Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
On another site, someone asked "Why don't we have cats as big as Great Danes?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The serious answer to that question is, Because cats have a smaller genetic variety than dogs and haven't been selectively bred to produce cats for different purposes, at least not for as long as dogs.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Khazar-khum posted:

We do.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Mar 21, 2016

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things

Khazar-khum posted:

Maybe not as big as Great Danes, but I don't think you've seen a Maine Coon. Half of the pictures on Google Images are people holding particularly large ones, i.e. about as big as a medium-sized dog.

Also they're majestic as gently caress, friendly, and make great pets.

Only downside is that they shed like nuts. Otherwise they're basically cuter dogs. :kimchi:

E: My sister's Maine Coons weren't particular majestic, but...

BlueKingBar has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Mar 21, 2016

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

"Rapeseed oil is really healthy, it's basically a vegetable"

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BlueKingBar posted:

Otherwise they're basically cuter dogs. :kimchi:

You mean less cute.

Nothing is cuter than dogs.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Khazar-khum posted:

To paraphrase from a half-remembered 20 year old stand up comedy bit, you know how you'll have a loving and affectionate housecat, that you cuddle and pet and love? And how it acts when it's tired of your cuddling and petting and loving? By swiping at your face with full hellfury? Where you get a small scratch but rarely any worse damage? Do you really want to add the strength and speed necessary to have that action take off your whole head?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

RandomFerret posted:

You mean less cute.

Nothing is cuter than dogs.

This is some stupid poo poo.
Everyone knows that animals in general are the most adorable things to grace this planet. Humans excluded because we're just gross assholes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

To paraphrase from a half-remembered 20 year old stand up comedy bit, you know how you'll have a loving and affectionate housecat, that you cuddle and pet and love? And how it acts when it's tired of your cuddling and petting and loving? By swiping at your face with full hellfury? Where you get a small scratch but rarely any worse damage? Do you really want to add the strength and speed necessary to have that action take off your whole head?

Every time you see a video of a lion or a tiger or something acting like a cute little housecat, always remember this. If that lion gets tired of your poo poo, it can rip you apart. I knew a cat that would give me affectionate bites all the time, so even when they're not tired of your poo poo they'd be dangerous.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Roro posted:

This is some stupid poo poo.
Everyone knows that animals in general are the most adorable things to grace this planet. Humans excluded because we're just gross assholes.

Well, mostly mammals and small birds. Anything that lives around the ocean floor is anything but. Cough, anglerfish. Cough, gulper eel. Don't Google those if you don't like spooky creepy-crawly fish things. Primates in general aren't really cute, except maybe gorillas.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Choco1980 posted:

YES I DO

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BlueKingBar posted:

Well, mostly mammals and small birds. Anything that lives around the ocean floor is anything but. Cough, anglerfish. Cough, gulper eel. Don't Google those if you don't like spooky creepy-crawly fish things. Primates in general aren't really cute, except maybe gorillas.

If you meant apes instead of primates I can see where you're coming from but there are a ton of cute primates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu55-haigoI

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wow, Jaguars are only Near Threatened. Their habitat is being destroyed though, so that will only get worse :/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
"I'm trying to return mens rights to its roots, and reclaim it from the assholes who've turned it into a hate group".

Ugh buddy, it's always been a hate group.

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

If you meant apes instead of primates I can see where you're coming from but there are a ton of cute primates

Yeah, I did. Me no good with biology.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Len posted:

And then the Trumpking would usher in a new age and make the world great again.

Just noticed your av, and definitely think it fits the topic. What is that from? I remember having that issue as a kid, I think Deathlok was also on the cover? Google hasn't helped, but I'm now remembering how stupid comics got in the '90's, even to a ten year old. Did they really turn Spidey into a cyborg Image character?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BlueKingBar posted:

:wrong:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Khazar-khum posted:

Somebody did say, "They're called lions".

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

"Oh you didn't drink water, you drank Kool-Aid as a child." - My Grandma, to my mom
"It doesn't matter if it's cooler outside, the outside air is different and the thermostat will think it's warm again." - My Grandma again

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Just noticed your av, and definitely think it fits the topic. What is that from? I remember having that issue as a kid, I think Deathlok was also on the cover? Google hasn't helped, but I'm now remembering how stupid comics got in the '90's, even to a ten year old. Did they really turn Spidey into a cyborg Image character?

No idea I got gifted it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's got to be satire, it just hits too many Liefeld checkboxes to be real. No character would have one of those chrome maggot arms and a cybersamurai shoulder plate.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
My Coworker

"I always fill up my tank when it gets to half full, so I still have half a tank from when I bought the car 2 years ago"

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

My Coworker

"I always fill up my tank when it gets to half full, so I still have half a tank from when I bought the car 2 years ago"

The slightly less well known "gas tank of Theseus" thought experiment

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I was in an Astronomy class at a community college. The instructor was talking about the Coriolis effect and how it's a myth that water spins the opposite way in the drain in the southern hemisphere. This really annoying girl who never shut up in class pipes up with "Nuh uh! I went to Costa Rica and I saw it happen!" The instructor just kind of ignored her and moved on.

This happened like 8 years ago and I still think about it sometimes and wish I had told her Costa Rica is not in the southern hemisphere.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RandomFerret posted:

It's got to be satire, it just hits too many Liefeld checkboxes to be real. No character would have one of those chrome maggot arms and a cybersamurai shoulder plate.

It's definitely a real cover.

Spidey got into a scuffle with... Cyborg X, who broke his arm, roughed up his costume, and gave him some superficial wounds. Some scientists gave Peter the arm as a high-tech bandage to make it heal faster, and gave him normal bandages for the rest of his wounds and a monocle to cover his eye (I can't remember why). Spidey hunted down Cyborg X with the help of Dethlok, and at the end of the issue his cyber-arm was destroyed because continuity.

It's all very 90s.

E: Cyborg X looks like this:

Philippe has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Mar 24, 2016

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

BlueKingBar posted:

Primates in general aren't really cute, except maybe gorillas.
I have photographic evidence proving you wrong.

:3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PassTheRemote posted:

My Coworker

When I had a Chevy, the fuel pump cracked pretty quickly. The dealership advised me that I shouldn't let it operate below 1/2 a tank because it was used to cool the fuel pump.

Such a garbage car.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Dreddout posted:

I have photographic evidence proving you wrong.

:3:

Can someone photoshop a cigar or joint on the chimp's mouth?

Thanks in advance

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

PassTheRemote posted:

My Coworker

I like my gas like I like my sherry.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
"People in third world countries only suffer and starve because they did something wrong in a past life"

"Men nowadays get more testicular and prostate cancer because they're not as manly"

"Do you think sometimes people only get sick because they go to the doctor and are told they're sick?"

All of these from a supervisor at work, who went on to win an award for inspirational women in mining.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

"The Constitution has a ton of references to the US being a Christian nation!" Grandpa when the hell did you read the thing last?

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
I had a roommate who was convinced that he was the best and most knowledgeable at everything. He also had some very real and serious food allergies, then some that he just assumed he had, which culminated in the following exchange when I bought some cheeses to make macaroni for Thanksgiving one year.

:v: You can't have cheese in the fridge, I'm allergic.
:confused: But I thought you didn't have a dairy allergy.
:v: I have a mold allergy. If you leave it in the fridge I'll have an asthma attack.
:confused: But I just bought the cheese today. It's sealed and everything, and I'll use it all before tomorrow.
:v: Cheese is a form of mold.
:confused: What? No it's not. Some are made with mold, but...
:confused: No, it's...
:argh: CHEESE. Is a FORM. Of MOLD.

He also had weird racial things going on.

:v: I won't eat at Chinese places. I have a seafood allergy, and they won't clean the pans well enough to not make me break out even though they say they do.
:confused: But you eat at that Mexican place down the street, and they've got tons of seafood stuff that gets cooked in the pans.
:v: But I trust them to clean the pans. You can't trust Asians.
:confused: You...you know I'm Korean, right?
:v: Pff, I said Asians

He was a weird dude. He also had this thing about Fight Club being the pinnacle of philosophical thought, but mostly used the "don't let your possessions own you" idea to mock me for having furniture. Because being able to fit all of your things in a 5x8x3 closet was virtuous, you see.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

The Grammar Aryan posted:

I had a roommate who was convinced that he was the best and most knowledgeable at everything. He also had some very real and serious food allergies, then some that he just assumed he had, which culminated in the following exchange when I bought some cheeses to make macaroni for Thanksgiving one year.

:v: You can't have cheese in the fridge, I'm allergic.
:confused: But I thought you didn't have a dairy allergy.
:v: I have a mold allergy. If you leave it in the fridge I'll have an asthma attack.
:confused: But I just bought the cheese today. It's sealed and everything, and I'll use it all before tomorrow.
:confused: What? No it's not. Some are made with mold, but...
:confused: No, it's...
:argh: CHEESE. Is a FORM. Of MOLD.

He also had weird racial things going on.

:v: I won't eat at Chinese places. I have a seafood allergy, and they won't clean the pans well enough to not make me break out even though they say they do.
:confused: But you eat at that Mexican place down the street, and they've got tons of seafood stuff that gets cooked in the pans.
:v: But I trust them to clean the pans. You can't trust Asians.
:confused: You...you know I'm Korean, right?
:v: Pff, I said Asians

He was a weird dude. He also had this thing about Fight Club being the pinnacle of philosophical thought, but mostly used the "don't let your possessions own you" idea to mock me for having furniture. Because being able to fit all of your things in a 5x8x3 closet was virtuous, you see.

What's his SA name?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Grammar Aryan.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

During an avalanche safety course, cornices were brought up as a major hazard. Someone in the class puts their hand up, and asks "How do you assess cornices and when do you know it's safe to walk on?" The whole rest of the class and the instructor said in unison "YOU DON'T". Because seriously, this:

is a very, very bad idea.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

That reminds me! I run in some fairly left wing circles. Unfortunately, some people think "Capitalism is a complete shitstorm, and the West is the current center of capitalism, therefore everything that isn't "The West" or "Capitalist" is good/better." This has resulted in people accepting RT articles about the most crazy poo poo at face value and slobbering all over Putin's knob, because Russia is 'Not the West'. However, the most memorable debate I had in person was with a Maoist about North Korea, which I happen to know a fair bit about. Among other things, he went on about how it offers an alternative to capitalism, and "At least keeps the west out," and that "We can't say anything for sure because all the channels we get information through are all propaganda."

I overheard one of my roommates talking about how putin was so great because he got rid of all the gambling and corruption in russia

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I turned off my son's Xbox to regain his childhood

quote:

If I had known what I was getting myself and my son into when I bought him an Xbox and the Minecraft game for his eighth birthday, I would have put it right back on the shelf.
I can see parents shaking their heads as they read this. I'm the parent, right? Why couldn't I use my authority to set restrictions and rules and then stick to them? In my defence, I did try. But in the face of his constant begging, and whining, and the busy-ness of everyday life, the agreed gaming time would quickly span out from half an hour to one hour, and then two and then before we knew it a few hours had elapsed.
Eight-year-old wants to spend more than half an hour a day playing with Legos. Must be addicted!

quote:

The scary thing is, these behaviours bring to mind a vast number of kids I know today. If you don't believe me, just pull the plug in the middle of one of their games and watch their reaction.
Out of interest, what happens if you grab the book they're reading or push them off the swings? God drat, these kids are addicted to everything!

quote:

For me, the decision to unplug was made a short time ago when I was reading the memoirs of Jessie Lee Brown Foveaux, who was born in America at the turn of last century. It was a simple tale, overflowing with stories of a simple and amazing childhood. My favourite excerpt begins: "We built playhouses under the trees. We made mud pies and cakes, I would dream on of all the nice things I would do when I got big".
It's like the author doesn't even know what Minecraft is...

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

It's like the author doesn't even know what Minecraft is...

Oh no! Big bad parent took video game away from a kid who isn't even me!

And uh, building poo poo in the real world isn't the same as building poo poo in Minecraft. In Minecraft, you never have to explain to your mother why the picnic table is now a weight-bearing wall in a clubhouse.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's definitely a real cover.

Spidey got into a scuffle with... Cyborg X, who broke his arm, roughed up his costume, and gave him some superficial wounds. Some scientists gave Peter the arm as a high-tech bandage to make it heal faster, and gave him normal bandages for the rest of his wounds and a monocle to cover his eye (I can't remember why). Spidey hunted down Cyborg X with the help of Dethlok, and at the end of the issue his cyber-arm was destroyed because continuity.

It's all very 90s.

E: Cyborg X looks like this:

Thank you! That was driving me nuts. I may need to go in the attic next time at mom's and find my copy. I completely forgot about Cyborg X. If Leifeld had actually done this (it was Erik Larsen, at least for the cover), I think it'd be a strong contender for PYF 'Most '90's poo poo You Can Find.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tunicate posted:

I overheard one of my roommates talking about how putin was so great because he got rid of all the gambling and corruption in russia

Well, I suppose it's no longer corruption when it is the basis of his entire government :v:.

• Locked thread