Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Squizzle posted:

In the city chat, I mentioned that I used to live in Salem, Mass and that it's literally always portrayed inaccurately, but to be fair: who cares? I understand getting smaller places, like Salem, wrong because no one is trying to do an accurate vision of them. You use Salem because you want its pop culture associations (witchcraft, Protestants, shoggoths), not because you care about nautical history or mediocre highway access or w/e. By the same token, I understand getting big, first-tier cities like New York or London wrong, because sometimes you just want the Big Best City valence and don't care about the place itself specifically.

What I don't understand is using any of the bigger, well-known, but not international marquee cities, and getting them wrong. I'm super familiar with Boston (and even more familiar with Cambridge/Somerville, since I also lived there), and have also lived in and around Philadelphia. Neither of those cities get a decent shake in pop media, usually just standing in as "northeastern but not New York". Yeah, there's a need for cities filling that role in fiction, but there are lots of other things you can do with them; and, if you're using them anyway, put at least some sort of local character into them. (DC walks the line, for me, between Iconic City and Real City. Sometimes you just want to say "here's the capital", and sometimes you want to use a mid-Atlantic swamp metropolis.)

I can only imagine what people from Chicago think about portrayals of their bullshit city and its terrible food. Anyway, all of that's not even getting down to places like, idk, St. Louis or Houston or Cleveland or whatever—places that most people don't have any strong idea of except as names on a map. Do they ever get reasonable portrayal? I honestly don't know, but I'm p. sure I can guess.

Accurate Boston would be to have every scene in a bar (but not on a Sunday) and the only thing anyone talks about are the Bruins and Patriots.

Celtics if it's a period piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

And if anyone's wondering, yes, it does weird me out a little that every place I've lived is probably within like 40 miles at most of a place D&D superstar Fishmech has lived.

I mean I'm not saying that :fishmech: is the Heroes Reborn universe version of me or something, but

yeah

it's probably true.

Well, you are a good poster and Fishmech is a bad one, so this works.

It's a crappy, rainy day, so after getting some errands done this morning, I've been spending it hitting my backlog! So far I have finished Starman Omnibus vol. 6 (I've had it sitting with like three issues left because I didn't want to finish) then read through Scott Pilgrim Color Edition vol. 6 since I figured I could ge tthrough that reasonably quickly. Gonna read Original Sin next.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am earth-4 Hermanos.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Squizzle posted:

I can only imagine what people from Chicago think about portrayals of their bullshit city and its terrible food. Anyway, all of that's not even getting down to places like, idk, St. Louis or Houston or Cleveland or whatever—places that most people don't have any strong idea of except as names on a map. Do they ever get reasonable portrayal? I honestly don't know, but I'm p. sure I can guess.

There's a scene in Breaking Bad that takes place in Houston. It's mostly indoors, but at one point you get a good look outside a window, and it's like, the opposite of Houston. They pretty clearly just filmed in Albuquerque. The only time you see cactus in Houston is if it's somebody's ornamental prickly pear

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

I can only imagine what people from Chicago think about portrayals of their bullshit city and its terrible food.

Oh no you didn'

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Squizzle posted:

In the city chat, I mentioned that I used to live in Salem, Mass and that it's literally always portrayed inaccurately, but to be fair: who cares? I understand getting smaller places, like Salem, wrong because no one is trying to do an accurate vision of them. You use Salem because you want its pop culture associations (witchcraft, Protestants, shoggoths), not because you care about nautical history or mediocre highway access or w/e. By the same token, I understand getting big, first-tier cities like New York or London wrong, because sometimes you just want the Big Best City valence and don't care about the place itself specifically.

What I don't understand is using any of the bigger, well-known, but not international marquee cities, and getting them wrong. I'm super familiar with Boston (and even more familiar with Cambridge/Somerville, since I also lived there), and have also lived in and around Philadelphia. Neither of those cities get a decent shake in pop media, usually just standing in as "northeastern but not New York". Yeah, there's a need for cities filling that role in fiction, but there are lots of other things you can do with them; and, if you're using them anyway, put at least some sort of local character into them. (DC walks the line, for me, between Iconic City and Real City. Sometimes you just want to say "here's the capital", and sometimes you want to use a mid-Atlantic swamp metropolis.)

My favorite unrealistic Philly comics moment is when Venom lived there and was checking out some warehouses and found crime instead of 18 22-year old Penn graduates making Kenneth Brakhage movies and letting dogs piss on everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nothing ever takes place in Montreal.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

there's a sci-fi anime on right now set in the future where the Earth has been divided up into three economic blocks, and the capital of the American block is Edmonton.

It features what I believe to be the first dramatic reveal of the Edmonton skyline in history.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll never understand why people keep spending their hard earned money on buying me avatars like this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'll never understand why people keep spending their hard earned money on buying me avatars like this.

That's actually a trending avatar, you're the 4th person I've seen with it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

That's because Toronto is the center of the universe. Nothing ever takes place there too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

How strange.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, home town portrayals in comics. Well, I think there was a Spider-Man comic from the 1980s where Peter and a colleague visited Belfast on an assignment for the Bugle and the summary of the Troubles read a bit like it had been written by NORAID.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i think the most i've seen amsterdam mentioned in any media whatsoever its either "fancy european place" or "den of sin/stoner nirvana".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Every Ubisoft game.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

boom boom boom posted:

there's a sci-fi anime on right now set in the future where the Earth has been divided up into three economic blocks, and the capital of the American block is Edmonton.

It features what I believe to be the first dramatic reveal of the Edmonton skyline in history.
What one? I live in Edmonton and haven't heard of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Every Ubisoft game.

Yeah but those are always just inside a building you can't leave.

Deus Ex had that mission in the Olympic Stadium and the roof didn't collapse even once though, so pretty inaccurate.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Skeematic posted:

What one? I live in Edmonton and haven't heard of it.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

It's real good.

They don't mention Edmonton until the 22nd episode tho, so don't go in expecting hardcore Edmonton fanservice right off the bat

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sydney in comics!

Honestly he almost did the city a service. The Opera House looks amazing but the two main areas are loving garbage as a performance space. The opera theatre is too small, and both it and the concert hall have embarrassingly bad acoustics. Nobody wants to spend the hundreds of millions it'd need to fix the place, and nobody wants to build an actually decent venue because we've already got one of the most famous ones in the world and the city couldn't support two.

We also doubled for Metropolis in Superman Returns and Japan in The Wolverine.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 20, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sydney in comics!

Honestly he almost did the city a service. The Opera House looks amazing but the two main areas are loving garbage as a performance space. The opera theatre is too small, and both it and the concert hall have embarrassingly bad acoustics. Nobody wants to spend the hundreds of millions it'd need to fix the place, and nobody wants to build an actually decent venue because we've already got one of the most famous ones in the world and the city couldn't support two.

We were doubled for Metropolis in Superman Returns and Japan in The Wolverine.

Also Godzilla threw the lovely American Godzilla on top of the Opera House and blew it up in Godzilla: Final Wars.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Not the worst fictional event to befall Sydney

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

boom boom boom posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

It's real good.

They don't mention Edmonton until the 22nd episode tho, so don't go in expecting hardcore Edmonton fanservice right off the bat

Thanks. I'm not too rah rah about Edmonton, but I'll still have to check it out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The lab where Extremis was invented was in Austin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Texas gets way too much pop culture coverage considering nothing ever happens in Texas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Michael Bay loving hates Chicago.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Accurate Boston would be to have every scene in a bar (but not on a Sunday) and the only thing anyone talks about are the Bruins and Patriots.

Celtics if it's a period piece.

Blue-collar Boston, yeah, but greater Boston has the starkest cultural class divides of anywhere I've lived. (Although I have wonderful memories of trying to answer a possibly blackout drunk working-class hockey fan's probing, insightful questions about my academic field on a long commuter rail T ride. A Good Train Ride.) There's a lot of great/terrible Boston culture to dig into, in fiction that evinces even a casual interest in culture.

Rhyno posted:

Oh no you didn'

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, also. Chicago declined as tommygun use did.

Archyduke posted:

My favorite unrealistic Philly comics moment is when Venom lived there and was checking out some warehouses and found crime instead of 18 22-year old Penn graduates making Kenneth Brakhage movies and letting dogs piss on everything.

ty for this post, it has brought much joy to my life

Aphrodite posted:

When I was 19 and broke, I was in a South Jersey diner with some friends at 3 AM one summer night, when the conversation turned to how fun it'd be to visit Montreal at some point. Somehow we talked ourselves into doing it that night, so the four of us left the diner, called our families to say we wouldn't be home that night, and drove up to Montreal for the day. It was an amazing experience, except when we were going to leave and two cars got into a v. bad accident about thirty feet (44⅓ Canadian feet) in front of us. But no one died, and injuries we could see were limited to a compound fracture (which my friend sacrificed the one nice tie he owned to try to wrap, hilariously inexpertly), so I still have very positive associations with the entire experience and the city of Montreal itself.

If I'm ever Lord of Comics, I will put something :krad: in Montreal.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, home town portrayals in comics. Well, I think there was a Spider-Man comic from the 1980s where Peter and a colleague visited Belfast on an assignment for the Bugle and the summary of the Troubles read a bit like it had been written by NORAID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJrovKgrTw

FutureFriend posted:

i think the most i've seen amsterdam mentioned in any media whatsoever its either "fancy european place" or "den of sin/stoner nirvana".

I once changed planes in Amsterdam! The airport had amazing urinals.

zoux posted:

The lab where Extremis was invented was in Austin.

more like

right

right?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Well, you are a good poster and Fishmech is a bad one, so this works.

tyvm

You are also a good poster, imo.

Endless Mike posted:

It's a crappy, rainy day, so after getting some errands done this morning, I've been spending it hitting my backlog! So far I have finished Starman Omnibus vol. 6 (I've had it sitting with like three issues left because I didn't want to finish) then read through Scott Pilgrim Color Edition vol. 6 since I figured I could ge tthrough that reasonably quickly. Gonna read Original Sin next.

How does Scott Pilgrim in color compare to the b&w, as a reading experience? Does it gain a lot, or what?

And citychattin', but Starman reminds me that Baltimore has some ace as gently caress depictions in non-comics media (or as I call them, the lesser arts!!!!!!). Robinson's Opal City is about the closest superhero comics, and possibly comics in general, come to really digging into Baltimore, though, isn't it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Montreal has its own super team already.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wish that guy at the door would believe me when I say I'm just going for a burger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In Chicago for c2e2 and the hotel we're staying at just booted a room for sneaking 18 loving people in to split the room cost.

The best part were the shrill voices of the complaining nerds screaming in the hall earlier.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Montreal has its own super team already.

Is the greatest superhero of Montreal a member? I'm talking, ofc, about :siren: STALLION CANUCK :siren:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would imagine there are extensive laws about him joining the Club.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

btw his non-super name is Elijah Hoss

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I wonder if there are belgian or chinese comics where the US superhero is named like HAMBURGER SWAT TEAM or PRESIDENT FOOTBALL.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

^Just fyi if we could buy namechanges for other posters, you would get one of those, Lurdiak.

Rhyno posted:

In Chicago for c2e2 and the hotel we're staying at just booted a room for sneaking 18 loving people in to split the room cost.

The best part were the shrill voices of the complaining nerds screaming in the hall earlier.

Were they stacked like cordwood on the floor? :psyduck: How did they plan to have everyone get time in the bathroom for showering and such? :psypop: How did they get to the point of having nine people agreeing to share the room and all decide "no, no—this is clearly not enough, we could definitely double this, this idea is not already bad and we would not make it ten times worse with twice as many people"? :psyboom:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Going to guess that first one wasn't a concern.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

tyvm

You are also a good poster, imo.

How does Scott Pilgrim in color compare to the b&w, as a reading experience? Does it gain a lot, or what?

And citychattin', but Starman reminds me that Baltimore has some ace as gently caress depictions in non-comics media (or as I call them, the lesser arts!!!!!!). Robinson's Opal City is about the closest superhero comics, and possibly comics in general, come to really digging into Baltimore, though, isn't it?
I'm actually surprised how much Scott Pilgrim gains being in color, for instance, the recurring plot point of Ramona changing her hair works better. Also BLOM's characters look a lot less similar when they have different hair colors. They did a killer job with it, honestly.

I haven't spent a *lot* of time in Baltimore, but I have a hard time really seeing the comparison to Opal. Opal on it's worst non-super-villain-attack day isn't as bad as a lot of parts of Baltimore on their best. Granted, there's some interesting, quirky bits parts of Baltimore that do compare nicely to Opal, but as a whole, I don't really see them as similar: Opal is very intentionally designed with an art deco look throughout, which I wouldn't describe Baltimore having in any level of significance (I'm sure art deco buildings exist throughout the city, but not as an overriding theme). Opal doesn't seem nearly as blue-collar as Baltimore, either. If anything, I guess it kinda fits geographically, though the depictions in Starman have it with pretty much nothing around it, so it would have to be like southern Maryland or something.

In other news: finished the main Original Sin series, and going through the added material in the hardcover. It's nowhere near as bad as people were saying, though I'm totally over whatever Deodato is doing with his art. The dark, muddy coloring didn't do it any favors, either.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The most I've ever split a con hotel was 6 ways. The kicker is this is only $180 a night, if you're that poor that you can only swing $10 a night you shouldn't be going to cons in big cities.

But for real, the shrill nerd voice was amazing.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Squizzle posted:

^Just fyi if we could buy namechanges for other posters, you would get one of those, Lurdiak.

Were they stacked like cordwood on the floor? :psyduck: How did they plan to have everyone get time in the bathroom for showering and such? :psypop: How did they get to the point of having nine people agreeing to share the room and all decide "no, no—this is clearly not enough, we could definitely double this, this idea is not already bad and we would not make it ten times worse with twice as many people"? :psyboom:

You could probably get 6 people on a queen if you did 4 across and 2 at the foot like dogs, so there's 12 people in a standard 2-queen room. Cot, two sofa chairs gives you at least 3 more, maybe 4 if those are the big kind of sofa chairs. So now we're up to 16. The radiant heat in that room would be blistering so that disgusting top quilt on each bed won't be necessary and could provide the final two people with bedding on the carpet.

Showering can be really regimented if you use a timer - when the CA drought was going on last summer we got free shower timers and my wife could fully shower in 4 minutes, and I don't think she was being too efficient. I remember camping years back and doing it in under 3 minutes. Separate the group into morning/night squads and regiment the prep/shower/drying and you can be done in under 30 minutes each session. Hotels are generally pretty generous with towels but you might have to get clever there, or abuse the hotel gym (if present).

If it's a decent sized hotel there will be a lobby bathroom, restaurant bathroom, maybe something near the pool. Also just will yourself to not poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was in the hotel bar discussing it with a few people and one of the staff tells us the room had a single Queen size. So if it's identical to ours I am baffled unless three slept in the bathroom and one in the closet.

• Locked thread