/BC_0SFgJQT6/

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

SpeedyCow posted:

Congrats you fully tore your MCL and relieved the pressure. Now onward to gains!

what

e: if you're loving with me good job, i actually googled that and there's no way. not even 1 symptom fits lol. still going with "tightness, and now 30 years old" for now

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I've got pump so hard in my biceps that I can't bend my arms. Or is that 'can't move send help'? v:v:v

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

what

e: if you're loving with me good job, i actually googled that and there's no way. not even 1 symptom fits lol. still going with "tightness, and now 30 years old" for now

Haha yea I was :haw: I was channeling some bro science

I also have that tightness sometimes. Usually can't even squat past 3/4 on my first empty bar set when it's bad.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If you start taking creatine, don't stop. This is like the revenge of the DOMS, it's awful.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never noticed any real chang while I was munching creatine

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The positive effects of creatine are so insignificant they may as well not even exist.

Now deer antler spray....

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

notZaar posted:

nah dude they are great machines who cares if you look dumb. they close dat thigh gap :henget:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't have a problem with thigh gap, I come from a family blessed with rich hip adipose tissue.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

The positive effects of creatine are so insignificant they may as well not even exist.

Now deer antler spray....
I noticed a significant difference in my lifts after stalling and taking creatine.

And, at the very least, an increase in water weight. <jiggle jiggle>

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Knight posted:

I noticed a significant difference in my lifts after stalling and taking creatine.

And, at the very least, an increase in water weight. <jiggle jiggle>

Yeah it'll make you bloat up a little bit which moves the scale and can lead to increased strength from the ensuing leverage advantage

How much of that leads to actual contractile tissue gains is anybody's guess (probably not much)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is since I stopped taking it my recovery has gone to poo poo, and I haven't made any other major changes in diet or routine.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Hello? Yes. Well I have actual pains and injuries in my body and am hoping the "make gay jokes about the gym" thread can tell me how to fix them. Already tried blowing 9 guys in the sauna. Hoping for new advice. TIA

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

24 hour fitness/LA fitness are totally fine. They have all the freeweight stuff, dbs up to 120, plenty of hammer strength stuff. Plus they'll usually have fine-looking females too

(bolded section) you weren't kidding

so i was actually a little nervous about the gym because i'm scrawny(i mostly have been focusing on cardio for the past 6 months) and i was afraid i'd look out of place with my puny exercises with bad form, but it turns out i'm still probably top 15% of most fit people at the gym i go to lol. half the people on the treadmills were power walking.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 16, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
please don't underestimate the healing properties of cum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

What's a good science food protein that also tastes like a milkshake and will make my buff as heck?

• Locked thread