Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hoops posted:

How could the W&P secretary be so outraged as to resign two days after the budget was announced? He would have been going over this with exchequer for weeks and must have signed off on it. I don't get the angle here, what is he trying to show by quitting?

Again the budget is written by george alone in a room with a big pile of cocaine, there is no consultation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure how I feel about this, good that he's gone I guess but I dunno if it's going to put much of a dent in anything.

I'm worried it's put the knife so far into Gideon that the only possible conclusion is Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Hoops posted:

How could the W&P secretary be so outraged as to resign two days after the budget was announced? He would have been going over this with exchequer for weeks and must have signed off on it. I don't get the angle here, what is he trying to show by quitting?

It's pretty clear this is not about the budget but doing as much damage to Osborne as possible. He's pinning his colours to Boris Johnson.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hoops posted:

he's just lost a FOI court battle into universal credit so was probably on his way out anyway so went out with a bang to gently caress over osborne

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

I'm worried it's put the knife so far into Gideon that the only possible conclusion is Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

My hope is that being on the losing side of the EU referendum will damage his chances, although there's every chance it does the opposite. He's been a loving awful Mayor of London by most accounts whenever he wasn't being a lazy prick.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Hoops posted:

because it took this long to get good polling data, and quelle surprise, not even all tories like openly telling cripples to starve. He wants to show he doesn't support this, despite being the guy that has repeatedly ignored expert information on welfare reform in favour of unworkable shite. From this he looks good and osborne bad. If he doesn't resign after realising he's effectively signed off on his career, he gets to have his welfare reform budgeting skills dragged into a parliamentary vote on the budget and has a good chance of losing.

He knows he's hosed and he's doing the (relatively) clever thing of jumping before the push.

The fact that Osborne and IDS are on different sides of the referendum split might play into it, but its not going to be more complicated than him realising he's done.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
He's leaving as his stock of virgin blood will be vastly reduced soon due to the cuts.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Further goes to show what a stupid move it was for Cameron to announce he wouldn't be PM after 2020, it's not even a year since the last election and the power struggles are already doing significant damage to the party. It might have given Cameron a slight boost before the election but it's sown seeds that are going to cause a lot more damage to the party in the even-only-slightly-longer run, it's endemic of the short-term thinking of modern conservativism.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I doubt he'll do a loving thing tbh. Probably mumble something a bit vague.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/710953041185415168

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Yeah that'll work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm with Corbyn on this one.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

This is bad news for Jeremy Corbyn.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Jose posted:

he's just lost a FOI court battle into universal credit so was probably on his way out anyway so went out with a bang to gently caress over osborne
Ah okay, I didn't hear about that, seems like the piece of the puzzle I was missing.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thespaceinvader posted:

Isn't it funny that this leaked relatively gently at 9 on a Friday night and not, say, on live national television half an hour before PMQs?

(No)

Leaked?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hahahaha I like poo poo stirrer corbyn.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah that'll work.

Full statement from Corbyn.

Blood in the water.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hoops posted:

Ah okay, I didn't hear about that, seems like the piece of the puzzle I was missing.

i posted a link on the last page but i guess its either come out at almost the same time or just hasn't received much widespread press

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I can't helping thinking this is a power play for IDS himself, not Boris. He now gets to say "See, I was the good guy all the time!", then if the Leave mob win and Cameron is forced to resign, he can put himself forward to replace him and march straight into Number 10. Sure, everyone outside Westminster hates him, but this is a party where Michael loving Gove is considered a credible future leader.

He was Tory leader once. They will bow to him again. Oh yes. They will bow to him again.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gonzo McFee posted:

Blood in the water.

the "failure" thing is catchy but I'm pretty sure negative reinforcement doesn't win elections

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Blood in the water.

Failed to capitalise 'Osborne'. If Jeremy Corbyn can't be trusted to maintain proper style in writing, how can he be trusted to run the country?

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Gonzo McFee posted:

Blood in the water.

Problem: Nothing IDS does could be called 'honorable'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/710957158775578624

I like that Jeremy Corbyn is just getting stuck in while the wounds are fresh.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

lmao from the beeb:

quote:

Mr Duncan Smith was praised by Tory MP and fellow Brexit campaigner Peter Bone, who told the BBC: "Iain's always been a man of principle and conviction and he only took on the job because he passionately believed in social justice and he was doing a tremendous job in reforming it.

e; I highlight that not because it's untrue, but because it is completely true. IDS has a strong principle of harvesting the bones of the poor, and is deeply convinced that arbeit macht frei. That he's willing to temporarily put those on the backburner to knife Gideon is no surprise, but drat if it isn't already proving an effective dagger.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IDS certainly was doing a very passionate job of reforming the concept of social justice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

My hope is that being on the losing side of the EU referendum will damage his chances, although there's every chance it does the opposite. He's been a loving awful Mayor of London by most accounts whenever he wasn't being a lazy prick.

Care to elaborate on this? I never got a very clear overview of BoJo's time as mayor.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Noxville posted:

Failed to capitalise 'Osborne'.

And "Smith". I guess it shows that there's only a small team around Corbyn, and late on a Friday would have been a bad time to get a full-spectrum response going even in the Alistair Campbell years. Corbyn really does need someone a bit more attuned to the pace of modern media than Seamus Milne though.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Noxville posted:

This is bad news for Jeremy Corbyn.

Brutal stuff

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

TheHoodedClaw posted:

And "Smith". I guess it shows that there's only a small team around Corbyn, and late on a Friday would have been a bad time to get a full-spectrum response going even in the Alistair Campbell years. Corbyn really does need someone a bit more attuned to the pace of modern media than Seamus Milne though.

Seamus Milne is fine, the problem is the crusties they have making crappy MS paint graphics. They just need to record what's happening whenever there's a semi-major event and tweet on a semi-regular basis.

Nothing revolutionary, just get the "Jeremy Corbyn For PM" people on the team.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he needs to hire donald trumps communications director

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/NadineDorriesMP/status/710940907923750912

The fact that this "cuts gone too far" shite had been instantly seen through is amazing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Care to elaborate on this? I never got a very clear overview of BoJo's time as mayor.

I'm not the person to ask but basically he's very lazy, gets everyone else to do his work while he waffles around doing stupid things, takes credit for things he has no part in and anything he does take a personal interest in, ie the bridge paid for by tax payers and closed to the public, is a complete embarrassment.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/710957158775578624

I like that Jeremy Corbyn is just getting stuck in while the wounds are fresh.
I think this is the latest in a string of unforgivable failures of Corbyn's leadership.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Twisting the knife in is wrong at a time when Tory infighting is still on going.

RobotNinjaHornets
Dec 30, 2012
He's posted the same thing on Facebook, but with this picture which is cracking me up

That loving dead stare

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

He's posted the same thing on Facebook, but with this picture which is cracking me up

That loving dead stare

Mmm yeah...that....stare....*eyes remain glued to the right of the photo*

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RobotNinjaHornets posted:

That loving dead stare

Do you love me now mummy? Are you proud of me?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He looks like he just shat himself.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Corbyn. He is alright.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Nonsense posted:

Corbyn. He is alright.

He's bad.