Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I love the way this show is shot and it adds a ton to every scene. The blue and yellow stairwell is great, and this ep wasn't the first time we saw it but the whole episode was full of those colors, even more than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Supercar Gautier posted:

Do you think Hamlin has ever watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate?

Actually Chuck does whenever electromagnetism interferes with his circuits

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

beep by grandpa posted:

Not to sound homo or anything... (again, not gay or anything...)

Are you sure you're old enough to be watching this mature content show?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can't begin to understand how anyone could think Gretchen and Elliott were villainous. The first thing Elliott did was offer Walt a great paying job with excellent medical coverage. He didn't even go straight to a handout in an attempt to respect Walt's dignity, only offering to do so when Walt refused the job. And yeah, they kind of had to distance themselves from him when it was revealed he was a meth kingpin, go figure.

How in the bloody blue hell did anyone think "These are the bad guys. Walt's out poisoning children, but these fuckers are WASPy!"

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Never saw Gretchen and Elliot as villainous, and it was obvious that Walt's ego and pride were THE key issue with Gray Matter. He could've taken the money and job offer very early on and dropped the whole meth thing.
Having said that, however, Gretchen and Elliot were still portrayed as fairly clueless and living in a bit of a bubble.
I could also understand the decision in terms of Walt wanting to do something for himself - on his terms - since he was a dying man. If none of us could relate to that decision on some level - and it was a decision made very early on in the show - then most would've stopped watching. That decision he made, to refuse the money, was essentially the show itself.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Unzip and Attack posted:

One of the better reviews of the BB finale commented that one of its main weaknesses was depicting Gretchen and Elliot as these weak, limp wristed liberals who only existed for Walt to dominate and I really agreed with that assessment.
By the time Felina comes around, Walt is one of the world's most dangerous crime bosses and has been for years. Gretchen and Elliot are still white collar intellectuals. It's partially catharsis (if you get upset by the establishing shots which show their nice home), but it's clear that:
-Walt is richer than them
-Walt is eviler than them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Walt has less than a hundred million dollars at the end, they are billionaires.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

One of the better reviews of the BB finale commented that one of its main weaknesses was depicting Gretchen and Elliot as these weak, limp wristed liberals who only existed for Walt to dominate and I really agreed with that assessment.

You don't have to be limp-wristed to be a bit intimidated when a fugitive methlord shows up in your house at night and threatens to have you murdered.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cock hero flux posted:

You don't have to be limp-wristed to be a bit intimidated when a fugitive methlord shows up in your house at night and threatens to have you murdered.
I'd just headbutt him and call the cops. You have to stand up to bullies.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
There was still a clearly comedic tone to the scene when Walt busts into their home and threatens them. They're like talking about fine dining or pate or whatever when he's in there...and then we find out that it's Badger and Skinny Pete aiming those drat lasers on them.

Jesus, we're ruining Breaking Bad for those who've never watched it.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I was tad disappointed with this week's episode. Apart from the introduction of Hector and a small insight into the epistemology of Chuck, there felt like there was little devolpment. I don't know whether it was just the re-emergence of Tuco last week tricking me back into Breaking Bad pacing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Manic X posted:

I was tad disappointed with this week's episode. Apart from the introduction of Hector and a small insight into the epistemology of Chuck, there felt like there was little devolpment. I don't know whether it was just the re-emergence of Tuco last week tricking me back into Breaking Bad pacing.

Gloves Off was a massive payoff, so I understand being disappointed with the slower episode that followed, but I have a feeling it's going to end up being the eye of the hurricane. Plus, I liked Erin the pixie ninja as a foil for Jimmy.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gretchen and Elliot represent the road not taken by Walt. The woman he might have married, the company whose success he could have shared in, the job he could have taken, the financial support he could have accepted. The main point in bringing them back for the finale is for Walt to take one last glimpse at what he might have had himself, in a different life.

I never got the impression they were meant to be disliked or resented by the viewer. The laser-pen thing makes them look goofy, sure, but the gag is predicated on them, being nice, milquetoast people who are naive about criminality.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Not to sound homo or anything but Howard owns some really great suits. When he enters the scene he just has this presence about him. It's hilarious also that Saul stole his collar pin from him for Breaking Bad. I like how all of HHM coordinates to that jackass (but effective) Hamlindigo color haha (again, not gay or anything, just admiring wardrobe for this awesome show).

We got a big gay homo up in here guys. Don't gays get instabanned here?

cock hero flux posted:

Walt was alllll over the news as a wanted fugitive and I'm sure the details about at least a few of his murders were known. I think it's fair to say any normal person would be scared shitless if he popped out of the shadows of your house in the middle of the night.

MadSparkle posted:

Jesus, we're ruining Breaking Bad for those who've never watched it.

I can't imagine watching this show without knowing BB. But apparently they are out there. My folks included as I managed to get them to watch Saul because they just moved to Albuquerque but they refuse to watch BB because "it's about drugs."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

Gretchen and Elliot represent the road not taken by Walt. The woman he might have married, the company whose success he could have shared in, the job he could have taken, the financial support he could have accepted. The main point in bringing them back for the finale is for Walt to take one last glimpse at what he might have had himself, in a different life.

I think Walt really enjoyed dominating them. As a retired meth emperor, he has a type of power that their money could never buy them. He can just make them do thing. Power > money

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Not to say it was wrong or immoral or anything but I would argue that it was very dumb, silly and reckless for them to go on charlie rose and talk about Walt when they knew he was on the loose (for a year or less at that point), many murders to his name, with nothing to lose a big big big big debt to repay (in walt's mind). Not their best judgement.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Not to say it was wrong or immoral or anything but I would argue that it was very dumb, silly and reckless for them to go on charlie rose and talk about Walt when they knew he was on the loose (for a year or less at that point), many murders to his name, with nothing to lose a big big big big debt to repay (in walt's mind). Not their best judgement.

I got the impression that it was because the Walt thing was becoming a PR situation for them. But then again, they also could've just released a statement about it, so you may have a point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't remember the specifics but They were just being interviewed on TV and the person asks about Walt. They say he only came up with the name in order to downplay his involvement to save their company a PR disaster. If no one asked, I doubt they would have brought it up.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Didn't they have a drug addition fund or scholarship or something set up in the gray matter name that they were pimping? I can't remember and could be completely making this up

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Didn't they have a drug addition fund or scholarship or something set up in the gray matter name that they were pimping? I can't remember and could be completely making this up

Yeah, Rose brings up the fact that the Grey Matter stock dropped in reaction to the Walter White news and that some critics suggested they were doing the drug charity thing as a PR move.

And I don't think they would have brought it up either, but I also think they probably knew it was going to be addressed at some point considering the circumstances.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When one of your founders is an international crime lord . . . That is a bit of a PR problem. It makes sense for them to address it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

When one of your founders is an international crime lord . . . That is a bit of a PR problem. It makes sense for them to address it.

Mcafee seems to be doing fine.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

Mcafee seems to be doing fine.

Didn't the company do some kind of PR too when it came out about McAfee?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Idran posted:

Didn't the company do some kind of PR too when it came out about McAfee?

They said they were gonna change their name, and then didn't.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
What kind of deal with the devil type poo poo have they done to still be packaged on computers in TYOOL 2016. People still haven't learned that mcafee and Norton are poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bleh Maestro posted:

What kind of deal with the devil type poo poo have they done to still be packaged on computers in TYOOL 2016. People still haven't learned that mcafee and Norton are poo poo.

They got bought out by Intel for some loving reason.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Bleh Maestro posted:

it's not a deal with the devil, they just pay companies like dell to pre-load trial versions of their crap on new computers. saul would approve

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bleh Maestro posted:

I can't imagine watching this show without knowing BB.

It's actually very easy to do so. Only the big dramatic pause when they show Tuco at the end of episode one really felt like a moment that assumed you'd watched Breaking Bad. The show's tones and even premises are pretty dissimilar despite sharing some obvious DNA.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lurdiak posted:

It's actually very easy to do so. Only the big dramatic pause when they show Tuco at the end of episode one really felt like a moment that assumed you'd watched Breaking Bad. The show's tones and even premises are pretty dissimilar despite sharing some obvious DNA.

Actually, I could see that scene working without any BB knowledge... dudes go into a house owned by a sweet little old lady, and some big bruiser pops his head out, with a gun, and whoa... unexpected.

The treat for BB fans is knowing precisely who that is. For regular audiences, it's just a neat cliffhanger.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I am actually curious as to what those who haven't watched BB think about Mike's entire storyline. At least with Jimmy, you are given glimpses of the type of lawyer he will become, and that he was possibly living the high life which crashed and burned. You still don't know the extent of criminal activity he will eventually engage in, however. A new viewer with no knowledge of BB might assume he just finds success with questionable ethics and and a tacky approach, not a full blown criminal lawyer.

With Mike, a new viewer is given no context of what Mike will become or that he will eventually work closely with Jimmy/Saul, and I could see viewers asking why they're spending so much airtime on it on Jimmy's show, especially considering Mike and Jimmy's storylines have not really intertwined yet.

Put me in the "this show lacks some context without having watched Breaking Bad: group. I think it's a little more than the character reveals and nods/references.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I am actually curious as to what those who haven't watched BB think about Mike's entire storyline. At least with Jimmy, you are given glimpses of the type of lawyer he will become, and that he was possibly living the high life which crashed and burned. You still don't know the extent of criminal activity he will eventually engage in, however. A new viewer with no knowledge of BB might assume he just finds success with questionable ethics and and a tacky approach, not a full blown criminal lawyer.

With Mike, a new viewer is given no context of what Mike will become or that he will eventually work closely with Jimmy/Saul, and I could see viewers asking why they're spending so much airtime on it on Jimmy's show, especially considering Mike and Jimmy's storylines have not really intertwined yet.

Put me in the "this show lacks some context without having watched Breaking Bad: group. I think it's a little more than the character reveals and nods/references.

Exactly. I personally have no problem with the way they've been handling the Mike storyline so far, but I think it does firmly establish BCS as being primarily a BrBa prequel series, as opposed to something that would make sense narratively standing entirely on its own.

I'm not sure how much of a problem that really is, though. Like I said, it doesn't bother me personally, since I have already seen BrBa. And my guess would be that the greater portion of this show's current audience has, as well.

AE
Jul 7, 2006

by Shine

I have seen BB entirely, but it was so long ago, I had the luxury of forgetting a lot of the early seasons. So I'm watching Better Call Saul knowing it's a prequel, but not remembering where Jimmy and Mike were when BB started. At this point, I see Jimmy and Mike already have intertwined, but they are orbiting the same criminal sun at different speeds. They align every so often. Even if it's once a season, that's enough of a background for that type of relationship to carry on.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

waitwhatno posted:

I think Walt really enjoyed dominating them. As a retired meth emperor, he has a type of power that their money could never buy them. He can just make them do thing. Power > money

The reverse is also true though. The subtext of the scene is that they can do things he can't; function in society and take care of his family. For all his money and 'power' Walt is helpless at this point. He can't even make sure that Jr. can go to college. We see Walt trying exert control as he insists that only his money be used for this, and trying to convince them that he has some legacy that will enforce the arrangement but we know that it's bull poo poo. From what we have seen of Gretchen and Elliot, they would have done these things if he had just asked, but Walt can't ask. He has to be the one who knocks one last time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Acinonyx posted:

The reverse is also true though. The subtext of the scene is that they can do things he can't; function in society and take care of his family. For all his money and 'power' Walt is helpless at this point. He can't even make sure that Jr. can go to college. We see Walt trying exert control as he insists that only his money be used for this, and trying to convince them that he has some legacy that will enforce the arrangement but we know that it's bull poo poo. From what we have seen of Gretchen and Elliot, they would have done these things if he had just asked, but Walt can't ask. He has to be the one who knocks one last time.

This is how you should post in TVIV. I like this.

Though I do enjoy the many intentional dumbass posts in here, too :allears:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I'm no professor of TV-ology but this isn't the first show to spend time on characters that only become central to the plot later on. Like in Lost where they'd spend half the episode doing flashbacks to one character's past, or in The Wire when someone would appear for a few seconds in a scene but later on would become really important to the plot. Yes, I used two popular goon shows as examples, deal with it.

Another thing is that Mike's storyline does in fact serve a purpose for people who haven't watched BB. And that is to introduce them to the criminal underworld of Gilligan's Albuquerque, and serve as Jimmy's bridge into it. Without Mike, I think the only exposure Jimmy would have to it would be those two skater kids and his brush with Tuco. Nacho does show up after that and gives Jimmy his number, true. But considering what happened in the desert, I think it's much more likely that Jimmy will be drawn into the underworld by/with Mike, rather than by an associate of the dude who almost killed him.

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009

Parity warning posted:

I love the way this show is shot and it adds a ton to every scene. The blue and yellow stairwell is great, and this ep wasn't the first time we saw it but the whole episode was full of those colors, even more than usual.

Speaking of colours, did anyone else make anything of this?

http://i.imgur.com/l2aIFnf.gifv

The only colour that stands out here to me is the purple of Kim's blouse, and the exact same shade in the giant OUT sign above her head.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Kim has a nervous breakdown, dyes her hair and becomes a kleptomaniac. She gets caught by a beat cop, aspiring to join the DEA with a soft spot for drag shows. He gets her out of a bind and they start dating but she has to keep using the fake name she gave him when he first arrested her: Marie.

We can also introduce her blonde sister. . .

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
I do want to know what draws Kim to Jimmy. Specifically in the first place.

Kim's on her way to become a high powered lawyer, maybe as a partner some day, and Jimmy was in the mail room for a long time. And he's older.

I know he has charisma out the whazoo, but still...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe she liked Mr Show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

I know he has charisma out the whazoo, but still...

No 'but still', this is your answer. We don't know enough about Kim to know what type of guy she's into, specifically, but Jimmy is either it or close.

• Locked thread