Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Consider me wrong then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Never attribute to creativity that which may more easily be attributed to spite.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
didanybody read those new Prometheus/Alien/Predator comics? were they any good?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My birthday was today and mom got me a poster "of the entire Justice League" that's actually a bunch of random Marvel characters. It's kind of adorable :3:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Forget Grant Morrison, this is the iconic Justice League.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If we're playing that game: http://nonadventures.com/2016/02/06/final-fantasy/

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm still disappointed he didn't use Hanks' other longest surviving character (a millionaire industrialist vigilante Lumberjack). Oh well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pfft. As if mere Satan can stand against STAR-DUST, THE SUPER WIZARD or FANTOMAH.

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I'm still disappointed he didn't use Hanks' other longest surviving character (a millionaire industrialist vigilante Lumberjack). Oh well.

Tell me more.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Twitter informed me that Rat Queens is trending, and my first thought was "What happened to THIS artist?"

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Yvonmukluk posted:

Pfft. As if mere Satan can stand against STAR-DUST, THE SUPER WIZARD or FANTOMAH.

Tell me more.

Big Red McLane. Out of Fletcher Hanks creations I figure he's the strangest because with Stardust or Fantomah the stakes and situation don't really change that much. Stardust begins a mad alien god and ends a mad alien god. Ditto Fantomah, except she's some kind of demon jungle girl instead. Red starts out a drifter going from log camp to log camp, beating up lumber criminals. Somewhere along the way one of the owners gives him a 50% stake in a lumber company for beating people up. The stories after that follow the same formula, but there's a subtly shift where Red becomes a more establishment figure still beating up lumber criminals. In his last story he wanders away from the whole lumberjack thing to track down an old girlfriend and beats the poo poo out of a boxing champion.He's still clearly a Hanks protagonist but with a subtle, almost Mary Sue-like twist.

The dude that edited those Fantagraphics Hanks collections has a story up on his website.

(And I would be remiss not to point out I'm the guy that does all those Hanks inspired comics and that I've been posting a new edition of my Big Red comic along with a couple others at Super Wizard.net)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Why does this random Batman Beyond mook have a Christopher Walkin voice.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Because they thought the voice actor's Walken impression was funny. I think it's mentioned in the commentary.

On a totally unrelated note, if SA ever allows huge avs, here's a gem of an option from the funny panels thread:

e: What a terrible cropping job. Here's two minutes of effort that turned out better:

You probably want to sharpen it a little if you scale it down.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 17, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Because Michael Rosenbaum can do whatever he wants.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe he also did Deadshot as Kevin Spacey.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

Because they thought the voice actor's Walken impression was funny. I think it's mentioned in the commentary.

On a totally unrelated note, if SA ever allows huge avs, here's a gem of an option from the funny panels thread:

e: What a terrible cropping job. Here's two minutes of effort that turned out better:

You probably want to sharpen it a little if you scale it down.

Is Black Bolt calling Nosferatu a dick?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's not like he's wrong.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Bss help me out. Does anyone have any YouTube clips involcing a superhero movie/recent film that involves someone showing good/bad leadership techniques? It could be a show if there are any strong candidates. Needs to be high school appropriate

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Hurt posted:

Bss help me out. Does anyone have any YouTube clips involcing a superhero movie/recent film that involves someone showing good/bad leadership techniques? It could be a show if there are any strong candidates. Needs to be high school appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFMY99NXOgc

When asking for help, let people know that you will be right there with them!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 17, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m6UKS1L0YQ

Everyone can contribute, even arrow guy and the rage ogre, as long as you can help them recognize their strengths! :newlol:

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

This is exactly the kind of stuff I am looking for. We are having a conversation about leadership in action so I thought they would like having discussions on.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Squizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m6UKS1L0YQ

Everyone can contribute, even arrow guy and the rage ogre, as long as you can help them recognize their strengths! :newlol:

I don't know why but I was having a hard time just randomly searching for this scene. Thank you!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bug75AfNnO8

Always have a rad beard + cape made from a mutant wolf you slew with the katana you forged from a tire iron, also know when to deal with a team member who isn't working out.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Listening and calmly talking things through in the middle of a dangerously escalating situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHHsdE_oQg

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 17, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If it weren't all about a murdercrime team caper, the Task Force X episode of JLU would be full of great examples of things like coming prepared, making sure everyone else is prepared, and adapting to changing circumstances.

I guess any heist film/show should have that, though. I haven't seen it, but does Ant Man have anything like that?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You should just assign an episode of Justice League as homework every class, with a short response paper to discuss the leadership skills shown. Work through the entire series, including JLU. :flashfact:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Just show the scene from The Dark Knight where Lucius keeps his thinking-outside-the-box employee Reese in line by threatening him with a firing and implied violence to keep the trust-fund CEO happy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

If it weren't all about a murdercrime team caper, the Task Force X episode of JLU would be full of great examples of things like coming prepared, making sure everyone else is prepared, and adapting to changing circumstances.

I guess any heist film/show should have that, though. I haven't seen it, but does Ant Man have anything like that?

Ant Man is mostly a sports-training montage. (MONTAGE!)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Ant Man is mostly a sports-training montage. (MONTAGE!)

The most important scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9fqZlo60_8

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqStvc107-M

Your underlings are commodity chattel and you cannot hesitate to end their existence the moment they threaten to inconvenience your goals.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Squizzle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bug75AfNnO8

Always have a rad beard + cape made from a mutant wolf you slew with the katana you forged from a tire iron, also know when to deal with a team member who isn't working out.

I don't know if I want to have to explain who the main man is to my students. Although some of them are pretty well versed in comics.

redbackground posted:

Listening and calmly talking things through in the middle of a dangerously escalating situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHHsdE_oQg

Also compassion and not always going for the easy (kill) solution!

I dunno. I thought the scene where Ant Man had a dance party at the McDonalds was pretty important.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm gonna complain about justice league war. The first big thing that the Justice League does together is punch a bad guy a lot. At first they're all doing different stuff, working on the Mother Box mystery, but that gets dropped pretty quickly so they can all punch the bad guy. They punch him over and over again. They punch him in so many different ways. But then Superman gets captured! Because he's the best at punching, and Batman is the worst. Superman gets captures so he won't show up everyone else, and batman goes to rescue him so he won't be shown up by everyone else.

while they're away, the punching continues, but is ineffective. That's when they come up with a new plan to beat the bad guy. Cut out his loving eyes. This is the plan the superheroes comes up with to save the world. Cut out a dude's loving eyes. And they do, they stab him in the eyes. Yay.

and while I'm on that topic, the superheroes find out that the bad guys are innocent people turned into cyborgs. Not a single one of them even so much as idly wonders if they can be saved. The heroes just continue murdering them, the knowledge that they are killing slaves has zero effect on the behavior of the superheroes.

Also, Cyborg is there. to press the off button. Oh no, he can't get a cell signal, how will this efffec- oh no, he got one, it's fine. Good thing they devoted so much of the running time to Cyborg, no one's favorite hero.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's so dumb I had to double check the wikipedia plot synopsis to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering. Superman getting captured adds literally nothing to the plot, except to delay the ending. It really is just because the entire conflict with the villain is all punching, and Superman is too strong and Batman too weak. So they had to be somewhere else while the punching was going on, and could be brought back when it was time for the movie to end

what a piece of poo poo.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, that was so terrible I feel gypped that like a penny out of my Netflix account went to license that turd. That's gotta be the worst version of Captain Marvel ever, published, unpublished, fan fic even loose plot outlines. Worse than Alan Moore Twilight of the Superheroes sex muppet Captain Marvel. Darkseid is incredibly boring. He could have been any space villain without any changes whatsoever. There is absolutely nothing redeemable about Justice League: War. What a heap of poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In one of the other threads, we were discussing accuracy of (or, more accurately, lack of) our cities as depicted in comics. Here's an example!

This is apparently from Valiant's Book of Death: The Fall of the Harbingers, with this scene I guess taking place in the future, but the artist copied a picture of the Million Man March, down to including buildings that no longer exist (they were the pre-Pentagon Department of War/Defense buildings):

He apparently decided to add some powerlines for no apparent reason. I initially thought he shoved the Lincoln Memorial in there where the WWII Memorial is (the Lincoln is behind or below the camera), but I think it's just indistinct in the photo, since that view would give that memorial plus the flags surrounding the monument.

It's not as egregious as I though at first glance, but still sticks out to me. (I won't comment on the future skyscrapers that can't be built under current law.)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In the city chat, I mentioned that I used to live in Salem, Mass and that it's literally always portrayed inaccurately, but to be fair: who cares? I understand getting smaller places, like Salem, wrong because no one is trying to do an accurate vision of them. You use Salem because you want its pop culture associations (witchcraft, Protestants, shoggoths), not because you care about nautical history or mediocre highway access or w/e. By the same token, I understand getting big, first-tier cities like New York or London wrong, because sometimes you just want the Big Best City valence and don't care about the place itself specifically.

What I don't understand is using any of the bigger, well-known, but not international marquee cities, and getting them wrong. I'm super familiar with Boston (and even more familiar with Cambridge/Somerville, since I also lived there), and have also lived in and around Philadelphia. Neither of those cities get a decent shake in pop media, usually just standing in as "northeastern but not New York". Yeah, there's a need for cities filling that role in fiction, but there are lots of other things you can do with them; and, if you're using them anyway, put at least some sort of local character into them. (DC walks the line, for me, between Iconic City and Real City. Sometimes you just want to say "here's the capital", and sometimes you want to use a mid-Atlantic swamp metropolis.)

I can only imagine what people from Chicago think about portrayals of their bullshit city and its terrible food. Anyway, all of that's not even getting down to places like, idk, St. Louis or Houston or Cleveland or whatever—places that most people don't have any strong idea of except as names on a map. Do they ever get reasonable portrayal? I honestly don't know, but I'm p. sure I can guess.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Not comics but comic TV shows always get my hood completely wrong and call it Central City and Star City.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And if anyone's wondering, yes, it does weird me out a little that every place I've lived is probably within like 40 miles at most of a place D&D superstar Fishmech has lived.

I mean I'm not saying that :fishmech: is the Heroes Reborn universe version of me or something, but

yeah

it's probably true.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's kind of like how I'm the Marvel Apes version of Gavok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And I'm the antimatter Waterhaul.

• Locked thread