Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Edminster posted:

Steam turbine only outputs 32EU/1A and I'm running on insulated tin cable so that should be fine. I've added an overhang in case raining directly adjacent to a machine is what kills it.

Checked NEI and there definitely are a bunch of Antimony Ores in GT:NH, but more importantly Stibnite smelts directly into antimony so now I've a new prospecting target! Time to reinstall that orefinder mod because apparently it got nuked somewhere between updates 'i' and 'm'.

Yeah, Tetrahedrite is an important ore. I suggest going to the nether and digging around in the ceiling, because the overworld generation doesn't create much exposed stone in mountain regions and TF doesn't have terrain high enough to spawn it except in advanced biomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016

Magres posted:

Actual answer, check your chunk boundaries if you're not keeping your base chunkloaded, a lot of the really trash tech mods like GT and IC2 get buggy if the machines get chunkloaded at different times as you come back to your base.

E: This is yet another reason that tech mods that like to have machines explode under certain conditions are stupid.

Agreed about exploding machines being stupid, but IC2 doesn't really do that anymore. Their entire energy system is different now, too. It's more like RF, no explosions from wiring mishaps. They also let you disable that ridiculous wrench requirement in the config.

Rocko, are you still having problems with open blocks or whatever that was you were using to try to add stuff? Unless your trying to script functions for stuff, why not just use Custom Stuff 2? Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1275500-cubex2s-mods-all-mods-available-for-1-7-10

It's no longer updated for 1.7.10 but it's very simple to add blocks/items and do some basic stuff with them.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

And maybe do something about everyone gating everything behind ender pearls. God I hated farming those.

The pack im playing has a lot of stuff gated behind ender pearls. It has a quest to hand in 50 vouchers for 1 seed and 1 ender stone. Ive done it twice. I also found 4 seeds in a dungeon chest (that take ages to grow on grass)

So in all, my game was pretty slow tech wise.

But, then i found a division sigil.

After stuffing up the activation ritual twice (first time i broke the redstone cirlce and couldnt fix it fast enough. 2nd time i killed the mob with a sword >< ) and then it blowing up on the 3rd (I build a plank containment unit for it. Needless to say i spent 2/3rds of the next day putting out fires and rebuilding the unit in order to protect that 1 piece of cursed earth that managed to survive).

But now i have a cursed earth farm that feeds me ender pearls. I think this pack is nearly over :/

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

@Taffer: Another thing to consider is limiting or gating the mining machines so that they are more of an end-game goal instead of "Rush power, then rush mining machine ASAP".

And maybe do something about everyone gating everything behind ender pearls. God I hated farming those.

And also limit or nerf TiCon, at least the materials. Like make up to steel tools and you're good. No more 50+ damage death cannons and give us an excuse to use the weapons/tools introduced by other mods?

I think the former is very much Taffer's plans. He really doesn't like the "ore from nothing" stuff. I mean, technically they're ore from power, but with big reactors power they really are from nothing.* And I'm sure if people actually explored other power production setups there are probably other ways to reasonably power mining lasers.

For the second point, Taffer likes Ender Ore which is pretty cool. Basically you can mind up ore that makes dust that can make ender pearls. It's not exactly common but it does take a lot of weight off of hunting down ender men.

Lastly I'm pretty sure Taffer's mentioned he's thinking pretty hard about taking TiCon out entirely. It does what it does way too well and overshadows literally everything else. Which...is interesting. I haven't played without TiCon for so long I really can't remember what it was like. Might be a bit romantic** to go back to using other mods tools.

*As a side note...as much as I hate to say this about such a wonderful and well coded mod...for the feel you're trying to make you might want to nix Big Reactors Taffer. It's a wonderful mod, but everything you try just pushes back the inevitable. I mean, even with the entire construction gated behind steel I've built a BR + turbine set up on your server in less than a week out of starting from scratch without really breaking a sweat. If you don't want to cut it, I think you're really going to do some mix of both nerfing the ouput AND making the equipment hilariously expensive. Like the point of a BR+Turbine setup would be not to generate a fuckton of power but to merely produce moderate power forever at the cost of being very expensive to set up. Like, using enderium ingots for everything expensive.

**Romantic: It will be interesting for an hour or two and then I'll start begging for Taffer to put TiCon back in.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm already tired of doing playtests by myself. Even quicker than I expected.

I really need to just build myself a Linux server so I can do Solder and hosting properly, for myself. It would certainly make iterative design and playtesting a lot more feasible with a server. It would definitely expose issues and potential solutions a lot faster.

But I just started a new job yesterday so who knows when that'll happen. :v:

@alky I have ideas relating to everything you mentioned. But of course only testing will tell if they're worth anything.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015
Ugh, they need to stop putting things in the lower tiers of the GT: NH quest book that you can't actually make yet. Basic wood cutter is in the LV tier but as far as i know, you can't make the advanced PCBs without MV machinery. Guess I'm making batteries after all since the wood cutter is the only thing that's gated.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 17, 2016

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Alkydere posted:

I think the former is very much Taffer's plans. He really doesn't like the "ore from nothing" stuff. I mean, technically they're ore from power, but with big reactors power they really are from nothing.* And I'm sure if people actually explored other power production setups there are probably other ways to reasonably power mining lasers.

For the second point, Taffer likes Ender Ore which is pretty cool. Basically you can mind up ore that makes dust that can make ender pearls. It's not exactly common but it does take a lot of weight off of hunting down ender men.

Lastly I'm pretty sure Taffer's mentioned he's thinking pretty hard about taking TiCon out entirely. It does what it does way too well and overshadows literally everything else. Which...is interesting. I haven't played without TiCon for so long I really can't remember what it was like. Might be a bit romantic** to go back to using other mods tools.

*As a side note...as much as I hate to say this about such a wonderful and well coded mod...for the feel you're trying to make you might want to nix Big Reactors Taffer. It's a wonderful mod, but everything you try just pushes back the inevitable. I mean, even with the entire construction gated behind steel I've built a BR + turbine set up on your server in less than a week out of starting from scratch without really breaking a sweat. If you don't want to cut it, I think you're really going to do some mix of both nerfing the ouput AND making the equipment hilariously expensive. Like the point of a BR+Turbine setup would be not to generate a fuckton of power but to merely produce moderate power forever at the cost of being very expensive to set up. Like, using enderium ingots for everything expensive.

**Romantic: It will be interesting for an hour or two and then I'll start begging for Taffer to put TiCon back in.

loving lol, quit pretending you have any leg to stand on and just admit you want tedium to the extreme again. Just play GT already, it does what you want without tainting these other actually not poo poo mods.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Playstation 4 posted:

loving lol, quit pretending you have any leg to stand on and just admit you want tedium to the extreme again. Just play GT already, it does what you want without tainting these other actually not poo poo mods.

There's a difference between well-paced and extreme tedium. Stop acting like there's no in-between easy and super-tedium.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Serifina posted:

There's a difference between well-paced and extreme tedium. Stop acting like there's no in-between easy and super-tedium.

If nothing else, GT: New Horzions is a new benchmark for what extreme tedium can be. I don't think it's that unreasonable or difficult to strike a middle ground between it and the disjointed kitchen sink modpacks of the past.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
If you take A Week to make A Big Reactor and that's too fast then I'm pretty sure you want extreme tedium.

It's like me trying to extend my fifth Morrowind playthrough by never running or using fast travel. If your enjoyment depends on drawing out things you've done multiple times before to make doing those things again take 1000% longer, maybe consider doing something different? Or don't, I guess.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mensrea posted:

Rocko, are you still having problems with open blocks or whatever that was you were using to try to add stuff? Unless your trying to script functions for stuff, why not just use Custom Stuff 2? Link: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1275500-cubex2s-mods-all-mods-available-for-1-7-10
My problem with OpenBlocks was a block ID conflict with Thermal Dynamics. My theory is that Thermal Dynamics grabs block IDs on boot and missed something when they got translated. I wouldn't be surprised if an old save or something would have had the same problem. The interaction with OpenBlock was that it thought a block that turned out to be a paint can was an item duct.

Alkydere posted:

A cute thing would be to disable the reactor blocks and keep the turbine blocks. I think I still am too caught up on how neat I think it is to connect MFR steam boilers to one, so take that however you want.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Black Pants posted:

If you take A Week to make A Big Reactor and that's too fast then I'm pretty sure you want extreme tedium.

Extreme tedium is being a week in and still using charcoal for power. Not even kidding.

EDIT: If you connect two battery buffers in series with two batteries each in them, does the current stay at 2 amps?

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 17, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A cute thing would be to disable the reactor blocks and keep the turbine blocks. I think I still am too caught up on how neat I think it is to connect MFR steam boilers to one, so take that however you want.

I actually did this previously. I powered a base with TE steam dynamos powered via factorization solar boilers. :suicide:

An absurd number of stacks of silver later it produced piss all steam, but I did it! The real problem was actually the fact that since it was solar-powered steam it only produced during the day. Using a few drums as a steam buffer did wonders for that issue though.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 17, 2016

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Alkydere posted:

I actually did this previously. I powered a base with TE steam dynamos powered via factorization solar boilers. :suicide:

An absurd number of stacks of silver later it produced piss all steam, but I did it! The real problem was actually the fact that since it was solar-powered steam it only produced during the day. Using a few drums as a steam buffer did wonders for that issue though.

I remember that thing. "Absurd" isn't the word - largely because Factorization uses a stupidly high amount of silver to make each of those idiotic mirrors. You were trying to get silver from everyone for most of a month.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I like this idea too, and always wondered how good it would be.

CoreDuo posted:

Extreme tedium is being a week in and still using charcoal for power. Not even kidding.

EDIT: If you connect two battery buffers in series with two batteries each in them, does the current stay at 2 amps?

Battery buffers emit using all batteries at once, but input rate has no influence on output rate. So yes, 2 amps. If it was in parallel, that would be 4 amps.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

CoreDuo posted:

That isn't even Extreme Tedium™, that's just loving insanity.

This whole argument kind of misses the point that Black Pants already made, the whole thing you are doing is literally the same thing but made longer. You aren't creating any new worthwhile gameplay or social aspect to speak of, you're just making a bigger skinnerbox.

You can call OMP or Modderation or Disasterpiece 'disjointed' all you want, and yeah especially in my case I'm kind of scatterbrained in how I put these together. But the one thing we all seem to realize that's passing you by is that the actual thing people play this for is the systemic workings, finding loopholes or interesting quirks, or above all else poo poo That Looks Cool.

There is 0 point to artificially extending that poo poo because in my and other's opinions, if you're not having fun doing that anymore, well, you've gotten out of that game what is worth getting. Making you go through a million steps to reach this in an effort to literally patronize your players by saying they skipped the stuff they didn't like too quick is honestly pretty goddamn loving stupid.

But hey, continue to speak about NH being silly while literally making "NH but better because we're too smart to make that".

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CoreDuo posted:

I went a massively different direction, which is fine because I don't know if it'll pay off. I've been using two high pressure coal boilers for a long time and I just added a third as a backup generator in case the turbine runs out of steam. I held off on making MV stuff for now and have instead replaced all my remaining bronze machines with LV electric ones and have been working my way towards a Steve's Carts tree farm. I've made the cart assembler and a cargo manager so far. I can also build sprinklers and potentially a lamp of growth to speed up tree growth, though I haven't yet looked at what horrors lurk within the Thaumcraft tech tree in GT: NH. My rationale is that I'd need more reliable power generation if I had any plans of transitioning to solar without having to wait for batteries to recharge due to the EBF's energy consumption.
I've gone through a number of directions so far, but my basic power outline evolved like this:

First I had just simple boilers attached to steam machines directly. This got upgraded over time with more machines and a total of 2 small boilers + 1 high pressure.
On reaching LV electric machines, a turbine bridged the output, and translated to the new machines. So basically the boilers fed to the electric system as well as the local steam system. So far, really simple stuff.
Once I got a metal bender and an assembler I was able to very cheaply produce railcraft fluid tank parts, and established that as a buffer between the two systems, with my steam turbine directly opposite the input. So boilers fed a local system as well as a tank, and the tank acted like a storage battery to feed the turbine, which supplied live power as needed to the LV machines. Again, fairly standard, but having a tank of steam to draw on during leaner times or extended processes meant I could suddenly make a whole stack of rods/plates/whatever at a time, and leave the tank draining.

The next big change came when adding an Electric Blast Furnace and battery buffer to feed it. To start, the buffer was very near the EBF's two energy input ports, and feeding two large tin cables with 8 batteries meant that, as long as the batteries had time to charge beforehand, I could provide sufficient voltage to run the EBF for aluminum. Right now the battery buffer is hooked up exclusively to output to the EBF. Unfortunately I put the cart a bit before the horse here because I didn't have the other infrastructure to support moving to MV yet. Still, getting some aluminum means I can make my first wand and get into Thaumcraft now, as well as making a Hang Glider from openblocks, which is ridiculously good for getting around over long distances and exploring, and I would definitely recommend hitting early, especially for navigating the nether/Twilight Forest, since it also means bypassing fall damage. Another bright side of all this is that the EBF can make steel much, much faster than a bronze blast furnace. It takes a lot of prep: you have to craft iron ingots down to nuggets, smelt them to wrought iron, then compress them back to ingots. Then you need to macerate glass to dust, centrifuge it, and finally electrolyze it and feed it into the EBF as oxygen gas. This isn't as bad as it sounds, because it's all parallel action you can have running simultaneously, for the most part, as a production line. Once you do all that, though, you can turn 1 wrought iron ingot into 1 steel in five seconds. It also takes only one tenth as much power as normal iron to steel would.

My most recent step has been to replace all my power input (the three boilers, 1 high pressure) with a large high pressure railtank boiler. After reading about the large GT boiler which consumes 1 charcoal a second I was putting it off, but then I realized that regular railcraft multiblock boilers hadn't been removed. They're fairly cheap, especially if you have the machines to facilitate their construction (mostly assemblers, benders, and lathes), so I threw together a 2x2x2 boiler on top of a 2x2 of solid fueled fireboxes.
The new production is absolutely insane. The whole thing makes 1,000 mB steam per 'process', and the hotter it gets, the more often that happens. Even when first warming up, at its slowest, it's about once per second, doing the work of many high pressure boilers in a more convenient form. With this running I can basically produce steam faster than I can use it (which is probably a sign I need more turbines). The real downside is that this thing eats charcoal faster than my 4 coke ovens can make it. But I've also got a self-repairing axe and found that planting 2x2 dark oak saplings always makes huge trees with minimal canopies and no branches but a huge central trunk, perfect for wood farming. I intend to automate this soon, but I've started just using plain wood planks as fuel to keep up. Sometimes I'll let the boiler run down a bit just because I'm not using the power/steam and it's going to waste.
I guess my next guess would be to replace the steam tank with a battery buffer and move entirely to electric power, removing my last remaining steam-powered machines with LV equivalents and using the electric battery buffer to store electric power instead of a tank to store steam-for-power. I need to catch my power generation and fuel production up to my steam production now, so I can reach a good pace of sustainability here. Then I've got fast steel, easy power, and plentiful, fast resource processing.

This is big though: Thaumcraft is huge and expansive and offers all kinds of options that really compliment this progression. Stuff like Automagy is still weird over-complicated garbage for the most part, but then you've got stuff like Thaumic Bases and Horizons which offer lots of new solutions. For instance, alchemy now lets you transmute into basically any core metal, so if you've got the essentia for it, you can just alchemize some battery alloy, or nickel, or aluminum, or bauxite, or almost loving anything. Metal transmutation is pretty big now, especially for rarer stuff, or to put to use metals you don't really need but have lots of. And hey, in terms of fuel, if you can get a good source of the essentia for it, Alumentum is twice as effective a fuel as coal coke (and 4x charcoal), and can be made from lignite or even charcoal. There's also a very simple and accessible recipe to alchemically duplicate charcoal, and that's instant. So again, essentia can help solve both fuel and material concerns.
And even though I don't imagine it'll be that useful because of how big these ore deposits are, there are things you can create like crops that drop iron nuggets or even gold instead of wheat, trees that constantly spawn passive animals (or nether mobs, or ender mobs, and even transmute the ground under them to blocks of their respective dimension, for free), and hell, even things that help your basic Thaumcraft progress, like plants that you can grow for Auram essentia, enhanced deconstruction tables that work on mobs, and a way to force one node to completely cannibalize another to make the perfect uber-node.
So if you're playing this, definitely check out Thaumcraft pretty early on. I might recommend easy mode research though, especially with all the new ways to gain research points.
Some of these enchantments are pretty incredible too.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
On the subject of Gregtech, I thought I'd outline how ore processing works:
A basic setup is just a macerator and forge hammer. You macerate into Crushed Ore which you hammer into Impure Dust, which you then either dump in a filled cauldron to clean or smelt it directly. This misses out on byproducts, however.

The first machine to make to gain access to byproducts is the Centrifuge, which allows you to get the first byproduct (in tiny dust form) by centrifuging Impure Dust.
The second machine would be the Ore Washer, which processes Crushed Ore. This results in Purified Ore and the first byproduct. Purified Ore hammers into Purified Dust (which is not really pure) which you can put into the centrifuge to get the second byproduct.
The third machine could be the Thermal Centrifuge but it's pointless unless you have the HV version of the macerator, which is now called a Pulverizer. Now you've REALLY got some choices to make:

Let's say you want the third byproduct. To get it, you need to first macerate or pulverize the base ore. Pulverizing it gives you the first byproduct in addition to Crushed Ore, so you really should do that. The Crushed Ore can then be purified via the Ore Washer, giving you the first byproduct again. The Purified Ore must then be put through the Thermal Centrifuge, giving you the second byproduct and some Centrifuged Ore. The Centrifuged Ore then gets put back in the Pulverizer, finally giving you the third byproduct and some clean dust. Total byproducts: 2x first, 1x second, 1x third. The Ore Washing step is optional- you can put crushed ore in the Thermal Centrifuge and still get the second byproduct and centrifuged ore.

What if you want the second byproduct more than the third, though? Well, once you have the Purified Ore, you can put THAT in the pulverizer to get Purified Dust and the second byproduct. Purified Dust, of course, goes in the regular centrifuge to get the second byproduct again. Doing this trades the third byproduct for a second instance of the second byproduct. Total byproducts: 2x first, 2x second.

Is the first byproduct better than the rest? Well! Take Crushed Ore and put that right back into the pulverizer, giving you Impure Dust and the first byproduct again. Impure dust goes in the centrifuge, and you get a third instance of the first byproduct. Total byproducts: 3x first.

Another advanced machine is the Chemical Washer, which fits where the Ore Washer is in the tree, except by treating ore with something other than water you can drastically change what/how much byproduct is produced while purifying the ore.
An Electromagnetic Separator works on magnetite and probably a few other ores, giving you more byproducts per ore. I haven't looked into how it works as closely, it might only work on Purified and Impure dusts, which means it replaces the regular Centrifuge step.
The Electrolyzer can be used to further process clean dusts into their component elements, and in fact must be used on a few things to get anything of worth out of them. This isn't always worth it in my opinion.

Anyway I think gregtech's ore processing is the best part of the mod and I really wish there was another mod that had a system with as much flexibility. On the other hand in order to have that many tradeoffs you need a whole shitload of resource types and reasons to use those resources. So I doubt any reasonable facsimile will pop up.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 17, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Playstation 4 posted:

This whole argument kind of misses the point that Black Pants already made, the whole thing you are doing is literally the same thing but made longer. You aren't creating any new worthwhile gameplay or social aspect to speak of, you're just making a bigger skinnerbox.

Actually, the whole point is making new worthwhile gameplay and social value, through multiple avenues. First and most obviously, when kitchen sink modpacks are largely unmodified, you can just zip through your most familiar mod route and go to "end-game" without experiencing the breadth of gameplay that the mods in the pack actually offer - and this is definitely a thing that happens, because I've seen it over and over on my own servers, and I myself have done it in other packs. It's easy to stick to what you know, even if in the end you'd have a lot more fun exploring and learning other mods and ways of doing things. But if you alter pacing and progression well enough, it forces players to take a slightly more winding route, touching mods and tools they most likely would have otherwise ignored. For example, IE. It's an insanely cool mod with a very unique aesthetic and way of doing things, that's much more impactful and satisfying - but it takes more effort and it's more expensive. You have to craft a bunch of components and put them together in the right way like a puzzle, and you have to plan out where things go because they're large machines that are difficult to move - and the alternative machine is just a 1x1 box you can put wherever. So almost nobody is going to explore the gameplay of IE except maybe as an afterthought when they've already gone post-scarcity with everything.

Secondly, requiring a broader range of resources and tasks for progression slows down the game enough that people are more willing to work together. Whether that's actually building together and sharing everything, or just trading resources and sharing certain tasks. It also slows it down enough that there's more value to stopping to make your home area prettier, building structures to house your projects, and building roads between locations. If everyone can zip through and make a teleporter after 4 hours of playing, far fewer people are going to be collaborative and creative in that way.

Of course, this isn't a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. Some people will make building nice houses and roads and collaborative projects a priority no matter what. Some people will explore all the mods thoroughly and take their time no matter what. MC is a sandbox after all, and everyone plays it differently. But changes like these help to make a more fun community and gameplay experience on a server.

Again, I'm not trying to create GT:NH or anything remotely like that. I'm not trying to inject tedium and frustration into every step of a process. I'm not trying to make a wooden door require 5 tiers of tech progression and hours of mining to make. I've been very specifically wanting to avoid that trap from before I even started this project. I'm just trying to slow things down and alter the required steps to make the path of progression a little more broad and trying to make specific changes that will make the best and most fun server environment.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

Playstation 4 posted:

Your whole argument misses the point that this goddamn Minecraft and everyone plays it differently and that your opinion isn't objective fact. It's easier than ever to play a different modpack if you don't like it. With MineTweaker and HQM being popular there will continue to be wide variation in what people consider acceptable and it's up to you to figure out what that is. And yeah, it'll often be doing different things with the same mods because tweaking mods is far easier than developing new mods to do things that nobody else has already.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 17, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

Again, I'm not trying to create GT:NH or anything remotely like that. I'm not trying to inject tedium and frustration into every step of a process. I'm not trying to make a wooden door require 5 tiers of tech progression and hours of mining to make. I've been very specifically wanting to avoid that trap from before I even started this project. I'm just trying to slow things down and alter the required steps to make the path of progression a little more broad and trying to make specific changes that will make the best and most fun server environment.
Are you trying to put everything in generally and then specifically serialize them so the player has to touch on all of them? You might go nuts. I'm not doing that kind of thing in BFSR, but I can probably comment on the unit cost of doing it because I have to write a lot of quests about lots of things as a matter of providing these little tutorial pieces. My last count in the 2.0 beta has me at something like 280 quests. I have not finished typing their text; I just set up the spots for them in the edit book and I started drawing some dependencies. I usually end up having to add more as intermediates. So I'm inferring that you might be touching 200+ different things through recipe/configuration/whatever modifications if you're trying to draw out a progression with otherwise parallel technical packs. I go to that by coarsely subtracting out the vanilla stuff and the Tinker's Construct stuff. Maybe the Nether too. I'm left with the power generation, the basic RF machines, storage, quality-of-life, AE2, teleportation stuff, making things pretty, and some of the steps towards post-scarcity.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you trying to put everything in generally and then specifically serialize them so the player has to touch on all of them? You might go nuts. I'm not doing that kind of thing in BFSR, but I can probably comment on the unit cost of doing it because I have to write a lot of quests about lots of things as a matter of providing these little tutorial pieces. My last count in the 2.0 beta has me at something like 280 quests. I have not finished typing their text; I just set up the spots for them in the edit book and I started drawing some dependencies. I usually end up having to add more as intermediates. So I'm inferring that you might be touching 200+ different things through recipe/configuration/whatever modifications if you're trying to draw out a progression with otherwise parallel technical packs. I go to that by coarsely subtracting out the vanilla stuff and the Tinker's Construct stuff. Maybe the Nether too. I'm left with the power generation, the basic RF machines, storage, quality-of-life, AE2, teleportation stuff, making things pretty, and some of the steps towards post-scarcity.

Not quite that extreme. I'm going pretty hard into the early-game because each mod naturally includes its own entry-points that are independent from other mods. Beyond that I'm going to try to add specific cross-mod gates that require you to finish a step in one place before you can go deep down a certain path. I.E. currently I require a certain step to be finished in IE before you can go deep into botania. I'm not going to force the player to fullfill every step in every mod, because that's simply ludicrous, but I am going to force them through a few certain steps early on that require at least dipping their toes into almost everything, making the range of progression past first-steps a little wider.

I'm also going to be adding simple cost to a lot of recipes, independent of the idea of gating stuff. I like a little investment in resource gathering with how I make packs, for a few different reasons, but I know everyone doesn't agree with how that goes. Nothing too absurd though, with the possible exception of very-late game stuff. (laser drills, giant turbines, etc)

Right now I'm not including HQM, normally I don't need to because Progress is usually aimed at people who are already familiar with modded MC, and if they aren't, people on the server are always there to lend help (it's also aimed specifically at a server environment. Though if I keep making heavy alterations to the path of progression I might have to get HQM, simply to explain how things have changed.

But yeah the changes are getting pretty extensive. I already have changed 100+ recipes plus plenty of QOL things like an expanded oredict.

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

McFrugal posted:

Battery buffers emit using all batteries at once, but input rate has no influence on output rate. So yes, 2 amps. If it was in parallel, that would be 4 amps.

So what you're saying is I could cascade battery buffers so that one buffer with 4 batteries outputting 4 amps can go into another battery buffer with two batteries that outputs two amps? That's assuming the information on FTB is correct and its input limit is double that of its output limit. I'm only considering it because there was nothing explicit about the 2 amp limit on the EBF energy hatches and whether it explodes or just drops the extra current.

My new plan is to get enough aluminium ingots out of the EBF on the LV supply to make an MV battery buffer and transformer so that the EBF can be moved to an MV supply where it will be connected to larger batteries that sustain a greater amount of aluminium production. Then I'll make the two machines needed to craft the Steve's Carts wood cutter and I'll finally be on my way to automatic charcoal production. Also, I can use rubber trees in the farm so that I get fuel and a source for the seemingly endless amount of rubber needed.

CoreDuo fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 17, 2016

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Big reactors is a wonderfully put together mod, but it ends up being the only endgame power worth pursuing. Maybe Taffer could severely lower the amount of yellorite ore that spawns, or nerf the output to make other generation more competitive?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Bluemillion posted:

Big reactors is a wonderfully put together mod, but it ends up being the only endgame power worth pursuing. Maybe Taffer could severely lower the amount of yellorite ore that spawns, or nerf the output to make other generation more competitive?

Nerfing the output isn't that great an idea, because what will likely happen is the players (myself included) would just build MORE of them to compensate.

As an alternative, maybe a combination of making the fuel ore rarer, and also increasing the steps needed to refine it into actual fuel. EIO would be a great way to do that, make it so you have to combine yellorite powder and some other bits and pieces into an alloy furnace to get fuel.

And to compensate, maybe take out the yellorite bar requirement from the recipes for building the reactor. It was always kind of weird that you have to use nuclear fuel to make the reactor.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
As a nuclear engineer, the fact that you need yellorite to make the reactor housing has always made me groan. A lot.

If you're including any mods that involve steel, make the reactor housing take steel, please. Actual reactor pressure vessels are almost entirely made out of a couple varieties of steel (stainless 304 and carbon steel, mostly), and steel in game is high up enough most tech trees that it would be an appropriate gating of the huge amounts of RF a good Big Reactor can pump out, as well as some cross-mod intersectioning. It's a good way to solve a few problems at once, and to stop having goddamned uranium in your reactor vessel. Just straight up swap out yellorite ingots for steel ingots and problem solved.

E: Dorky as hell request, if anyone ever hears about someone trying to make a fairly realistic Nuclear Power mod please, please try to get me in touch with them. I love my profession and I would be happy to consult on like science and engineering stuff.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 17, 2016

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Magres posted:

E: Dorky as hell request, if anyone ever hears about someone trying to make a fairly realistic Nuclear Power mod please, please try to get me in touch with them. I love my profession and I would be happy to consult on like science and engineering stuff.

There is Reika's Reactorcraft. Which has a fusion reactor which took the mod author 43 minutes to build in creative mode.

Also Nuclearcraft which is a bit more realistic than Big Reactors but fun instead of spergy like Reika's mods.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magres posted:

As a nuclear engineer, the fact that you need yellorite to make the reactor housing has always made me groan. A lot.

To be fair, this is mostly a concession to the fact that it's a lot easier to make a recipe unique when it features a resource from your mod. In Minecraft, recipes have to match to one output, so if you're making a thing that uses only vanilla materials, you run the risk of a potential conflict with another mod.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

To be fair, this is mostly a concession to the fact that it's a lot easier to make a recipe unique when it features a resource from your mod. In Minecraft, recipes have to match to one output, so if you're making a thing that uses only vanilla materials, you run the risk of a potential conflict with another mod.

Realism perspective, I'd just make it be Iron. But not the end of the world, and in a vacuum w/ no other mods I totally get the decision. It just makes me grumble :cheeky:

bigperm posted:

There is Reika's Reactorcraft. Which has a fusion reactor which took the mod author 43 minutes to build in creative mode.

Also Nuclearcraft which is a bit more realistic than Big Reactors but fun instead of spergy like Reika's mods.

There's no such thing as a realistic fusion reactor you can use to generate power :colbert: :spergin:

(Also oh dear god they're actually putting together a Tokamak design that's horrifying. And also cool as hell)

Nuclearcraft looks fun though!

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 17, 2016

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf
The nuclear reactors from Universal Electricity (or whatever? I can't remember the name) were pretty cool, but they never seemed to work quite right.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Nerfing the output isn't that great an idea, because what will likely happen is the players (myself included) would just build MORE of them to compensate.

As an alternative, maybe a combination of making the fuel ore rarer, and also increasing the steps needed to refine it into actual fuel. EIO would be a great way to do that, make it so you have to combine yellorite powder and some other bits and pieces into an alloy furnace to get fuel.

And to compensate, maybe take out the yellorite bar requirement from the recipes for building the reactor. It was always kind of weird that you have to use nuclear fuel to make the reactor.

Taffer has a soft spot for Factorization, right?

Nerf yellorite by making it rare and the only way to process it is by doing the full factorization process to get crystals. :unsmigghh: The 5x output solves the rareness and going through the entire FZ process scares off everyone remotely sane (or drives them mad).

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Hair Elf

Alkydere posted:

Taffer has a soft spot for Factorization, right?

Nerf yellorite by making it rare and the only way to process it is by doing the full factorization process to get crystals. :unsmigghh: The 5x output solves the rareness and going through the entire FZ process scares off everyone remotely sane (or drives them mad).

That sounds like a hell of an idea. Can you customize factorization recipes like you can EIO? I suggested the alloy furnace because adding new recipes is a cinch for that mod.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

That sounds like a hell of an idea. Can you customize factorization recipes like you can EIO? I suggested the alloy furnace because adding new recipes is a cinch for that mod.

Most likely? Though I'm not a mod author so I wouldn't know for sure.

Though...have you looked at the Factorization process before? If not I don't think you truly understand the depths of madness I am suggesting.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Most likely? Though I'm not a mod author so I wouldn't know for sure.

Though...have you looked at the Factorization process before? If not I don't think you truly understand the depths of madness I am suggesting.

Is that the mod with the giant loving laggy and expensive brine towers that you have to mass produce and place in the desert to get any brine from it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SugarAddict posted:

Is that the mod with the giant loving laggy and expensive brine towers that you have to mass produce and place in the desert to get any brine from it?

no that is mekanism

factorization was the mod everyone included for barrels but never used anything else from it

it contains a 5x ore multiplying stack that involves cooking, washing, and finally melting ore in an acid bath and letting the crystals SLOWLY materialize

it also contains a really strange method of automation that is basically a turing complete machine language (only barely)

CoreDuo
Mar 20, 2015

bigperm posted:

What the gently caress.

Here's a time stamp for those that want to skip to the final product.

mensrea
Mar 17, 2016
A lot of the really complicated tech mods wouldn't be so bad if crafting didn't necessarily involve dragging and dropping things onto a 3x3 grid. It was a long time ago, but I remember a mod that added a crafting bench that didn't require that tedium. Basically, the mod's bench looked at what you had in your inventory and showed on a GUI all the things you could make with it. Then, all you did was click on the thing and get it, no dragging and dropping.

Sadly, it was very buggy, caused lots of crashes and had a duping exploit. drat though, would really like to see another mod like that.

Is Reika still using over the top, unnecessarily complicated models to simulate everything? Oh, and doing that thing where you can't use minetweaker to change any of his recipes?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

no that is mekanism

factorization was the mod everyone included for barrels but never used anything else from it

it contains a 5x ore multiplying stack that involves cooking, washing, and finally melting ore in an acid bath and letting the crystals SLOWLY materialize

it also contains a really strange method of automation that is basically a turing complete machine language (only barely)

I use it for more than barrels. :colbert:

I maintain that it's a cool mod, albeit with some strange things mixed in.

mensrea posted:

A lot of the really complicated tech mods wouldn't be so bad if crafting didn't necessarily involve dragging and dropping things onto a 3x3 grid.

Do you know about the NEI [?]. No drag and drop required, though you do still have to craft each item individually.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 17, 2016

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

mensrea posted:

A lot of the really complicated tech mods wouldn't be so bad if crafting didn't necessarily involve dragging and dropping things onto a 3x3 grid. It was a long time ago, but I remember a mod that added a crafting bench that didn't require that tedium. Basically, the mod's bench looked at what you had in your inventory and showed on a GUI all the things you could make with it. Then, all you did was click on the thing and get it, no dragging and dropping.

AE2 crafting terminal + NEI + shift-clicking on the show-recipe-in-grid (?) button, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Magres posted:

There's no such thing as a realistic fusion reactor you can use to generate power :colbert: :spergin:

The Tokamak isn't the only thing in Reactorcraft. There's a couple different designs for fission reactors in there too (haven't really messed with the mod, so further knowledge on my end is limited).